Linux Setup

Luke

I finally found the problem. :)

Mediabrowser is somehow using the ffmpeg path to retrieve the media info. So I moved ffmpeg and linked ffprobe with ffmpeg and tada it worked.

But thats only a bad workaround, because I have to revert the change everytime for transcoding.

And why i'm the only one with this problem ^^. But at least it's finally working

Actually Your not the only one with this problem. we're both on ARM machines. can you be more specific one what you mean by "Moved ffmpeg and linked ffprobe"? I previously systemlinked ffprobe and ffmpeg into mediabrowsers ffmpeg folder under their own folder named 20140509 as described in my first post on this page. but while mediabrowser no longer complains about them I still get the "ffprobe failed" error on some files.

buzzer87

I just renamed ffmpeg to ffmpeg.bak or what ever and ffprobe to ffmpeg.

Now force refresh your files and you get no more ffprobe error and the "media info" tab is not empty anymore.

But you have to revert the change every time you want to transcode something :-(

before rename ffprobe --> ffmpeg

539187cc23cd9_test.jpg

after rename and forced refresh

53918839e7dcd_test2.jpg

buzzer87

Yes, but it's the other way around. I don't know why but it's trying to use <mediabrowserdir>/ProgramData-Server/ffmpeg/linux_x86_64_20140506/ffmpeg for both transcoding and retrieving "Media Info".

Does anybody happens to have issues with Chrome?

The webinterface is pretty much unusable using Google Chome, page not loading correctly, etc, while I have zero issue with Firefox in exemple.

I'm using last build with mono 3.4.0, and last Chrome release.

dantheman

Does anybody happens to have issues with Chrome?

The webinterface is pretty much unusable using Google Chome, page not loading correctly, etc, while I have zero issue with Firefox in exemple.

I'm using last build with mono 3.4.0, and last Chrome release.

I think many people have mentioned this.  In my experience, images/artwork seem to be loading slowly on all browsers.  I've noticed that Firefox performs better than Chrome and IE, especially after it has cached the images.  Chrome hasn't been unusable for me... just very sluggish.

What kind of bugs?

Well for now I had only one occurence of my page not loading, or of my content loading on the same page (You had to scroll down to find it), While I had it almost 50% of the time before the kernel update.

Maybe a small thing, but I noticed quite a change updating from debian 7.0 old kernel to the last backport kernel (3.8.13).

A few bugs remaining with Chrome, but it really looks faster and less buggy than before.

I created a docker image for this. You can find it here.

Ah great job. What's your experience level putting together these kinds of packages for various distros? We could definitely use an extra set of hands to create more. Thanks.

hurricanehrndz

With docker, I'm pretty good. Its a nice easy way for people to install it. You don't need to worry about dependencies, distro or anything, just that you can run docker.

hurricanehrndz

x86 and x64 yes. In terms of arm support, its not officially supported. So individuals seem to have had some success.

hurricanehrndz

i notice in your docket script you listed dependencies such as libgdiplus and mono complete, and i'm assuming docker handles that, correct?

currently app the downloads ffmpeg but i assume this could allow us to remove that and just list it as a dependency, right?

I changed it from mono complete to libmono-cil-dev because it seem to cut down on the space of the docker image by 300 mb. Yes you could remove that from your code and have the docker file do a wget of the latest ffmpeg. Unfortunately ffmpeg is no longer a part of the official ubuntu repo, they now use libav (avconv), so you might still need to use the static builds. You could always add the unofficial repos and install ffmpeg that way too. If you are a member of github, feel free to fork and do a pull request.

Edited by hurricanehernandez

hurricanehrndz

Our whole project is on github:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/MediaBrowser

I think docker looks interesting. Would you be willing to help us with this? I'd like to have something like this in our own repo, and then once perfected, make it available on the website. Thanks.

Yeah for sure.. I would be more than happy to help. I'm also a pretty good C# developer. I just update the Dockerfile to install ffmpeg from ppa. PS Docker seems the way to go for services like this now. It's just much easier for the end user.

I will add the docker file to your project.

