EmBook - Proper support for AudioBooks

Inrego

mediacowboy

Exactly. Yes I have a book library and grab audiobook metadata has run on my server

I have yes. There was one I had when I first tried out emby. Both show up as options

After I selected the old one it went away and was able to select the correct one with no problems

mediacowboy

I am able to connect and listen on Wi-Fi.

I am unable to connect on 4G. I get the following message. d08441c683a6ec36cf28c18baf92392c.jpg

Letters

This looks excellent, I'm eagerly awaiting testing the iOS app. Hopefully some of these improvements can also make it into the official Emby server as well.

When implementing google cast support, I should note that casting .m4b files in the current official Emby app results in the book to be transcoded and played back at chipmunk speeds on chromecast audio. Obviously not your bug, but something look into if you plan on using Emby's existing google cast support.

Inrego

I am able to connect and listen on Wi-Fi.

I am unable to connect on 4G. I get the following message.

Are you able to log into the official Emby app from 4G? Have you checked that your connection is otherwise fine? I haven't checked what the conditions are for it to work over 4G, I simply just tested that it does work on 4G for me.

I will test soon and get back to you.

Edited by Inrego

mediacowboy

Are you able to log into the official Emby app from 4G? Have you checked that your connection is otherwise fine? I haven't checked what the conditions are for it to work over 4G, I simply just tested that it does work on 4G for me.

I will test soon and get back to you.

I did test and I am able to connect to my server with emby connect on 4G. To honest this is really ever the only time I have ever used emby connect.

jordy

HI, just playing around with your plugin and have a question.

I have only a few Audiobooks at this point they are all from the Terry Brooks collection

Directory structure is: E\Audiobooks\Terry Brooks\Book Name\Book Name.mp3

Most of these book titles begin with "The", as in "The Sword of Shannara", "The Elfstones of Shannara" etc

The Folders and Book Names all start with "The" yet after running the plugin, the book titles in Metadata Manager are presented without "The" in the title. I also have all these books in text version in Calibre and they all have the correct isbn (which I have also added in isbn.txt as per your instructions) and are all correctly named with the preceding "The" in the title.

Is this something that the metadata source is providing or a bug in the plugin?

Thanks

Edited by jordy

Inrego

I've noticed some problems with playback for longer than a short time, when the screen is locked. Just to let you know that I'm aware of it, and that is my top priority to fix atm.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Inrego

HI, just playing around with your plugin and have a question.

I have only a few Audiobooks at this point they are all from the Terry Brooks collection

Directory structure is: E\Audiobooks\Terry Brooks\Book Name\Book Name.mp3

Most of these book titles begin with "The", as in "The Sword of Shannara", "The Elfstones of Shannara" etc

The Folders and Book Names all start with "The" yet after running the plugin, the book titles in Metadata Manager are presented without "The" in the title. I also have all these books in text version in Calibre and they all have the correct isbn (which I have also added in isbn.txt as per your instructions) and are all correctly named with the preceding "The" in the title.

Is this something that the metadata source is providing or a bug in the plugin?

Thanks

It sounds like the metadata source. I can investigate when I get home (I'm currently at a convention by Google regarding web development)

jordy

It sounds like the metadata source. I can investigate when I get home (I'm currently at a convention by Google regarding web development)

Ok. It seems to have fixed itself now. One other issue is it picks the wrong book if there are mutlie books with same title. Can you make it look for title and author or present all choices so we can get the right one. Tks

Sent from my HUAWEI MT7-L09 using Tapatalk

Inrego

Ok. It seems to have fixed itself now. One other issue is it picks the wrong book if there are mutlie books with same title. Can you make it look for title and author or present all choices so we can get the right one. Tks

The thing is, it's a background task so I can't really present you with choices. If it picks the wrong one, just provide ISBN number to make sure it finds correct match.

jordy

Yeah, I can do that. Just thought it was supposed to be automatic. Not a biggie [emoji3] ln a little disappointed that the Android app doesn't support anything less than V6. I'm on 5.1.1 so not so good for me [emoji53]

Sireone

Can you add an option to long press a title to mark as listened? I started a few chapters from the Emby app, now after installing EmBook, it wants me to start over. Seems like it's not adhering to Emby resume points

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Inrego

Can you add an option to long press a title to mark as listened? I started a few chapters from the Emby app, now after installing EmBook, it wants me to start over. Seems like it's not adhering to Emby resume points

Just tap the file list icon in the upper right corner, tap the file you want to skip to, and press play.

Sireone

Just tap the file list icon in the upper right corner, tap the file you want to skip to, and press play.

