EmBook - Proper support for AudioBooks

Inrego

Looks like boss finally thinks I've been slacking off work too much. He'll start me on a project tomorrow, so will not have as much time for updates

Looks like boss finally thinks I've been slacking off work too much. He'll start me on a project tomorrow, so will not have as much time for updates

Weekend is coming... hahaha

Sounds like you got some pretty shitty network conditions! But I guess that's good - in the sense that we'll for sure find all the places the app is weak towards that :D

I have been using public wifi and travel in the metro where mobile coverage is scanty at best... it´s not nearly as crashy when I´m on a stable wifi.

I'm also busy most of the weekend :P

Anyway, I managed to get some fixes in for some of the crashes that has been reported. I am uploading new version now, so it should be available soon.

Seems like something has broken/changed (possibly server side), so the app doesn't really work atm. Will investigate

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Seems like something has broken/changed (possibly server side), so the app doesn't really work atm. Will investigate

Apparently it was just my server being down. I'll fix that so app will work (offline-mode) even if that happens.

iOS app has been approved. Should be available within a day or two

Hope I'll see it in the Spanish store then :)

What about the Windows App?

Hope I'll see it in the Spanish store then :)

What about the Windows App?

My account is awaiting verification. Should take 3-4 days (from yesterday). Once that's verified, I've filled out all the forms and such, so app should be ready for submission.

mediacowboy

Anyone else seeing the app disappear from the home screen with updates?

It could just be my Samsung S8 plus as I am also not getting notifications from tapatalk.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Im so damn excited for this, but im not gonna have time to dive down the emby rabbit hole till next week most likely. in the mean time, i got a couple things:

1) what are you guys using for media management. I'm still doing everything manually w mp3tag and a cutting tool, but im hoping there might be some better options floating around these days. last i heard, calibre has some clunky abook tools built in, and i think the new lazylibrarian fork could probably handle some postprocessing since they have abook support now, but haven't set it up yet. the dream is something i can point at my swamp of an abook dir and have it cleaned, and put in the ideal embook format.

2) off topic, but how's the emby ebook experience? i was gonna go w one of these: https://github.com/janeczku/calibre-web or https://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/libreread/ but now that i have emby and a premier lol, im wondering if it might make sense to use emby as a complete book tool. 

3) I know its supper early in dev, but this really is the holy freaking grail of abook support so im thinking 2 things, 1 people need to know about this, and 2 it might be useful to expand beyond a single emby thread. Im a good example of someone who would never have even looked at emby if it wasn't for what you're doing here, and there are absolutely a ton of non emby users that will jump on this the second its more public. Just wondering what ur thoughts are  @@Inrego on a chatroom (my votes for gitter) and a subreddit. I already grabbed r/embook for you if you want it, lmk. 

Anyway, keep up the great work!

Im so damn excited for this, but im not gonna have time to dive down the emby rabbit hole till next week most likely. in the mean time, i got a couple things:

1) what are you guys using for media management. I'm still doing everything manually w mp3tag and a cutting tool, but im hoping there might be some better options floating around these days. last i heard, calibre has some clunky abook tools built in, and i think the new lazylibrarian fork could probably handle some postprocessing since they have abook support now, but haven't set it up yet. the dream is something i can point at my swamp of an abook dir and have it cleaned, and put in the ideal embook format.

2) off topic, but how's the emby ebook experience? i was gonna go w one of these: https://github.com/janeczku/calibre-web or https://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/libreread/ but now that i have emby and a premier lol, im wondering if it might make sense to use emby as a complete book tool.

3) I know its supper early in dev, but this really is the holy freaking grail of abook support so im thinking 2 things, 1 people need to know about this, and 2 it might be useful to expand beyond a single emby thread. Im a good example of someone who would never have even looked at emby if it wasn't for what you're doing here, and there are absolutely a ton of non emby users that will jump on this the second its more public. Just wondering what ur thoughts are @@Inrego on a chatroom (my votes for gitter) and a subreddit. I already grabbed r/embook for you if you want it, lmk.

Anyway, keep up the great work!

Thank you for the kind words. Currently, the app is still in beta and fairly new. It still has a few issues and missing features that I'd like to work on before marketing to the masses.

Also, I'm kind of in a phase where I'm considering to drop Emby as the backend, and create my own instead, since I could do so much more I think with a backend that is written from ground up, with audio books in mind.

Just Google books. In fact, most of that code is copied from the bookshelf plugin. I just changed it to save metadata on the folder instead, and added an option for manual override with isbn.txt

Also, it runs as a scheduled task instead as a proper metadata provider plugin, for 2 reasons:

1: class created for audio book metadata doesn't get called at all from server plugin. I posted a thread about the issue/bug, I'll link it here when I get on my pc.

2: in Emby, the individual files that make up the audio book, are the ones with the audio book type. I didn't want to save metadata for each file, but just the book. So that's why I save it on the folder instead. iirc, you don't get enough information about the item you're matching, to find the parent.

EDIT: Link to thread that mentions issue with IRemoteMetadataProvider

We dropped google books due to the api limit. I imagine if we were ever going to pull it into the core then that's an issue we'd have to figure out.

We dropped google books due to the api limit. I imagine if we were ever going to pull it into the core then that's an issue we'd have to figure out.

