Emby server memory usage

parrish

Hi

i seem to be having this Memory Problem Emby server will run for a few days two or three and will use about 300.00K  

and then for no reason that i can see it will just start to eat the ram all of it,

now i have 32gig in the machine and emby will use 31gig of that and then the machine will stop responding

now up until two or three weeks ago i never had this problem emby could run for weeks with no problem or until the temp transcode drive was full

then i would have to restart emby to clear the temp folder

running on Win 7 64bit with minimal software just Antivirus , backup software , recode software, Ftp software,   and remote desktop software

as i have looked and found that other people have had memory usage problems in the past does anyone know what could be causing this  

thanks

Please see how to report a problem. thanks !

hi back again

ok the last set of server logs don't seem to cover the time the problem started

however looking though some other posts i found the same problem someone else is having

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/61900-server-crashes-after-running-out-of-memory

i have the same error over and over  in my server log

2018-09-24 16:25:13.609 Error HttpServer: WebSocketException Success
    *** Error Report ***
    Version: 3.5.3.0
    Command line: C:\Users\admin-dea\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system\EmbyServer.dll
    Operating system: Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1
    64-Bit OS: True
    64-Bit Process: True
    User Interactive: True
    Processor count: 32
    Program data path: C:\Users\admin-dea\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata
    Application directory: C:\Users\admin-dea\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system
    System.Net.WebSockets.WebSocketException (997): net_WebSockets_InvalidState
       at SocketHttpListener.Net.WebSockets.WebSocketValidate.ThrowIfInvalidState(WebSocketState currentState, Boolean isDisposed, WebSocketState[] validStates)
       at SocketHttpListener.Net.WebSockets.ManagedWebSocket.ReceiveAsync(ArraySegment`1 buffer, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
    --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
       at SocketHttpListener.Net.WebSockets.WebSocket.ReceiveAsync(Memory`1 buffer, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
       at EmbyServer.SocketSharp.SharpWebSocket.StartReceive()
    System.Net.WebSockets.WebSocketException
       at SocketHttpListener.Net.WebSockets.WebSocketValidate.ThrowIfInvalidState(WebSocketState currentState, Boolean isDisposed, WebSocketState[] validStates)
       at SocketHttpListener.Net.WebSockets.ManagedWebSocket.ReceiveAsync(ArraySegment`1 buffer, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
       at SocketHttpListener.Net.WebSockets.WebSocket.ReceiveAsync(Memory`1 buffer, CancellationToken cancellationToken)

embyserver1.txt

embyserver2.txt

• Like 1

Ok as this is becoming more rare now, it will be easier to work with you on the beta release. If you like, you can setup a portable install of the beta in order to avoid disrupting your stable install. What we want to do is eliminate all of the socket errors and that should resolve everything. Thanks.

Hi

i was looking through the log files at the time the error started to appear i was trying to accesses the server using emby for android on my mobile phone 

but because i had a very bad signal i kept losing connection could this have something to do with it

as for setting up a portable beta install how do you do that ?

the stable setup is only accessed remotely and by about 40 people not all at the same time but sometimes 15 or so at the same time   

so how do i do this ?

thanks

Dallier

• 3 weeks later...
KingKoopa08

I have this also. Which is happening right now during transcoding. I have verbose logging turned on, I have attached embyserver log and I attached a transcode log for it along with screenshot of what emby was doing via HTOP linux command sorted by memory usage. If you notice there are a couple tasks that are high in time along with short times but taking 56% of memory each. 

The embyservertopfewresults.txt is the top few results in the log file. The full log file is 10gb in size please let me know if you need that I will get it to you another way.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

post-217015-0-19535700-1539667080_thumb.png

OneTranscodeLog.txt

embyservertopfewresults.txt

Those socket errors are resolved for the next release and will probably resolve your memory problem. thanks.

KingKoopa08

Thanks @@Luke Do you have an eta on that release?

Those socket errors are resolved for the next release and will probably resolve your memory problem. thanks.

acidspike

Surely.