Yep, I know that works, but wanted to mark it as played, with a checkbox. Similar to how you can click on the three dots of an Emby movie and click 'Mark as watched'

Inrego

Yep, I know that works, but wanted to mark it as played, with a checkbox. Similar to how you can click on the three dots of an Emby movie and click 'Mark as watched'

Ah, now I get it. I was considering doing that, but was unsure how to do it best.. there's 2 ways the way I see it..

1. Mark all files previous to current position as watched. So the watched state sort of matches current position. So if you start up a new book that has 40 files, and immediately seek to the middle, we'll mark first 20 files as watched.

2. Mark a file as watched when you have listened to it. So if you seek to the middle of same book, just mark the 20th file as watched (once you've played it to the end).

Sireone

Ah, now I get it. I was considering doing that, but was unsure how to do it best.. there's 2 ways the way I see it..

1. Mark all files previous to current position as watched. So the watched state sort of matches current position. So if you start up a new book that has 40 files, and immediately seek to the middle, we'll mark first 20 files as watched.

2. Mark a file as watched when you have listened to it. So if you seek to the middle of same book, just mark the 20th file as watched (once you've played it to the end).

I'll probably lean towards the latter as if someone wants to jump ahead because they want to hear a particular chapter, they can always go back where they left off.

Inrego

I'll probably lean towards the latter as if someone wants to jump ahead because they want to hear a particular chapter, they can always go back where they left off.

I'll add it to the todo. But first priority is getting it stable, and then probably a few other features like proper offline support.

Edited by Inrego

Dibbes

I like this! 

Some feedback:

Server:

• can you use another field than Sort-title? I'm a big SciFi and Fantasy fan and most of these books are series. Can the plugin not add an ISBN field to the metadata manager?
  • Metadata for nested folders is not found. For example I have a path: "\\FS03\Audiobooks\Audiobooks\Bernard Cornwell - Sharpe Series\Bernard Cornwell - 01 - Sharpe's Tiger\<MP3 audiofiles here>". No metadata is pulled for this.

The Android App:

• I noticed that the Android app has the "Delete Played Files" turned on by default. I have some doubts about that.
  • If selecting another books library (For example my comics library) and click through, it won't find any MP3's, obviously. I will eventually end up in my complete library overview though, which I found strange.

Inrego

I like this! 

Some feedback:

Server:

• can you use another field than Sort-title? I'm a big SciFi and Fantasy fan and most of these books are series. Can the plugin not add an ISBN field to the metadata manager?
  • Metadata for nested folders is not found. For example I have a path: "\\FS03\Audiobooks\Audiobooks\Bernard Cornwell - Sharpe Series\Bernard Cornwell - 01 - Sharpe's Tiger\<MP3 audiofiles here>". No metadata is pulled for this.

The Android App:

• I noticed that the Android app has the "Delete Played Files" turned on by default. I have some doubts about that.
  • If selecting another books library (For example my comics library) and click through, it won't find any MP3's, obviously. I will eventually end up in my complete library overview though, which I found strange.

As far as I've been able to figure out, I can not add a new field to metadata manager. Sure, I can save ISBN as a provider ID and that would work. Problem is, that you will not be able to see/clear it in metadata manager, so you cannot "queue" it for metadata grab again. Then, I tried using tags. But it seems there's a bug in Emby where tags are not saved across server restart. Possibly I should report that bug, and hopefully it's fixed soon so I can use that instead of Sort Title.

I do believe it does indeed search for it even in that nested layout. Chances are, that it doesn't find a match. In your example, it would search for title "Bernard Cornwell - 01 - Sharpe's Tiger", and strip out symbols before looking for a match on title. Try providing isbn.txt instead.

I enabled "Delete Played Files" by default, because if it's off by default, you may end up with a full device after listening a bunch. Full of audio files that you've already listened to. I think I will keep it like this. It is just a setting, after all. If you disagree with the default behavior, you can just change it.

Regarding your last point, I didn't quite understand what you mean. 

Dibbes
  1. Yes, I really think that is not working the way it was intended
  2. I'll try with the ISBN's and come back to you
  3. I wasn't clear if this was local device or server too. If it's local device only, yes, I completely agree
  4. When I start the app, it shows the 3 books libraries: Audiobooks, Comics and E-Books, which each have language folders below. So if I tap Comics, English, Complete Marvel Chronology it shows the list of CBR's. (I would have expected to see an empty folder, as it doesn't (yet) support CBR's) When tapping the CBR, it gives me the full list of all my libraries published on the server which I can then browse, though not play.

EDIT Point 3: Is there a possibility to get a pop up at the end of the book to delete the files yes/no?

Edited by Dibbes

Sireone

When does the play state save?  I tried to pause/stop from my Pixel and resume from Emby web browser and it doesn't seem to be in sync.

Inrego

When does the play state save? I tried to pause/stop from my Pixel and resume from Emby web browser and it doesn't seem to be in sync.

