Emby server memory usage

parrish

I've just recently started to see 95%-98% usage on my server. I removed all plugins except server config backup and trailers, and I'm still having the problems. I thought maybe it was a drivepool problem, but when I start my server, Emby used to start as a service until recently. I can now see that when I manually start Emby, the memory usage will go from 9% and immediately rocket to 96% within a minute after starting, and I can't recover that memory if I close the emby services on the PC. I have to reboot to reclaim that memory. I'm on Windows Server 2K8 R2 with 32GB of memory.

I thought I might have figured out what my problem was. Under Settings > Transcoding, I had Hardware Acceleration set to "yes", but I'm running server hardware (Emby is actually inside a VM) without any kind of graphics card on my server. When I chose "No", the physical memory on the server went from 9% to 10% and stayed there after reboot for about a minute or two, and then it rocketed back up to 94%.

I would think you'll probably see better numbers on newer versions of windows.

Happy2Play

My Emby memory usage on WHS2011 and Windows 10 is between 300-600Mb.  But I guess overall usage/features would make a difference.

PenkethBoy

I have 2012r2 server (native install)  with two instances of Emby running as same time - one stable one beta - been like this for 2-3 years now

Memory usage when the server is idle - <200MB each

When running a library scan - usage can go up as high as 700-800MB but returns to circa 200 MB once its finished 

I would post a log so we can see if something odd is going on

oldschool

Newest logs after upgrade. Upgrading to Server 2k12R2 was a pain because my shares were wiped out, pictures are now missing from Emby, and a bunch of other problems with the upgrade, but the one thing that hasn't changed is the 97% memory usage by Emby.

Edit: added second server log with errors in them - this may explain the high memory usage?

embyserver.txt

embyserver.txt

Edited by oldschool

oldschool

Any ideas on how to resolve my issue? Do the logs look normal? I just updated to 4.3.0.25 and I'm still seeing task manager reporting 96% memory utilization, with 2-4% CPU.

oldschool

Well, after a TON of digging, I figured out the answer to my problem. Had to do with Hyper-V and dynamic memory. I'm back in with Emby running at 6% memory usage. Sorry for sounding the alarm and all the finger pointing. :)

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/d4f97391-a70c-47b1-ab05-bab4754868ac/hyperv-dynamic-memory-driver-locked