Show Intro Skip Option

Liquidfire88

Micael456
7 minutes ago, Cheesegeezer said:

We are on 2.1.0.0 currently.

Yeah, as I said, took a lot longer this time around. About a week all-in I think.

Personally I found I could bump up to three threads without failures for the fingerprinting, but not quite TD? Any chance those two config options could be split out?

Much happier with it taking 3x as long vs. frequent server crashes though.

Looking forward to the new version!

Edited by Micael456

rbjtech
25 minutes ago, Micael456 said:

Personally I found I could bump up to three threads without failures for the fingerprinting, but not quite TD? Any chance those two config options could be split out?

They are - but not in the GUI ;)

This is to stop users ramping up to the max and then complaining they can't use emby - so it's been set low as the default.

We'll probably add an 'advanced' section in the written instructions for those that have the power to ramp it up (with a disclaimer haha)

- Fingerprinting(FP) is hard on Disk I/O

- TitleSequence Detect(DT) is hard on CPU (but is no longer hard on memory)

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 1

Cheesegeezer
1 hour ago, crusher11 said:

I've sent @samuelqwe some audio-only files of some full Alfred Hitchcock Hour episodes, and the results of my scan. Hopefully we can hammer out why that's such a mess.

Ok cool, myself and @rbjtech did the same, so Sam had a comparison.  RBJ's were all picked up correctly however mine weren't for the exact same episodes.  The result was that mine had a distinct change in pitch and loudness as certain points so although the window of detection was picked up the times were off for the end of my intro.

crusher11
2 minutes ago, Cheesegeezer said:

Ok cool, myself and @rbjtech did the same, so Sam had a comparison.  RBJ's were all picked up correctly however mine weren't for the exact same episodes.  The result was that mine had a distinct change in pitch and loudness as certain points so although the window of detection was picked up the times were off for the end of my intro.

What was the source of yours and @rbjtech's? Mine are from a PAL DVD which I've converted to NTSC speed, so they're likely different to both.

The bizarre thing is that it's not just failing on most episodes, it's picking up random mid-episode spots as the intro.

Regarding single-episode seasons and comparing them to past seasons, would it not be a good idea to compare to the previous season and just throw out the result if it doesn't get a match? 99% of the time a show will use the same intro from one season to the next, so it seems silly not to at least try. You'd just need to avoid marking it as "completed scan, no intro found" so it gets rescanned when a second episode is added.

Cheesegeezer
1 minute ago, crusher11 said:

What was the source of yours and @rbjtech's? Mine are from a PAL DVD which I've converted to NTSC speed, so they're likely different to both.

The bizarre thing is that it's not just failing on most episodes, it's picking up random mid-episode spots as the intro.

Both of ours were AC3 encoded.  obviously mine had a blip during the process and RBJ's didn't.

1 minute ago, crusher11 said:

Regarding single-episode seasons and comparing them to past seasons, would it not be a good idea to compare to the previous season and just throw out the result if it doesn't get a match? 99% of the time a show will use the same intro from one season to the next, so it seems silly not to at least try. You'd just need to avoid marking it as "completed scan, no intro found" so it gets rescanned when a second episode is added.

This is handled in the next release (today/shortly).

Single episode Seasons, will not use previous season episodes as a match, this is incase the studio decides to change the intro.  What you can do is manually edit the first episode, and when the second is added it will automatically conduct the detection process comparing the 2 to each other and carry on as if nothing had happened.

crusher11
24 minutes ago, Cheesegeezer said:

Both of ours were AC3 encoded.  obviously mine had a blip during the process and RBJ's didn't.

But where did the AC3 files come from? 

24 minutes ago, Cheesegeezer said:

Single episode Seasons, will not use previous season episodes as a match, this is incase the studio decides to change the intro. 

Right, but what I'm saying is the chances of that happening are pretty low, so why not try and compare with the previous season anyway? The only way that's a problem is if you flag it as "doesn't have an intro" and it therefore doesn't get looked at when the second episode is added. 

Cheesegeezer
4 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

But where did the AC3 files come from? 

From the Video file. using "eac3to" to demux audio from video.

4 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

Right, but what I'm saying is the chances of that happening are pretty low, so why not try and compare with the previous season anyway? The only way that's a problem is if you flag it as "doesn't have an intro" and it therefore doesn't get looked at when the second episode is added. 

Not as low as you think actually. Final Seasons in a show often change a little to make for a more dramatic effect, although subtle this would catch us out, so regardless of how you may want it to act.... it's not ever going to do that! Ok?

