Linux Setup

Luke

I am new in MB3. I spent a whole lot of time to follow the instruction to install the MB3 in ubuntu 14.04 (64 bit). When I tried to run this I got this:

root@our-server:~/MediaBrowser/Docker# sudo docker run -d --net=host -v /opt/appdata/mbserver:/MBServer/ProgramData-Server -v /home/server/MediaBrowser/Docker/testPic:/media -v /etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro --name=mbserver mediabrowser/mbserver
flag provided but not defined: --net

Usage: docker run [OPTIONS] IMAGE [COMMAND] [ARG...]

Run a command in a new container

-P, --publish-all=false: Publish all exposed ports to the host interfaces
  -a, --attach=[]: Attach to stdin, stdout or stderr.
  -c, --cpu-shares=0: CPU shares (relative weight)
  --cidfile="": Write the container ID to the file
  -d, --detach=false: Detached mode: Run container in the background, print new container id
  --dns=[]: Set custom dns servers
  -e, --env=[]: Set environment variables
  --entrypoint="": Overwrite the default entrypoint of the image
  --expose=[]: Expose a port from the container without publishing it to your host
  -h, --hostname="": Container host name
  -i, --interactive=false: Keep stdin open even if not attached
  --link=[]: Add link to another container (name:alias)
  --lxc-conf=[]: Add custom lxc options -lxc-conf="lxc.cgroup.cpuset.cpus = 0,1"
  -m, --memory="": Memory limit (format: <number><optional unit>, where unit = b, k, m or g)
  -n, --networking=true: Enable networking for this container
  --name="": Assign a name to the container
  -p, --publish=[]: Publish a container's port to the host (format: ip:hostPort:containerPort | ip::containerPort | hostPort:containerPort) (use 'docker port' to see the actual mapping)
  --privileged=false: Give extended privileges to this container
  --rm=false: Automatically remove the container when it exits (incompatible with -d)
  --sig-proxy=true: Proxify all received signal to the process (even in non-tty mode)
  -t, --tty=false: Allocate a pseudo-tty
  -u, --user="": Username or UID
  -v, --volume=[]: Bind mount a volume (e.g. from the host: -v /host:/container, from docker: -v /container)
  --volumes-from=[]: Mount volumes from the specified container(s)
  -w, --workdir="": Working directory inside the containe

Can anyone help please?

I just followed the link and installed the latest (0.9.x) version of docker, But I am faceing the same issue:

docker --version
Docker version 0.9.1, build 3600720
root@our-server:~# docker images
REPOSITORY              TAG                 IMAGE ID            CREATED             VIRTUAL SIZE
mbserver                latest              a7d7ebc20661        9 hours ago         427.6 MB
mediabrowser/mbserver   latest              14b0f8c5ebdd        6 days ago          427.6 MB
ubuntu                  trusty              ba5877dc9bec        2 weeks ago         192.7 MB
ubuntu                  14.04               ba5877dc9bec        2 weeks ago         192.7 MB
ubuntu                  latest              ba5877dc9bec        2 weeks ago         192.7 MB
ubuntu                  12.04               b9e56c8f2cf5        2 weeks ago         103.9 MB
ubuntu                  precise             b9e56c8f2cf5        2 weeks ago         103.9 MB
ubuntu                  14.10               6ef6f1a66de1        2 weeks ago         194.1 MB
ubuntu                  utopic              6ef6f1a66de1        2 weeks ago         194.1 MB
ubuntu                  12.10               c5881f11ded9        7 weeks ago         172.2 MB
ubuntu                  quantal             c5881f11ded9        7 weeks ago         172.2 MB
ubuntu                  13.04               463ff6be4238        7 weeks ago         169.4 MB
ubuntu                  raring              463ff6be4238        7 weeks ago         169.4 MB
ubuntu                  13.10               195eb90b5349        7 weeks ago         184.7 MB
ubuntu                  saucy               195eb90b5349        7 weeks ago         184.7 MB
ubuntu                  10.04               3db9c44f4520        3 months ago        183 MB
ubuntu                  lucid               3db9c44f4520        3 months ago        183 MB
root@our-server:~# docker run -d --net=host -v /opt/appdata/mbserver:/MBServer/ProgramData-Server -v /home/server/MediaBrowser/Docker/testPic:/media -v /etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro --name=mbserver mediabrowser/mbserver
flag provided but not defined: --net

Usage: docker run [OPTIONS] IMAGE [COMMAND] [ARG...]

