Emby server memory usage

parrish

BloodyIron

It might be, but I updated through the repo. So far as I was told when I asked earlier (a month+ ago?), this wouldn't install .NET Core.

Honestly though, I haven't ACTUALLY checked, because... I'm not sure what I would be looking for.

3.2.60.0 is .net core isn't it?

Happy2Play

3.2.60.0 is .net core isn't it?

Yes

Guess it is time to start over on what may cause this memory leak as I can't get my memory usage over 300MB.

Emby usage - What plugins? LiveTV? What OS?

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Like 1

BloodyIron

But Luke had told me the repo wouldn't serve .NET Core, that I need to follow... special steps (don't remember what they were on hand).

Was this... not the case? My OS is Ubuntu for the Emby install btw.

As for my plugins...

-Anime v1.2.1.0

-Auto Box Sets v1.1.1.0

-Trailers v1.1.2.0

I don't have any Live TV stuff going on, this is just media playback, chromecast (PLEASE GIVE ME VOLUME BUTTON SUPPORT ON MOBILE), stuff like that.

Yes

Guess it is time to start over on what may cause this memory leak as I can't get my memory usage over 300MB.

Emby usage - What plugins? LiveTV? What OS?

Happy2Play

But Luke had told me the repo wouldn't serve .NET Core, that I need to follow... special steps (don't remember what they were on hand).

Was this... not the case? My OS is Ubuntu for the Emby install btw.

As for my plugins...

-Anime v1.2.1.0

-Auto Box Sets v1.1.1.0

-Trailers v1.1.2.0

I don't have any Live TV stuff going on, this is just media playback, chromecast (PLEASE GIVE ME VOLUME BUTTON SUPPORT ON MOBILE), stuff like that.

If you are still running Mono, then that could the case. 

BloodyIron

I haven't done any form of environment migration since I set it up. So it's probable that I am still running mono.

What should I do?

Also, about volume controls for mobile devices (Android), while chromecasting. I've made a few feature requests for that over the last year+ and I don't even know if it's on the roadmap. :( I know it's off-topic, but is there any way we can get it set to a milestone?

To say it another way. When I have my phone, using Emby, connected to my Chromecast Video (or audio), the volume buttons on my phone do _NOT_ control the audio levels for the Chromecast session.

If you are still running Mono, then that could the case. 

BloodyIron

As of right now my Emby server is using 4.16GB and has 1333MB in Swap. So the growth still seems to be there.

I'm actually going to downsize this VM to 2GB usable of RAM, as I need to free it up, and see how it behaves. This may explode in my face, we'll see.

BloodyIron

Okay so after reboot the VM reports (from inside the VM, with htop), that about 279MB of RAM is used. Naturally this includes Emby and the mysqld.

I monitored this while I tried playing a TV show and a Movie (HD 720P). And so far it has maybe gone up 20MB.

So this suggests the issue is a memory leak indeed, as the general playback functionality doesn't seem to _need_ the big amounts of RAM I've observed Emby taking up. (big, relatively)

I'm going to see is some of the scheduled tasks increase the RAM usage...

BloodyIron

Running the tasks for Chapter Image Extraction, Download Missing Subtitles, Refresh People, and Scan Media Library, all at the same time. Increases the used RAM to about 390MB.

Seems to furthermore suggest the issue is memory leaking.

Oh, and by the way, the measurements I've been giving here are the RAM used by the services, it DOES NOT include Linux caching in RAM.

Also, based on the listed processes, it sure looks like I'm still running mono here... not sure on how to convert properly.

PenkethBoy

depending on your linux distro you should be able to migrate to .netcore

i would look through the linux sub forum for instructions and/or post to ask for them etc

it appears that the .netcore does not have the memory leak on windows as well as linux from what i have read - e.g. my qnap sits at approx 500meg most of the time (after a scan(s) and its been on for a few days) and does not get any higher than that using .netcore

BloodyIron

Ubuntu 16.04, so it better well be able to migrate! Or I'm going to punch it in the bits.

I would prefer, though, to follow a dev-sanctioned guide, as opposed to something cobbled together.

What distros/versions have you been using .netcore with?

depending on your linux distro you should be able to migrate to .netcore

i would look through the linux sub forum for instructions and/or post to ask for them etc

it appears that the .netcore does not have the memory leak on windows as well as linux from what i have read - e.g. my qnap sits at approx 500meg most of the time (after a scan(s) and its been on for a few days) and does not get any higher than that using .netcore

Edited by BloodyIron

Running the tasks for Chapter Image Extraction, Download Missing Subtitles, Refresh People, and Scan Media Library, all at the same time. Increases the used RAM to about 390MB.

Seems to furthermore suggest the issue is memory leaking.

