EmBook - Proper support for AudioBooks

Inrego

I've pushed a new update which should be available. It fixes the problems with logging in on the newest beta of server. I've also fixed issue with menu on Windows, so I will probably release Windows app soon.

Next up, I am implementing some more diagnostics into the app, so I am able to get better info when/if the app crashes for you. That will hopefully also give me some more information on the problems regarding playback with the screen locked.

Jack Burton

Still crashing at server select for me. Here's the latest error code after the new update

An error occurred on page ServersList, at caller member Handle_ItemTapped

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

at EmBook.Views.ServersList+<Handle_ItemTapped>d__8.MoveNext () [0x0009d] in <8f65bfdff6bb4ee1b851f6726b9e3b7f>:0

Inrego, do you think the new landing page might help here?  Having to auto login (like the Emby app) and go directly to your list of books would be nice.  Skipping the Sever select & Books page, which might be unnecessary if you ask me.  Not sure how many folks have multiple Emby servers hosting their books.

Still crashing at server select for me. Here's the latest error code after the new update

An error occurred on page ServersList, at caller member Handle_ItemTapped

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

at EmBook.Views.ServersList+<Handle_ItemTapped>d__8.MoveNext () [0x0009d] in <8f65bfdff6bb4ee1b851f6726b9e3b7f>:0

Hmm. That did not have the hoped information. I'm rolling out better diagnostics tools soon. Which will also allow you to send the error directly to me when you get it.

Inrego, do you think the new landing page might help here?  Having to auto login (like the Emby app) and go directly to your list of books would be nice.  Skipping the Sever select & Books page, which might be unnecessary if you ask me.  Not sure how many folks have multiple Emby servers hosting their books.

New landing page? What new landing page?

I have planned to implement automatically skipping pages with just 1 item to remove some of the tedious browsing. In addition to that, I will add a new "default page" which just shows all books that you have cached files for. This should give you easy and fast access to books that you are currently listening to. However, the way I will implement it, pretty much requires proper offline capabilities - so offline will def. be implemented first.

However, my first focus is patching up stability issues and bugs. Then when it's stable, I will improve on experience and features. Trust me - new features are the most fun to implement anyway. It's no fun to hunt bugs.

New version (1.0.10.0) is ready for install. When the app crashes for whatever reason, then it will prompt you to send crash report next time you open the app. Please do so (you can also tap "Always Send").

EDIT: SORRY! v 1.0.10.0 always crashes on server select. I'm pushing 1.0.11.0 asap!

Edited by Inrego

Just sent a log

Thank you. Can you provide some info about if the crash is reproducable for you? Or just random? If you can reproduce, can you explain to me the steps you're going through?

I've made a big step towards implementing offline capability. I've a bit of a dry period at work, so I have some extra time to put into this app. Hopefully I can push offline capability live wednesday or thursday.

Also, I just got an iPhone from work, so I can get the app on AppStore (yeah, I guess my boss is kinda nice. The only way he profits from this app, is that I get more experienced in developing apps).

So hopefully it'll be submitted to Windows Store and App Store before the end of this week.

• Like 1

mediacowboy

Thank you. Can you provide some info about if the crash is reproducable for you? Or just random? If you can reproduce, can you explain to me the steps you're going through?

I can try. What happened is I paused the book I was listening to and had to do something else for maybe 3 to 5 minutes. Went to hit play on the lock screen and nothing happened. Then opened my app to find a crash message. I told it to always send crash reports. Which now that I think about it may not have been a good idea as now I won't know if it is doing it or not. I will uninstall the app later tonight as I am currently doing college homework.

I can try. What happened is I paused the book I was listening to and had to do something else for maybe 3 to 5 minutes. Went to hit play on the lock screen and nothing happened. Then opened my app to find a crash message. I told it to always send crash reports. Which now that I think about it may not have been a good idea as now I won't know if it is doing it or not. I will uninstall the app later tonight as I am currently doing college homework.

Yeah, I did actually get 3 crash reports from you. Although one was network timeout, so I'm not too concerned about that one. The other two were related to the notification.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Just sent another log after 10 minutes of listening.

Thank you!

@@Inrego, is there any way the progress can be saved to the server, so that you can start listening on one device and continue on another?

That is exactly what it does! Every 15 seconds of listening (or when paused/stopped), it will send progress to server. You can then start the audiobook on another device and continue where you left off.

Dibbes

Ok, this is strange then, as I don't see it showing up on the server at all, not even when an item is played completely

Ok, this is strange then, as I don't see it showing up on the server at all, not even when an item is played completely

There's an explanation in the OP. I cannot easily quote it right now, since I'm on mobile

Dibbes

Yup, seen that now... still, it doesn't resume on another device. No time to dive into it though at this time.

