Status of Tizen

KRA

I cannot test it since I do not own a J Model but anybody tried to adapt the method installing Plex via USB on J Series?

Plex has a Tizen app in the Samsung store for 2015 and up TV's, no reason to sideload..

Edited by ronvp

CBers

If anyone is willing to donate 5,000 US$ to my PayPal account in order to purchase a new TV I would be willing to give it a hack.  No promises though :)

LOL :D

• Like 1

shorty1483

Plex has a Tizen app in the Samsung store for 2015 and up TV's, no reason to sideload..

I know, but I thought the sideloading method for J Series from Plex before it was in store could also work for Emby. But @@cmcg already negated.

Getting the Emby app for Tizen/Samsung, with TV tuner support would pretty much mean a almost full replacement of WMC and no HTPC/Cablebox needed..just a TV and a AVR. Nice clean installation.

Edited by ronvp

I'll donate $367 for this $40" J model if any existing Samsung dev wants to take it on: http://amzn.com/B00U9U8XSC

Their time is worth may more than a single TV though...

i would accept this and handle it personally, although it will be another month most likely before i can start on it. Level of effort should not be too dramatic - we have an app that runs, it just needs to be adjusted so that it runs well, and then packaged into a tizen app.

• Like 5

AgileHumor

Awesome!  One request would be a release on the AppStore.

I can't donate variable amounts anymore on the website,  so please email PM me an PayPal email address.

\

• Like 1

Does anyone here have a 2015 model?

I just bought this. http://www.samsung.com/es/consumer/tv-av/tv/suhd/UE65JS9500TXXC

I'll get it in a few days.

Anything i can do to help develop a tizen versión of the app in terms of trials, i'll be happy to do it but i have No knowledge of programing

Also willing to donate to make this happend

Edited by Zelig

I have a Samsung UE65JS8505 and can confirm that Emby is working by sideloading from USB, I have been using it for about a month without any major issues. Sometimes the app hangs when starting playback of a movie, but restarting the app always solves the problem. Also, selecting other than the default audio track is not working, but I think I read somewhere that this was a bug in the 0.xxx builds of the app.

Edit: did some more testing today and it seems that none of the 1.x.x builds are working. But v.0.593 is working great.

When launching Version 1.x.x the logo with the "moving dots" is showing, but after that the screen just goes grey (no server selection/ip box is showing).

Edited by deadnex

• 3 weeks later...
Rowlett

Any more progress made on this? did you get the tv @@Luke to be able to work on tizen that AgileHumor kindly offered to donate?

@@deadnex - saw on another post if you add your server address into server.js and re-zip 1.x.x/2.x.x work flawlessly...but i'm waiting out on a supported tizen app :-) 

Would like to add extra support for Tizen support, at moment really tempted to get myself one of the UE55JU7500's as they are cheap, sounds like there may be a good way to get this all working. If do get one will be more than to test new versions.

hi all, I have 2 new Samsung J series Tvs

-> UA40J6200AW

-> UA40JU6400W << this is the uhd 4k tv

Both with latest updates. So although I can't code to save myself I would be more than happy to help out and test in anyway I can

also running emby server on ubuntu

and I'm in Australia if that helps. Looking forward to getting emby back as plex for the cost hasn't been that great on these TVs.

Thanks for your time

Ray

EDIT- don't know if this video helps? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYz_jp6JLA0

Edited by Roo79x

ZenOfJazz

I cannot test it since I do not own a J Model but anybody tried to adapt the method installing Plex via USB on J Series? From what I read it seems to be able to emulate older apps? Some J models have the old 1.018 Plex app inside via emulator. But the following guide is the way to install the 2.0 Betas on the  J Models before it found his way into the Tizen store. I wrote a short adaption from Plex installation to Emby.

1. Download latest zip version of Emby App via "http://82.11.185.51/widgetlist.xml"

2. Rename the downloaded zip to "Emby.zip"

3. Create a fat32 USB Stick with the folder "userwidget" in it

4. Move "Emby.zip" into the folder "userwidget"

Structure:

USB

...userwidget

.............Emby.zip

5. Plugin USB in TV

6. Turn on TV, open SmartHub and navigate to "MyApps" -> Emby should be shown here to be installable

7. After installation, plug off USB stick

@@cmcg atm the above link with widgetlist.xml is down

@@KRA @@ZenOfJazz you two could be guinea pigs :D

ok, I will look at this this evening.  here's hoping!

If you guys can get this side-loaded on your J-Series TVs then that's great, rock on. But just to be clear, this is not a native Tizen app.

There is a compatibility layer in 2015 TV's that allowed Samsung to maintain the same app's last year while developers updated their code. 2016 TV's will not have this.

http://www.samsungdforum.com/SamsungDForum/NewsView?newsID=79&currentPage=1&selectcontents=1&searchText

• Like 2

ZenOfJazz

ok, I will look at this this evening.  here's hoping!

No Joy.

followed all the steps, but the emby app did no come up as an option to install.

:o  :unsure:  :wacko:  :o

• Like 1

yeah i tried it too, didn't show in the list/to install... i read somewhere it only comes up if your already in my apps so tried that to, tried turning tv off then back on whilst usb was in but again no joy.

Edited by Rowlett

tadzpadz wrote:If you want to install apps to tv from USB just:

1. create '
userwidget
' folder in root path of 
 and put archived app file (.
zip
, or .
wgt
) in this folder;

2. power on TV, go to smarthub, connect USB;

3. app should be installed automatically (pop-up about installation will appear on screen). After that app will be available in MyApp section.

Enjoy.

And Samsung has blocked this method in latest firmware update...

http://forum.samygo.tv/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=9234&start=20

Edited by Rowlett

ZenOfJazz

tadzpadz wrote:If you want to install apps to tv from USB just:

1. create '
userwidget
' folder in root path of 
 and put archived app file (.
zip
, or .
wgt
) in this folder;

2. power on TV, go to smarthub, connect USB;

3. app should be installed automatically (pop-up about installation will appear on screen). After that app will be available in MyApp section.

Enjoy.

And Samsung has blocked this method in latest firmware update...

http://forum.samygo.tv/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=9234&start=20

Yeah... that is really making my investment in Samsung hardware questionable...