Theme: blue neon night

speechles

What I'm asking is, have you actually seen this happen?  Because I can direct play that item just fine on my Roku Premiere hooked to a 1080p TV.

This makes sense to me as the Roku itself should be managing final display scaling - just like it would if you fed it a 720p stream or a 1080 one on a 720 set.

I am doing what roku suggests to do, until they suggest doing something different. The roku can upscale, but not downscale.

to end the debate: http://distribution.bbb3d.renderfarming.net/video/mp4/bbb_sunflower_2160p_30fps_normal.mp4

Gonna grab this and throw her through the ol' roku ultra using "force directstream" on my 1080p TV. If this works, you are right and I can comment some code. Good to know either way. The best way to tell is do it yourself and find out. Gonna do that. :D

Edited by speechles

mikeraburn

I do have a batch of x265 that I had to "force directstream".

I didn't post the "issue" last week because it was a "me Problem".

I will crank the bitrate to 70 and see if that stops those from transcoding.

That is all dependent on if I can freaking remember what they were!

I still say 4K is a passing fad..... get off my lawn

mikeraburn

@speechless

You and I tried that Bunny a few months make on my Ultra, it direct played, if I recall correctly.

1080p / 4K / blah blah.

It may be in the thread a few pages back.

2fa60aee8c2150fb8599c71e3fb743da.jpg

This is kinda sweet. The roku premier, premier+, and ultra all support downsample UHD. It seems it uses a different video buffer when doing this, as my screen shot lacks the video playing in it. Plays UHD 10bit HDR @ both 30/60fps downsampled to 1080p 8bit 30/60fps all by itself. Man I love the roku ultra.

I will revert that resolution change based on canplay4k(). @@ebr thanks

Edited by speechles

I do have a batch of x265 that I had to "force directstream".

I didn't post the "issue" last week because it was a "me Problem".

I will crank the bitrate to 70 and see if that stops those from transcoding.

That is all dependent on if I can freaking remember what they were!

I still say 4K is a passing fad..... get off my lawn

Haw..

It may have been the bitrate. I never changed any of the logic for hevc/4k except the change to resolution which I am going to revert.

Expect a new version later on today.. stay tuned.. heh

I expect 4k to go straight to 8k pretty soon. As soon as the japanese figure out the requirements for content distributors and work out all the kinks. By then we may have foldable flatscreens, with a separate logic box. Instead of the power supply and circuitry all inside the panel. Then when you buy your next 320 inch 8k TV it can fold up and fit inside your trunk to easily transport home. Need OLED to keep this folding from damage pixels so HDR 20bit will be included in these. Meet George Jetson and his roku of the future.

Edited by speechles

mikeraburn

Correction

It was the Roku 4...

@speechless

You and I tried that Bunny a few months make on my Ultra, it direct played, if I recall correctly.

1080p / 4K / blah blah.

mikeraburn

"Haw..

It may have been the bitrate. I never changed any of the logic for hevc/4k except the change to resolution which I am going to revert.

Expect a new version later on today.. stay tuned.. heh"

YES,

I did day this was a week ago or so.

Edited by mikeraburn

Correction

It was the Roku 4...

@speechless

1080p / 4K / blah blah.

We may have, my memory of that is somewhat hazy. I do remember trying the level 5.2 in h264 and it failed to play on your roku4. That was the big buck bunny. Not sure if we ever tried a true 4k/UHD hevc buck bunny at 60fps to see if it would downscale to 1080 on the fly natively. Can mark that off the checklist though, it is doing this.

Here is another website with sample videos:

http://jell.yfish.us/

Try the high bitrate HEVC and HEVC 10-bit files. I downloaded the 70mbit hevc file and could play it (this is why I bumped the max to 70)...but I never downloaded nor tried 80,90,100 and upwards. I only have ethernet, not gigabit, so can only test up to the theoretical maximum of 100Mbit. I will download and try the 80,90 and 90 10bit. If these can "force directstream" without stuttering it is a good sign. Not sure where to stop at for bitrate so testing is required for sure to go higher than 70. :^)

Anyone with a roku premier\ultra can try these higher bitrate files from the website above. How high can you go before the device chokes?

EDIT:

Found where to look:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/24151-theme-blue-neon-night/page-9

We discussed it in relation to your 4k TV. I thought all along you had a 4k TV, do you? I only have a 1080p TV and the roku ultra is directly playing the 4k stream at 60fps for me (force directstream) and downscale to 1080p, all at the same time. If I use auto-detect it will try to transcode. This is the change I am going to revert. (thx ebr)

Edited by speechles

Waldonnis

Try the high bitrate HEVC and HEVC 10-bit files. I downloaded the 70mbit hevc file and could play it (this is why I bumped the max to 70)...but I never downloaded nor tried 80,90,100 and upwards. I only have ethernet, not gigabit, so can only test up to the theoretical maximum of 100Mbit. I will download and try the 80,90 and 90 10bit. If these can "force directstream" without stuttering it is a good sign. Not sure where to stop at for bitrate so testing is required for sure to go higher than 70. :^)

The max bitrate allowed by the UHD Blu-Ray spec is 128Mbit (or 108Mbit for non triple-layer discs), but since AACS 2.0 hasn't been cracked, finding a straight copy from a disc is like finding a unicorn (most of the shady-sourced 4k content that I've seen seems to be mostly upscaled 1080p)  :P  Even Netflix's 4k bitrates seem to cap out around 60Mbit or so, so 70 is probably fine (especially since the wired port is 100Mbit, per the specs).  Not sure why they didn't just go 1Gb on that, but it's likely SoC/cost-related.