Yup, seen that now... still, it doesn't resume on another device. No time to dive into it though at this time.

Just to make sure.. You're listening in the EmBook app, and then stop listening. Then you open the EmBook app on another device and start listening to the same book?

Then it should very much resume from where you left off on the first device.

Dibbes

that's exactly what I did... Phone ran out of battery, used another phone and it started at the beginning of that book. 

EDIT: Now it doesn't even find the server, so I'm starting to suspect the connection.

Edited by Dibbes

that's exactly what I did... Phone ran out of battery, used another phone and it started at the beginning of that book. 

EDIT: Now it doesn't even find the server, so I'm starting to suspect the connection.

A few notes:

1. Currently, the "spinner" will show on first launch, even if it has no login credentials (and thus isn't even connecting). If it just keep spinning, try to open the menu and go to the login page (this should be fixed soon).

2. If your port forwarding is not configured, you will not be able to connect outside of your home network. If your router support UPnP, then Emby should set up port forwarding automatically.

3. I am currently investigating some issues with reporting progress, and also playback stopping after a short while playing with the screen off (locked). But at least it should have saved some progress, and you should start at that on the other device, not 0.

Edited by Inrego

Dibbes

1) I gave in my credentials again on the phone I originally played the audiobook on and I got the server list. (I sent you some crash reports when selecting a server). I don't know why these were not cached anymore.

2) The normal Emby apps kept connecting and I could access through webpage from an external source too, so no issues with the port forwarding

3) I think the reason the progress wasn't reported is that I ran out of my dataplan, as I started getting alerts about this. I have the cache size on 90min, as I travel in the metro/underground quite a bit and the 4G network is appalling there.

Oh just FYI, the app and server plugin are all on the latest versions from this post and the playstore. Server is on latest stable: Version 3.2.30.0

1) I gave in my credentials again on the phone I originally played the audiobook on and I got the server list. (I sent you some crash reports when selecting a server). I don't know why these were not cached anymore.

2) The normal Emby apps kept connecting and I could access through webpage from an external source too, so no issues with the port forwarding

3) I think the reason the progress wasn't reported is that I ran out of my dataplan, as I started getting alerts about this. I have the cache size on 90min, as I travel in the metro/underground quite a bit and the 4G network is appalling there.

Oh just FYI, the app and server plugin are all on the latest versions from this post and the playstore. Server is on latest stable: Version 3.2.30.0

1. Credentials are only removed if you remove app data, or uninstall the app. To my knowledge, those are the only cases I've lost credentials.

2. Normal emby apps and app.emby.com can connect to your server even without port forwarding configured. So this is not an indication that everything's fine. I'm not quite sure how they do it, I may look into it at some point.

3. I actually think the app will crash if you don't have data when trying to save progress. However, I'm not sure since it's a case I haven't tested yet (and I will redefine this behavior in the offline-support overhaul that I'm working on).

mediacowboy

Do you still need testing done for the 10 minute lock screen issue? If not I will sit by and wait patiently.

Do you still need testing done for the 10 minute lock screen issue? If not I will sit by and wait patiently.

I mean. I know it's still a problem. I can probably reproduce myself (althought I couldn't last night, after playing around with proxy settings on my phone).

But if you do run into it, a few extra logs cannot hurt, I guess.

I didn't get much done today. Had a few tasks to do at work, plus a few out-of-house errands. Unless my boss conjures something for me to do, I should have the next 2 days more or less available to continue development.

• Like 1

mediacowboy

I mean. I know it's still a problem. I can probably reproduce myself (althought I couldn't last night, after playing around with proxy settings on my phone).

But if you do run into it, a few extra logs cannot hurt, I guess.

I didn't get much done today. Had a few tasks to do at work, plus a few out-of-house errands. Unless my boss conjures something for me to do, I should have the next 2 days more or less available to continue development.

Completely understand about work and errands. I will try again in the morning and on my way home from work.

Dibbes

1. Credentials are only removed if you remove app data, or uninstall the app. To my knowledge, those are the only cases I've lost credentials.

2. Normal emby apps and app.emby.com can connect to your server even without port forwarding configured. So this is not an indication that everything's fine. I'm not quite sure how they do it, I may look into it at some point.

3. I actually think the app will crash if you don't have data when trying to save progress. However, I'm not sure since it's a case I haven't tested yet (and I will redefine this behavior in the offline-support overhaul that I'm working on).

1) It would be interesting to check if standard cleaning apps do remove the creds... I'll check early next week

2) I meant that I'm publishing my server as a webpage to my family, the can log on with a normal browser from anywhere in the world. So yes, Port Forwarding works, as they have not complained :) (If you need a test account, let me know)

3) Not sure if it crashes, as I didn't get an option to send you reports

By the way, thanks for the patience and the responsiveness! It's appreciated