Run a command in a new container

-P, --publish-all=false: Publish all exposed ports to the host interfaces
  -a, --attach=[]: Attach to stdin, stdout or stderr.
  -c, --cpu-shares=0: CPU shares (relative weight)
  --cidfile="": Write the container ID to the file

And also I can't destroy the containers which are running with this version of docker.

never mind. I added 1.1.X version of docker which were able to rn the server finally. But the url, it get created after the server started, is not working. it shows "Unable to connect" notice . Here is the log:

2014-08-07 23:22:14.0045 Info - App: SessionInfoWebSocketListener stop transmitting over websocket to 127.0.0.1:35848
2014-08-07 23:22:14.0055 Info - App: ScheduledTasksWebSocketListener stop transmitting over websocket to 127.0.0.1:35848
2014-08-07 23:23:08.5024 Info - App: IntervalTrigger fired for task: Organize new media files
2014-08-07 23:23:08.5030 Info - App: Executing Organize new media files
2014-08-07 23:23:08.5030 Info - App: Organize new media files Completed after 0 minute(s) and 0 seconds
2014-08-07 23:23:08.5056 Info - ServerManager: Sending web socket message ScheduledTaskEnded
2014-08-07 23:23:41.7528 Info - ImageProcessor: Failed to read image header for /MBServer/ProgramData-Server/data/metadata/ff/ffda843eaba6474901e9072d9dcbc4e6/folder.jpg. Doing it the slow way.
2014-08-07 23:24:06.7235 Info - App: HttpClientManager POST: http://www.mb3admin.com/admin/service/package/retrieveall
2014-08-07 23:25:46.0127 Info - App: SessionInfoWebSocketListener Begin transmitting over websocket to 127.0.0.1:35848
2014-08-07 23:25:46.0130 Info - App: ScheduledTasksWebSocketListener Begin transmitting over websocket to 127.0.0.1:35848

Any help please

jasonmcroy

Hello all. Is there any update to when there will be an easier method to install MBS on Linux? I am a totally new person to Linux and installing via the terminal attempting the instructions on the 1st page with every method has failed completely for me. I know that I must be doing something wrong here but I just have not been able to figure it out as of yet. 

I have tried reading up on various sites on how to use the terminal but most of the commands mentioned on the first page seem foreign to me and most tutorials I find only show you how to get around inside of Linux folders, create folder, files, view how many files are in a folder, etc. 

I am getting a bit frustrated with Linux in general at this point and I am not sure I understand why anyone would want to use the terminal to look at their folders when you can just go to them via the GUI. 

Anyway, just checking because I was successful at installing XBMC via the terminal with their PPA and I think I understand that pretty much. However, all of this Docker stuff just gets confusing to me. 

Sorry for the mini rant here, but I was really hoping to test out the server on my old computer to ensure I could install and run it successfully before trying to move over to Linux on my main Server computer but it looks like I am too dumb to figure this out which is not usually a problem for me to learn new things when I have directions right there to follow. But right now, I can't seem to make sense out of the directions.

-Jason

• Like 1

TMan459
I have a fairly newbie question. Is anyone running MB3 Server on linux accessing a ServerWMC machine? The channel guide works fine. Live streaming does not. I have not tried playing back a recorded show. I get this error message under Settings/Live TV:

"Unavailable (Recorded TV folder ‘\\TK-PC\Recorded TV’ not accessible. Please make sure the Recorded TV folder used by WMC for new recordings is a shared folder. Once done, the network path to this folder must be set in ServerWMC (see ‘Folders’ tab in ServerWMC).)"

I have my share mounted to /mnt/livetv for now, and I have rw access.

Anyone have any luck trying this?

Also, I have a MB3 Server install on the same machine as ServerWMC, and LiveTV steaming works just fine.

EDIT: This is a log from a failed attempt to steam a recorded show.

One more thing. Is a Celeron 2955U just not enough to transcode 1080p content? I'm struggling to keep up with that CPU in an ASUS Chromebox.

