Status of Tizen

KRA

AgileHumor

@@Luke, Any updates when this will be released to the app store?

This is a low priority for me personally, but wanted to track the eventual app store release.

Edited by AgileHumor
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
horstepipe

@@Luke, Any updates when this will be released to the app store?

This is a low priority for me personally, but wanted to track the eventual app store release.

yeah please give us a status update

simonw1909

I have a Samsung smart tv model number UE48j500Ak is there anyway of getting emby on it..

Your replys would be good. So I have a now tv box gen 3 anyway if putting emby on that?

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FrostByte

Right now there isn't a native Samsung app which will work on your TV as it's running the newer Tizen OS which the current app wasn't written for. 

I don't know much about the Now TV systems, but you can check this link to see if that works for you. 

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/689-how-to-install-emby-on-now-tv/

Other options may be using the Samsung web browser and the HTML app.  Otherwise the Roku and Nvidia Android boxes work very well from what I hear.  There will also be a XB1 app released here soon if you have one of those.  Another option is if you have a J-series (or older) BD player or HTS you can try running the old app on that.  Most J-series HD/HTS are still running the older OS, but from what I hear results may be mixed on them

I've seen Luke mention that he may be willing to write something new, though I don't know the status on that.  I believe his idea was going to wrap the web app into a Tizen app.  The other project to rewrite the old app into Tizen I believe is no longer in the works as it became too much work to convert the old code. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
tjalfe

Any updated status on an app for Samsung Tizen TV? I would be more than happy to help in testing the app and supplying logs for troubleshooting.

At the moment i Use Plex, but i'm considering a move to Emby since it has hardware acceleration support on the server side.

I have to renew my Plex pass subscription in two months, so would like to hear some news on a possible Emby app for Samsung TVs

I have a UE55KS7005 which is a 2016 model

horstepipe

Any updated status on an app for Samsung Tizen TV? I would be more than happy to help in testing the app and supplying logs for troubleshooting.

At the moment i Use Plex, but i'm considering a move to Emby since it has hardware acceleration support on the server side.

I have to renew my Plex pass subscription in two months, so would like to hear some news on a possible Emby app for Samsung TVs

I have a UE55KS7005 which is a 2016 model

I think we can stop hoping for a Tizen App, you should stay with Plex or get a Fire TV stick or similar.

naf623

Oh, that's really disappointing. I just got a new Samsung smart TV today, and was hoping to be able to put an Emby app onto it instead of having Kodi separately on a Pi.

How does the HTML interface perform?

horstepipe

How does the HTML interface perform?

Here, on a UE J 6250 it is quite unusable. Can't figure out how to disable the mouse and use arrow keys instead. Maybe you have more luck on other devices.

AgileHumor

The new Samsung app store regulations have been an issue to getting this released. Even though I've donated a few hundred to make it happen, the issues encountered with the app store submission process were unexpected.

I'm questioning the effort vs reward as a Samsung tv can easily be augmented with a roku or fire stick

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

horstepipe

The app could easily be sideloaded like on the non-Tizen Samsung TVs couldn't it?

Edited by horstepipe

horstepipe

I'm questioning the effort vs reward as a Samsung tv can easily be augmented with a roku or fire stick

In my opinion a Tizen app is crucial.

Samsung is the most common TV brand. Most Emby Server operators will have (no nerdy) people in their circle of friends or family who have a Tizen TV and are absolutely happy with it. Why make them buy another device, a second remote etc...?

This is just my opinion but I think this fact makes a lot of people switch over/back to Plex.

Regards

Edited by horstepipe

FrostByte

Wonder how Plex got theirs accepted then.  They've had one for awhile though I guess before the rules changed

The problem with it not making it to the store is that the user base will always be small and limited to just those who visit the forums.  Chessdragon had similar issues with the current app being accepted and finally he just gave up before Samsung eventually said they would no longer accept apps for the older TVs. 

I think it all comes back to what AH said and is the time and effort worth it to build an for a few users if Samsung is being too strict about accepting the app and there are other options out there.  Having it on the store would bring more users

horstepipe

The problem with it not making it to the store is that the user base will always be small and limited to just those who visit the forums. 

But it's not about the people who see the app in the store. It's about the server operators who want to distribute cilents to their mates. And I think almost all of those people visit the forums.

FrostByte

You could be right.  The user base for the old app never really got that big though.  Chess and then cmcg always felt for the app to really take off new users not familiar with Emby would need to see it in the Store.  That's really up to Luke or whomever is building the Tizen version to decide I guess.   I too would like to see a native app eventually as I'm eyeing a new TV myself, but I'll just use one of the new UWP apps to run it off my Xbox One if I have to

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 1

Well... I sure hope a native app would be available in the store in the future.

For me personally, i wouldn't care if it needs to be sideloaded or installable from the store.

The reason why i would like to see an app for tizen is that Emby has hardware accelerated encoding support, which is a great thing above Plex.

Now that 4k i getting more and more common, the CPU's people have in their servers could start to struggle, and here i see Emby come out on top of Plex with hardware support.

My tv can play a 4k file without any issues, but when i choose to add a subtitle in plex, it triggers transcoding and my cpu is struggeling and the playback stops to buffer all the time. All this is when using Plex. Would love to test the same scenario on in an Emby app.

Also... buying an external box for running Emby app is not green thinking.

SamES

Well, the E-Series died an unexpected death this week.  Fortunately I'm expecting to get a full refund which should see a shiny new 75inch Sammy land on the most watched wall of the house.

It will be disappointing to not have a native Emby app.  To be honest, I would say almost 75% of the family screen time is through Emby.  In fact it was having @@chessdragon136's original app with direct streaming that got me started on MediaBrowser server.  It's been great that @@cmcg has been able to carry on with this.  Oh what to do?

Is there some beginnings of a Tizen release anywhere to tinker with (Github?) or is it all just too hard?  Sorry, I may have missed the discussion on why development has stopped (I'm assuming it has stopped?)

Alternatively, is there a decent device with a reasonable Emby client?  Roku sounds like capable hardware, but I don't get the feeling that the client  is progressing all that well either.   Is there anything else that people have found to be a worthwhile alternative?

A great server is nothing more than a great server without also having great clients.  Yes, there are some but to see such a feature disappear from the Samsung landscape would be a disappointment.

Edited by SamES

SamES

@@SamES - you should be able to access the Emby Theatre app via the built-in browser, but to be honest, the last time I checked it, it wasn't very user-friendly.

I haven't tried it for a while, so it's probably come on leaps and bounds :)

Thanks, I'll have to give it a go, but it does seem like a compromise.  Probably not the easiest app for the kids to navigate.

FrostByte

Sorry to hear about the TV Sam, but a full refund on an old E-series TV?  That's one hell of a warranty :)

SamES

Sorry to hear about the TV Sam, but a full refund on an old E-series TV?  That's one hell of a warranty :)

Yeah, fortunate.  Full replacement if it failed within 5 years.  Happy that I got that worked into the package all that time ago

• Like 1

@@SamES I just wanted to say thank you for all your input the the SmartHub client. I'll be sorry to lose you.

I started tinkering with the SDK for Tizen. HTML and JavaScript are the same across platforms. The first big hurdle to get over is that the Tizen file system is purely asynchronous, so you can't just request a user preference value and wait for the answer. The whole of settings and logging needs rewriting. Only then can you get the client to actually run, at which point you can start to worry about API access to actually play something, which is also totally different to SmartHub and I never even got started on that.

• Like 1

FrostByte

Not sure if Luke is still writing his, or not, but maybe @SamES can pick it up now that he is getting a new TV.  He seems knowledgeable on coding :)

• Like 2