Emby server memory usage

parrish

BloodyIron

Remember when I said:

"

Has it been fixed already? Perhaps, but that's why I'm continuing to monitor the situation so I can provide useful feedback from my metrics and observations.

"

Just a few posts ago?

No I just can not replicate the issue on any machine.

Happy2Play

Remember when I said:

"

Has it been fixed already? Perhaps, but that's why I'm continuing to monitor the situation so I can provide useful feedback from my metrics and observations.

"

Just a few posts ago?

It is fixed now, but it was never broke in previous builds for me.  No one could provide me steps to replicate this issue on my systems. ;) 

I think you two should just agree to disagree and have a nice day.

:D 

revengineer

In the bug report I filed, I was talking about my metrics showing a growth of 100-200MB perr day, over the span of multiple weeks, as a consistent pattern. This was also conclusive as it spilled over into SWAP and continued to grow there too. I am not talking about initial memory usage whatsoever, and I honestly have no idea why you think that's what I'm talking about, because I have given zero indication of such.

Yes, I know that servers take RAM to work. I'm not talking about that at all, I'm talking about a leak I observed that was conclusively provable over a longer-ish period of time.

Anyways, I don't know why we're still "arguging" this, because I'm clearly not the only person who has observed leaking over the last while either.

So, at this point, what else would you like me to say that might be helpful?

I am seeing the same order of memory growth and this has not been fixed as of v3.2.32. Before upgrading to v3.2.33 this morning, emby memory use was 1.7 GB, up from 400 kB one week ago following the last upgrade. Time will tell.

CBers

So people with this issue are all running the STABLE Emby server which isn't restarted until the next STABLE version is released?

Perhaps people on the BETA Emby server don't see the issue, as releases are more often, so more restarts.

Is that about right?

I have a STABLE Emby server installed on a separate PC to my main BETA server and I haven't see any issue on either.

I'll keep a closer eye on my STABLE server and see what happens with the latest (.33) release.

For reference, my STABLE Emby server is currently using 150MB of memory, after running for 24 hours.

revengineer

So people with this issue are all running the STABLE Emby server which isn't restarted until the next STABLE version is released?

Perhaps people on the BETA Emby server don't see the issue, as releases are more often, so more restarts.

Is that about right?

I have a STABLE Emby server installed on a separate PC to my main BETA server and I haven't see any issue on either.

I'll keep a closer eye on my STABLE server and see what happens with the latest (.33) release.

For reference, my STABLE Emby server is currently using 150MB of memory, after running for 24 hours.

I agree that the rapid update cycle may prevent small memory leaks as I am experiencing (100-200 MB/day on average) from being detected. The amount of leaking seems to depend on usage; on days with higher use, the leaks are higher. If the STABLE server is not your main server and is not really used, leaking may be diminished to the point where you may not be able to detect it. Still, keep an eye on it and let us know.

Your memory use is much lower than mine. Immediately after start I see 400+ MB. This maybe a difference in the number and size of the libraries served by emby. In any case, I do not think that the absolute usage matters, it's the rate of change that does.  

revengineer

Is that the 2012 version of Windows Home Server (WHS)?

You can think of it that way. It's Windows Server 2012 with the features of WHS (dashboard, computer backup, etc.) I do not think the OS matters for the leaks, the reports here cite many different OS (including at least one using Linux).

RedBaron164

Just chiming in with an update, I updated to Version 3.2.33.0 yesterday and after 24 hours I'm up to 800mb of ram.

CBers

Just chiming in with an update, I updated to Version 3.2.33.0 yesterday and after 24 hours I'm up to 800mb of ram.

And what have you been doing with Emby during that period ??

RedBaron164

A couple of shows recorded last night and I watched some downloaded shows saved on the server, a typical evening.

BloodyIron

I just want to add that my Emby VM has been fed ~5GB of RAM for the last... half year? I anticipate to need a good amount of RAM when it's doing stuff, but then free it up when it's not. I also know there will always need to be RAM in use no matter what. But, as @@revengineer seems to be also seeing, the issue is when the RAM usage follows a growth pattern and exceeds "reasonable usage".

My setup is for 1-2 users simultaneously, and typically 720p content, occasionally 1080p content. I am unsure what the ideal amount of RAM would be for my VM, but it would be nice if I could drop it to 2GB, however I am unsure if that's realistically reasonable or not, hence continued monitoring of the situation.

It's also worth noting, I know the "growth" has happened in the past because the pattern follows very explicitly when it runs out of RAM, and then goes into SWAP. My monitoring charts (pre 31) showed the 100-200MB steps each day.

However, it just takes time to reproduce, if it's still there.

CBers

Just played 8x 1080p videos back-to-back on my Shield via the ATV app (Direct Stream) and memory usage is still around 164MB.

Each video was about 22 minutes each, so just under 3 hours of playback.

Anecdotal, but thought I'd share.

• Like 2

maegibbons

Just a data point.

i've moved to .net core and my memory is currently at 270mb.  Does not move much.  I record 10-15 shows a day from HDHR and IPTV and rarely watch purely live TV.

The beta cycle does mean that emby is restarted at least every other day usually.

Krs

Mark

Jdiesel

I have been testing the .NET Core versions on Emby. A few days ago after not restarting my server for a few days I noticed my memory usage for Emby was at 13.2GB. I unfortunately wasn't able to grab a log file at that time. I have a clean install now and will be keeping an eye on things. I will see if I can resit the urge to not upgrade my beta build for a few days to see if I can reproduce the gradual memory increase.

• Like 1

BloodyIron

What version and OS are you on? Is this the .NET Core release, or?

Certainly interesting info! How much RAM is allocated to your Emby setup? (VM?)

Just played 8x 1080p videos back-to-back on my Shield via the ATV app (Direct Stream) and memory usage is still around 164MB.

Each video was about 22 minutes each, so just under 3 hours of playback.

Anecdotal, but thought I'd share.

CBers

What version and OS are you on? Is this the .NET Core release, or?

Certainly interesting info! How much RAM is allocated to your Emby setup? (VM?)

Windows 10 Pro x64

No, it's the .net framework as this was my STABLE Emby server.

Physical PC with 24GB RAM.

• Like 1

Happy2Play

I guess another factor is how many additional clients are running and accessing Emby Server on the same machine.  As this has been mentioned in a couplle topics also.

Untoten

Windows 10 Pro x64

No, it's the .net framework as this was my STABLE Emby server.

Physical PC with 24GB RAM.

I may be wrong but I had thought emby had issues with windows 10?  

Spaceboy

I had an out of memory error last week on my second Emby server which is running off an NUC. also checked in last night and Emby was taking 88% of memory on the same machine

CBers

Still running at 164MB this morning.

I did watch Live TV last night with seeking enabled, so transcoding started, and I saw memory usage jump to around 184MB, but a few minutes after stopping playback, it was back to 164MB again.