Edited by TMan459

There's a new build up to match the stable server release.

Hi @@Luke - so how do I get the 5340 docker build? When I re-clone from git, it keeps giving me 5326.

More generally, what is the simple mechanism to update (as auto download-then-update, like in the Windows version, doesn't seem to happen).

Thanks!!

Edited by doron

superponey

FYI I've correctly made Media Browser Server runnning on Debian 6.0 (x86).

After several tries with Docker and trying to compile Mono from source, post #95068 helped a lot.

Thank for this good piece of software !

Keep on the good work.

• Like 1

Beardyname

** Media Library Scan Fails **

Server installed in a docker container, seems to come up okay and run but media scan fails repeatedly (never completes). 

Here's a log snippet.

2014-08-18 23:13:34.0652 Debug - App: Running MovieNfoProvider for /media/tower/Movies/The Lion in Winter (1968)/The Lion
 in Winter_xvid-belos.avi
2014-08-18 23:13:34.0690 Error - App: Error in Xbmc Nfo
        Text node cannot appear in this state.  Line 1, position 1.
        System.Xml.XmlException
          at Mono.Xml2.XmlTextReader.ReadText (Boolean notWhitespace) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at Mono.Xml2.XmlTextReader.ReadContent () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at Mono.Xml2.XmlTextReader.Read () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at System.Xml.XmlTextReader.Read () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at Mono.Xml.XmlFilterReader.Read () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at System.Xml.XmlReader.MoveToContent () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at MediaBrowser.XbmcMetadata.Parsers.BaseNfoParser`1[MediaBrowser.Controller.Entities.Video].Fetch (MediaBrowse
r.Controller.Entities.Video item, System.String metadataFile, System.Xml.XmlReaderSettings settings, CancellationToken ca
ncellationToken) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at MediaBrowser.XbmcMetadata.Parsers.BaseNfoParser`1[MediaBrowser.Controller.Entities.Video].Fetch (MediaBrowse
r.Controller.Entities.Video item, System.String metadataFile, CancellationToken cancellationToken) [0x00000] in <filename
 unknown>:0
          at MediaBrowser.XbmcMetadata.Parsers.MovieNfoParser.Fetch (MediaBrowser.Controller.Entities.Video item, System.
Collections.Generic.List`1 chapters, System.String metadataFile, CancellationToken cancellationToken) [0x00000] in <filen
ame unknown>:0
          at MediaBrowser.XbmcMetadata.Providers.BaseVideoNfoProvider`1[MediaBrowser.Controller.Entities.Movies.Movie].Fe
tch (MediaBrowser.Controller.Providers.LocalMetadataResult`1 result, System.String path, CancellationToken cancellationTo
ken) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at MediaBrowser.XbmcMetadata.Providers.BaseNfoProvider`1+<GetMetadata>c__async1[MediaBrowser.Controller.Entitie
s.Movies.Movie].MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncTaskMethodBuilder`1[MediaBrowser.Controller.Providers.LocalMetadataResu
lt`1[MediaBrowser.Controller.Entities.Movies.Movie]].Start[<GetMetadata>c__async1] (MediaBrowser.XbmcMetadata.Providers.<
GetMetadata>c__async1& stateMachine) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at MediaBrowser.XbmcMetadata.Providers.BaseNfoProvider`1[MediaBrowser.Controller.Entities.Movies.Movie].GetMeta
data (MediaBrowser.Controller.Providers.ItemInfo info, CancellationToken cancellationToken) [0x00000] in <filename unknow
n>:0
          at MediaBrowser.Providers.Manager.MetadataService`2+<RefreshWithProviders>c__async1[MediaBrowser.Controller.Ent
ities.Movies.Movie,MediaBrowser.Controller.Providers.MovieInfo].MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

