Linux Setup

Luke

hurricanehrndz

I ran the script

root@UNRAID:~# docker run -d --net=host --name="mbserver" -v /mnt/cache/apps/mbserver:/MBServer/ProgramData-Server -v /mnt/user:/MEDIA -p 8096:8096 mediabrowser/mbserver
Unable to find image 'mediabrowser/mbserver' locally
Pulling repository mediabrowser/mbserver
d7880d83209b: Download complete
511136ea3c5a: Download complete
d7ac5e4f1812: Download complete
2f4b4d6a4a06: Download complete
83ff768040a0: Download complete
6c37f792ddac: Download complete
e54ca5efa2e9: Download complete
a800ef5e8d21: Download complete
98ae52ac5d0f: Download complete
3a2c34f9258d: Download complete
b934f8bcf90c: Download complete
1877e375987d: Download complete
d71ee264de94: Download complete
e07571b74ffe: Download complete
7b2f760b9491: Download complete
48d124900894: Download complete
cd3e000f056e: Download complete
23d135067368: Download complete
cb8f74bf924e: Download complete
6480e34057f9: Download complete
04b713626bf0: Download complete
340f08d89236: Download complete
b67281299f74: Download complete
f2fadb47a022: Download complete
c7a1235ae9da: Download complete
ad13cb4f7d5e: Download complete
5d0d717052bf: Download complete
31e7efa2dd3b: Download complete
0dc6d8951dce: Download complete
aaa130b865c0: Download complete
656235c1a709: Download complete
b29fa92c29c1: Download complete
698ace86db43: Download complete
3f46f4435d86: Download complete
38b6ea21856d: Download complete
d8200b8c0cf9: Download complete
42ed525de2c1: Download complete
18f6a29d2a45fc942b0eeea4059272bc3cd542965d11ac91cd5aed7adfb7b38b
root@UNRAID:~# docker ps
CONTAINER ID        IMAGE                          COMMAND             CREATED             STATUS              PORTS               NAMES
18f6a29d2a45        mediabrowser/mbserver:latest   /start.sh           2 minutes ago       Up 2 minutes                            mbserver
root@UNRAID:~# docker images
REPOSITORY              TAG                 IMAGE ID            CREATED             VIRTUAL SIZE
mediabrowser/mbserver   latest              d7880d83209b        2 days ago          1.648 GB
My question is do  you really need a base image that large. 

New one should be smaller.

deaerator

I ran the docker command with "-u nobody" and it fails to start even after the run command

I ran the docker command line without "-u nobody" and it works

mysterious gremlins at work here

hurricanehrndz

I ran the docker command with "-u nobody" and it fails to start even after the run command

I ran the docker command line without "-u nobody" and it works

mysterious gremlins at work here

If you had previously run the container with the default root user the data files may be owned by root and thus user nobody can't access them.. i will have a look though.

elParaguayo

Just wanted to say that latest docker command works for me (I'm slowly beginning to understand what docker does).

Looking forward to trying this out.

When planning to announce beta testing? How's the plans for Synology are going?

Sent from my HTC Butterfly using Tapatalk

PhAzE

Hey Luke,

I think it would still be pertinent to have the Linux binaries made along side the windows releases as you've been doing, but is there a more permanent location they can be hosted instead of the dropbox account?

As some have mentioned, docker on unraid is just in the latest beta release, so I will likely finish my plugin sometime this week.  That way every unraid user can install and start using mb3.

If there is a location to host the zip file more permanently, would you also be able to post the current version number and possibly host an md5 hash for the download in the same location as the file?  

If I make the plugin point to the link in your first post and then it gets moved our taken down, unraid users won't be able to install the app properly.

Also, are there 32 bit and 64 bit versions of MB3 or do the binaries work on either arch type and only the dependencies need arch specific versions?

Edit: Typing on a phone leaves my auto-correct in control of the conversation

Edited by PhAzE

is it possible to move my windows mb3 database to linux ?

I'm interested in that too?

Sent from my HTC Butterfly using Tapatalk

smitopher

i doubt that kind of migration is going to work out very well.

As a developer, I think Luke is rather massively understating the effort and the likely poor result.

WAY WAY easier to just let MB3 reprocess the library.

Initial testing indicate it's working. However Chrome is very slow and seems to get stuck sometimes, and throwing out "there was an error processing the request" all over the place.