My final comment on this..... it doesn't matter what the user does with the HasSequence Flag if there is only one episode in a season, you can set it to what ever you like.  We know (coded) there is only one episode in the season and if that's the case (regardless of the flag) it will conduct the match algorithm for that season once it has a comparison episode to detect against.

3 hours ago, Cheesegeezer said:

Agree-was difficult to follow when everything was in the schedule task class.

Think this may have been for our dev thread lol 😂 but very cool indeed! 

We can have a chat when you get up this morning, I’ve been herding cattle this morning for their pedicure lol

Yeah, I was tired (my new job is exhausting), and accidentally posted here. 😆

Edited by chef
  • Like 1

crusher11
1 hour ago, Cheesegeezer said:

From the Video file. using "eac3to" to demux audio from video.

Yes, but what was the original source? A DVD? A torrent? I assume they're not both from the same DVD set, or they'd both behave identically.

1 hour ago, Cheesegeezer said:

Not as low as you think actually. Final Seasons in a show often change a little to make for a more dramatic effect, although subtle this would catch us out, so regardless of how you may want it to act....

But even if every show did this for its final season, those seasons would still be a clear minority in terms of every season of TV ever. The vast majority of shows don't do that, so it's even more a minority.

Like, in my entire collection, if you compared the first episode of a season with the preceding season's intro, the following would fail:

1. Blackadder, Season 2
  2. Blackadder, Season 3
  3. Blackadder, Season 4
  4. The Newsroom, Season 2
  5. Penn & Teller: BS! Season 5
  6. White Collar, Season 2
  7. The Wire, Season 2
  8. The Wire, Season 3
  9. The Wire, Season 4
  10. The Wire, Season 5

The following would successfully pick up the intro:

1. Alfred Hitchcock Hour, Season 2
  2. Alfred Hitchcock Hour, Season 3
  3. Alfred Hitchcock Presents, Season 2
  4. Alfred Hitchcock Presents, Season 3
  5. Alfred Hitchcock Presents, Season 4
  6. Alfred Hitchcock Presents, Season 5
  7. Alfred Hitchcock Presents, Season 6
  8. Alfred Hitchcock Presents, Season 7
  9. Big Bang Theory, Season 2
  10. Big Bang Theory, Season 3
  11. Big Bang Theory, Season 4
  12. Big Bang Theory, Season 5
  13. Big Bang Theory, Season 6
  14. Breaking Bad, Season 2
  15. Breaking Bad, Season 3
  16. Breaking Bad, Season 4
  17. Breaking Bad, Season 5
  18. Chuck, Season 2
  19. Chuck, Season 3
  20. Chuck, Season 4
  21. Chuck, Season 5
  22. Dexter, Season 2
  23. Dexter, Season 3
  24. Dexter, Season 4
  25. Dexter, Season 5
  26. Dexter, Season 6
  27. Dexter, Season 7
  28. Dexter, Season 8
  29. Fawlty Towers, Season 2
  30. House, Season 2
  31. House, Season 3
  32. House, Season 4
  33. House, Season 5
  34. Life on Mars, Season 2
  35. NCIS, Season 2
  36. NCIS, Season 3
  37. NCIS, Season 4
  38. NCIS, Season 5
  39. The Newsroom, Season 3
  40. Penn & Teller: BS! Season 2
  41. Penn & Teller: BS! Season 3
  42. Penn & Teller: BS! Season 4
  43. Penn & Teller: BS! Season 6
  44. Penn & Teller: BS! Season 7
  45. Penn & Teller: BS! Season 8
  46. Prison Break, Season 2
  47. Prison Break, Season 3
  48. Prison Break, Season 4
  49. Prison Break, Season 5
  50. Psych, Season 2
  51. Psych, Season 3
  52. Psych, Season 4
  53. Psych, Season 5
  54. Psych, Season 6
  55. Psych, Season 7
  56. Psych, Season 8
  57. QI, Series B
  58. QI, Series C
  59. QI, Series D
  60. QI, Series E
  61. QI, Series F
  62. QI, Series G
  63. QI, Series H
  64. QI, Series I
  65. QI, Series J
  66. QI, Series K
  67. QI, Series L
  68. QI, Series M
  69. Oz, Season 2
  70. Oz, Season 3
  71. Oz, Season 4
  72. Oz, Season 5
  73. Oz, Season 6
  74. Rush, Season 2
  75. Rush, Season 3
  76. Rush, Season 4
  77. The Sopranos, Season 2
  78. The Sopranos, Season 3
  79. The Sopranos, Season 4
  80. The Sopranos, Season 5
  81. The Sopranos, Season 6
  82. Twin Peaks, Season 2
  83. Twin Peaks, Season 3
  84. The West Wing, Season 2
  85. The West Wing, Season 3
  86. The West Wing, Season 4
  87. The West Wing, Season 5
  88. The West Wing, Season 6
  89. The West Wing, Season 7
  90. White Collar, Season 3
  91. White Collar, Season 4
  92. White Collar, Season 5
  93. White Collar, Season 6
  94. Yes Minister, Season 2
  95. Yes Minister, Season 3
  96. Yes Prime Minister, Season 2

So in over 90% of cases, comparing to the previous season would give the correct result.

