Tiamat - New Android Living Room Client

Redshirt

Deathsquirrel

Edit-glad to see this being resolved.  Perhaps PMs are a more appropriate venue for this sort of thing.

Edited by Deathsquirrel
  • Like 2

radeon

So, same sh*t, different day. From Snazzy2000 stealing my source and it being ignored, to leedavies stealing soultakers and it being ignored, all because it was something to core dev team gained from. Of course, if you ask Luke and Eric, they "did everything in their power to resolve things", not that they banned anyone for doing it or stopped their plugins/themes from being released. And by stealing source, I mean they maliciously decompiled out plugins/themes, hacked out what they wanted from them then went on to develop projects of their own using said "learned knowledge"

Then when it's not rolling in the monetary gain of Luke and Eric's direction, they just screw over the dev and take for themselves. Take Grant and Tikuf in the Roku app, Redshirt in the original Android app and now this.

Same old story, just someone different to pick on.

Sad times! 

• Like 1

Dizzy49

I have been a developer, and I now lead multiple teams of developers, and I look at this entirely differently than others here.

Regarding GPL.  Yes, everyone has access to the code... So what.  Hypothetically, even if the Emby team took TiaMat's code and used it, the actual integration and implementation could give it a completely different end result.  I can search for nearly anything in Google Play store and find 50+ apps that do the same thing.  Sometimes the paid ones are terrible, and the free ones are great.  Sometimes it's the reverse.  There is room for BOTH apps in the ecosystem, and each app's implementation, layout, usability, and overall user experience will determine who gets the download (or who gets the money).  In my case, I have specific needs/wants for an Android app, if Emby's team can't/won't make that happen, maybe TiaMat's can.  Regardless, each team would be able to build off of the other's work in their own way, but would ultimately lead to more stable apps.

There is no doubt that two dev's supporting the server and all of Emby's clients is not enough.  The Emby name will suffer greatly, period...

Regardless of the license model used for clients, Emby can restrict anything they want at the server level.  Hence the Premiere model.  In my mind, the Premiere subscription opens the doors for the Premiere members to connect however they want.  It's a pretty good model.  From a business point of view, Emby could focus solely on the server aspect of things and continue the Premiere model, and allow others to develop the clients.  By not spreading themselves across so many clients AND the server, they can really address the server issues, and give things some real direction.  As I have noted in previous posts, Emby seems to be flailing at a crossroads.  The conspiracy theorist in me feels that they are trying to monetize as much as they can now because they know they are circling the drain.

If it were *ME*, I would focus on expanding the server capabilities: Direct play per device and/or user.  Set certain encoding parameters by device (audio and video), support client side rules (ie 500bitrate if using data network like cell, and 1mb if over wifi, and 2mb if on certain wifi ie Home), ability to play synced videos w/o a connection (on a mobile device, NOT a computer).  I'm sure ther are dozens of other ideas, those are some I suggested and have seen as hot topics.

I would then make agreements with people who have very good 3rd party apps.  Guaranteed, prime support for XXX length of time.  Possibly some monetary compensation.  Having apps available makes Emby as a whole more appealing, and people more likely to buy Premiere subscriptions.  It would also encourage others to build good apps for other devices.

I would ease up on some of the restrictions currently in place until Emby has rock solid Home and Mobile usability.  Currently both are merely OK and lacking some key features.

PERSONALLY, I want to see Emby move forward, but with just two devs, I realistically do not see that happening.  I've run projects like that and something that should have taken us 3 months took us two years to complete.  We lost a crapload of money, and even more reputation.  It was the most expensive learning experience our company ever had.  If you want to seriously compete in the Home and Mobile arenas you have placed yourself into, you need to think and work smart.

• Like 5

Dizzy49

@@Redshirt

I wanted to give you props for your initial post.  I got a great laugh out of it.  I love it when devs don't take things so seriously and have some fun.

I also like all the shows that were in the pics.  Good taste :D

I am sad I missed it and wasn't able to see it in action at all.  We have about a dozen Android devices in the house, mostly mobile, but also a Matricom Gbox Box, and a Pine64.  I also have two HTPC running Windows with Kodi.  You can see why I've been pushing to get Emby to button up some of their issues for Home and/or Mobile support.

