EmBook - Proper support for AudioBooks

Inrego

What do you mean can you provide a sample or idea on what you mean?

It's a bit technical (read the last couple of posts). But the short version is, that if you mix the audio files of all your audio books into a single folder, you're gonna have a bad time.

Dibbes

Have you thought about combining the filename with the file tags? Quite a lot of my audiobooks have proper tagging, though the filenaming may not be superb.

Have you thought about combining the filename with the file tags? Quite a lot of my audiobooks have proper tagging, though the filenaming may not be superb.

The project that handles this, is Emby.Naming which parses just file names. I don't think that looking at other metadata is part of the scope.

Are we moving forward?

@@Luke , what are your thoughts after reading this? Could we start by implementing a good enough solution?

Maybe split it into an API that supports Iregos app, and then handle your requirements as a separate use case. I am worried that the progress will stop as there seems to be no solution that would support your requirements so far.

Edited by joggs

Are we moving forward?

@@Luke , what are your thoughts after reading this? Could we start by implementing a good enough solution?

Maybe split it into an API that supports Iregos app, and then handle your requirements as a separate use case. I am worried that the progress will stop as there seems to be no solution that would support your requirements so far.

I am quite confident that I will be able to solve it while meeting his requirements. Hopefully I will be able to implement the changes to Emby.Naming this weekend.

UPDATE: I have implemented it last night, and sent a pull request to Luke. Now we gotta wait and see if he's happy with the changes.

Edited by Inrego
  • Like 2

I've also begun the rewrite of the app. I think that the current version of app is built in a way that makes it hard for me to fix some bugs. As I've mentioned earlier, making this app has been a learning experience, and with that experience, I got full potential out of an e-book I read recently, which taught me to do many things a lot better.

That, combined with newer and better versions of Xamarin and Visual Studio, will allow me to make a much better app that is easier for me to maintain.

• Like 2

Dibbes

Can't wait to see the new app. The current version more or less does what it needs to, but it's far from complete (this is not a complaint, far from it). You've been setting the bar fairly high for yourself when it comes to delivery. We're used to it now, dont let yourself slide :)

Can't wait to see the new app. The current version more or less does what it needs to, but it's far from complete (this is not a complaint, far from it). You've been setting the bar fairly high for yourself when it comes to delivery. We're used to it now, dont let yourself slide :)

Thank you foe the kind words. I think that look-see, you will not notice huge differences in the new app. Maybe a few improvements here and there, but mostly the same. I'm not very good at UI's so I tend to keep it simple.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Dibbes

Simple is good for these apps, so don't worry. As long as it does what it's supposed to do and can be relied upon not to crash in most circumstances, I think you'll have a happy audience... good audiobook players are pretty rare

Now let's talk about normal ebooks and comics too... *grin*

• Like 1

Simple is good for these apps, so don't worry. As long as it does what it's supposed to do and can be relied upon not to crash in most circumstances, I think you'll have a happy audience... good audiobook players are pretty rare

I know you've requested this a few times, but I want to perfect the audio book experience first, which will take a little while.

How about I add it to the todo list? [emoji16]

• Like 1

mediacowboy

This would be a nice added bonus. One place to view any type book.

• Like 1

Dibbes

I know you've requested this a few times, but I want to perfect the audio book experience first, which will take a little while.

How about I add it to the todo list? [emoji16]

I'll settle for that at this time :)

Protektor

I personally would rather see the default client and/or web interface offer proper ebook, comic and audio book support. I'm not against the client or those who want to use it but personally I prefer having few apps installed on my phone or tablet. I already have so many ebooks and audio books downloaded on my devices. But again that's just my personal preference.

mediacowboy

I personally would rather see the default client and/or web interface offer proper ebook, comic and audio book support. I'm not against the client or those who want to use it but personally I prefer having few apps installed on my phone or tablet. I already have so many ebooks and audio books downloaded on my devices. But again that's just my personal preference.

I will agree with you but anything is better then nothing.

Dibbes

I don't really mind 2 apps in this case. What I want is that I get device independent. What happens fairly often in my household is that I start reading something on an iPad, I put it down for 2 min as the Mrs. asks something, I come back and my eldest got the iPad in his hands. I'd like to be able to seamlessly continue on the Galaxy tab, another iPad, Note or even a laptop if that is the way it works out.

If that takes two apps, and both are good at what these are supposed to do, so be it :)

Edited by Dibbes

Hi,

I just bought the app last night, not realizing it was broken right now. Is there any ETA on when it might be fixed? 

I am sorry I don't have an ETA at the moment. Hopefully before years end, but I can't promise anything. I will happily refund any purchases made on the app. If you want a refund, send me an e-mail with your e-mail address that you used to purchase the app.

@@Inrego,

Do you know what prompted Luke to change the way books where handle?

Yes, it is in the progress of properly supporting audio books in Emby core. But we're not quite there yet.

But the primary reason why my app is not working at the moment, is because I am in the middle of a complete rewrite of it.

mediacowboy

That's fine. Can't wait for it to be back up and working. Miss listening to my books on my 1 hour drive to and from work.

• Like 1

I am sorry I don't have an ETA at the moment. Hopefully before years end, but I can't promise anything. I will happily refund any purchases made on the app. If you want a refund, send me an e-mail with your e-mail address that you used to purchase the app.

AH, I'm hoping for a XMas present, if not a New Year's present and if that fails, my birthday is coming up in January. :-) Don't worry about a refund, I'll somehow manage the loss... ;-)

For the first time since I bought the android app, it now works. Not sure what has changed.

Would be cool if it stays that way until your new version is released @@Inrego :-)

Will you update the existing android app or will it be a new one in the store?

Edited by joggs

For the first time since I bought the android app, it now works. Not sure what has changed.

Would be cool if it stays that way until your new version is released @@Inrego :-)

Will you update the existing android app or will it be a new one in the store?

I didn't change anything :D

It will be an update to existing app.