Emby server memory usage

parrish

Chillout

I'm back on the beta branch.. as long as there are updates every few days then I guess the problem fixes itself with restarts.

mastrmind11

I work in a massive corporation where server nodes are restarted on a weekly/monthly schedule.  I personally restart my box every Friday morning at 2am.  I can't understand why this topic has blossomed to what it has when, in reality, all one has to do is reboot once a week.  Granted, I get that memory leaks shouldn't be part of enterprise software, but honestly, reboots aren't uncommon anywhere....  and if you think Netflix or Amazon don't have reboot schedules, you're smoking drugs.

TL;DR, mono sucks, set up a reboot schedule. 

Edited by mastrmind11

BloodyIron

Because rebooting is not a solution, just a bandaid. I also work in IT (Sr Sys Admin) and rebooting in such a manner is really a bad practice, and honestly, kinda embarrassing that you actually recommended that.

I work in a massive corporation where server nodes are restarted on a weekly/monthly schedule.  I personally restart my box every Friday morning at 2am.  I can't understand why this topic has blossomed to what it has when, in reality, all one has to do is reboot once a week.  Granted, I get that memory leaks shouldn't be part of enterprise software, but honestly, reboots aren't uncommon anywhere....  and if you think Netflix or Amazon don't have reboot schedules, you're smoking drugs.

TL;DR, mono sucks, set up a reboot schedule. 

Happy2Play

Because rebooting is not a solution, just a bandaid. I also work in IT (Sr Sys Admin) and rebooting in such a manner is really a bad practice, and honestly, kinda embarrassing that you actually recommended that.

Well there has been nothing conclusive on what is causing this for the ones that have this issue.  So until something is found to cause the issue it is impossible to fix.

mastrmind11

A bandaid, and a solution, clearly. Try the core version, or deal with a weekly reboot.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

BloodyIron

I've seen examples that it doesn't fix it though, so...

Also, I'm not here to start arguments or hostilities, so let's just roll it back a bit here. I'm here to help with having this objectively addressed, as best I can.

A bandaid, and a solution, clearly. Try the core version, or deal with a weekly reboot.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I've seen examples that it doesn't fix it though, so...

I think I've seen one report of this but the overwhelming evidence is that the .net core version does eliminate the problem for the majority of folks (that see this in the first place).

This fact is evidence that the issue (which could actually be a multitude of issues depending on a multitude of factors) may actually lie in components that are out of our control which makes it even harder for us to address - other than eliminating those components which is what the .net core version appears to do.

So, at this point in time, our efforts are focused on getting the system moved over to the new platform and, after that has occurred, if we can get empirical evidence of this problem still occurring then address it there.  Therefore, it would be great if anyone having this issue could move to the new .net core platform and provide their experience with it.

Thanks.

BloodyIron

I haven't looked into the method used to convert to the core version. Is there a method you want me to follow in this conversion? My setup is running in an Ubuntu VM and I've been getting my updates through my package manager.

I'm perfectly willing to make this conversion in the name of stamping this issue out (in addition to other good reasons). But at the same time I want to make sure the steps I take are known to you, and in-line with what you folks are testing/recording against.

I think I've seen one report of this but the overwhelming evidence is that the .net core version does eliminate the problem for the majority of folks (that see this in the first place).

This fact is evidence that the issue (which could actually be a multitude of issues depending on a multitude of factors) may actually lie in components that are out of our control which makes it even harder for us to address - other than eliminating those components which is what the .net core version appears to do.

So, at this point in time, our efforts are focused on getting the system moved over to the new platform and, after that has occurred, if we can get empirical evidence of this problem still occurring then address it there.  Therefore, it would be great if anyone having this issue could move to the new .net core platform and provide their experience with it.

Thanks.

Edited by BloodyIron

BloodyIron

Again, sorry to those who may perceive me as being a jerk. I am just trying to be rigidly objective here, and I am not trying to pick fights. I may be a bit of a BOFH, but I do my best to keep my heart in the right place. :)

RedBaron164

Is the plan to eventually roll out a normal update that will transition everyone to the .Net Core version?

As it stands, if installing the .Net Core version requires doing a full reinstall of Emby I may transition my install to a Ubuntu VM and off of Windows.

maegibbons

You can install the windows .net core version over the top of your existing version and everything should just work without any drama.

