Status of Tizen

KRA

FrostByte

@SamES  Have you looked into buying a new UHD BD player to go with your new TV?  Just looking at the table it appears the new UBD-K8500 BD player is still using the old Orsay OS.  May want to check to be sure, but there have been a couple users who loaded it on their J-series BD players and it seemed to work for the most part.  You could always take it back if it doesn't work :)

https://www.samsungdforum.com/Tizen/GetSpecData/

• Like 1

SamES

@SamES  Have you looked into buying a new UHD BD player to go with your new TV?  Just looking at the table it appears the new UBD-K8500 BD player is still using the old Orsay OS.  May want to check to be sure, but there have been a couple users who loaded it on their J-series BD players and it seemed to work for the most part.  You could always take it back if it doesn't work :)

That's a interesting option that might just work.  I'll look into it.  Thanks

SamES

@@SamES I just wanted to say thank you for all your input the the SmartHub client. I'll be sorry to lose you.

I started tinkering with the SDK for Tizen. HTML and JavaScript are the same across platforms. The first big hurdle to get over is that the Tizen file system is purely asynchronous, so you can't just request a user preference value and wait for the answer. The whole of settings and logging needs rewriting. Only then can you get the client to actually run, at which point you can start to worry about API access to actually play something, which is also totally different to SmartHub and I never even got started on that.

Thanks, I've enjoyed the ride and will miss seeing how this app develops.  It's at a stage where it works and looks great.  I always feared this day would come, but I'll definitely still follow the forum.

I've played around with a bit of asynchronous code, so I under stand the flow.  If @@Luke has anything started I'm happy to have a play and see if I can do anything useful with it.

Many thanks again for all your work, there has been a great team providing input to this app which has really made this an enjoyable journey.

• Like 1

CBers

Thanks, I've enjoyed the ride and will miss seeing how this app develops. It's at a stage where it works and looks great. I always feared this day would come, but I'll definitely still follow the forum.

You could always buy an F or H series TV!

Just saying ;)

• Like 2

SamES

Looks like I can get this 50% off with a new UHD TV, so I'll grab one at that price and let you know how it goes.

• Like 2

Just a heads up. The Emby Tizen app is now available in the store for users in the U.S. with 2015 models. We are working on resolving an issue with 2016 models, and once those are supported we'll get an announcement up. Enjoy.

• Like 4

CBers

Just a heads up. The Emby Tizen app is now available in the store for users in the U.S. with 2015 models. We are working on resolving an issue with 2016 models, and once those are supported we'll get an announcement up. Enjoy.

Only the U.S.?

Worldwide release requires some additional red tape. Once we get through the 2015 and 2016 releases, then we will look to expand beyond that.

• Like 3

Can it be sideloaded from usb like the Orsay app?  I'm not seeing it on GitHub

I don't know. I do everything the dev tools. I have not had any time to research that.

However if somebody here can find the process for manually installing a wgt build package, then we'll put it up on the website download page.

The wgt would not be limited to the U.S., only the store release would.

• Like 2

FrostByte

Well, I know how to do with the old app.  I can jump on the devforums and see if I find something for Tizen unless someone beats me to it

• Like 1

FrostByte

Ha, and the first post I found on samsungdforums says that the ability to sideload apps on 2015 TVs was taken away after a recent firmware update.  So it may depend on how quickly people update their TVs :(

• Like 1

yea but all of that requires installing the tizen SDK on your PC. nobody is going to want to do that.

FrostByte

yea but all of that requires installing the tizen SDK on your PC. nobody is going to want to do that.

I loaded the SDK for the old Orsay OS on my PC.   It's not that hard.   I would be more worried about putting my TV into developer mode.  That may void the warranty if you screw it up :)

I don't think it voids anything but the sdk is a long process the first time you're figuring out how to deploy.

• Like 2

FrostByte

Can't you just use one of those free VPN services for your mobile, make a wifi hotspot with it and voila?

Maybe @SamES will hook you up when he gets his delivered.  He's kinda nerdy :)

• Like 2

On Orsey OS you could factory reset and select a different region. Don't know if that's true of Tizen. A bit extreme.

• Like 1

SamES

Oh yeah, I will!

• Like 2

SamES

This is sounding great!  Timing couldn't be better.

FYI, 75KS9005 + UBD-K8500 = Emby bliss.  (but not as good as a Tizen solution)

@@FrostByte, great call on the UBD-K8500.   Except for some very small fonts in a few places (mostly settings) and some fonts being transparent, this seems to work as an interim solution.  Model detection is not correct but it works!

And TV is way cool...sounds like old one couldn't have died at a better time.

Edited by SamES
  • Like 2

SamES

Thanks @@Luke, this is fantastic.  Well done and much appreciated for all your Emby efforts.  Happy to test 2016 model issues.

FrostByte

Ya, I don't know why they haven't put Tizen on their new BD players yet.  Glad you got the old app semi-working until one comes out for your TV, most importantly it plays your media.

I'm jealous about that TV too :)