Emby Theater

Luke

Jdiesel

I have a rather large movie and tv collection (a few thousand dvds and blu-rays and too many episodes of various series to count), so the current problem I have is scrolling quickly through my content to get to where I want to go (it takes a long time to get to Z).  I appreciate the new search feature because if I have a specific movie in mind I can get to it more quickly, but I would appreciate the ability to use remote control keyboard letters to search within movies or TV (I use both a harmony remote and a mini keyboard in my home theater).  It would be very helpful to simply type in the name of the show I want to watch with the external mini keyboard to go directly to it or type just M and instantly move to movies that start with M within the movie section.  I mostly use new releases or genres or timeline category shortcuts to more easily navigate because scrolling through my full movie collection takes way too much time right now. 

This would be a nice feature, however in the short term maybe just the ability to cycle from the first item in the list to the last item (Go from A-->Z and Z-->A) would speed up browsing. 

I have used MediaBrowser for many years to play back movies and television shows on my HTPCs.  I had various problems with Windows Media Center and MediaBrowser working together smoothly for the duration (for example, external programs launching and closing properly), so I am thrilled with an all-in-one approach outside WMC (madVR still won't consistently exit properly and go back to MB Classic and WMC no matter how many different ways I've tried to get it to work).  I really like the idea of using the internal player within MBT full-time and not having to deal with external players at all (TMT or madVR).

I've used MBT since it was available as an alpha, so I have some feedback to offer for what it may be worth.

I really enjoy the graphics layout on various screens.  It looks fantastic.   I also appreciate the number of different ways I can access various content on the home screen (genres, timelines, collections, plus Movies andTV shortcuts, and latest movies).  I use the "New Releases" shortcut in the Movies section quite frequently (though I would like the ability to organize New Releases alphabetically).  I also like the "In Progress" category within TV shows to quickly get to what I'm currently watching.

I have a rather large movie and tv collection (a few thousand dvds and blu-rays and too many episodes of various series to count), so the current problem I have is scrolling quickly through my content to get to where I want to go (it takes a long time to get to Z).  I appreciate the new search feature because if I have a specific movie in mind I can get to it more quickly, but I would appreciate the ability to use remote control keyboard letters to search within movies or TV (I use both a harmony remote and a mini keyboard in my home theater).  It would be very helpful to simply type in the name of the show I want to watch with the external mini keyboard to go directly to it or type just M and instantly move to movies that start with M within the movie section.  I mostly use new releases or genres or timeline category shortcuts to more easily navigate because scrolling through my full movie collection takes way too much time right now. 

I'm sure this is on the road map, but I would like to be able to default to the newest unwatched episode when I go into a specific TV season instead of defaulting to episode 1.   Also, the overview screen in the TV section looks very nice, but I would prefer to go straight into seasons as the default without the extra click required if possible.  Finally, I would like the ability to not have "watched" or "new" indicators displayed over the movie covers and to not have the number of new episodes listed over my TV covers.  I have always turned off indicators where possibile in MediaBrowser because I really like clean looks without any extra indicators on top of covers.  I recognize that's my preference and that others may view it differently.  I'd just like the option to turn it off.

MBT really does look nice and is without question my preferred method of watching content on my HTPC.  I understand MBT is currently in alpha stage so it is constantly evolving and getting better and better.  It is already very good.  Truly well done!  I am really looking forward to seeing what improvements will be made between now, the beta releases, and the official release. 

Edited by KPH123

that is for the server. MBT has it's own client-side cache which is currently not configurable.

audiounit

Hi everyone first post, love the MBT Classic and Server good work.

Any chance of modding the first post with the date beside the download link so we know when a new build has been released without going through the thread cheers.

swhitmore

Hi everyone first post, love the MBT Classic and Server good work.

Any chance of modding the first post with the date beside the download link so we know when a new build has been released without going through the thread cheers.

The software will auto update itself though.

The next build will rework the bottom footer a little to improve the spacing and present more information.

52ed22c8424bb_Untitled.png

52ed22d09e045_Untitled1.png

• Like 5

This would be a nice feature, however in the short term maybe just the ability to cycle from the first item in the list to the last item (Go from A-->Z and Z-->A) would speed up browsing. 

I agree.  The ability to go either direction a-z or z-a would be a nice feature if possible.

Edited by KPH123

52ed22d09e045_Untitled1.png

Luke, great job overall!  MBT is exactly what I have wanted from MediaBrowser for a long time.  Thank you for allowing the general community to have access to MBT in its alpha stage.  I genuinely appreciate your hard work!

The new search function certainly helps save time, especially if I am looking for a specific movie.  It has improved MBT for those of us who have large collections and are looking for specific movies.  I will definitely use it. 

Over the long run, if possible, I would also like to be able to type in M on an remote control keyboard (or click on a number on the harmony remote to do the same) and move directly to movies that start with M within that same category screen instead of moving to a new search screen.  For example, if I type in M in the "All Movies" screen, then MBT would move straight to the movie "M" without ever leaving the 2 row "All Movies" screen just as if I were doing it now by scrolling right from A until I get to M.  It would make it easier to browse large movie collections without always starting at the beginning.

Again, thanks!

