Square Theme: General Help Thread

Soultaker

Starkadius

Long time Neo theme fan. Immediately purchased your Square theme even though I couldn't use it, was waiting for the latest MBC beta 3.0.117 update. Finally got around to messing around with it and noticed an "issue" but not sure if it is by design or just not implemented yet. It appears that indexing is not being saved?

What I mean by this is that Movies, TV and Music has the option to browse by Genre on the EHS level but other collection/media folder types do not have a Genres option. I tried clicking on the "Browse..." box and then indexing by Genre, it does index by Genre but as soon as I leave and return to the "Browse..." it resets it to show all items again. Would it be possible to have the option to show a Genres box for other media folder/collection types such as Home Videos, Games, Mixed on the EHS level just like Music, TV and Movies?

MrFlibbles

Just updated to MBC 3.0.117 and Square 1.1.23 and have been playing with some options and views. Love the clean look. However, I seemed to have broken the view on one of my media folders and it now hangs MBC.

This is what I did:

• Entered "Movies" media folder from EHS. Poster view was selected and I flicked through the display options, thumb, coverflow etc, and returned to poster view. All worked fine.
  • Then I tried the Cover Menu and attempted to select the Backdrop option and MBC hung. I thought it was taking a while to load the backdrop images from the server so I let it sit there for a few minutes but nothing changed. I closed WMC.
  • When I opened MBC again, Square was still the theme and EHS worked fine. I could move between each media folder and the appropriate items would show (collection, last watched etc). Even on "Movies" media folder.
  • Selecting "Movies" media folder resulted in MBC hanging again. I could navigate back out to WMC using a mouse but nothing else within MBC. Restarting WMC brought back Square and the same results as above.
  • Entering any other media folder was fine. In none of these had I played with the Cover Menu option.
  • I have removed the theme, and the user.xml file under plugins\configuration, restarted HTPC and tried again with the same results
  • Testing with Chocolate theme I can enter the "Movies" collection without issue

It seems I am missing something when attempting a clean removal and re-install of the Square theme. Is there a config file tucked away somewhere that is holding the Cover Menu display option for my "Movies" collection? Is that what is causing this issue?

Edited by MrFlibbles

yardameus

Ok, really love it.  Great job with the extras and customizability.  I was wondering if you intentionally omitted the titles (or labels).  I'm assuming this was to make it more minimal.  I would like to have titles in there, at least at the top of the summary if you choose to have the summary showing.  Either way, great job.  ^_^

Soultaker

Just updated to MBC 3.0.117 and Square 1.1.23 and have been playing with some options and views. Love the clean look. However, I seemed to have broken the view on one of my media folders and it now hangs MBC.

This is what I did:

• Entered "Movies" media folder from EHS. Poster view was selected and I flicked through the display options, thumb, coverflow etc, and returned to poster view. All worked fine.
  • Then I tried the Cover Menu and attempted to select the Backdrop option and MBC hung. I thought it was taking a while to load the backdrop images from the server so I let it sit there for a few minutes but nothing changed. I closed WMC.
  • When I opened MBC again, Square was still the theme and EHS worked fine. I could move between each media folder and the appropriate items would show (collection, last watched etc). Even on "Movies" media folder.
  • Selecting "Movies" media folder resulted in MBC hanging again. I could navigate back out to WMC using a mouse but nothing else within MBC. Restarting WMC brought back Square and the same results as above.
  • Entering any other media folder was fine. In none of these had I played with the Cover Menu option.
  • I have removed the theme, and the user.xml file under plugins\configuration, restarted HTPC and tried again with the same results
  • Testing with Chocolate theme I can enter the "Movies" collection without issue

It seems I am missing something when attempting a clean removal and re-install of the Square theme. Is there a config file tucked away somewhere that is holding the Cover Menu display option for my "Movies" collection? Is that what is causing this issue?

Depends on how many items you have in movies, loading up full HD Backdrops is a performance killer for sure.

I think the custom display settings are stored in displaypreferences.db

Try this workaround before nuking your displaypreferences.db

1) Open MBC with chocolate

2) Go to movies folder and switch to details view

3) Switch to Square theme

4) Go to movies folder

5) Change cover type to posters, or something less intense

I got to go right now, will check back late at night.

• Like 1

Soultaker

Long time Neo theme fan. Immediately purchased your Square theme even though I couldn't use it, was waiting for the latest MBC beta 3.0.117 update. Finally got around to messing around with it and noticed an "issue" but not sure if it is by design or just not implemented yet. It appears that indexing is not being saved?

What I mean by this is that Movies, TV and Music has the option to browse by Genre on the EHS level but other collection/media folder types do not have a Genres option. I tried clicking on the "Browse..." box and then indexing by Genre, it does index by Genre but as soon as I leave and return to the "Browse..." it resets it to show all items again. Would it be possible to have the option to show a Genres box for other media folder/collection types such as Home Videos, Games, Mixed on the EHS level just like Music, TV and Movies?