That information does not suggest a "leak".  It just shows memory usage - which is to be expected with all those things going on.

~500MB of use would seem about normal for most people but this will vary based on a lot of factors.

BloodyIron

The usage I tested though is the typical usage. Watch a movie in browser, or via chromecast. Since the usage today peaked at 390MB,  that to me indicates a leak when before the testing it was over 4GB of RAM used...

I have one or two people using this Emby setup at any one time, not 500 (hyperbole of course).

So, I don't see how you don't think there's a leak, because based on the growth patterns I'm seeing, it sure seems to me like a leak.

That information does not suggest a "leak".  It just shows memory usage - which is to be expected with all those things going on.

~500MB of use would seem about normal for most people but this will vary based on a lot of factors.

The specific information you provided (memory increasing during memory intensive operations) does not indicate a leak.

Now, if you said you ran those tasks and the first time it went to 390 and then ran those tasks again and it went to 600 something, then that would indicate a leak.

That's the kind of thing we need to figure out - exactly what operations are causing memory to increase continuously.

BloodyIron

So what's next?

Also, should I stay on mono for now? If not, what should I do?

The specific information you provided (memory increasing during memory intensive operations) does not indicate a leak.

Now, if you said you ran those tasks and the first time it went to 390 and then ran those tasks again and it went to 600 something, then that would indicate a leak.

That's the kind of thing we need to figure out - exactly what operations are causing memory to increase continuously.

The mono packages are maintenance only at this point, but we are continuing to push new Emby Server versions for them in order to avoid user disruption.

At this point, any memory related issues are becoming increasingly rare, however, if you're still having an issue then we would suggest you try the new installation process on our website. Just be aware it would be a brand new installation. Thanks.

So what's next?

Also, should I stay on mono for now? If not, what should I do?

Wait a minute.  Sorry, if you are still on mono then all of this is moot.

BloodyIron

So, is there any way I can convert my existing installation at all?

Or rather, when you say new installation, what does that mean in this context?

The mono packages are maintenance only at this point, but we are continuing to push new Emby Server versions for them in order to avoid user disruption.

At this point, any memory related issues are becoming increasingly rare, however, if you're still having an issue then we would suggest you try the new installation process on our website. Just be aware it would be a brand new installation. Thanks.

Edited by BloodyIron

BloodyIron

Yeah, I had said multiple times in this thread I'm on mono :P But how is it moot?

Wait a minute.  Sorry, if you are still on mono then all of this is moot.

Yeah, I had said multiple times in this thread I'm on mono :P But how is it moot?

Sorry, there are a lot of people in this thread and I hadn't gone back to re-read.  We have stated a number of times that the .net core version appears to solve 99% of these memory issues (pointing to the problem actually being in the framework) and, since we are moving everything to .net core, we aren't spending time trying to troubleshoot this in mono anymore.

• Like 1

Happy2Play

Your best bet is use the Server Configuration Backup Plugin and just do a clean install.

• Like 1

BloodyIron

Dude no worries! Glad to know you're still human ;P I try to spell things out as best I can to help you folks as much as I can, since you're helping me too.

This is why I've been periodically asking throughout the thread about how to switch, because it sounds like it is worth it ;D

Sorry, there are a lot of people in this thread and I hadn't gone back to re-read.  We have stated a number of times that the .net core version appears to solve 99% of these memory issues (pointing to the problem actually being in the framework) and, since we are moving everything to .net core, we aren't spending time trying to troubleshoot this in mono anymore.

BloodyIron

Hmm, I'll have to try that out.

If I do the config backup stuff, what "info" will be lost? Is there any way for me to keep my viewing history or something?

Your best bet is use the Server Configuration Backup Plugin and just do a clean install.

Jdiesel

If I do the config backup stuff, what "info" will be lost? Is there any way for me to keep my viewing history or something?

Backup plugin will maintain your watched history and users. I ended up rescanning my entire library and redownloading the metadata after migrating to the .Net Core version but I feel like there is a way to avoid that...

Edited by Jdiesel
  • Like 1

BloodyIron

I don't mind rescanning the libraries and re-snagging the meta stuff. That seems just fine for me.

Good to know about the other stuff though! Thanks! :DDD

Backup plugin will maintain your watched history and users. I ended up rescanning my entire library and redownloading the metadata after migrating to the .Net Core version but I feel like there is a way to avoid that...

Happy2Play

No info should be lost.  The plugin will backup all your users and user data, but worst case I would backup your library.db as that is where the info is stored.  Not sure of file location on non-Windows systems.

Note "metadata folder"  Unless you already have a custom location I would back it up as most of it is reusable and Emby won't have to redownload (ie People)

• Like 1