Linux Setup

Luke

One2Go

There a multitude of us here that are waiting for a Linux version. Here is a quote from Phaze from the UnRaid Plug-In forum. He has a plugin for UnRaid waiting in the wings once Binaries are available.

Well, I've been working with Luke to try and figure it out. They now have a docker installation working, but the biggest problem is he doesn't know how to compile a deb file or rpm file which he can first on his own custom repo.

They also lost one of their biggest developers a few months back.  If anyone here knows a step by step methods for making a .deb of the binaries and feels like helping out with the process steps for him, I'm sure it could be up and ready in a week or two after that.
Edited by One2Go

We're close at this point. It won't be too long until we have an easy ubuntu script.

A new build has been posted, a little ahead of the upcoming bug-fix beta. A docker build has been trigger as well.

thefirstofthe300

@@Luke

Thank you so much for posting this update.  I have been particularly frustrated by not being able to download subtitles and I am happy to say that this build would appear to have fixed the problem!  The responsiveness of the entire dev team to known problems is very refreshing as I have also used PLEX.  PLEX (while they do have some fancy features) are in a world of hurt simply because their dev team hasn't posted any bug fix builds in a little over a month.

Please feel free to pass on my comments to the other devs.  YOU GUYS ROCK!

@@Luke

Thank you so much for posting this update.  I have been particularly frustrated by not being able to download subtitles and I am happy to say that this build would appear to have fixed the problem!  The responsiveness of the entire dev team to known problems is very refreshing as I have also used PLEX.  PLEX (while they do have some fancy features) are in a world of hurt simply because their dev team hasn't posted any bug fix builds in a little over a month.

Please feel free to pass on my comments to the other devs.  YOU GUYS ROCK!

Thanks. Please help spread the word externally.

smitopher

While docker seems like a very good tool, it is not "standard".

What we NEED to be "standard" are rpm's (Fedora, RedHat...) and deb's (Ubuntu, Mint, Debian...) in repositories.

Then installation is a matter of running "yum" or "apt-get" (or the distributions GUI package manager)

I suggest that Media Browser should be able to read a startup config file to get the required values to... uhm... startup, like the -programdata parameter.  There are "standard" linux conventions for this.

eg install Media Browser into /opt/mediabrowser-server, create /var/opt/mediabrowser-server for -programdata, create /etc/opt/mediabrowser-server.conf

Next is running as a service.  I have had very good success starting Media Browser using mono-service instead of mono.

One of the days I'm going to sit down, figure out how and then write a systemd configuration file. Then Media Browser will be a well behaved Linux thingamajig.

The rpm's and deb's should built so that that yum and apt-get will be able to install mb3 and all of its dependencies, including the startup configuration file.

I understand that Luke is busy and Linux is not his bailiwick.  Once I get a systemd configuration, and IF NO ONE ELSE LINUX SMARTER THAN ME does it, I'll try to build a Media Browser rpm.

I'm busy too so I will not be able to make it happen in a hurry.

thefirstofthe300

@@smitopher

I can help with the systemd config file actually.

My current file that I use in the AUR package I maintain is

[unit]
Description=Media Server and Transcoder

[service]
ExecStart=/usr/bin/mediabrowser-server

[install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

with /usr/bin/mediabrowser-server being

#! /bin/bash
(cd /opt/mediabrowser-server/; mono MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe -programdata "/var/opt/mediabrowser-server/")

Probably not the cleanest solution but it works for Arch.  :)

Edited by DaBungalow

thefirstofthe300

After posting all of the above, I was inspired to do an update to my package to more elegantly handle starting mono as a systemd service.

If you download this tar archive and extract it, you should find all of the files that you are wanting to run MBS fairly cleanly on a systemd machine.

To give you an idea of the install structure that I have laid out:

Systemd unit file: /etc/systemd/system/mediabrowser-server.service

Binary build of the server: /opt/mediabrowser-server

Program data: /var/opt/mediabrowser-server

For Ubuntu you really should make a PPA

( https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+ppas )

That way all users would need to do to install is

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:Mediabrowser/MBServer
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install mbserver

You should also make a script to run mbserver as a service, but the @reboot in crontab is also an option, albeit not as nice.

thefirstofthe300

@@Luke

I am beginning to want to throw as much help behind this project for Linux packaging as I can.  I am wondering if you can get a hold of me to let me know how to compile the Mono build from source?  If I can figure that out, I could start throwing together a .tar.gz archive for source builds and I could host a few from my own Google Drive account until you guys can get the source hosted somewhere permanent.