2014-08-18 23:13:34.5566 Info - App: HttpClientManager GET: http://www.thetvdb.com/api/GetSeries.php?seriesname=Rewind
2014-08-18 23:13:35.0359 Error - App: Error
        a name did not start with a legal character 60 (<)  Line 37, position 19.
        System.Xml.XmlException
          at Mono.Xml2.XmlTextReader.ReadName (System.String& prefix, System.String& localName) [0x00000] in <filename un
known>:0
          at Mono.Xml2.XmlTextReader.ReadStartTag () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at Mono.Xml.EntityResolvingXmlReader.Read () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at Mono.Xml.Schema.XsdValidatingReader.Read () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at System.Xml.XmlValidatingReader.Read () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at System.Xml.XmlDocument.ReadNodeCore (System.Xml.XmlReader reader) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at System.Xml.XmlDocument.ReadNodeCore (System.Xml.XmlReader reader) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at System.Xml.XmlDocument.ReadNode (System.Xml.XmlReader reader) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load (System.Xml.XmlReader reader) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load (System.IO.Stream inStream) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at MediaBrowser.Providers.TV.TvdbSeriesProvider+<FindSeries>c__async90.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unkno
wn>:0
        --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
          at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter`1[System.String].GetResult () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at MediaBrowser.Providers.TV.TvdbSeriesProvider+<FindIdentity>c__async94.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unk
nown>:0
          at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter`1[MediaBrowser.Controller.Providers.SeriesIdentity].GetResult () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at MediaBrowser.Controller.Providers.ItemIdentifier`2+<FindIdentities>c__async15[MediaBrowser.Controller.Providers.SeriesInfo,MediaBrowser.Controller.Providers.SeriesIdentity].MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter`1[System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1[MediaBrowser.Controller.Providers.SeriesIdentity]].GetResult () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at MediaBrowser.Controller.Providers.SeriesInfo+<FindIdentities>c__async17.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.ConfiguredTaskAwaitable+ConfiguredTaskAwaiter.GetResult () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at MediaBrowser.Providers.Manager.MetadataService`2+<CreateInitialLookupInfo>c__async4[MediaBrowser.Controller.Entities.TV.Series,MediaBrowser.Controller.Providers.SeriesInfo].MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.ConfiguredTaskAwaitable`1+ConfiguredTaskAwaiter[MediaBrowser.Controller.Providers.SeriesInfo].GetResult () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at MediaBrowser.Providers.Manager.MetadataService`2+<RefreshMetadata>c__async0[MediaBrowser.Controller.Entities.TV.Series,MediaBrowser.Controller.Providers.SeriesInfo].MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.ConfiguredTaskAwaitable+ConfiguredTaskAwaiter.GetResult () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at MediaBrowser.Controller.Entities.BaseItem+<RefreshMetadata>c__async1.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at MediaBrowser.Controller.Entities.Folder+<RefreshChildMetadata>c__asyncB.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at MediaBrowser.Controller.Entities.Folder+<RefreshMetadataRecursive>c__asyncA.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.GetResult () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at MediaBrowser.Controller.Entities.Folder+<RefreshChildMetadata>c__asyncB.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at MediaBrowser.Controller.Entities.Folder+<RefreshMetadataRecursive>c__asyncA.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.GetResult () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at MediaBrowser.Controller.Entities.Folder+<ValidateChildrenInternal>c__async9.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations.Library.LibraryManager+<PerformLibraryValidation>c__async50.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations.Library.LibraryManager+<ValidateMediaLibraryInternal>c__async4F.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at MediaBrowser.Common.Implementations.ScheduledTasks.ScheduledTaskWorker+<ExecuteTask>c__AnonStorey25+<ExecuteTask>c__async24.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at MediaBrowser.Common.Implementations.ScheduledTasks.ScheduledTaskWorker+<Execute>c__async9.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

2014-08-18 23:13:35.0359 Info - App: Scan media library Failed after 1 minute(s) and 39 seconds

That got fixed in the windows version yesterday i think, a fix should be out asap.

• Like 1

** Media Library Scan Fails **

Server installed in a docker container, seems to come up okay and run but media scan fails repeatedly (never completes). 

Here's a log snippet.