Question to the floor what other common indexes do people use? and if you can specify which collection type that would help a lot.

eg. for myself:

• Movies
    • Genre
  • TV
    • Genre
    • Studios
  • Like 2

MrFlibbles

Depends on how many items you have in movies, loading up full HD Backdrops is a performance killer for sure.

I think the custom display settings are stored in displaypreferences.db

Try this workaround before nuking your displaypreferences.db

1) Open MBC with chocolate

2) Go to movies folder and switch to details view

3) Switch to Square theme

4) Go to movies folder

5) Change cover type to posters, or something less intense

I got to go right now, will check back late at night.

Many thanks for the reply Soultaker. Sorry I did not think of trying that myself :) It worked just fine and I was able to switch back the Cover Menu to poster and then switch back the view to poster.

Soultaker

Love this theme..

A few requests:

Is there any way we can have the grey boxes around the thumbs to be translucent or even better the opaqueness adjustable?

How about a way so when I start MB, it takes me directly to the App screen?

Reorder the app screen so that the TV apps are at the beginning of the apps screen and Live TV is highlighted?

1) If you don't mind getting your hands dirty you can edit the colors by overriding them via a customstyles file.

2) Direct to app screen is a nice feature request beware that my feature list is rather long at the moment, so it will be a while.

3) Highly unlikely app reorder / live tv highlighted will happen.

Soultaker

Many thanks for the reply Soultaker. Sorry I did not think of trying that myself :) It worked just fine and I was able to switch back the Cover Menu to poster and then switch back the view to poster.

No need to apologize, your question probably helped 5 other people. Glad you got it back to normal.

Soultaker

@AdrianW Hey dude, I tried playing about with the breadcrumbs as per your suggestions. Due to the lack of space available it wasn't very good, it just felt off and looking a bit poor visually. After trying it out I won't be putting it in, but hey it was worth a try. :)

@@Soultaker thanks for respecting aspect ratios for dvd or bluray cases in square! It was the one thing that drove me nuts with neo!!! PLEASE don't change it!

Sent by my HTC8X using Tapatalk

Will this have its own editable stylesheet, I would like to change the focus frame to firebrick, will there be show labels for the coverflow view and will it support rating images?

Cheers for the hard work and glad you are making awesome themes again

AdrianW

@AdrianW Hey dude, I tried playing about with the breadcrumbs as per your suggestions. Due to the lack of space available it wasn't very good, it just felt off and looking a bit poor visually. After trying it out I won't be putting it in, but hey it was worth a try. :)

OK - thanks for trying. 

Starkadius

Question to the floor what other common indexes do people use? and if you can specify which collection type that would help a lot.

eg. for myself:

• Movies
    • Genre
  • TV
    • Genre
    • Studios

• Movies
    • Genre
    • Years
  • TV
    • Genre
  • Music
    • Genre
  • Home Videos
    • Genre (tags)
  • Photos
    • Genre (tags)
  • Games
    • Genre
  • Anime (Mixed type)
    • Genre

I have other Mixed type collections as well not listed but basically I use genre for all my media types.

• Like 1

Soultaker

Will this have its own editable stylesheet, I would like to change the focus frame to firebrick, will there be show labels for the coverflow view and will it support rating images?

Cheers for the hard work and glad you are making awesome themes again

@@Spanner

Hi, yes you can edit the styles if you use a CustomStyle.mcml file details are here.

I noticed on souls army there where images of square with a white back ground. It mentions the ability to switch these dark and light themes in the apps panel under the configuration square. I haven't been able to locate this.

Has this changed or perhaps it is another custom style mcml file?

Soultaker

I noticed on souls army there where images of square with a white back ground. It mentions the ability to switch these dark and light themes in the apps panel under the configuration square. I haven't been able to locate this.

Has this changed or perhaps it is another custom style mcml file?

1. On the Home screen navigate to the Apps tab, then tap the Configuration tile. tile_config_thumb%25255B12%25255D.jpg?im

2. Navigate to the Theme Options tab.

3. Change the Color Scheme option, by choosing one of the following:
    • To make your background light, choose Default Blue
    • To make your background dark, choose Black

NOTE: Any other value will simply result in the Default color scheme being used

4. Remember, color scheme changes require a restart of Media Browser Classic to take effect.

Is there a trial of square? It's not bringing it up after I select it.

S.

HVe you selected the theme in the configuration tab in media browser yet?

Remember you need to have Classic set to dev updates xXSagaiaXx

No you don't.  That was last week - before 117 was released.

Soultaker

Heads up, for those of you following this thread there is a new version of Square posted details are in the 2nd post of this thread.

• Like 2

Starkadius

Thank you so very much for adding the genre/year boxes to the different media types! Makes a huge difference, many thanks.