Edited by KPH123
  • Like 3

ernstgot

Luke, great job overall!  MBT is exactly what I have wanted from MediaBrowser for a long time.  Thank you for allowing the general community to have access to MBT in its alpha stage.  I genuinely appreciate your hard work!

The new search function certainly helps save time, especially if I am looking for a specific movie.  It has improved MBT for those of us who have large collections and are looking for specific movies.  I will definitely use it. 

Over the long run, if possible, I would also like to be able to type in M on an remote control keyboard (or click on a number on the harmony remote to do the same) and move directly to movies that start with M within that same category screen instead of moving to a new search screen.  For example, if I type in M in the "All Movies" screen, then MBT would move straight to the movie "M" without ever leaving the 2 row "All Movies" screen just as if I were doing it now by scrolling right from A until I get to M.  It would make it easier to browse large movie collections without always starting at the beginning.

Again, thanks!

I use that function all the time on MBC and it works wonders.  However I personally would love to see how live TV is coming along.  :)

audiounit

The software will auto update itself though.

Ok cool, mine wasn't autoupdating initially and i was having to update manually.  I'll leave it to update itself after the next build and see if it's still a problem on my machine.  Cheers

swhitmore

Ok cool, mine wasn't autoupdating initially and i was having to update manually.  I'll leave it to update itself after the next build and see if it's still a problem on my machine.  Cheers

Just check what update level you have set it to (dev, release, etc.)

I have a rather large movie and tv collection (a few thousand dvds and blu-rays and too many episodes of various series to count), so the current problem I have is scrolling quickly through my content to get to where I want to go (it takes a long time to get to Z).  I appreciate the new search feature because if I have a specific movie in mind I can get to it more quickly, but I would appreciate the ability to use remote control keyboard letters to search within movies or TV (I use both a harmony remote and a mini keyboard in my home theater).

There seems to be a lot of demand for this function.

I'm just about to do some work on cleaning up & enhancing remotes (key) management and I thought I would look at this function too.

The functionality I was thinking of supporting

1. infinite scroll - lets you scroll backwards from a->z

2. One tap keyboard searching forward - go to the next item where the first letter of the first word that matches the key pressed (ignore 'the', 'a', etc)

3. Only allow a-z & 0-9

(I can already think of a bunch of reasons why this is hard to do in our current code base, but I will have a look anyway)

Opinions ?

Ideas ?

• Like 3

Jdiesel

I'm just about to do some work on cleaning up & enhancing remotes (key) management and I thought I would look at this function too.

2. One tap keyboard searching forward - go to the next item where the first letter of the first word that matches the key pressed (ignore 'the', 'a', etc)

3. Only allow a-z & 0-9

(I can already think of a bunch of reasons why this is hard to do in our current code base, but I will have a look anyway)

Opinions ?

Ideas ?

Thanks for looking into this Shaun. This would make MBT much more user friendly. I have nothing to add.

Redshirt

3. Only allow a-z & 0-9

Opinions ?

Ideas ?

I'm on the fence with infinite scroll. I've become used to it not being there. Our scrolling is pretty fast as is. It doesn't take me long to get from point a to point b. The only thought I have in this area is that the scrolling is so fast the titles/covers are just a blur. Perhaps a helpful feature might be where when your holding the left/right direction button down and fast scrolling the letter of the current section is overlaid center screen? 

• Like 1

@@Redshirt. I like the idea of the letter being overlaid like that as well. Would be handy for me when scrolling with the keyboard, since I still can't fast scroll with my remote cause of that damn IR interference...

• Like 1

One thing I could see that would make the keyboard search difficult (judging by the way the current search feature is implemented), is that in order to function properly, MBT would have to be looking at titles on a collection basis (ie. only search items in the collection the user is currently looking at). It seems that the current search feature is bringing up titles by looking at the users entire media collection, not just the collection currently in focus (movies or tv for example). For the keyboard search to function ideally MBT would have to look at collections separately, depending on the one the user wants to search in.

With that said, I really hope this feature gets implemented, I believe it is an important feature to quickly access the media the user wants to see.

Edited by pmac

AdrianW

One other thing I miss from MB2/MBC for navigation is to use page up/page down (or the channel up/down buttons on a remote) to scroll multiple items at once instead of having to move one by one. That would be a welcome addition to MBT.

• Like 2

Using channel up/down as page up/down as Adrianw suggest sounds good to me, and also triple-tap is high on my list, as I only use a remote. So for example when I'm in the movies section I'd like the focus to jump to the first movie with the letter I type.

These two methods are basically the same as in WMC when I think about it :)

(The next one that comes to mind is skipping a quarter day in the guide when left/right is held down and skipping half a day when held down even longer, imo the navigational features in WMC are still unmatched :) )

swhitmore

I'm on the fence with infinite scroll. I've become used to it not being there. Our scrolling is pretty fast as is. It doesn't take me long to get from point a to point b. The only thought I have in this area is that the scrolling is so fast the titles/covers are just a blur. Perhaps a helpful feature might be where when your holding the left/right direction button down and fast scrolling the letter of the current section is overlaid center screen? 

I love this idea. It reminds me of the scrolling overlay when moving through the WMC TV guide. That is a really sexy looking animation.

SmallTVTurboScroll.png

• Like 1