Apart from a few plugins that have not been converted yet.

Krs

Mark

• Like 1

CBers

You can install the windows .net core version over the top of your existing version and everything should just work without any drama.

Apart from a few plugins that have not been converted yet.

Yes, I installed the .net core beta over the top of the .net framework beta running on my server.

All working fine, apart from a problem with grouped (TV) libraries showing as "tvshows" instead of "TV".

• Like 1

RedBaron164

Ok, I'll look into doing the .Net Core install later this week when I can break the server for a couple of hours without repercussions. 

Kipperdawn

I am happy to say, after having switched over to the .net core installation, i am no longer seeing a memory issue. As per my previous post, the memory would slowly climb up into GBs. With the .net core version (3.2.33) running for 14 days, i am still under 100 MB of usage for emby.  My config is windows server 2012r2 with latest patches. Hopefully it stays this way over a longer time period and others will experience similar results.

Note, i am using the portable version of the .net core install. 

• 2 weeks later...
Untoten

So, weirdly enough, my memory issue is solved.  I bought 16GB of all new ram, only took up 4 of 8 DIMMS.  I tried all different combinations of slots, no resolve.  I noticed I often had 100% disk usage from emby at only 2-6mb/s, which is abysmal.  I started to get pissed and I played around with write through/write back? on the raid 0 config and it did nothing.  I finally decided to grab a 116gb ssd and pop it in.  I used a partition cloning tool to migrate the system to the new disk because I did not want to wait a week for the entire library to be scanned and identified properly again.  Low and behold, the new SSD killed the memory problem.  

@@Luke, what I am assuming my issue was is the disk was too slow so for some reason .net/ms/windows or something stores the majority of the running files on RAM because the disk was so slow.  

Strange thing is, my issue had never happened on this server I have used emby on for years, it only appeared when I first reported it along with the others, so something in the code had changed to cause this.  I have had emby running now for a week with a steady 2GB being used and never increasing.

TL;DR, problem now solved, appeared to be disk speed, replaced with RAID0 SCSI with 1 SSD.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
BloodyIron

I'm on 3.2.34.0, on Ubuntu.

I am seeing the memory leak again. The VM has 5GB of RAM, but it's filled that and using 1.14GB of swap. This is after about a month since last restart (based on RAM usage patterns).

Looks not solved for me :/ I noticed that my video was getting lots of audio artifacting, so I jumped on the VM, and saw it like that.

I need to update and restart, so this current state is gonna get wiped again. (looks like the update available is 3.2.40.0)

Edited by BloodyIron

• 2 weeks later...
jhoff80

Yeah, just as another point for confirmation, I switched over to the .Net Core version on the 26th.  My uptime is currently 6 days and EmbyServer.exe is using ~191MB RAM.  Server 2016 here.

Edited by jhoff80

I've had a skim read of the thread as I really don't have time to read and investigate further. I've also had this issue, some months back then again yesterday things started going wrong and Emby was using around 4GB Ram, rebooted to fix it. Less than 24 hours later it was back up to 4GB and causing problems.

When I get chance I'll have a proper read as it looks like there might be a fix, I'm currently on a decorating deadline with lots to do, so time is very short.

Happy2Play

I've had a skim read of the thread as I really don't have time to read and investigate further. I've also had this issue, some months back then again yesterday things started going wrong and Emby was using around 4GB Ram, rebooted to fix it. Less than 24 hours later it was back up to 4GB and causing problems.

When I get chance I'll have a proper read as it looks like there might be a fix, I'm currently on a decorating deadline with lots to do, so time is very short.

You would have to post a server log to ensure you are on the updated server.

I'm almost certain I won't be on the core version (I'll change to that as soon as I get chance), I installed the latest version when I last had the issue, whenever that was. If I don't end up working too late tonight I'll post a server log. Actually looking at my downloads I last downloaded the server setup on 22 August 2017, it has a file version of 14.0.23107.0

This is a build that targets .NET core, the newer and smaller runtime from Microsoft. What's the big deal? It's smaller and faster, with major performance improvements over both the classic .NET Framework as well as the Mono runtime.

Windows, Linux x64, MacOS

This has gone stable. Please follow the installation instructions on the website.

Is it just a case of downloading and installing the beta version - I'm on WHS2011? There's no link to the instructions, so not sure if they are specific to the beta version.