Because of how flawed playback in official clients is, it never really occurred to me to support this. These flawed are what drove me to starting this project in the first place.

The problem primarily lies with resume settings. Resume settings in Emby should not really apply to audiobooks, add it doesn't make any sense. With default settings, Emby will never save state on files less than 5 minutes (many audiobooks are split into 4-minute slices). That means no matter what, the file will be marked as watched with no resume position when playback is stopped. If the file is still longer than that, it will be marked as watched and no resume position saved if you've listened to more than x% of the file.

While this makes great sense in videos with credits, it can completely ruin the audiobook experience. I tried to circumvent the behavior in the server plug-in, but it didn't seem possible.

What I was left with, was that official Emby clients will pretty much always ruin the resume position.

So what I was left with was 2 options:

1: ask users to disable all resume settings, which will in turn ruin the video experience.

2: manage current state/resume position in a way that is non-supported by official Emby clients.

I went with the latter, which means that audiobooks should only be played by the apps that I provide.

Note that all above observations are less problematic in audiobooks that are just a single file. Because in that case, resume settings are only a problem in the first x% and last y%. But it does still apply, so if you stop listening in the last 5%, any official client will drop your resume position and mark as watched.

Perhaps this projects will make it clear to Emby devs which problems it has with audiobooks at core level, and then it may be fixed, and we can get better cross-support. But until some things are fixed at a core level, we have to work with a few workarounds.

EDIT: forgot to mention what workaround I implemented. To get around Emby's resume settings, my plug-in adds a webservice from which the app can save progress on folder level. Generally this is also more interesting than saving progress on individual files. Imagine a book with a hundred 4-minute files. It's not really interesting to know the resume state for each individual file. Just the overall book progress.

Edited by Inrego

Inrego

1. Yes, I really think that is not working the way it was intended
  2. I'll try with the ISBN's and come back to you
  3. I wasn't clear if this was local device or server too. If it's local device only, yes, I completely agree
  4. When I start the app, it shows the 3 books libraries: Audiobooks, Comics and E-Books, which each have language folders below. So if I tap Comics, English, Complete Marvel Chronology it shows the list of CBR's. (I would have expected to see an empty folder, as it doesn't (yet) support CBR's) When tapping the CBR, it gives me the full list of all my libraries published on the server which I can then browse, though not play.

EDIT Point 3: Is there a possibility to get a pop up at the end of the book to delete the files yes/no?

1. From quick tests, it seems like it may have been fixed already.

3. It's only local device. Regarding your request, I think it makes sense to just use the same toggle in settings to determine if I should delete all book files when book ends. Agree? I will also add buttons to file list to delete all files, and to download rest of book.

4. Basically, it looks for libraries of type book. Then you browse folders and if it encounters a folder with items of type AudioBook - it will present it as an AudioBook. I'm not really quite sure what is happening in your case.

Inrego

iOS app is submitted to the App Store. I don't really know why, but I have this gut feeling it'll probably get rejected. I guess I've read too many horror stories on the web :P

Damn it was quite a process. I've spent more time submitting the app to App Store, than development time for iOS. I haven't spent too much time yet on iOS though, which the "known issues" list can attest.

Edited by Inrego

Dibbes

Any idea what causes this:

599dae6727af5_Untitled.png

2017-08-23 18:30:27.155 Info HttpServer: HTTP GET http://192.168.1.80:8096/emby/Items/475af7b4b46ef75dc94c6b0069467428/Images/Backdrop/5?tag=012b9f81345f7856ce7f34173047f405&maxWidth=888&quality=80. UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) EmbyTheater/2.8.1 Chrome/53.0.2785.143 Electron/1.4.16 Safari/537.36
2017-08-23 18:30:27.470 Info HttpResultFactory: Transmit file C:\Users\media\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\cache\temp\5d68d9d692a44cf4bd968040301ad690.webp
2017-08-23 18:30:27.471 Info HttpServer: HTTP Response 200 to 192.168.1.162. Time: 316ms. http://192.168.1.80:8096/emby/Items/475af7b4b46ef75dc94c6b0069467428/Images/Backdrop/5?tag=012b9f81345f7856ce7f34173047f405&maxWidth=888&quality=80 
2017-08-23 18:30:28.457 Info HttpServer: HTTP POST http://emby:8096/ScheduledTasks/Running/b6b12a24de0f137854069b406ddd7397. UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/61.0.3163.49 Safari/537.36
2017-08-23 18:30:28.460 Info TaskManager: Executing Grab audiobook metadata
2017-08-23 18:30:28.461 Info HttpServer: HTTP Response 204 to 192.168.1.162. Time: 3ms. http://emby:8096/ScheduledTasks/Running/b6b12a24de0f137854069b406ddd7397 
2017-08-23 18:30:28.477 Info HttpServer: HTTP GET http://emby:8096/ScheduledTasks?isHidden=false. UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/61.0.3163.49 Safari/537.36
2017-08-23 18:30:28.479 Info HttpServer: HTTP Response 200 to 192.168.1.162. Time: 3ms. http://emby:8096/ScheduledTasks?isHidden=false 
2017-08-23 18:30:28.480 Debug JsonSerializer: Deserializing file C:\Users\media\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\data\ScheduledTasks\9be21c93-4ee4-4926-9f41-b7c2b4d4d1d7.js
2017-08-23 18:30:34.209 Info HttpClient: HttpClientManager GET: https://www.googleapis.com/books/v1/volumes?q=isbn:9789021004211&startIndex=0&maxResults=5&key=AIzaSyBTrV-3gLP_cZn6tQM9nj_Mqh37IYjYT9A
2017-08-23 18:30:34.478 Error HttpClient: Error ProtocolError getting response from https://www.googleapis.com/books/v1/volumes?q=isbn:9789021004211&startIndex=0&maxResults=5&key=AIzaSyBTrV-3gLP_cZn6tQM9nj_Mqh37IYjYT9A
	*** Error Report ***
	Version: 3.2.28.0
	Command line: C:\Users\media\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe -service
	Operating system: Microsoft Windows NT 6.2.9200.0
	64-Bit OS: True
	64-Bit Process: True
	Processor count: 8
	Program data path: C:\Users\media\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server
	Application directory: C:\Users\media\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system
	System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (403) Forbidden.
	   at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.EndGetResponse(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
	   at System.Threading.Tasks.TaskFactory`1.FromAsyncCoreLogic(IAsyncResult iar, Func`2 endFunction, Action`1 endAction, Task`1 promise, Boolean requiresSynchronization)
	System.Net.WebException
	   at System.Threading.Tasks.TaskFactory`1.FromAsyncCoreLogic(IAsyncResult iar, Func`2 endFunction, Action`1 endAction, Task`1 promise, Boolean requiresSynchronization)

2017-08-23 18:30:34.481 Error TaskManager: Error
	*** Error Report ***
	Version: 3.2.28.0
	Command line: C:\Users\media\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe -service
	Operating system: Microsoft Windows NT 6.2.9200.0
	64-Bit OS: True
	64-Bit Process: True
	Processor count: 8
	Program data path: C:\Users\media\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server
	Application directory: C:\Users\media\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system
	MediaBrowser.Model.Net.HttpException: The remote server returned an error: (403) Forbidden. ---> System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (403) Forbidden.
	   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpClientManager.HttpClientManager.<SendAsyncInternal>d__22.MoveNext()
	--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
	   at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
	   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpClientManager.HttpClientManager.<SendAsync>d__19.MoveNext()
	   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpClientManager.HttpClientManager.<Get>d__16.MoveNext()
	   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter`1.GetResult()
	   at EmBook.ServerPlugin.GoogleBooks.GoogleBooksProvider.<FetchBookIdFromISBN>d__17.MoveNext()
	   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.ConfiguredTaskAwaitable`1.ConfiguredTaskAwaiter.GetResult()
	   at EmBook.ServerPlugin.GoogleBooks.GoogleBooksProvider.<HandleAudioBook>d__8.MoveNext()
	   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.GetResult()
	   at EmBook.ServerPlugin.MetadataProvider.<Execute>d__6.MoveNext()
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.ScheduledTasks.ScheduledTaskWorker.<ExecuteInternal>d__68.MoveNext()
	MediaBrowser.Model.Net.HttpException
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpClientManager.HttpClientManager.<SendAsyncInternal>d__22.MoveNext()
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpClientManager.HttpClientManager.<SendAsync>d__19.MoveNext()
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpClientManager.HttpClientManager.<Get>d__16.MoveNext()
	   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter`1.GetResult()
	   at EmBook.ServerPlugin.GoogleBooks.GoogleBooksProvider.<FetchBookIdFromISBN>d__17.MoveNext()
	   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.ConfiguredTaskAwaitable`1.ConfiguredTaskAwaiter.GetResult()
	   at EmBook.ServerPlugin.GoogleBooks.GoogleBooksProvider.<HandleAudioBook>d__8.MoveNext()
	   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.GetResult()
	   at EmBook.ServerPlugin.MetadataProvider.<Execute>d__6.MoveNext()
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.ScheduledTasks.ScheduledTaskWorker.<ExecuteInternal>d__68.MoveNext()
	InnerException: System.Net.WebException
	System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (403) Forbidden.

2017-08-23 18:30:34.481 Info TaskManager: Grab audiobook metadata Failed after 0 minute(s) and 5 seconds 

Started getting this after a server restart, though I think this is just a wrong ISBN in the file.

Edited by Dibbes