I would even be willing to throw up some Ubuntu VMs to attempt to build a deb package.

thefirstofthe300

Dang that was fast!  I just update to 3.0.5323.42281 and you go and push another build.  Very exciting.

PhAzE

He's already working on a PPA setup which in the end will both be the repo and build the deb file. Luke is right when he says they are close, but it's also better to get it right than to rush into an area that's still a little grey.

That being said, hosting a tarball, deb, and eventually rpm version is likely the end result, along with docker and PPA repo.

Unraid support is ready, just waiting for the hosted binaries. Anyone with specific PPA experience is encouraged to contact Luke via PM if they are interested in helping get that setup. The more help with this, the faster it gets done.

gsnerf

Hi,

I'm currently starting to create an ebuild for gentoo. I haven't had the chance to go through the whole thread (it's gotten kinda big ;)) so bare with me if I'm asking things that have already been answered somewhere in between.

Regarding the requirement to build the current mono and libgdiplus version from source: is this still current? I understand, that in january the stable mono build was buggy, which version was that? It seems 3.4 was released quite some time afterwards, is this version buggy to?

The same question goes for libgdiplus, is there a specific version that can be considered safe? As there seems to have been no release in quite some time I suppose I still have to include the development version here?

Regarding the current dev upload in dropbox: is it possible to (additionally?) upload those packages with specific version numbers in the filename and possibly keep the last 5 builds or so?

This would make it easier to track what currently is being installed.

oliverbg1

Hello Luke and all Linux Mediabrowser community!

I want to install Mediabrowser server on Openmediavault (based on debian 6).

I've already install docker but after that i dont know what i have to do...

I tried to follow step by step installation first topic but  with step "Running MediaBrowser Server:" when i follow the link , i dont know what to do whith the git command line...

Does anyone can help me?

MAny thanks, a french media browser 2.6 user who want to give a try to media browser server...

Debug Mode

[...] Does anyone can help me? [...]

Make sure to apt-get install git if you haven't already. Then enter the following commands in your terminal.

git clone --depth=1 https://github.com/MediaBrowser/MediaBrowser.git 
This will clone all files from the repository into a local folder (MediaBrowser).

cd MediaBrowser/Docker
Enter the folder.

docker build --rm=true -t mbserver .
This should set up the Docker container. Edited by Debug Mode
  • Like 1

paztruck

If you still need someone to test script for ubuntu I am willing.  I am running ubuntu 14.04 lts x64 in a KMS VM

I am not a Super Linux guru but I attempted the install on Ubuntu 14.04 ltx x64, used the mono instructions but used the distro version of mono which says libgdiplus is installed and up to date.  Install sqlite3 and the sqlite3-dev but and receiving errors that look like sqlite is missing something?  System.DllNotFoundException ./sqlite3/linux/lib64/libsqlite3.so.0.8.6. 

Any help/ideas would be much appreciated.  This project looks very promising and a nice replacement of Plex.

Error log attached.

server-63542852388.txt

Edited by paztruck

paztruck

You may find a fix on post #402 of this thread.

Thank you, I tried that idea with no effect, tried copying the sql file and changing permissions with no luck either.  :(  Verified size and dates, dates were a little different but no effect.

I guess the gremlins were hard at work over night?  I had restarted the server before going to sleep and woke up this morning with a fresh idea and tried an idea from post #270 modified with my paths

i get MB3 running as a daemon with the following command

mono-service -d:/home/smitopher/MBServer -n:MediaBrowser3  MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe

To my surprise!  :)  the server is up and WORKING!  I gave it a couple directories and it is now scanning/scraping/collecting and what ever else it does to become a media server! 

I will be watching for updates....  Very nice application!

• Like 1

dantheman

I've been running Media Browser for a few months now.  I created some user accounts for my friends and family, and just today, one of them made me aware that they are able to log in to ANY user account.  Specifically, I can select any user, enter anything into the password field, and sign in.  I can even leave the password field blank.

Is anybody else experiencing this issue?

Here's some information as to my current setup:

Ubuntu Server 14.04.1 x64

Media Browser is installed using the latest Docker release

Media Browser is accessed through nginx reverse proxy using my domain name

Please let me know if there's any additional information I can provide.  I didn't know if logs would be helpful.

I would also like to add that my experience using Media Browser has been great, and I'd like to thank the devs for their work.

that is normal when you login to the web interface from the machine hosting the server. perhaps the proxy is fooling it somehow.

dantheman

that is normal when you login to the web interface from the machine hosting the server. perhaps the proxy is fooling it somehow.

Ahh you were right.  I just checked my nginx configuration.  I was running the proxy through localhost.  I switched it to my domain name, and the user login is now working as desired.  

Thanks for the help!