Cheesegeezer
3 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

Yes, but what was the original source? A DVD? A torrent? I assume they're not both from the same DVD set, or they'd both behave identically.

But even if every show did this for its final season, those seasons would still be a clear minority in terms of every season of TV ever. The vast majority of shows don't do that, so it's even more a minority.

Like, in my entire collection, if you compared the first episode of a season with the preceding season's intro, the following would fail:

1. Blackadder, Season 2
  2. Blackadder, Season 3
  3. Blackadder, Season 4
  4. The Newsroom, Season 2
  5. Penn & Teller: BS! Season 5
  6. White Collar, Season 2
  7. The Wire, Season 2
  8. The Wire, Season 3
  9. The Wire, Season 4
  10. The Wire, Season 5

The following would successfully pick up the intro:

1. Alfred Hitchcock Hour, Season 2
  2. Alfred Hitchcock Hour, Season 3
  3. Alfred Hitchcock Presents, Season 2
  4. Alfred Hitchcock Presents, Season 3
  5. Alfred Hitchcock Presents, Season 4
  6. Alfred Hitchcock Presents, Season 5
  7. Alfred Hitchcock Presents, Season 6
  8. Alfred Hitchcock Presents, Season 7
  9. Big Bang Theory, Season 2
  10. Big Bang Theory, Season 3
  11. Big Bang Theory, Season 4
  12. Big Bang Theory, Season 5
  13. Big Bang Theory, Season 6
  14. Breaking Bad, Season 2
  15. Breaking Bad, Season 3
  16. Breaking Bad, Season 4
  17. Breaking Bad, Season 5
  18. Chuck, Season 2
  19. Chuck, Season 3
  20. Chuck, Season 4
  21. Chuck, Season 5
  22. Dexter, Season 2
  23. Dexter, Season 3
  24. Dexter, Season 4
  25. Dexter, Season 5
  26. Dexter, Season 6
  27. Dexter, Season 7
  28. Dexter, Season 8
  29. Fawlty Towers, Season 2
  30. House, Season 2
  31. House, Season 3
  32. House, Season 4
  33. House, Season 5
  34. Life on Mars, Season 2
  35. NCIS, Season 2
  36. NCIS, Season 3
  37. NCIS, Season 4
  38. NCIS, Season 5
  39. The Newsroom, Season 3
  40. Penn & Teller: BS! Season 2
  41. Penn & Teller: BS! Season 3
  42. Penn & Teller: BS! Season 4
  43. Penn & Teller: BS! Season 6
  44. Penn & Teller: BS! Season 7
  45. Penn & Teller: BS! Season 8
  46. Prison Break, Season 2
  47. Prison Break, Season 3
  48. Prison Break, Season 4
  49. Prison Break, Season 5
  50. Psych, Season 2
  51. Psych, Season 3
  52. Psych, Season 4
  53. Psych, Season 5
  54. Psych, Season 6
  55. Psych, Season 7
  56. Psych, Season 8
  57. QI, Series B
  58. QI, Series C
  59. QI, Series D
  60. QI, Series E
  61. QI, Series F
  62. QI, Series G
  63. QI, Series H
  64. QI, Series I
  65. QI, Series J
  66. QI, Series K
  67. QI, Series L
  68. QI, Series M
  69. Oz, Season 2
  70. Oz, Season 3
  71. Oz, Season 4
  72. Oz, Season 5
  73. Oz, Season 6
  74. Rush, Season 2
  75. Rush, Season 3
  76. Rush, Season 4
  77. The Sopranos, Season 2
  78. The Sopranos, Season 3
  79. The Sopranos, Season 4
  80. The Sopranos, Season 5
  81. The Sopranos, Season 6
  82. Twin Peaks, Season 2
  83. Twin Peaks, Season 3
  84. The West Wing, Season 2
  85. The West Wing, Season 3
  86. The West Wing, Season 4
  87. The West Wing, Season 5
  88. The West Wing, Season 6
  89. The West Wing, Season 7
  90. White Collar, Season 3
  91. White Collar, Season 4
  92. White Collar, Season 5
  93. White Collar, Season 6
  94. Yes Minister, Season 2
  95. Yes Minister, Season 3
  96. Yes Prime Minister, Season 2

So in over 90% of cases, comparing to the previous season would give the correct result.

