Emby server memory usage

parrish

Jdiesel

I migrated very early on in the .Net testing stages, I feel like things are a lot more seemless now. Definitely worth the small hassle to do though.

• Like 1

BloodyIron

Hmmm, neat. I don't mind re-getting the meta info tho ;D Might even be a good idea to wipe and re-get it in-case there's any bad info in there.

No info should be lost.  The plugin will backup all your users and user data, but worst case I would backup your library.db as that is where the info is stored.  Not sure of file location on non-Windows systems.

Note "metadata folder"  Unless you already have a custom location I would back it up as most of it is reusable and Emby won't have to redownload (ie People)

BloodyIron

Nice! Yeah, it's in the queue ;D Right now I'm working on an invoicing VM, so I'll get to it in a bit :3

I migrated very early on in the .Net testing stages, I feel like things are a lot more seemless now. Definitely worth the small hassle to do though.

BloodyIron

Ack I'm stuck!

I purged emby-server "apt purge emby-server", which removes connfigs. Naturally AFTER I have multiple backups made.

I even disabled the old repo. Then I did dpkg -i (latest version of emby).deb.

Except the service doesn't start... and I am unsure what the cause is.

I suspect I am missing dependencies, as it didn't want to install anything extra. When I purged the earlier install, it removed mono too.

So now I have a broken Emby that won't start at all :(

Any ideas?

Happy2Play

Ack I'm stuck!

I purged emby-server "apt purge emby-server", which removes connfigs. Naturally AFTER I have multiple backups made.

I suspect I am missing dependencies, as it didn't want to install anything extra. When I purged the earlier install, it removed mono too.

Any ideas?

I would do a search for "Ubuntu" in this topic.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/50012-emby-server-for-net-core/

Jdiesel

Ack I'm stuck!

Any ideas?

All dependacies should be included in the Deb

What is the output of

sudo journalctl -u emby-server.service

BloodyIron

I found this : https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/50012-emby-server-for-net-core/?p=504359

Why are there parts of that not in the Linux installation instructions? The instructions are incomplete on the site right now :(

Getting the dotnet repo going and installing the dotnet package outlined in that script is what did it for me. But that wasn't part of the instructions at all on the site :/

I would do a search for "Ubuntu" in this topic.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/50012-emby-server-for-net-core/

Edited by BloodyIron

BloodyIron

Also, awww, the backup didn't keep avatars for users, or which plugins I had installed before, and their configs. Not a big deal, small inconvenience, maybe worth adding at some point?

BloodyIron

Uhhh I'm sorry but I just tried them several times, and they are incomplete. They only talk about getting the deb file and installing it, but that doesn't include anything dotnet from a package regard.

In the script that I linked to, just now, it shows how to add the repos, and what to insatall. After doing that, it's now working.

So, not sure what you're on about.

@@BloodyIron, the instructions on the website are complete. you do not need to do anything besides what the website tells you to do.

BloodyIron

So why did the server not start till I did?

You do not need to install any microsoft dotnet repositories in order to use our new packages.

If you can supply the full terminal output then we can take a look at it and give you an answer. thanks.

BloodyIron

The server is already built and appears to be working, I'd really rather not have to redo that work :S

If you can supply the full terminal output then we can take a look at it and give you an answer. thanks.

These new packages are a few months old and getting to the point of being bullet proof, but occasionally on some systems we run into something we haven't seen before and that could be what's happening here.

BloodyIron

Okay I don't get it. I just spun up a new VM with 16.04.3 server, and the only thing I installed after the initial install, was the emby-server from this page ( https://emby.media/linux-server.html ). And it worked, and so far as I can tell dotnet is not installed (I think?).

I don't get why my existing install (which is the same version, in fact, newer), had to have dotnet installed? I don't do any special modifications to these systems... I prefer to stay quite standard.

Also, the Linux Instructions page is titled Mac ;P

These new packages are a few months old and getting to the point of being bullet proof, but occasionally on some systems we run into something we haven't seen before and that could be what's happening here.

Edited by BloodyIron

BloodyIron

Oh, and my upgraded one... while it was scanning, ate dirt.

I dropped it down to 2GB RAM and 2GB Swap, and it 100% OOM'd, incl Swap. It did that in about 2 hours while it was rebuilding the library scan tindex.

Also, awww, the backup didn't keep avatars for users, or which plugins I had installed before, and their configs. Not a big deal, small inconvenience, maybe worth adding at some point?

Plugins and their configurations are backed up.  However, most plug-ins for the old framework won't load on the new one so there was no way for the system to know you even had them.

Once you re-installed compatible versions, though, the configurations should have still been there.

• 2 weeks later...

After installing the new version, sitting at a little over 1.1GB after 24 hours.  So whatever the cause is, it still seems to be affecting me.  I've turned my scheduled task back on.

d00zah

And if you'd followed the drama, you would have thought a giant, celestial demon had swallowed that shining orb in the sky  It was breathtaking.... albeit amusing.

CBers

And if you'd followed the drama, you would have thought a giant, celestial demon had swallowed that shining orb in the sky It was breathtaking.... albeit amusing.

It was a fracking nightmare.

Both of my servers crashed as MBAM just swallowed up all available ram - one has 24Gb and the other 40Gb ram.

I had to disable and then uninstall it from both servers. Reinstalled this morning and all good again :)

d00zah

It was a fracking nightmare.

Both of my servers crashed as MBAM just swallowed up all available ram - one has 24Gb and the other 40Gb ram.

I had to disable and then uninstall it from both servers. Reinstalled this morning and all good again :)

Not to continue the hijack, but I was watching a movie & recording a program when my browser reported no memory & had to close. Checked task mgr/process monitor, saw it was MBAM, disabled the service & tried to shut it down.... which didn't happen until 1.5 hours later, when my recording was done, & I rebooted the machine. After reading the forum, I imagined all the users madly flailing on their PCs, only serving to make things worse. Mass panic is an interesting study. Not mocking them, just marveling at the general  unknown-induced hysteria.

Edited by d00zah
  • Like 1