PS I noticed that for the most part it works really well in docker, MediaBrowser just seems to get stuck on scanning my library. It's about 10 TB so I'm not sure if that the issue. I have a friend who also reported the same issue. I'm looking at the debug logs, and nothing seems to be out of order the last entry before it stopped was "Running FanArtSeasonProvider for /media/tv/The Mentalist/Season05"

PS My friend wasn't using docker.

hurricanehrndz

Thanks, that would be fantastic. I'd love to extract ffmpeg, if as you say, it can be handled cleanly from the docker script.

Also, you might be able to help out with this issue, I just haven't had a chance to look into it yet:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/MediaBrowser/issues/806

Also for reference, we have some build scripts here that are pretty well documented:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/MediaBrowser/tree/master/Tools

Ok well it seems docker is more geared towards 64bit, but it can run 32bit containers. I can try and build a 32bit container for compiling MediaBrowser and try and solve some of these bugs. I will build two new docker containers that build directly from source, that way no need to zip and stuff and you can test builds rights away. Give me some time. Sorry it seems docker isn't as well supported on 32 bit as I originally had thought.

• Like 1

With docker, I'm pretty good. Its a nice easy way for people to install it. You don't need to worry about dependencies, distro or anything, just that you can run docker.

what about different architectures? do you need multiple docker packages to handle that?

Just updated my kernel to tryout Docker.io last week, great to see a MB3 appliance.

Anyway, I'm encountering an error running the container, with a package that seems unavailable: 

E: Unable to locate package flvtool2
2014/06/17 22:44:07 The command [/bin/sh -c apt-get install libjpeg62 libjpeg62-dev libopencore-amrnb0 libopencore-amrwb0 zlib1g zlib1g-dev x264 libmp3lame0 flvtool2] returned a non-zero code: 100

Any idea why?

Edited by Azor

hurricanehrndz

Just updated my kernel to tryout Docker.io last week, great to see a MB3 appliance.

Anyway, I'm encountering an error running the container, with a package that seems unavailable: 

E: Unable to locate package flvtool2
2014/06/17 22:44:07 The command [/bin/sh -c apt-get install libjpeg62 libjpeg62-dev libopencore-amrnb0 libopencore-amrwb0 zlib1g zlib1g-dev x264 libmp3lame0 flvtool2] returned a non-zero code: 100

Any idea why?

I'm working on creating a container to run from source, I did a commit prematurely, just do a pull for now from the docker index. That one works, I will update once the build from source is complete. Thanks.

This is done now, you can build it yourself. It builds MediaBrowser from git on the fly when you build the image yourself.

x86 and x64 yes. In terms of arm support, its not officially supported. So individuals seem to have had some success.

i notice in your docket script you listed dependencies such as libgdiplus and mono complete, and i'm assuming docker handles that, correct?

currently app the downloads ffmpeg but i assume this could allow us to remove that and just list it as a dependency, right?

I changed it from mono complete to libmono-cil-dev because it seem to cut down on the space of the docker image by 300 mb. Yes you could remove that from your code and have the docker file do a wget of the latest ffmpeg. Unfortunately ffmpeg is no longer a part of the official ubuntu repo, they now use libav (avconv), so you might still need to use the static builds. You could always add the unofficial repos and install ffmpeg that way too. If you are a member of github, feel free to fork and do a pull request.

Our whole project is on github:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/MediaBrowser

I think docker looks interesting. Would you be willing to help us with this? I'd like to have something like this in our own repo, and then once perfected, make it available on the website. Thanks.

• Like 1

Yeah for sure.. I would be more than happy to help. I'm also a pretty good C# developer. I just update the Dockerfile to install ffmpeg from ppa. PS Docker seems the way to go for services like this now. It's just much easier for the end user.

I will add the docker file to your project.

Thanks, that would be fantastic. I'd love to extract ffmpeg, if as you say, it can be handled cleanly from the docker script.

Also, you might be able to help out with this issue, I just haven't had a chance to look into it yet:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/MediaBrowser/issues/806

Also for reference, we have some build scripts here that are pretty well documented:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/MediaBrowser/tree/master/Tools

I made a Request on the SynoCommunity and ask them to made a spk for Synology they have also made a package for Mono v3.4.0-02.

Maybe someone can help to make this possible ;-) thanks anyway from me and all my Synology Friends.

MB launch on my synology nas, amazing!!!!

thanks Alwin

• Like 1