External player support

jscoys

Della Dog

Problem trying to launch PVD16 with external player using {path}

post-81-0-07157700-1460808896_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Della Dog

nodiaque

2.1.9, big problem: when you close the external player, it launch back!!!

Also, I tried using mpc-hc with {path} /play and it says "failed to render the file, file not found".

edit:

Ok, I saw that it's written "put each argument on a seperate line".. wtf? Anyway, this fix the file not found error, but no the fact that at the end of play, it pop a new external player window. From what I understand, it want to start the playback of the next video from the series... What if I want to stop or switch? Right now, I have to close emby theater to do it.

Edited by nodiaque
  • Like 1

I didn't understand thew purpose of starting some ms into the video file. Is there a reason?

Resume.

That would need to be added by ET automatically.

Ok, I saw that it's written "put each argument on a seperate line".. wtf? Anyway, this fix the file not found error, but no the fact that at the end of play, it pop a new external player window. From what I understand, it want to start the playback of the next video from the series... What if I want to stop or switch? Right now, I have to close emby theater to do it.

There is an option in your playback settings to not continue the series.  It may just need to be ignored for now with externals unless ET can determine that you stopped the item vs it ending on its own or can figure out how to pass multiple items.

solabc16

Evening

Thanks Luke et al. for getting this feature incorporated into the latest version of ET.

I've been having a look at it this evening and have noticed a couple of things:-

1) I've seen the 'toString' exception posted by others, this seems to manifest itself when the external player path cannot be found; so with that understanding isn't a big problem, just read it as 'file not found'.

2) I'm using a batch file, so I can script mounting the ISO, etc. and launch the external player. I've observered a couple of things as a result:-

- the initially launched batch file cmd.exe window appears to be hidden, so I use two files - EpLaunch.cmd and EpRunner.cmd

EpLaunch.cmd

@ECHO OFF
CLS
START CMD /C "C:\Program Files (x86)\Emby-Theater\EpRunner.cmd" %1
EXIT

For now EpRunner.cmd simply contains so we can get going and see what's happening...

@ECHO OFF
CLS
ECHO PATH Supplied by Server: %1
PAUSE
EXIT

Which gives us...

57129ca53abbd_extplayer.png

What I'm seeing as the {PATH} is a URL to the transcoded source, which is confirmed on the dashboard.

57129d0a56759_extplayer2.png

What I was expecting to see was the path substituted path to the source file. e.g. (different title)

/volume1/EmbyServer/Movies/BDs/Toy Story (1995)/Toy Story (1995).iso -> \\JFK\EmbyServer\Movies\BDs\Toy Story (1995)\Toy Story (1995).iso

Any thoughts?

Best

- James

Edited by solabc16

JMGNYC

I gave up on the internal player because it seemed so funky with madVR and refresh rate switching. Sometime it would switch, sometimes not, sometimes it wouldn't switch back, sometimes I'd get a blank screen.

So I tried MPC-HC as an external player. Unfortunately although it starts fine, EMBY retakes the focus and pushes itself to the foreground after just a couple of seconds. Anyway around this?

• Like 2

ronsws6

I can't see if this has been mentioned, but unfortunately after being so excited to be able to use vlc player in the new emby for my ISOs, for whatever reason it behaves differently when using as an external player in the new emby. Using all the same arguments that automatically come up in my legacy version, VLC will launch but menus do not work, and even mkv's are sometimes buggy. Both of these issues are not present when using the legacy version.

jscoys

I gave up on the internal player because it seemed so funky with madVR and refresh rate switching. Sometime it would switch, sometimes not, sometimes it wouldn't switch back, sometimes I'd get a blank screen.

So I tried MPC-HC as an external player. Unfortunately although it starts fine, EMBY retakes the focus and pushes itself to the foreground after just a couple of seconds. Anyway around this?

+1 I already mentioned that point. Maybe when the external player's launched Emby could minimize itself? After playback it could mazimize itself? Don't know if it is possible because ET have to monitor the instance of external player...

jasonwilliams

Thanks guys for building this so quickly! 

It would be great if we could trigger the external based on different sets of meta data.  The obvious one is based on the 3D tag.  In the old implementation you had to place a tag directly in the filename, but that was inefficient since we have all this wonderful metadata directly in the Emby database. 

Thanks,

Jason

Heuer

How is it better than asking those who have already got the specific configuration working?

By the way, if you're not going to help, don't bother posting a reply.

Try this. Do not use the /start ms argument as mpc-hc returns an error message of 'unrecognised argument'

external%20player-001.jpg

• Like 1

dimitrik

Try this. Do not use the /start ms argument as mpc-hc returns an error message of 'unrecognised argument'

Thanks, I did that and it works fine.