• Like 3

arrbee99

Are you sure its RIP ? maybe I've read things wrong (which wouldn't be unusual), but aren't comments about its demise somewhat premature. Certainly hope it carries on, looked pretty damn good to me.

Dead? ..but was it really ever alive? What has happened would be akin to it being "aborted" because of idealogical/politcal reasons. In the sense of it ever having a life, it was never given a chance to acheive that goal. So saying it is "dead" is kicking a dead horse.

There is "hope" this project can be revived and its developers reassured. Not sure if words alone can ever convey truth. These dudes need to skype each other so a human connection develops and they start to see each other eye to eye. Its too hard to tell honesty for mere words.

It also is what it is. Redshirt has been burned twice on android. That song by Great White comes to mind, "Once bitten, Twice shy". So what does third bitten? It never mentions a third bitten in any songs Ive heard. This might be because the person stops, and a third bite can never be given.

Hopefully redshirt and tikuf have thick skin and this isnt the end. And speaking of tikuf, i didnt forget. He was bit on the roku, now bit again. So to both redshirt and tikuf, I raise my beer in your honor *clinks mugs*. You guys are the rare breed, the third party independent spirit. I salute you both. To be continued? Hopefully... :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

MSattler

Dead? ..but was it really ever alive? What has happened would be akin to it being "aborted" because of idealogical/politcal reasons. In the sense of it ever having a life, it was never given a chance to acheive that goal. So saying it is "dead" is kicking a dead horse.

There is "hope" this project can be revived and its developers reassured. Not sure if words alone can ever convey truth. These dudes need to skype each other so a human connection develops and they start to see each other eye to eye. Its too hard to tell honesty for mere words.

It also is what it is. Redshirt has been burned twice on android. That song by Great White comes to mind, "Once bitten, Twice shy". So what does third bitten? It never mentions a third bitten in any songs Ive heard. This might be because the person stops, and a third bite can never be given.

Hopefully redshirt and tikuf have thick skin and this isnt the end. And speaking of tikuf, i didnt forget. He was bit on the roku, now bit again. So to both redshirt and tikuf, I raise my beer in your honor *clinks mugs*. You guys are the rare breed, the third party independent spirit. I salute you both. To be continued? Hopefully... :)

Tikuf has walked away, RedShirt has walked away and source has apparently been destroyed.  So... while it was never alive for most, for those who tested it, it certainly was.   It sucks because I really think Tia was making the Emby Android app better, because it was forced to.   

Tikuf has walked away, RedShirt has walked away and source has apparently been destroyed. So... while it was never alive for most, for those who tested it, it certainly was. It sucks because I really think Tia was making the Emby Android app better, because it was forced to.

If that really is true then... Well, then nothing we say can change anything. All one can do it pontificate on why this happened, how it happened, and how to prevent it from ever happening again.

It also shows there is anger, remorse, pent-up frustration, angst, and jealously very much alive among developers. Where if you make an honest buck with your app you cant openly share your code. But at the same time, its cool to share. But its also cool not to. This is just my opinion, but the majority probably feel the same way. Cest la vie.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

denz

If it is true that is very childish behaviour you put all that effort into something only to destroy without even trying to put it on the online store and let the community decide whether your app is worth paying for. In the previous posts saying that Luke and Ebr will copy that is so wrong in so many ways look at the work they have done up to now if they concentrated on one app those apps would be better than Tia but developing so many apps you can only give so much time to each one. I wish they could allocate for example for the next three weeks we will only concentrate on app 1 and so on. We would have much better apps with more features. I have never seen a developer reply quickly and fix a bug as quickly as the emby team it is amazing and we all benefit from it.

Time like this you need to have cool heads and as speechless said you need to skype each other as communicating over emails and forums can do more harm than good as it can be interpreted the wrong way and from personal experience I have seen how emails can cause more harm than good.

What I find is that in many cases independent developers will get bored and not update exactly like it happened with the Ipad app I paid for it and after awhile no update and now it is uninstalled. The same thing could happen to Tia.

When Luke can share the source so should everyone else and we will all benefit from it.

