EmBook - Proper support for AudioBooks

Inrego

mediacowboy

Thanks for keeping us posted. Really can't wait to have this back.

Inrego

Thanks for keeping us posted. Really can't wait to have this back.

You're welcome. I am also really missing to have the app!

What does the plugin do at this point?

At this point, just provide api endpoints for my app for browsing (with workarounds for the wonky handling of folders), and for saving play state (workaround for playstate issues with audio books in Emby).

Inrego

I really wanted to show posters while browsing, which means I will have to be able to show a mix of folders and audio books in the same view. Something along the lines of this mockup (which I very expertly made in mspaint)

5aa53e5f0ea84_mockup.png

However, after spending like 15 hours trying to make it like this, I have to throw the towel in the ring. It's not really as easy as I thought, to mix two different "list views" like that.

So instead, folders will be shown in the same style, with a custom made "poster" for folders.

Here are a few screenshots. 

5aa53f1eb7ed9_Capture.png    5aa53f5641c1f_Capture.png

So basically, the browsing will be with posters everywhere. With custom posters for books without a poster on Emby, and custom posters for folders.

Maybe at some point, it will be changed to resemble the mockup, since I don't really like this folder-poster thing.

EDIT: Note that those screenshots are not the final design. In fact, it's already been changed quite a lot, and it looks a little bit more like the official Emby app now.

Edited by Inrego
  • Like 3

Inrego

Really missed your app when a 10 hour drive turned into 20

Yeah, I am also missing the app, and I've had to make do with podcasts in the meantime..

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

mediacowboy

Started using Smart Audio Player for my audiobooks. Couple of things I like so far is the option for 10 sec and 1 minute skip forward and backward.

Sireone

Started using Smart Audio Player for my audiobooks. Couple of things I like so far is the option for 10 sec and 1 minute skip forward and backward.

Same here. Wish there was support for Google Drive or similar though.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

mediacowboy

Same here. Wish there was support for Google Drive or similar though.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

True but connecting and transferring books isn't to bad.

Inrego

Well my collection is growing. Can you share any updates?

Not much to report yet. App is still quite far from being ready. I'm glad you found an alternative while you are waiting.

Working on this app is usually a weekend-thing. And some weekends I don't get to it, and other weekends I sit day and night and get a lot of work done.

I am usually posting here after a productive weekend to give you a status-update.

• Like 1

gwBGfJ8xvczHo3t

I am tagging all my audiobooks at the moment and scraping metadata from audible which includes also the ASIN number and book description. Which metadata tag fields is emby using and showing in the interface?

For example, if an audiobook is part of a collection, i use the fields "grouping" and "contentggrouping" to store this information. Any chance to get this recognized and therefore sorted in emby somehow?

Gesendet von meinem m8 mit Tapatalk

• Like 1

mediacowboy

I am tagging all my audiobooks at the moment and scraping metadata from audible which includes also the ASIN number and book description. Which metadata tag fields is emby using and showing in the interface?

For example, if an audiobook is part of a collection, i use the fields "grouping" and "contentggrouping" to store this information. Any chance to get this recognized and therefore sorted in emby somehow?

Are you doing this manually or using a program or script?

gwBGfJ8xvczHo3t

Are you doing this manually or using a program or script?

I am using mp3tag for tagging with a web source script which parses audible by artist and album name.

EDIT: Thread in MP3Tag Community has been moved to developement Section. Current Link below:

https://community.mp3tag.de/t/ws-audible-albums-and-series/41227

Edited by gwBGfJ8xvczHo3t
  • Like 1

Inrego

Status update: browsing is now complete. Unfortunately, a lot of hours went into fixing some issues with labels under posters. But it worked out in the end.

Audio book details page is started, but mostly just copied from the old app. It needs a little more polish, and then it's time to start implementing some playback.

So here's a small list of what's still missing:

• Audiobook details page (in progress)
  • Now playing page (the one with playback control, progress, huge poster etc)
  • Actual playback
  • Notifications

Those are the minimum before beta testing begins.

Then there's also the on-deck page (list of books with progress, list of books that are available offline etc).

And of course also a settings page

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
Inrego

Hey. I'm sorry to report that there hasn't been much development since my last update. I've had a very busy project at work, which just launched recently. So I should have time to continue development in the coming days. Actually, I did do a little bit last night, but that was mostly just updating tools and libraries. Microsoft recently released Xamarin Forms 3.0, which is what I use to develop UI across platforms. This upgrade brings me better options for styling, and should also give faster startup-time, along with a few other improvements.

Upgrading to 3.0 was a breeze, so development should continue soon.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
Inrego

@@Inrego may i ask why this is developed "separately", and not by contributing and enhancing the existing apps?

The apps are closed source.

Dibbes

I was more wondering if there was any further development with the summer holidays coming up and all...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

daedalus

The apps are closed source.

i more meant why not contributing to make this a real server feature so that the existing apps can use it

cause to this day it doesn't seem that there is someone who cares bout this

He has, but a lot of the work required is at the UI level in the apps.