• Like 1

I do NOT have a 4K tv.

My name is mud. *blush* :)

Edited by speechles

mikeraburn

Bit rates

So I have this and it will not auto detect direct play

Its the 1042 kbps, correct?

It shouldn't be??

I have the settings max at 70 mbps on all choices

No biggie, this is just me trying to understand.

A question,

So if you allow the user to increase the quality settings to over 100 mbps, how would that work?

Isn't the nic on the Rokus all maxed @ 100mbps?

I got schooled on this when my internet service was increased to 200 mbps down and my 3 year old laptop nic was maxed at 100 mbps where as my six year old server nic was infact a gigabit.

Video

CodecHEVC
ProfileMain
Level93
Resolution1280x720
Aspect ratio16:9
AnamorphicNo
InterlacedNo
Framerate23.97602
Bitrate1042 kbps
Pixel formatyuv420p
Ref frames1

Audio

Languageeng
CodecAAC
ProfileLC
Layoutstereo
Channels2 ch
Sample rate48000 Hz
DefaultYes

I tried to scroll back and find any info on this, I have been noticing I'm getting duplicate entries from my users via the server dashboard. One user is presented logged in from the most recent version they are on of blue neon, 4.02 which displays their current activity correctly and fine. Then I also have their user logged in on 3.31 of blue neon with no activity.

Edited by BAS

I tried to scroll back and find any info on this, I have been noticing I'm getting duplicate entries from my users via the server dashboard. One user is presented logged in from the most recent version they are on of blue neon, 4.02 which displays their current activity correctly and fine. Then I also have their user logged in on 3.31 of blue neon with no activity.

What an interesting bug. The name in the capabilities profile was "Roku" in the http parameters. The name of the app sent in the http headers though, is "Roku BN". This disparity was confusing the server.

Apologies for the issue, a new version will be uploaded today.. Stay tuned. :)

@@ebr

Check the "Name" you send in the capabilities profile. It is supposed to match the "Client" part of the authorization header. If they are different this is what is confusing the server and making it think multiple apps are active at the same time. You still have no icon (missing AppIconUrl in your authorization headers) showing for the app in active devices, but you know this.

kAOkhjR.png

Both of these are being created by the new beta app, notice the lack of SupportsRemoteControl. This is how I can tell. It is assume it is BlueNeon because the capabilities profile "Name" hasn't been changed from "Roku" in the new beta and replaced with "Roku SG". An easy fix, sharing is caring. ^__^

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

New Version: 4.03
* fix active devices display
* fix 4k downscale
* fix video player fallback resume point

The active devices tab will now only report the one app/device as active. Reverted the 4k downscale since the roku can natively handle this on its own on-the-fly. Changed how last position is reported in the video player so that when transcoding fallback occurs, it resumes exactly at the moment the video player encountered the error. This makes it seamless when the videoplayer has an error and it switches from direct to transcoding.

Updated all links in first post, may the "force" be with you, always. Any issues/suggestions/deaththreats feel free to post them here. ;)

• Like 3

speechles, sorry for late reply, I've been busy... you  know, life and stuff. However, just wanted to report that I can now use the BN app on my Roku TV. Thanks for getting that fixed!!!!!!

speechles, sorry for late reply, I've been busy... you know, life and stuff. However, just wanted to report that I can now use the BN app on my Roku TV. Thanks for getting that fixed!!!!!!

Yeah, sorry TCL chose to use silly symbols in their device name. This is the entire reason for shift away from use "Roku" as client name to masquerade as the official app and share its device profile. Now it uses "Roku BN" to identify itself, creates its own device profile (devices tab on server dashboard), has its own unique icon (in active devices), and sanitizes the silly symbols from device names. This goes a long way to help unconfuse the server (and emby server admins :) ) Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

New Version: v4.04

* fix OSD

4fcc54199f165ae1a4d1c3fcf99d6e5d.jpg

6a504e43c3f333cb06f7885f2db45a62.jpg

9c5a955b1a42107cd18390d22ec79214.jpg

No longer are things cut off on the OSD. Even had room to add some things not there before.

Updated all links in first post.