I have attached a subset of the log file, the WebSocketException thrown thousand times, from log timecode the exception is thrown every milliseconds.

emby.log

Edited by acidspike

• 1 month later...
Gaspar Filmes

Maybe it's just me, but after watching for the last 24 hours and trying different things, it seems that my memory usage only rises and keeps rising after opening the Emby dashboard. If I don't open the dashboard it does not climb at all unless a user connects, but then drops after a few minutes back to normal. Only seems to rise after opening the dashboard and keeps climbing even after closing the dashboard.

Attached is a small log of doing this. Not sure if this helps, but figured it was worth mentioning.

i'm experiencing that problem, when my clients are watching and i'll go check the monitor (dashboard) sunddenly the ram consumption turn up and got the entire RAM until freeze the system and have to restart, always that.

Checking my logs, are repetedly this:

2018-12-09 03:15:16.536 Error HttpServer: WebSocketException Success
*** Error Report ***
Version: 3.5.3.0
Command line: C:\emby\system\EmbyServer.dll
Operating system: Microsoft Windows NT 6.2.9200.0
64-Bit OS: True
64-Bit Process: True
User Interactive: True
Processor count: 6
Program data path: C:\emby\programdata
Application directory: C:\emby\system
System.Net.WebSockets.WebSocketException (997): net_WebSockets_InvalidState
System.Net.WebSockets.WebSocketException

and again and again, until freeze the system and catch all RAM. I'm with this problem almost 3~4 months, this ridiculous, i'm having to use a programa to automate, called Kiwi Application Monitor to restart the Embyserver.exe automatically when it reachs 2gb of ram. Its happen when I acess dashboard for monitoring my clients. I have only the Backup plugin installed and turned off DLNA as a feedback for try out a solution from Luke a few months ago, but, no lucky.

It's resolved for the upcoming 3.6 release. If you need immediate relief you can always jump on the beta channel. Thanks.

• Like 1

Gaspar Filmes

It's resolved for the upcoming 3.6 release. If you need immediate relief you can always jump on the beta channel. Thanks.

Thank you a lot  :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Gaspar Filmes

Hey! G evening for everyone!, unfortunately here we go again:

5c68b8bdba847_embyv402memoryhigh.png

I'm on V4.0.2, and now, its now occurring in random time, not even going through the dashboard memory consumption rises. I'm having to use the Kiwi Monitor program again to 'divert' the machine to a full stop. log attached.

embyserver-63685956530.zip

Gaspar Filmes

Any help please?

Hey! G evening for everyone!, unfortunately here we go again:

5c68b8bdba847_embyv402memoryhigh.png

I'm on V4.0.2, and now, its now occurring in random time, not even going through the dashboard memory consumption rises. I'm having to use the Kiwi Monitor program again to 'divert' the machine to a full stop. log attached.

Gaspar Filmes

Can you provide more information about your server setup? Thanks.

VPS Windows server 2012 R2/ Intel XEON E5-1620, 3.60GHz, 6gb ram, 6/6 sockets/cores, only using .strm and local music (.mp3) 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
oldschool

I've just recently started to see 95%-98% usage on my server. I removed all plugins except server config backup and trailers, and I'm still having the problems. I thought maybe it was a drivepool problem, but when I start my server, Emby used to start as a service until recently. I can now see that when I manually start Emby, the memory usage will go from 9% and immediately rocket to 96% within a minute after starting, and I can't recover that memory if I close the emby services on the PC. I have to reboot to reclaim that memory. I'm on Windows Server 2K8 R2 with 32GB of memory.

I thought I might have figured out what my problem was. Under Settings > Transcoding, I had Hardware Acceleration set to "yes", but I'm running server hardware (Emby is actually inside a VM) without any kind of graphics card on my server. When I chose "No", the physical memory on the server went from 9% to 10% and stayed there after reboot for about a minute or two, and then it rocketed back up to 94%.

embyserver.txt