EmBook - Proper support for AudioBooks

Inrego

mediacowboy

I can't wait for this to be fixed.

I discovered I can play books that only have 1 Mp3 file but not books that have multiple.

Note: On the good side I discovered books that are long enough to be full books.

Edited by mediacowboy

Dibbes

I can't wait for this to be fixed.

I discovered I can play books that only have 1 Mp3 file but not books that have multiple.

Note: On the good side I discovered books that are long enough to be full books.

Good thing is, Xmas is only about a week away... Imagine all these coders who can't wait to jump up from the dinner table where they had to sit around with a happy face for hours... They'll be extra productive after that ;)

In the meantime I went back to epubs, waiting for this to be fixed...

• Like 1

Good thing is, Xmas is only about a week away... Imagine all these coders who can't wait to jump up from the dinner table where they had to sit around with a happy face for hours... They'll be extra productive after that ;)

In the meantime I went back to epubs, waiting for this to be fixed...

Plus, a few days off from work ;)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Sireone

I gave up a long time ago when I saw this was going nowhere. Dev just took out money and ran. I now just use Smart Audiobook Player for Android.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

More than one month since your pull request and no response? 

thank you for your patience.

I gave up a long time ago when I saw this was going nowhere. Dev just took out money and ran. I now just use Smart Audiobook Player for Android.

From what i can see he has been very responsive to users here. He may not have been pushing updates but he's been here the whole time answering questions.

From what i can see he has been very responsive to users here. He may not have been pushing updates but he's been here the whole time answering questions.

Yes, inrego is great. Isnt he waiting for a pull request?

/joggs

• Like 1

Inrego

I am sorry that I have been so slow about this new version. There has been family time with holidays, busy time at work, and I just got a girlfriend. For this reason, I have previously offered to refund any purchase made of my app. I'm not sure if you've seen it, but the offer will be valid until I push a new, functional version. Just send me an e-mail or PM with the e-mail address of the account you used to buy the app (I didn't check yet how to manually refund on Apple App Store, but if you're an iOS customer, I'll look into it).

Yes, inrego is great. Isnt he waiting for a pull request?

/joggs

Both yes and no.

There is a lot of work that I could still do before the pull request is merged. And I could even finish the rewrite without the pull request ever being merged. It'd just mean I will have to implement workarounds around the kinks in Emby.

However, I would prefer that AudioBooks are handled properly in Emby before I get to that in the new version, so I won't have to implement workarounds that I will (hopefully) remove again soon.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately not much to report yet. Other than in a few days, my girlfriend will be out of country for 1-2 months, which will probably give me some more time to work on the apps.

I guess I have a little to report (but mostly to let your know that development is "active" now). I've got a good and solid backbone for the app now. Today and the following days, I will be adding Emby-functionality.

• Like 2

Progress update:

Things are being implemented slowly, because I want to implement everything perfectly, instead of just something that works like last time. So here's what's done so far.:

• I've implemented the theme of the app (dark with Emby green).
  • Login (only Emby Connect at the moment. I may implement manual server add at a later date). Built-in credential managers are used to store this sensitive information, for better security (Keychain on iOS and KeyStore on Android)
  • Browsing with offline cache at it's core. Whenever you tap something while browsing, the result from offline cache is shown at first, while a fresh version is being pulled from server in the background (if internet is connected). There's also a nifty little wheel showing while it's refreshing data, so you know when the data is fresh from server.
  • Pull-to-refresh while browsing. Yeah, I know it's maybe not so useful, but it was so easy to implement so why not.

I'm not completely done with browsing yet. AudioBooks are not shown with covers. And in order to detect whether a folder is an Audio Book, I will need to do some logic check, that I think I will be doing in the Server Plugin.

Once that is sorted, I will also need to implement details page and everything related to playback.

So as you can guess, there's still lots to do.

But the good news is, that the foundation is complete - and it seems like everyday, something new is functional in the app.

EDIT: Side note: UWP (Windows) is being a little bitch regarding styling.

Edited by Inrego
  • Like 1

sscheib

Hello,

I'd really like to buy the App on GooglePlay Store, but sadly it says, that its not available in my country (Germany).

Anything you can do about it?

Hello,

I'd really like to buy the App on GooglePlay Store, but sadly it says, that its not available in my country (Germany).

Anything you can do about it?

It's temporarily unavailable everywhere, while I finish a complete rework.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey,

How is the rework going?

Since my last update:

Server plugin now complete on browsing part (and correctly detecting audio book folders).

This week, I am on vacation, so no further progress for the next week or so.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Naenyn

Just wanted to post some encouragement. I recently discovered Emby and have immediately become a lifetime supporter. I'm very interested in this development effort. When you feel everything is ready, I will definitely be buying your apps. I’m not very happy with booksonic. =/

On a side note, what does it take to get your server plugin in to the official plugin catalog?

Edited by Naenyn

Inrego

Just wanted to post some encouragement. I recently discovered Emby and have immediately become a lifetime supporter. I'm very interested in this development effort. When you feel everything is ready, I will definitely be buying your apps. I’m not very happy with booksonic. =/

On a side note, what does it take to get your server plugin in to the official plugin catalog?

I too, was not happy with booksonic, which is why I made this. And I am also missing to have my audio book app.

I think I will make some good progress tomorrow, since I will more or less have the whole day to work on it.

Initially, when I tried to get the server plugin into the plugin catalog, Luke told me to wait until it has been around for a bit. I guess I should to able to get it up there this time around.

Inrego

A new hurdle has come up, which will delay the app some more. The cross-platform framework that I previously used to play audio, does not work with the new standards that I am using, and also doesn't work with Android Oreo.

This just means that I have to code more things by myself (implement notification and audio playback on each platform). The things I have to code, are actually things that I wanted to code anyway in order to give a better experience. But I was hoping to use this playback framework temporarily, in order to put out a working version faster. Some of the early users may remember that notification on Android was a little annoying (reappearing even if dismissed while not playing), and with buttons that skipped files instead of seconds. Also, the notification buttons didn't work at all on iOS. These issues (along with limitations on customizations) made me want to implement by myself on each platform, and now I have to do it before new version is ready for use.

Edited by Inrego