See the source image

• Haha 1

I understand why you'd want comparing episodes from previous seasons.

It is extra code and logic:

Is there a previous season?

do we still have all the finger prints available in the database for the previous?

We'd have to keep fingerprints for the entire series (not just per season, so bigger databases for longer periods of time)

So it's not so simple.

It's possible for the future. Thanks!

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, chef said:

I see what you did there... lol 😂

3 minutes ago, chef said:

do we still have all the finger prints available in the database for the previous?

I am seeing it as a big issue as I usually like to watch the intro of the first episode of a season because it tends to change on some shows.
However, if you wanna go down that road and the fingerprints of the previous seasons is available anymore, why not just simply recreate those fingerprints?
It shouldn't take more than a few minutes and you would have something to compare the new episode against.

21 minutes ago, neik said:

I see what you did there... lol 😂

I am seeing it as a big issue as I usually like to watch the intro of the first episode of a season because it tends to change on some shows.
However, if you wanna go down that road and the fingerprints of the previous seasons is available anymore, why not just simply recreate those fingerprints?
It shouldn't take more than a few minutes and you would have something to compare the new episode against.

Yes. That is most likely what would have to happen. 

• Like 1

rbjtech

Guys, I think we need to be mindful of when this would be needed.

If you already have the complete show - all seasons, all episodes - then the issue doesn't exist - as you will already have more than one episode to Detect from.

If you are watching a current show and have waited for the new season to start - then you won't have the DVD for it 🤪  - the only option is to 'Record' it yourself or get by other means.

Seasons do not run 'back to back' - so there is usually a significant wait period in-between the previous season finishing and the new season starting.

So personally, hearing the Intro again for the first episode of the  'new season' is not such a big deal. 

Once Episode two arrives - it will be compared to Episode one and BOTH will then have the Intro's Detected for future/repeat viewing.

---

@crusher11 - nothing would fail in your collection - as all seasons have more than 1 episode ... ;)

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

crusher11
2 hours ago, chef said:

I understand why you'd want comparing episodes from previous seasons.

It is extra code and logic:

Is there a previous season?

We'd have to keep fingerprints for the entire series (not just per season, so bigger databases for longer periods of time)

So it's not so simple.

You'd only need to keep the fingerprint of the most recent season with more than one episode, though.

• Agree 1

On 22/09/2021 at 13:43, chef said:

It will run the fingerprinting task on ItemAdded event too.

Is his in the current version (v2.1.0.0), or will it be in the soon to be released version (v2.1.1.0) please?

Cheesegeezer
27 minutes ago, Banquero said:

Buenas tardes, como añado el plugin (dll) en Emby Server para Synology DSM7?..No veo la ruta..Muchas gracias...

lo siento amigo, mi espanol no es muy bueno.

Pero, Si... debería estar allí.

Basically can anyone help him out. He has installed the plugin but he can't see the route on Synology DSM7.  Any of you guys have any experience with this.

Thanks

Edited by Cheesegeezer

rbjtech

Still in testing.

We have picked up some issues with 'large' library scans (20-30K episodes) plus some chapter issues to resolve.

During the limited Beta testing we did, these issues did not materialise, but now we are running on our own 'Production' systems - it appears we have some more issues to solve. 

To set expectations - The next release is probably going to be early next week as we don't want to issue a release with known issues..

• Thanks 1

crusher11
On 9/23/2021 at 8:23 PM, crusher11 said:

I don't believe we ever got around to answering this one. @rbjtech @Cheesegeezer

rbjtech
1 hour ago, crusher11 said:

I don't believe we ever got around to answering this one. @rbjtech @Cheesegeezer

The source is largely irrelevant.  DVD's from the same season may have different Intro fingerprints - we have tested this ourselves by cut and pasting an Intro from a same season episode.  The 'new' episode, then picks up the Intro when the 'Authored' Intro did not - to you and I, it's the same.

As we have said before, there is a fine balance on the accuracy of picking up the Intro's - there may be some shows where the accuracy is lower than average - we have seen a few of those (for no 'Audible' reason what-so-ever) but as long as the majority are good (~90%) - then for a first release of emby doing this - you will have to deal with the manual correction of those items.

• Agree 1