@@Luke & @@Inrego: have a look at how Calibre does it, as they seem to have gotten around that: http://code.calibre-ebook.com/dist/src

or github: git://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibre.git

Edited by Dibbes
  • Like 1

mediacowboy

Just sent a log. I believe it was because it sat ideal for over an hour

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Jack Burton

Well I've tried the app out and overall, it's great! Just have some quick questions

1. I'm getting  a crash popup every time I open the app. So I open it, everything works fine, then close it, all good. Next time I open it, I get a pop up saying it crashed last time. The app starts fine still and works, just have to clear the pop up so it's not really affecting the apps use.

2. Cache. Is this basically downloaded? I've set it to 90 mins, so does that mean the files with the check mark won't use data? Also, I'm assuming once a file is completed the app auto caches the next file provided there's data access?

3. One thing I love about the podcast app I use is after pausing/stopping etc, it automatically jumps back 5 seconds. Also with the same app there's 2 fast forward/rewind buttons, one for +/- 5 sec and one for +/- 30 sec. Any chance these features could be looked into?

The apps coming along really nicely, you're doing the Media Lord's work @@Inrego

Well I've tried the app out and overall, it's great! Just have some quick questions

1. I'm getting a crash popup every time I open the app. So I open it, everything works fine, then close it, all good. Next time I open it, I get a pop up saying it crashed last time. The app starts fine still and works, just have to clear the pop up so it's not really affecting the apps use.

2. Cache. Is this basically downloaded? I've set it to 90 mins, so does that mean the files with the check mark won't use data? Also, I'm assuming once a file is completed the app auto caches the next file provided there's data access?

3. One thing I love about the podcast app I use is after pausing/stopping etc, it automatically jumps back 5 seconds. Also with the same app there's 2 fast forward/rewind buttons, one for +/- 5 sec and one for +/- 30 sec. Any chance these features could be looked into?

The apps coming along really nicely, you're doing the Media Lord's work @@Inrego

1. Please do tap send report when it happens. It basically means that it crashed while it was in the background. Maybe it's just a minor inconvenience to you, but it's unexpected behavior, and might be better if it just reopens where you closed it.

2. All your assumptions are correct. However, if you are connected to the internet, it will keep using a tiny bit of data to send progress reports to server.

3. Your first request is already on my to-do list. But since it was my own request, and no-one else had asked for it, I had de-prioritized it.

The buttons for forward and rewind were once there, but their performance was so bad, that it kind of ruined the experience of using them. They were then hidden until I make a proper implementation.

• Like 1

And for everyone: I've pushed a new version that uses another playback framework. Hopefully that will solve the lock screen playback issues. It does seem fixed, but would love your feedback too.

Jack Burton

1. Please do tap send report when it happens. It basically means that it crashed while it was in the background. Maybe it's just a minor inconvenience to you, but it's unexpected behavior, and might be better if it just reopens where you closed it.

3. Your first request is already on my to-do list. But since it was my own request, and no-one else had asked for it, I had de-prioritized it.

The buttons for forward and rewind were once there, but their performance was so bad, that it kind of ruined the experience of using them. They were then hidden until I make a proper implementation.

1. Will do! It happened to me 7 or 8 times today so I didn't want to spam ya, but I'll send one every time now

3. Great to hear, just getting better and better :D

1. Will do! It happened to me 7 or 8 times today so I didn't want to spam ya, but I'll send one every time now

3. Great to hear, just getting better and better :D

Don't worry about spamming me. It just goes to a web interface, where I can see the number of times that exception occurred, and how many users experienced it. It helps me prioritize which exceptions to look into.

Inrego, is this api limit something your plugin could in theory run into?

It could, in theory. But I took careful considerations not to spam the api. Once I've grabbed info from the api, I save a tag on the folder. As long as that tag stays, the api will not be called again for that folder. If the user wants to refresh metadata, they'll have to go to metadata manager and remove the tag.

EDIT: So if the metadata grab is automatic once incoorporated into core, then we'll probably see api limits once the update rolls out. But currently, I've set the scheduled task to not run automatically, and I believe that will also result in a slow roll-out that does not incur problems on the api limit.

Edited by Inrego

By the way, iOS and Windows app are a bit further delayed.. Processing tax information on Apple App Store is apparently taking a while. And Windows app was rejected due to the app crashing after publishing.

mediacowboy

Just sent you an error log maybe 3 minutes ago. The app quit responding when I open clash royal. Don't judge.

Also I have noticed that when resuming a book it plays the first 5 seconds and the loops back plays it again and continues as normal.

Just sent you an error log maybe 3 minutes ago. The app quit responding when I open clash royal. Don't judge.

Also I have noticed that when resuming a book it plays the first 5 seconds and the loops back plays it again and continues as normal.

That error you sent seems to be the most common, and it's a timeout on web request. 3 users have experienced it (including myself). However, I don't really have information about which request. I guess I'll just have to go through all places in my app where I make web requests, and make sure to handle exceptions (I guess it's something I should've done from the beginning).

EDIT: Oh, and regarding your other issue. I'm a bit unsure of your description. Can you elaborate? Possibly write steps to reproduce?

Edited by Inrego

mediacowboy

To reproduce.

Force close the app

Open it back up

Resume audiobook

It starts playing

Then 5 - 6 seconds in it goes back to the resume time

Then plays normal