Emby server memory usage

parrish

BloodyIron

It's the same code (AFAIK), and I've already filed a report for Linux. I don't see the OS being relevant in this particular case.

I was not aware of memory leak issues on Linux. I thought we are solely discussing the Windows version here.

Happy2Play

It's the same code (AFAIK), and I've already filed a report for Linux. I don't see the OS being relevant in this particular case.

I wouldn't think so, just the way you use Emby.  As I still don't see this issue.

Untoten
59c980fd35558_plugins.png

My plugins, for the record.  I have attempted to disable each but could not see a difference.  I also have livetv, hdhomerun and dlna enabled.  Just some more info for you guys.  I usually hit 10gb+ after 2-3 days.

Does everyone else use the default ffmpeg emby has?  I downloaded the updated version and chose that manually.  I am trying to think of everything, perhaps it's cached data from library scans or latent transcode data perhaps stagnating around?

Edited by Untoten
  • Like 1

revengineer

Not saying there isn't a problem with Linux. I just not aware of it. We polled earlier the affected OS, and as far as I remember only different flavors of Windows came up. If Linux is affected as well, that could make it more likely that the leak is in emby itself rather than in a third-party library (e.g., database software).

Happy2Play

I have a feeling it more related to Live TV and Transcoding/Converting/SYNC/Downloading, as I do not use these features and don' t see this issue at all.

Edited by Happy2Play

Untoten

I have a feeling it more related to Live TV and Transcoding/Converting/SYNC/Downloading, as I do not use these features and don' t see this issue at all.

No one uses live tv, like ever on my server.  And especially now, since most cannot see the server a majority of the time due to RAM overload.  I have also disabled sync and dl for users, so it would have to be something passively related to those features if it is those at all.

Happy2Play

No one uses live tv, like ever on my server.  And especially now, since most cannot see the server a majority of the time due to RAM overload.  I have also disabled sync and dl for users, so it would have to be something passively related to those features if it is those at all.

There still has to be a configuration that causes this as I do not see it on my Stable, Beta, or test machince, all windows systems.  Do your user transcode media?

Edited by Happy2Play

BloodyIron

Well, I reported the issue when I started observing it (recently), and Luke has already seen my report. So I think it was just I didn't know about the issue when it was asked about before. But I don't think that matters in the long run :P

Not saying there isn't a problem with Linux. I just not aware of it. We polled earlier the affected OS, and as far as I remember only different flavors of Windows came up. If Linux is affected as well, that could make it more likely that the leak is in emby itself rather than in a third-party library (e.g., database software).

Happy2Play

It really comes down to are these issues still seen on the .NET Core version.

Untoten

It really comes down to are these issues still seen on the .NET Core version.

That's a good point.  I am just sad this issue has been able to persist since July, it's kind of ruining the Emby rep.

BloodyIron

Every time I restart the server, though, the RAM is released and restarts the test. I'm still on 31 testing for RAM growth. Do you want me to give some more time on 31 and report back, or what?

Please try Emby Server 3.2.33. Thanks guys.

Sammy

I have 12Gb RAM on my HTPC and it consistently runs below 25% on the CPU. I don't see an issue of having high RAM or CPU as that is what I got it for. I started a thread about this a while back but came to realize that due to my excess capacity it really wasn't an issue. I have the Emby Server, Emby Theater and serve up 6 WMC clients on this machine without a hiccup. The WMC process ehshell uses twice as much RAM as MediaBrowserServer does and although MediaBroswerServer does use about 25% of my CPU, my RAM has a comfortable 4GB free. What's the issue?

BloodyIron

The issue wasn't about generally high usage of resources, it was about memory leaks, memory usage growing over time to the point where it spills over into SWAP and NEVER gets released until the service is restarted.

I have 12Gb RAM on my HTPC and it consistently runs below 25% on the CPU. I don't see an issue of having high RAM or CPU as that is what I got it for. I started a thread about this a while back but came to realize that due to my excess capacity it really wasn't an issue. I have the Emby Server, Emby Theater and serve up 6 WMC clients on this machine without a hiccup. The WMC process ehshell uses twice as much RAM as MediaBrowserServer does and although MediaBroswerServer does use about 25% of my CPU, my RAM has a comfortable 4GB free. What's the issue?