Lets all get along people. ​

• Like 1

MSattler

Denz,

You apparently have never been in a situation where you have developed an app or help to create a solution and then suddenly find yourself outside of the circle. FornTikuf and Redshirt this wasnt the first or second time they got burned.

Deathsquirrel

For most of us open source vs closed is, at most, an obscure political point.  It was their code.  They can do as they please with it.  Shame though as this looked interesting.

Edited by Deathsquirrel
  • Like 1

denz

Denz,

You apparently have never been in a situation where you have developed an app or help to create a solution and then suddenly find yourself outside of the circle. FornTikuf and Redshirt this wasnt the first or second time they got burned.

Fortunately I have not been in this situation the only contribution that I made to this awesome project is being a premier member I wished I could help with the code but I am not good enough. I still say It is a shame that they want to throw all their work away because end of the day no one can give you the guarantee whether you open source it or keep it closed that you will sell more or less of your app without trying first. As I mentioned before without the developers of emby there wouldn't be Tia so they should give back to community maybe they have I hope they did because we all benefit.

As I said in my previous post I purchased an app that it looked amazing for the ipad now I would be hesitant to purchase another one unless it is made by the developers of emby.  

Like other say it would be a shame not to see this app released as there has been very positive feedback. It is never too late to change your mind.

Dizzy49

Denz,

I wrote a bunch of code that greatly expanded the usability of a plugin I was using for my business many years ago.  The developer of the plugin ended up including it in his plugin as premium content and charge extra for it.  I was never given credit, and the only form of compensation I ever received was that he never raised the price on my service.  His implementation of my code was far more seamless than my own, and there were a few things I didn't do as well as I hoped that he buttoned up nicely.  End result was a more usable and stable system.

Two years later I closed up my business (online sales) and decided to go back to school and pursue more of a dev career.  A week after I cancelled my account I got a call from the developer and he offered me a job.  I am now going on 12 years working with him.  He worked around my school schedule for my undergrad, paid for my PM cert, and most of my Master's in Business.

Over the years we've had multiple people use code from some of our apps/services that we had under GPL.  Some let us know, some didn't.  We kept an eye on our competitors, and borrowed some GPL code from their stuff in return.  Our top 3 competitors for one particular service all perform the same function, but we go about it differently, and one (admittedly) has a much better user interface, but they sacrificed some functionality in the process.

Moral of my story... The world does not end if code is borrowed, and there is plenty of room for competition in the marketplace, and competition can, and usually does make things better.

• Like 8

Pirlo1966

Wow, never thought adult people could publicly behave in such a childish way. I use Emby since 2008/2009. It came a long way and as far as I'm concerned Ebr (and Luke during past few years) made this possible. Thanks for that.

That being said, my media consuming experience with the actual android tv app is bad, very bad. True HD and pgs subtitles lead to transcoding and that's something my NAS cannot handle without lot's of stutter, whilst it seems tiamat has proofed direct play on a shield tv console should perfectly be possible.

I really don't care what app will fix this. I just want my media to play in the best possible quality. And yes, I will be happy to pay for something that works and that continues to become better.

• Like 6

• 4 months later...
shorty1483

Tiamat still works, even after all this time :D

I hope this public statement is no mistake ;) But now the cat is out of the bag I can say that most of the media on my lame Fire TV runs well with this App in direct Play mode. Well done @@Redshirt and @@Tikuf !

Hopefully there will be again some development on the app some time in the future in spite of everything that happened. This one's great!

Edited by shorty1483
  • Like 1

Great for those who were originally testing it but where can the rest of us get a copy? apk anybody?

Edited by Heuer

CBers

It's just the last APK that Redshirt released.

Thought I'd try it out again and it still works :D

shorty1483

It's just the last APK that Redshirt released.

Thought I'd try it out again and it still works :D

The question on this is if it's ok for @@Redshirt and @@Tikuf if the last version gets posted here so that everyone can enjoy. I think there is no need to mention that there is no support for the app as it was still a (very good) beta when it was abandoned.

CBers

The question on this is if it's ok for @@Redshirt and @@Tikuf if the last version gets posted here so that everyone can enjoy. I think there is no need to mention that there is no support for the app as it was still a (very good) beta when it was abandoned.

It's not for me to distribute!