Emby server memory usage

parrish

jnheinz

Are the plugins configured?  As my test will probably show nothing since I have never used or need these plugins (so they are unconfigured).

@@Happy2Play

Emby for Kodi Sync Queue - Just enabled.  No additional configuration.

Podcasts - I have two RSS feeds setup (although I think the second is broken currently) .. http://podcast.armadamusic.com/asot/podcast.xmlhttp://bengold.podbean.com/feed/

PushBullet - You'd have to sign up for a PushBullet account & get an API key.. enable it for one user, and setup Emby Notifications to send PushBullet notifications on Video Start/Stop to PushBullet.

Server Config Backup - Backups up to a remote SMB share.. retention is 60 days with a scheduled task enabled, daily at 12:01AM.

All DLNA stuff disabled.  No libraries, no Live TV.  Some users created.  Debug logging enabled.  All scheduled tasks have default schedules except the top 2.  I removed their schedules.  UPnP port mapping disabled.  This server is registered with Emby Connect.  No devices present except the Chrome browser I use.

I am running Server 2012 R2, not a perfect match.. but.

If it was sqlite why would it only effect a small group of servers?

It's something that will vary based on usage patterns.

I have a fresh install and am getting low memory errors as well. I do use live tv quite a bit with multiple HDHR and IPTV. I have 16 gig of ram. Interesting is that when I start task manager I have only 2.5-3 gig used by emby and quite a bit free. I started looking into "committed memory" but I don't fully understand it.

Not sure how or if it's related but I am watching the football game and MVP is at 3200 MB and climbing. I've run crashed Emby multiple times presumably because I'm running out of memory.

Not sure how or if it's related but I am watching the football game and MVP is at 3200 MB and climbing. I've run crashed Emby multiple times presumably because I'm running out of memory.

What tuner do you have?

I have multiple HDHR but the one in use is HDHR 4 as reported by emby

Edit: this one is a connect... 3802 now

Edited by Bert

Originally just watching but I actually accidentally started recording it. I only noticed the MPV memory after it started recording but wasn't really looking for it before that.

I am... I've been using Xbox One and server would crash. I'd go to my server and there was a memory low warning. I just brought up MVP because I saw it tonight and thought maybe somehow it was related.

Happy2Play

Yeah MPV is what was using the memory in this case. See my second post.

So are you saying a external play was eating the memory or Emby Server?

Fyi, Interesting update...

I took a peak at things last night (err..early this morning around 1:30am), on the server and the Emby service process was at that point up to just a hair over 6 GB memory consumed. Since my last post (Monday), where the Emby process was at ~4.5 GB utilized it had consumed another 1.5 GB of memory in just a hair over 2 days. Checked the Emby logs, there was zero user activity over that whole two day period... as in nothing was streamed, so only normal scheduled tasks taking place and whatever synchronizing that takes place while (2) of the Kodi client machines sit there idly connected (they are always on/connected 7/24) but not doing anything.

As I had mentioned previously, I perform all my LiveTV/PVR stuff separately outside of Emby using the NextPVR s/w service on my server directly talking to my Kodi clients through Kodi's LiveTV/PVR embedded support. However, I had figured that I would make the change to fully Emby (decommission NextPVR) at some point, but had not done it as of yet. In the meantime, my (2) HD Homerun boxes were ​ID'd in Emby's LiveTV configuration eventhough not being utilized in any way. I had configured Emby to connect to ScheduleDirect and pull down 7 days of guide data every 24 hrs and that was really the only thing going on with LiveTV to my knowledge.

So at 1:30am when I saw Emby up to 6 GB of memory usage and no client activity whatsoever in over 2 days... I thought I'd try something, I went in to the Emby LiveTV config and removed/deleted the HD Homerun tuners so they don't even show up / appear. Then I deleted the ScheduleDirect configuration, so in effect there is absolutely nothing on the LiveTV config page... just a blank page. Restarted the Emby service and watched it for 5 minutes to see it climb up to and level off at ~350 MB memory usage. I connected through the dashboard interface to confirm all was ok... then went to bed. Btw, all the scheduled tasks that Emby performs are scheduled to happen between midnight and 5am daily.

I just had a few minutes, so I took a look at my server and now at 1:00pm almost 12 hrs later... Emby service is sitting at ~260 MB memory use and holding steady... hmmm, typically within the first 12 hrs (from previous observations) from restarting the Emby service... it would creep up to about 600 - 700 MB usage, here it hadn't and actually decreased by 100 MB.

Granted it has only been 12 hrs, but that's interesting none the less and I will check in on it later tonight to see how it looks...

@@TheHwyman, you're suggesting you saw high memory usage related to live tv, but without playing or recording anything. If that is the case, if you could try the next beta server and compare that would be helpful. thanks.

So are you saying a external play was eating the memory or Emby Server?

I am not sure but I don't think so. My server is in the basement home theater and it gets used as a client very little. More used for viewing are Xbox One clients, computers, and off site a Fire Stick. For the past few weeks I've had issues where clients would give me spinning circle when trying to tune live tv. I'd go down to the basement and the server would show a windows error of low memory and want to close server. Most of the time, server will not start again and the loading screen will green the status bar about 90% and go no further. Restarting the machine resolves this. Last night I was watching in the basement so I was able to watch it more. Eventually I would start to get weird artifacts and pixelization and crashes so I started task managerand I watched the task MVP climbing in memory. Previously when I was getting error messages I would check task manager and it reported around 1500 MB of memory use for server which seems fine. I assumed that maybe the server had spiked and calmed back down. I don't use any external players everything I do is native Emby. I just figured I'd report what I was seeing because maybe it was a clue. I have only amateur computer knowledge and wasn't sure if maybe server used Mpv components for anything or not.

Happy2Play

I'm confused what does MVP have to do with "MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe" task?

I am not sure it does, I was simply reporting what's going on. I believe I have been pretty clear with what my experience was and my lack of technical expertise. Also I provided logs for both server and theater. Again, if server doesn't use MVP components by process of elimination its unrelated to server issues.