• Like 1

BloodyIron

The growth seems to be less on 31, but still there. I'm going to update to 33 and continue to monitor now, as mentioned earlier update should effectively restart the test.

I would use the latest version, thanks.

BloodyIron

I'll add more when I have more actually useful stuff to add :P Thanks for sticking with us on this! :D

Thanks for the feedback.

Sammy

The issue wasn't about generally high usage of resources, it was about memory leaks, memory usage growing over time to the point where it spills over into SWAP and NEVER gets released until the service is restarted.

I know about that but am usually restarting the server for whatever reason often enough that no ill effect has resulted even if it goes a week or more.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

BloodyIron

While that solution works for you, I don't think underlying memory leaks are okay. Clearly Luke and the others are interested in fixing such things, so I am doing what I can to help! :)

I know about that but am usually restarting the server for whatever reason often enough that no ill effect has resulted even if it goes a week or more.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Happy2Play

While that solution works for you, I don't think underlying memory leaks are okay. Clearly Luke and the others are interested in fixing such things, so I am doing what I can to help! :)

But this only affects a select set of setups as I see no memory leak at all.   And you can not use initial server startup memory usage as a baseline.  So you still have to identify that setup.

BloodyIron

In the bug report I filed, I was talking about my metrics showing a growth of 100-200MB perr day, over the span of multiple weeks, as a consistent pattern. This was also conclusive as it spilled over into SWAP and continued to grow there too. I am not talking about initial memory usage whatsoever, and I honestly have no idea why you think that's what I'm talking about, because I have given zero indication of such.

Yes, I know that servers take RAM to work. I'm not talking about that at all, I'm talking about a leak I observed that was conclusively provable over a longer-ish period of time.

Anyways, I don't know why we're still "arguging" this, because I'm clearly not the only person who has observed leaking over the last while either.

Has it been fixed already? Perhaps, but that's why I'm continuing to monitor the situation so I can provide useful feedback from my metrics and observations.

So, at this point, what else would you like me to say that might be helpful?

But this only affects a select set of setups as I see no memory leak at all.   And you can not use initial server startup memory usage as a baseline.  So you still have to identify that setup.

Happy2Play

In the bug report I filed, I was talking about my metrics showing a growth of 100-200MB perr day, over the span of multiple weeks, as a consistent pattern. This was also conclusive as it spilled over into SWAP and continued to grow there too. I am not talking about initial memory usage whatsoever, and I honestly have no idea why you think that's what I'm talking about, because I have given zero indication of such.

Yes, I know that servers take RAM to work. I'm not talking about that at all, I'm talking about a leak I observed that was conclusively provable over a longer-ish period of time.

Anyways, I don't know why we're still "arguging" this, because I'm clearly not the only person who has observed leaking over the last while either.

Has it been fixed already? Perhaps, but that's why I'm continuing to monitor the situation so I can provide useful feedback from my metrics and observations.

So, at this point, what else would you like me to say that might be helpful?

Right but if one doesn't and has never had this isue, do we know the variables that replicate the issue as from what has been posted, not that I have see.

Edited by Happy2Play

BloodyIron

I'm sorry but I really don't understand what you just said. Not only is that a nonsense sentence, but conceptually I have no idea what you're taking issue with here. This is not me personally attacking you, and it may seem like that. But this is me seriously not understanding what your concern is.

As such, I'm gong to get back to work, because it sounds a lot like you don't understand my situation, and I'm going to leave such dialogue to be continued with the devs as I don't think continuing this discussion with you in particular is a fruitful endeavour.

Right but if one doesn't and has never had this is, do we know the variables that replicate the issue as from what has been posted, not that I have see.

Happy2Play

I'm sorry but I really don't understand what you just said. Not only is that a nonsense sentence, but conceptually I have no idea what you're taking issue with here. This is not me personally attacking you, and it may seem like that. But this is me seriously not understanding what your concern is.

As such, I'm gong to get back to work, because it sounds a lot like you don't understand my situation, and I'm going to leave such dialogue to be continued with the devs as I don't think continuing this discussion with you in particular is a fruitful endeavour.

No I just can not replicate the issue on any machine.