Internet explorer does not show these onscreen, but log indicates some problems in Chrome and IE

Maybe you still need something from mono-git, I will do more testing later, off to bed now.

Example log errors:

Warn - App: PlaybackStopped reported with null media info.
2014-07-09 01:07:30.0210 Error - DtoUtils: ServiceBase<TRequest>::Service Exception
        Argument cannot be null.
        Parameter name: path
        System.ArgumentNullException
        at MediaBrowser.Common.Net.MimeTypes.GetMimeType (string) <0x00a1f>
        at MediaBrowser.WebDashboard.Api.DashboardService.Get (MediaBrowser.WebDashboard.Api.GetDashboardResource) <0x000f3>
        at (wrapper dynamic-method) object.lambda_method (System.Runtime.CompilerServices.Closure,object,object) <0x00074>
        at ServiceStack.Host.ServiceRunner`1<MediaBrowser.WebDashboard.Api.GetDashboardResource>.Execute (ServiceStack.Web.IRequest,object,MediaBrowser.WebDashboard.Api.GetDashboardResource) <0x00345>

2014-07-09 01:07:30.0223 Error - HttpServer: Error processing request for /mediabrowser/dashboard/
        Argument cannot be null.
        ServiceStack.HttpError
        No Stack Trace Available

2014-07-09 01:07:30.0267 Error - DtoUtils: ServiceBase<TRequest>::Service Exception
        Argument cannot be null.
        at MediaBrowser.WebDashboard.Api.DashboardService.Get (MediaBrowser.WebDashboard.Api.GetDashboardResource) <0x000f3>
        at (wrapper dynamic-method) object.lambda_method (System.Runtime.CompilerServices.Closure,object,object) <0x00074>
        at ServiceStack.Host.ServiceRunner`1<MediaBrowser.WebDashboard.Api.GetDashboardResource>.Execute (ServiceStack.Web.IRequest,object,MediaBrowser.WebDashboard.Api.GetDashboardResource) <0x00345>

2014-07-09 01:07:30.0267 Error - HttpServer: Error processing request for /mediabrowser/dashboard/
        Argument cannot be null.
        ServiceStack.HttpError
        No Stack Trace Available

2014-07-09 01:07:30.0295 Error - DtoUtils: ServiceBase<TRequest>::Service Exception
        Argument cannot be null.

2014-07-09 01:07:30.0295 Error - HttpServer: Error processing request for /mediabrowser/dashboard/
        Argument cannot be null.
        ServiceStack.HttpError
        No Stack Trace Available
Edited by KRA

Could only post 1 code snip pr message, here's another one

Info - App: FFMpeg exited with code 0
2014-07-09 01:07:30.0085 Error - App: Error streaming media. The client has most likely disconnected or transcoding has failed.
2014-07-09 01:07:30.0101 Error - HttpResponseExtensions: Error in HttpListenerResponseWrapper: Write failure
        Write failure
        System.IO.IOException
          at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.Write (System.Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at System.Net.ResponseStream.InternalWrite (System.Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at System.Net.ResponseStream.Close () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at ServiceStack.HttpResponseExtensions.CloseOutputStream (System.Net.HttpListenerResponse response) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
        InnerException: System.Net.Sockets.SocketException
        The socket has been shut down
          at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Send (System.Byte[] buf, Int32 offset, Int32 size, SocketFlags flags) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.Write (System.Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

2014-07-09 01:07:30.0105 Error - HttpAsyncTaskHandler: Error occured while Processing Request: Cannot be changed after headers are sent.
        Cannot be changed after headers are sent.
        System.InvalidOperationException
          at System.Net.HttpListenerResponse.set_ContentType (System.String value) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at ServiceStack.Host.HttpListener.ListenerResponse.set_ContentType (System.String value) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at ServiceStack.HttpResponseExtensionsInternal.WriteErrorToResponse (IResponse httpRes, IRequest httpReq, System.String contentType, System.String operationName, System.String errorMessage, System.Exception ex, Int32 statusCode) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at ServiceStack.ServiceStackHost.OnUncaughtException (IRequest httpReq, IResponse httpRes, System.String operationName, System.Exception ex) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at ServiceStack.HostContext.RaiseUncaughtException (IRequest httpReq, IResponse httpRes, System.String operationName, System.Exception ex) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at ServiceStack.HttpResponseExtensionsInternal.WriteToResponse (IResponse response, System.Object result, ServiceStack.Web.ResponseSerializerDelegate defaultAction, IRequest request, System.Byte[] bodyPrefix, System.Byte[] bodySuffix) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at ServiceStack.HttpResponseExtensionsInternal.WriteToResponse (IResponse httpRes, IRequest httpReq, System.Object result, System.Byte[] bodyPrefix, System.Byte[] bodySuffix) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at ServiceStack.HttpResponseExtensionsInternal.WriteToResponse (IResponse httpRes, IRequest httpReq, System.Object result) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at ServiceStack.Host.RestHandler+<>c__DisplayClass5.<ProcessRequestAsync>b__0 (System.Object response) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at ServiceStack.Host.Handlers.ServiceStackHandlerBase.HandleResponse (System.Object response, System.Func`2 callback, System.Func`2 errorCallback) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
Edited by KRA