2014-08-18 23:13:34.0652 Debug - App: Running MovieNfoProvider for /media/tower/Movies/The Lion in Winter (1968)/The Lion
 in Winter_xvid-belos.avi
2014-08-18 23:13:34.0690 Error - App: Error in Xbmc Nfo
        Text node cannot appear in this state.  Line 1, position 1.
        System.Xml.XmlException
          at Mono.Xml2.XmlTextReader.ReadText (Boolean notWhitespace) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at Mono.Xml.XmlFilterReader.Read () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at System.Xml.XmlReader.MoveToContent () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
r.Controller.Entities.Video item, System.String metadataFile, System.Xml.XmlReaderSettings settings, CancellationToken ca
ncellationToken) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
r.Controller.Entities.Video item, System.String metadataFile, CancellationToken cancellationToken) [0x00000] in <filename
 unknown>:0
          at MediaBrowser.XbmcMetadata.Parsers.MovieNfoParser.Fetch (MediaBrowser.Controller.Entities.Video item, System.
Collections.Generic.List`1 chapters, System.String metadataFile, CancellationToken cancellationToken) [0x00000] in <filen
ame unknown>:0
          at MediaBrowser.XbmcMetadata.Providers.BaseVideoNfoProvider`1[MediaBrowser.Controller.Entities.Movies.Movie].Fe
tch (MediaBrowser.Controller.Providers.LocalMetadataResult`1 result, System.String path, CancellationToken cancellationTo
ken) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at MediaBrowser.XbmcMetadata.Providers.BaseNfoProvider`1+<GetMetadata>c__async1[MediaBrowser.Controller.Entitie
s.Movies.Movie].MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncTaskMethodBuilder`1[MediaBrowser.Controller.Providers.LocalMetadataResu
lt`1[MediaBrowser.Controller.Entities.Movies.Movie]].Start[<GetMetadata>c__async1] (MediaBrowser.XbmcMetadata.Providers.<
GetMetadata>c__async1& stateMachine) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at MediaBrowser.XbmcMetadata.Providers.BaseNfoProvider`1[MediaBrowser.Controller.Entities.Movies.Movie].GetMeta
data (MediaBrowser.Controller.Providers.ItemInfo info, CancellationToken cancellationToken) [0x00000] in <filename unknow
n>:0
          at MediaBrowser.Providers.Manager.MetadataService`2+<RefreshWithProviders>c__async1[MediaBrowser.Controller.Ent
ities.Movies.Movie,MediaBrowser.Controller.Providers.MovieInfo].MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

2014-08-18 23:13:34.5566 Info - App: HttpClientManager GET: http://www.thetvdb.com/api/GetSeries.php?seriesname=Rewind
2014-08-18 23:13:35.0359 Error - App: Error
        a name did not start with a legal character 60 (<)  Line 37, position 19.
        System.Xml.XmlException
          at Mono.Xml2.XmlTextReader.ReadName (System.String& prefix, System.String& localName) [0x00000] in <filename un
known>:0
          at Mono.Xml2.XmlTextReader.ReadStartTag () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at Mono.Xml.EntityResolvingXmlReader.Read () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at Mono.Xml.Schema.XsdValidatingReader.Read () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at System.Xml.XmlValidatingReader.Read () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at System.Xml.XmlDocument.ReadNode (System.Xml.XmlReader reader) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load (System.Xml.XmlReader reader) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load (System.IO.Stream inStream) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at MediaBrowser.Providers.TV.TvdbSeriesProvider+<FindSeries>c__async90.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unkno
wn>:0
          at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter`1[System.String].GetResult () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at MediaBrowser.Providers.TV.TvdbSeriesProvider+<FindIdentity>c__async94.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unk
nown>:0
          at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter`1[MediaBrowser.Controller.Providers.SeriesIdentity].GetResult () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at MediaBrowser.Controller.Providers.ItemIdentifier`2+<FindIdentities>c__async15[MediaBrowser.Controller.Providers.SeriesInfo,MediaBrowser.Controller.Providers.SeriesIdentity].MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter`1[System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1[MediaBrowser.Controller.Providers.SeriesIdentity]].GetResult () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at MediaBrowser.Controller.Providers.SeriesInfo+<FindIdentities>c__async17.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at MediaBrowser.Providers.Manager.MetadataService`2+<CreateInitialLookupInfo>c__async4[MediaBrowser.Controller.Entities.TV.Series,MediaBrowser.Controller.Providers.SeriesInfo].MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.ConfiguredTaskAwaitable`1+ConfiguredTaskAwaiter[MediaBrowser.Controller.Providers.SeriesInfo].GetResult () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at MediaBrowser.Providers.Manager.MetadataService`2+<RefreshMetadata>c__async0[MediaBrowser.Controller.Entities.TV.Series,MediaBrowser.Controller.Providers.SeriesInfo].MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at MediaBrowser.Controller.Entities.BaseItem+<RefreshMetadata>c__async1.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at MediaBrowser.Controller.Entities.Folder+<ValidateChildrenInternal>c__async9.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations.Library.LibraryManager+<PerformLibraryValidation>c__async50.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations.Library.LibraryManager+<ValidateMediaLibraryInternal>c__async4F.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at MediaBrowser.Common.Implementations.ScheduledTasks.ScheduledTaskWorker+<ExecuteTask>c__AnonStorey25+<ExecuteTask>c__async24.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at MediaBrowser.Common.Implementations.ScheduledTasks.ScheduledTaskWorker+<Execute>c__async9.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

