Status of Tizen

KRA

FrostByte

I think he was hinting at that Luke tested the webclient on his personal Samsung TV and is looking to now package that into an app instead. 

Cmcg is/was working on porting the current app to Tizen, but mentioned it has not been an easy task so far.

That is the latest as I've seen

• Like 2

horstepipe

would be nice if you could post a status update every month here so we can see that something happens :D

• 2 weeks later...
horstepipe

Hi Mark,

Thanks for getting in touch. I'm sorry I don't have better news for you but the Tizen port is at an early stage. I'll post back here if I make some news worthy progress.

Any progress here by now?

FrostByte

Any progress here by now?

cmcg mentioned elsewhere that he is tied up with some other things that he needs to get done by the end of the month.  Hopefully we'll see him back in June

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
Hisma

just want to post here so I can keep up to date with the status of this.  I have a H series samsung w/ a one connect upgrade that gave me tizen.  So I am looking forward to this.

One thing I hope that gets added to this version is either

a) native UHD resolution

B) selectable resolution

I remember the previous samsung app was locked in at 1080p.  But I think you can't even buy a non-UHD TV from samsung after 2014, so I don't see so much sense making the tizen app non-UHD.  

FrostByte

The resolution of the current app has nothing to do with the resolution that the tv itself can display for broadcast or streamed content.  The resolution of the app only applies to the resolution of the metadata images it displays when scrolling through your library.  Even the old SD version of the app could stream 1080p/2160p content as long as the tv itself could display that content.  It was set up this way because the SmartHub runs at a lower resolution than the tv itself supports

Same could apply to newer devices and the SmartHub on UHD sets may or may not run at UHD on all tvs even though it could stream UHD content.  

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 1

Hisma

@@FrostByte, yes I understand that.  But browsing the in-app library clearly looks downscaled on a UHD TV.  Whereas all the typical samsung apps are ran at UHD resolution and don't look pixelated/downscaled as the emby app did.  I realize it could still play movies of any resolution, but it would still make for a better experience if the app could scale to the native resolution of the TV, which is 2160p for the majority of tizen equipped TVs.

• Like 1

CBers

Something needs to be done for Tizen users, otherwise we'll lose them.

• Like 2

FrostByte

Hmm...I figured Luke had already given you a sneak preview of his version to use with your new tv.  

Edited by FrostByte

FrostByte

@@FrostByte, yes I understand that.  But browsing the in-app library clearly looks downscaled on a UHD TV.  Whereas all the typical samsung apps are ran at UHD resolution and don't look pixelated/downscaled as the emby app did.  I realize it could still play movies of any resolution, but it would still make for a better experience if the app could scale to the native resolution of the TV, which is 2160p for the majority of tizen equipped TVs.

Strange, according to the Samsung developers forum the smarthub on J series tvs is still running 1080p (though a firmware update could always change that like you mentioned).  The Samsung dev forum isn't exactly known for being current and to be honest I haven't been there in awhile to check the K series.  Thanks for the info

Edited by FrostByte

CBers

Hmm...I figured Luke had already given you a sneak preview of his version to use with your new tv.

No.

He said it just needs bundling into an app, but still waiting.

Hisma

Strange, according to the Samsung developers forum the smarthub on J series tvs is still running 1080p (though a firmware update could always change that like you mentioned). The Samsung dev forum isn't exactly known for being current and to be honest I haven't been there in awhile to check the K series. Thanks for the info

Well I can say without a doubt, when I bring up the smart hub and browse apps in my Samsung blu ray player vs TV, I can clearly tell the difference in resolution. And when I tested the Emby app in my smart TV, compared to other smart hub apps, and compared to when I run Emby theater at UHD in my HTPC, the downgraded resolution is very noticeable.

Just a thought. I'm also on a 2014 H series UHD TV.

• Like 1

Hisma

Just confirmed to be sure, and when I hit the "info" button on my TV when I play UHD content on my tizen netflix app, the TV does not pause to change resolution.  It just spins the video right up.  In fact, this is the case with all content, from 480p all the way to 2160p.  So the app runs at UHD resolution, and any and all content gets automatically upscaled to 2160p by the TV, unless it is native UHD already.  

The TV is going to upscale to its native resolution regardless, so it makes sense to have it running at native res as often as possible, as that is how it will look best.  I am honestly surprised this hasn't been noted by anyone yet as of late.  I even remember mentioning it to chess dragon in the original samsung thread, and he mentioned (understandably) that the app has to be written to support the "lowest common deominator", as most smarthub users weren't using UHD TVs.  However that was a couple years ago, and I don't believe any J series and up TVs that use tizen are non-UHD.  So now's the time to go UHD!

Edited by Hisma

FrostByte

The developers are still going to be bound by what the SDK allows them to use and if they ever want it to get approved by Samsung and on the store.  The last time I checked that was 1080p even for all models, that may have changed though.  It all depends on whose Tizen version of the app they go with also I guess

Edited by FrostByte

johnlo317

Just confirmed to be sure, and when I hit the "info" button on my TV when I play UHD content on my tizen netflix app, the TV does not pause to change resolution. It just spins the video right up. In fact, this is the case with all content, from 480p all the way to 2160p. So the app runs at UHD resolution, and any and all content gets automatically upscaled to 2160p by the TV, unless it is native UHD already.

The TV is going to upscale to its native resolution regardless, so it makes sense to have it running at native res as often as possible, as that is how it will look best. I am honestly surprised this hasn't been noted by anyone yet as of late. I even remember mentioning it to chess dragon in the original samsung thread, and he mentioned (understandably) that the app has to be written to support the "lowest common deominator", as most smarthub users weren't using UHD TVs. However that was a couple years ago, and I don't believe any J series and up TVs that use tizen are non-UHD. So now's the time to go UHD!

I have a J series and my tv is Non-UHD

• Like 1

FrostByte

I have a J series and my tv is Non-UHD

There are also UHD tvs where the max resolution apps within the hub can run at is FHD.  It really is a mixed bag with the different models

• 3 weeks later...
moonloop

I loved emby, however, I've had a J series since last fall, after my plasma developed a defective display. The plasma was moved to a 2nd TV room and hardly gets used. I watch the J series 99% of the time which means I use Plex...

MSattler

I loved emby, however, I've had a J series since last fall, after my plasma developed a defective display. The plasma was moved to a 2nd TV room and hardly gets used. I watch the J series 99% of the time which means I use Plex...

Even MetaMan has started development of a Tizen app.

Maybe one day...

• Like 2

spootdev

From what I'm seen of the SDK so far.......they are really pushing HTM5/CSS3/js/etc.  So, if the dev uses responsive code for everything.....the particular resolution shouldn't be that big of an issue.

In theory.

• Like 1

FrostByte

please make an own topic for the resolution problems.

Huh?  He brought up resolution issues because he started writing an app and wanted to inform people that he didn't see resolution as an issue.  Or don't you want to know the status of an app?  Converting the old app to Tizen isn't going to happen.  Sorry

• Like 1

Hisma

From what I'm seen of the SDK so far.......they are really pushing HTM5/CSS3/js/etc. So, if the dev uses responsive code for everything.....the particular resolution shouldn't be that big of an issue.

In theory.

Hope this is the case. For someone like me, I'd avoid an app simply bc I don't like the ui, no matter how "good" it is