smitopher

I run in to the same issue with transcoding. My primary HTPC has no issues as it takes care of it's own, but any Android devices or web clients over the internet struggle a bit. I end up using MXPlayer on my phone and tablet and let it do the work. Unfortunately due to space constraints in the chassis I'm stuck with 1 HDD. I've been debating upgrading/replacing it with a SSD as all my MBServer has on it is the OS and MBServer. I have a separate file server for my media.

I doubt that you would see improved transcoding.  While Headless Linux is much lighterweight, I think that for transcoding you are just CPU bound

TrainAss

I doubt that you would see improved transcoding.  While Headless Linux is much lighterweight, I think that for transcoding you are just CPU bound

I wonder if since there'd be less for the CPU to work at (CLI is easier on a system than a GUI) if it'd help any. Time to fire up VirtualBox and toss a VM on there and see what I can do.

TrainAss

I have a question for running a linux MB server, would you recommend having a GUI on the server or would a CLI be OK, or would it just depend on what I'm comfortable with using?

So far so good, but I'm not getting any images. They are already saved to disk in media folder, and metadata manager show images. But nothing on web client. I get "error processing request" popup on regular basis. 

Log is full off stuff like "Error - ServerManager: Received web socket message that is not a json structure: Do%253A"

Snip of server log:

2014-07-08 20:12:03.2521 Error - App: Failed to determine primary image aspect ratio for /usr/local/bin/MB3/ProgramData-Server/root/default/Filmer/poster.jpg
        A null reference or invalid value was found [GDI+ status: InvalidParameter]
        System.ArgumentException
          at System.Drawing.GDIPlus.CheckStatus (Status status) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at System.Drawing.Image.CreateFromHandle (IntPtr handle) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at System.Drawing.Image.LoadFromStream (System.IO.Stream stream, Boolean keepAlive) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at System.Drawing.Image.FromStream (System.IO.Stream stream, Boolean useEmbeddedColorManagement, Boolean validateImageData) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations.Drawing.ImageHeader.GetDimensions (System.String path, ILogger logger, IFileSystem fileSystem) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations.Drawing.ImageProcessor.GetImageSizeInternal (System.String path) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations.Drawing.ImageProcessor.GetImageSize (System.String path, DateTime imageDateModified) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations.Dto.DtoService.AttachPrimaryImageAspectRatio (IItemDto dto, IHasImages item) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

2014-07-08 20:12:03.2522 Info - ImageProcessor: Failed to read image header for /usr/local/bin/MB3/ProgramData-Server/root/default/Opptak/poster.jpg. Doing it the slow way.
2014-07-08 20:12:03.2536 Error - App: Failed to determine primary image aspect ratio for /usr/local/bin/MB3/ProgramData-Server/root/default/Opptak/poster.jpg
        System.ArgumentException
          at System.Drawing.GDIPlus.CheckStatus (Status status) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at System.Drawing.Image.CreateFromHandle (IntPtr handle) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at System.Drawing.Image.LoadFromStream (System.IO.Stream stream, Boolean keepAlive) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at System.Drawing.Image.FromStream (System.IO.Stream stream, Boolean useEmbeddedColorManagement, Boolean validateImageData) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations.Drawing.ImageHeader.GetDimensions (System.String path, ILogger logger, IFileSystem fileSystem) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations.Drawing.ImageProcessor.GetImageSizeInternal (System.String path) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations.Drawing.ImageProcessor.GetImageSize (System.String path, DateTime imageDateModified) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations.Dto.DtoService.AttachPrimaryImageAspectRatio (IItemDto dto, IHasImages item) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