2014-08-18 23:13:35.0359 Info - App: Scan media library Failed after 1 minute(s) and 39 seconds

paztruck

Are there some easy instructions for the upgrade?  I have the mono installed and media browser mostly working, it gets stuck scanning my movie directories...

paztruck

After posting all of the above, I was inspired to do an update to my package to more elegantly handle starting mono as a systemd service.

If you download this tar archive and extract it, you should find all of the files that you are wanting to run MBS fairly cleanly on a systemd machine.

To give you an idea of the install structure that I have laid out:

Systemd unit file: /etc/systemd/system/mediabrowser-server.service

Binary build of the server: /opt/mediabrowser-server

Program data: /var/opt/mediabrowser-server

How do you handle the updates with this configuration?

thefirstofthe300

How do you handle the updates with this configuration?

The updates are actually very simple.  As I am running my server on Arch, everything is handled by the PKGBUILD and pacman.  The only files that are touched in the update are the binaries sitting in /opt/mediabrowser, bash file located at /usr/bin/mediabrowser-server, and the systemd file.  The database is not handled by the package so the update leaves the database alone.

Starting and stopping the server is handled by the systemd file.  In fact, if you try to launch MB with the bash file, you get an error unless your pwd is /opt/mediabrowser.

The update process really is just a simple update of the server binaries and any extra tweaks I add to the other files to make the package better.

Recently, I just added a system user so that mediabrowser was no longer running as root.  I also changed the names of some of the files so that the naming was less cumbersome.

All of the files that detail how the package works are in the Arch AUR.

I install a fresh copy of Ubuntu Server 14.04 in Virtualbox. I installed the following packages:

git / autoconf / libtool / automake / g++ / gettext / make

I can successfully do ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr/local' but when i do 'make' it finishes with a error:

if test -w /tmp-mono/mono/mcs; then :; else chmod -R +w /tmp-mono/mono/mcs; fi
cd /tmp-mono/mono/mcs && make --no-print-directory -s NO_DIR_CHECK=1 PROFILES='net_2_0 net_3_5 net_4_0 net_4_5 xbuild_12   ' CC='gcc' all-profiles
mkdir -p -- build/deps
make[6]: gmcs: Command not found
make[6]: *** [build/deps/basic-profile-check.exe] Error 127
*** The compiler 'gmcs' doesn't appear to be usable.
*** You need Mono version 2.10 or better installed to build MCS
*** Check mono README for information on how to bootstrap a Mono installation.
make[5]: *** [do-profile-check] Error 1
make[4]: *** [profile-do--basic--all] Error 2
make[3]: *** [profiles-do--all] Error 2
make[2]: *** [all-local] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/tmp-mono/mono/runtime'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp-mono/mono'
make: *** [all] Error 2

How to proceed further? 

Edited by MvL

well this looks like something worth checking out

*** You need Mono version 2.10 or better installed to build MCS

paztruck

Did I get the wrong version?  I downloaded from the link on the first page, finally got it updated and now when going through the setup routine I see this window.  Surprised to see that is says a "Windows Service" is being installed on my Ubuntu 14.04 Linux...

53f91f35b55aa_mediabrowser.jpg