I haven't been on the forums for a very long time and am back for a query. Since Media Browser and the rebranding to Emby I have seen Emby transform into a masterpiece and am very thankful for the teams that have put in the effort and time into this nifty set of software and different packages out there to suit peoples desires in terms of being compatible between Operating Systems and devices.
This will most undoubtedly be mentioned throughout the forums but I just somewhat do not know what to search when it comes to this.
I have looked among the different options for the NAS Servers but have not come to any conclusion as to what is better or for my needs. I also don't have much of an idea when it comes to hardware or OS and what's available.
If any users that have experimented with more than one device or OS that can actually comment on what they found better in comparison would be much appreciated. I am still interested in what users have to say about one still if that is all they managed to use.
1 - People who have experience in the different NAS devices? (QNAP, Synology, WD, Seagates, etc.)
- What components benefit what and why?
- Possibly specs or a basic rule of thumb for when it comes to picking hardware
- The gist from what I've seen really is, if I am wanting the server to transcode, I will need a decent CPU to follow suite, but if I am direct streaming or direct playing, the hard work has been taken out of it and can go for something on the lighter end?
2 - The different OS and what each ones pro's and con's are? (ASUSTOR, FreeNAS, Open Media Vault, QNAP, Synology, etc.)
- Just an OS on the whole.
- Features and ease of use.
- Can I change OS regardless of the device I end up with and could I run into problems doing this?
- Mainly where Emby shines the most in terms of being easy to set up and close to error free as a package as this is my main purpose of wanting a NAS Server. (I am aware that none of them have been under development for long so expect bugs and fixes needed)
3 - Anyone who has built a NAS Device and/or decided against a NAS and decided to build another PC for a server?
- Would it be advisable to build my own NAS or PC in terms of getting more what I want for a better price?
I currently use my PC as the server streaming to a Samsung TV with the App, from what I believe, I don't think in my scenario transcoding it taking place at all as the media plays almost instantly and my CPU/ram usage on my PC doesn't seem to increase while running the server. The TV naturally plays MP4's and the bitrate I imagine is within what the TV handles as the MP4's are around 2gig each with 1080p video and stereo output.
I would potentially would want the server to do a few other things such as a monthly backup of mine and my GF's PC's and possibly have remote access.
Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance for anyone that can be of assistance and has some input on the subject.