Or rather, it works fine on my desktop (windows 10 x64).

On my HTPC (windows 7 x64) MPC-HC launches and starts playing the file, but Emby theatre stays on the foreground so you can't see anything. Sometimes you can stop the player, sometimes you can't.

Too bad because I had high hopes for this, but I guess it still needs work.

And the worst thing is that the internal player completely fails on my HTPC too.

It seems ET is just not ready for primetime. :(

JMGNYC

I have the exact same problems. I'm beginning to think its Windows 7 and it's just time to upgrade to Windows 10.

dimitrik

I don't see how the problem could be Windows 7.

I have emby for wmc installed on the same machine, configured to use MPC-HC as an external player and everything works perfectly.

This is clearly an ET issue. In fact if you don't run ET full screen, there's no problem, the external player works ok and stays on top. But if you run ET full screen (which you would on an HTPC) then it stays on top of the player :-(

It's pretty disappointing when the core functionality is so buggy.

• Like 1

Heuer

I have Win 7 on my HTPC and Win 10 on my desktop PC and both work perfectly with the external player and the above settings. Maybe you have different Theatre settings and that is causing it? My 'display' is set to auto - not tried the other options.

With ET failing on your HTPC regardless of player maybe there lays the problem?

Edited by Heuer

JMGNYC

I can also confirm that it seems Emby is transcoding everything sent to an external player which is pretty much a deal breaker sadly.

JMGNYC

I have Win 7 on my HTPC and Win 10 on my desktop PC and both work perfectly with the external player and the above settings. Maybe you have different Theatre settings and that is causing it? My 'display' is set to auto - not tried the other options.

With ET failing on your HTPC regardless of player maybe there lays the problem?

I set my "Display" to Auto and the problem went away and the external player stays in front now. So I'd say it is an ET problem not the PC or OS. 

However, see above. Transcoding is a deal breaker for external players. The whole point would be to not lose quality inherent in transcoding. 

JMGNYC

i'm not able to reproduce that. Was the internal player direct playing?

I rechecked and even though the dashboard says it is transcoding it is not using any CPU. Only MPC-HC is using CPU so perhaps it is a problem with the dashboard display. I do not see a transcode log either. If you can tell me what to look for in the server log I could double check that if you want.

I'd love to use the internal player but want madVR and refresh rate switching and it seems to just not work no matter what combination of settings I'm using. The video doesn't play unless I alt-tab through to find it in the stack. It's like the transparency of the controls overlay isn't working.

Edited by JMGNYC

solabc16

Evening

I've just updated the server to v3.0.5930.0 and ET to v2.2.2. The path being supplied is still to a transcoded source, as I described here http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/31284-external-player-support/?p=322205

Here's the relevant section from the log, which appears to provide some insight...

2016-04-18 19:59:53.9241 Info HttpServer: HTTP POST http://192.168.236.105:8096/emby/Items/75dcbeb26d161d0b05458391376c23a7/PlaybackInfo?UserId=0e338bf82b684e2e9601d46c1ec78c68&StartTimeTicks=0. UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) EmbyTheater/2.2.2 Chrome/49.0.2623.75 Electron/0.37.6 Safari/537.362016-04-18 19:59:53.9283 Info App: Cannot direct play due to unknown content bitrate2016-04-18 19:59:53.9283 Info App: Cannot direct play due to unknown content bitrate2016-04-18 19:59:53.9283 Info App: Profile: Unknown Profile, Path: \\JFK\EmbyServer\Movies\BDs\Spy (2015)\Spy (2015).iso, isEligibleForDirectPlay: False, isEligibleForDirectStream: False2016-04-18 19:59:53.9283 Info App: Cannot direct play due to unknown content bitrate2016-04-18 19:59:53.9283 Info App: Cannot direct play due to unknown content bitrate2016-04-18 19:59:53.9283 Info App: Profile: Unknown Profile, Path: \\JFK\EmbyServer\Movies\BDs\Spy (2015)\Spy (2015).iso, isEligibleForDirectPlay: False, isEligibleForDirectStream: False2016-04-18 19:59:53.9304 Info HttpServer: HTTP Response 200 to 192.168.236.108. Time: 7ms. http://192.168.236.105:8096/emby/Items/75dcbeb26d161d0b05458391376c23a7/PlaybackInfo?UserId=0e338bf82b684e2e9601d46c1ec78c68&StartTimeTicks=02016-04-18 19:59:53.9502 Info HttpServer: HTTP POST http://192.168.236.105:8096/emby/Sessions/Playing. UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) EmbyTheater/2.2.2 Chrome/49.0.2623.75 Electron/0.37.6 Safari/537.36

5715304dc1bea_extplayer3.png

- James

Edited by solabc16