2014-07-08 20:12:03.2536 Info - ImageProcessor: Failed to read image header for /usr/local/bin/MB3/ProgramData-Server/root/default/Serier/poster.jpg. Doing it the slow way.
2014-07-08 20:12:03.2558 Error - App: Failed to determine primary image aspect ratio for /usr/local/bin/MB3/ProgramData-Server/root/default/Serier/poster.jpg
        System.ArgumentException

2014-07-08 20:12:11.3568 Info - ImageProcessor: Failed to read image header for /usr/local/bin/MB3/ProgramData-Server/root/default/Filmer/poster.jpg. Doing it the slow way.
2014-07-08 20:12:11.3581 Error - App: Failed to determine primary image aspect ratio for /usr/local/bin/MB3/ProgramData-Server/root/default/Filmer/poster.jpg
        System.ArgumentException

2014-07-08 20:12:11.5812 Info - ImageProcessor: Failed to read image header for /usr/local/bin/MB3/ProgramData-Server/root/default/Filmer/poster.jpg. Doing it the slow way.
2014-07-08 20:12:11.5823 Error - App: Failed to determine primary image aspect ratio for /usr/local/bin/MB3/ProgramData-Server/root/default/Filmer/poster.jpg
        System.ArgumentException

2014-07-08 20:12:11.5823 Info - ImageProcessor: Failed to read image header for /usr/local/bin/MB3/ProgramData-Server/root/default/Opptak/poster.jpg. Doing it the slow way.
2014-07-08 20:12:11.5837 Error - App: Failed to determine primary image aspect ratio for /usr/local/bin/MB3/ProgramData-Server/root/default/Opptak/poster.jpg
        System.ArgumentException

2014-07-08 20:12:11.5837 Info - ImageProcessor: Failed to read image header for /usr/local/bin/MB3/ProgramData-Server/root/default/Serier/poster.jpg. Doing it the slow way.
2014-07-08 20:12:11.5842 Error - App: Failed to determine primary image aspect ratio for /usr/local/bin/MB3/ProgramData-Server/root/default/Serier/poster.jpg
        System.ArgumentException

smitopher
I run a headless server.  If you are are comfortable with a command line, GUI is not necessary.

The only wrinkle is the first time you run and until you run the first time start-up wizard.  MB3 tries to open a browser and shows a URL with localhost in the console you are running.  Just substitute the server name or ip address for localhost in the URL and open that URL in a browser on a machine with a GUI and you can run the start-up wizard.

• Like 1

TrainAss

I run a headless server.  If you are are comfortable with a command line, GUI is not necessary.

The only wrinkle is the first time you run and until you run the first time start-up wizard.  MB3 tries to open a browser and shows a URL with localhost in the console you are running.  Just substitute the server name or ip address for localhost in the URL and open that URL in a browser on a machine with a GUI and you can run the start-up wizard.

Great thanks. My current hardware is a Dual-Core AMD Athlon64 X2 with 4GB of DDR2 RAM and a 500GB HDD (ATi on-board graphics) running Windows 7 Pro and while it does a decent job I think it might run better if I had a Linux server running on it. What hardware are you using for your MB server?

it looks like you're missing libgdi or don't have the right versionn.

smitopher

Great thanks. My current hardware is a Dual-Core AMD Athlon64 X2 with 4GB of DDR2 RAM and a 500GB HDD (ATi on-board graphics) running Windows 7 Pro and while it does a decent job I think it might run better if I had a Linux server running on it. What hardware are you using for your MB server?

Intel Dual Core Atom D2550, 4 gig ram

64 gig SSD holding the boot drive

12 TB of data storage

running 64 bit Fedora 19/Amahi Home Server.

For file sharing, I run Samba.

Performance wise, I'd call it adequate. Can't transcode very well.

I'd consider a small boot SSD, otherwise your hardware is fine.

Amahi Home Server is nice if you want an easy to setup Linux server but getting the required version of mono is a PITA.  The latest version of Ubuntu is easier to get mono.

Luke, Is mono 3.4 required or is the version in Ubuntu 14.04 adequate? 

I run mono 3.4.

Edited by smitopher

Please add to first post that for Ubuntu 14.04 lts all you need to do is 

sudo apt-get install mono-complete

Then unzip and run MB3 server.

I just spent several hours compiling and ending up with a none working install, purged everything and installed the normal ubuntu way and I had a working system at once. 

• Like 2

i doubt that kind of migration is going to work out very well.