• Like 3

TomTiddler

@@speechles, a couple of questions/issues if u don't mind --

I'm running Blu Neon 4.04 (full) and having some transcode  issues. The library in question contains .mkv rips of BluRays, all done with CloneBD. They're all H264, 1920x1080. Audio is either AAC or AC3 all 5.1 channels. If I have auto detection set, these always transcode. I should mention I've got a 1Gbit Ethernet setup, library is on a Windows server (WHS2011).

If I set "Force DirectStream", everything plays fine, server shows I'm doing PlayDirect. Problem is when I leave the app and then go back in, the play method has been reset to AutoDetect, even though I have "ResetPlayMethod" set to NO.

The settings I've changed from default are

"ResetPlayMethod:  NO"

"MaxRelFrames: 16"

"H264 Max Transcode Level: 51"

"Max Framerate: 61"

"Local Quality: 30Mbps"   I tried 50, but it made no difference - player is a Roku 3

An example is "2 Guns", using "Auto detect" the Server screen shows "Transcoding (30Mbps) ts h264 aac" under the preview screen, the attached file shows the "Media information for that movie from the Emby library display.

Any thoughts?

post-2594-0-30488900-1485970219_thumb.png

@@TomTiddler

It is the bitrate causing the transcode, the video bitrate is 33,385. If you set the maximum bitrate to 40mbit it should direct play.

Keep in mind, you can always "Force Directstream" from the "more ..." menu found on any playable items detail screen. This will attempt to direct play without asking the server if it is compatible. If the video player encounters an error in the stream the app will fallback to 'force transcoding' on it's own. The video player is coded to fallback when video errors are found, and switches on-the-fly from direct to transcoding. If you change the "Fallback retries" to higher than 1, It will also try to work through transcode errors and restart the transcode session to work through them.

EDIT: I see in another thread you mention these have no runtime. This will induce transcoding. The roku video player needs to know the length for the hls manifest to think it is not live streaming. In the absense of runtime you can only adjust the playback as far as the buffer has captured. You also cannot fast forward past the "realtime" spot where it is presently playing. This is because when the roku is fed a runtime of 0 it assumes it is a live stream.

EDIT2: Now I see it, there it is. A roku3 cannot play AAC 5.1. This is the first audio track in your rip. For this to work directly, you would need to put a 2 channel AAC track first, and then AAC or AC3 in 5.1 as later tracks. This is the true reason for it transcoding on you. If you had a roku premier or better, these devices support AAC in 5.1. Using "Force Directstream" should let your video play directly, but at the cost of no sound heard, just silence. So yeah, keep in mind it is there, but it can only work with what the device is truly capable of.

Problem is when I leave the app and then go back in, the play method has been reset to AutoDetect

Yeah, this is by design. This is so if someone does leave the playmethod on something forever and forgets they have. They left it on "Force Transcoding" for example. I am the one hearing their complaints when things play poorly and always transcode. So that setting only affects the current session while the app is open. Once you change it from autodetect it wont change it, but each app start it will set it back to autodetect. I apologize again...

Also, there are some AAC 5.1 streams that play on a roku3. I have a roku3 and a roku ultra so I can see the difference myself. I have not found a reliable way to detect if it is really bitrate or what it is that allows a roku3 to play AAC 5.1 when it says in [audio decode info] AAC: 2:0:0:1 (use device info button in app to see this) the roku3 cannot play them. It is something in the AAC 5.1 where the roku3 can downsample this on the fly to 2.0. If you had an AVR hooked up that reported what the audio was you would see this. So you will have to adjust this on your own until I can smarten up the autodetect. :)

Edited by speechles

TomTiddler

You're a tireless genius!

I'm not sure I completely understand the "AAC 2.0 first, AAC 5.1 as a later track" comment. How will this help?

No need to apologize for the reset behavior, I totally get it! Now if I could just explain to the "trouble & strife" life would be perfect.

I really don't want to watch my movies with 2 channel sound, if I force Directstream, will it play AAC 5.1? does it help if I use optical out, rather than HDMI?

mediacowboy

Okay I'm stuck. I got home tonight and when I try to launch the app it launches and then trys to log me in and then closes right back to the Roku home screen. I have rebooted the emby server and both the beta and official Roku client work. I did delete the app, restart and reload multiple time with no change. Tried even a different user. Any other ideas?

This is on a Roku 3.

Blue neon 4.0 build 4

Server 3.1.5.0

Roku 7.5.0 build 4099-04

Edited by mediacowboy

@@mediacowboy have you ever used developer mode on the roku? Sideloaded a zip this way?

If yes (hopefully yes) you can: telnet <ip of roku> 8085

Then sideload the zip and you should see output of the error in telnet logs.

If no telnet, use a web browser, go to: <ip of roku here>:8085

Then sideload the zip.

Edited by speechles

mediacowboy

Yep I have done this many times before. I will do it tomorrow or Friday as it was a long day at work and going to bed early. I'll report back as soon as possible.