Emby Theater

Luke

@@Ghostm

Media browser already supports commands that allow one client to instruct another to navigate to media, play it, and control playback (play/pause/skip/etc).

Start up MBT, then go to the web client, select some media and then click on "Remote" instead of "Play". You should be able to choose MBT from the list and MBT will start playing the media. I am not sure how much is implemented in the iOS and Android clients, but it works fine with the WP app.

This is something any client can implement, and isn't just an MBT feature. There is some documentation if you are interested.

There isn't any direct remote control API yet though.

Edited by Aphid

@Ghostm

My intention is certainly to go along way down the path you are requesting. It might take a little time so let me address a number of your ideas and concerns

Support ipad/android full service remotes. This breaks down into 2 main groups

(1) remotes that support many different apps, have a sophisticated display, support many commands and mimic IR remote interface and  communicate to the windows app via emulating the keyboard/IR interface. There are a lot of these, some are very good, http://www.unifiedremote.com/ is an example.

(2) remotes that are a full blown implementation of XBMC/MBT/etc and are specifically designed for a single app. The XBMC IOS app is a fantastic example of this type. It talks to XBMC via a specific  api and can control 100% of the features. The MB3 IPhone client can be considered one of these apps.

There is a lot of flexibility in how you control the MBT client - you can control it via the keyboard, an IR Remote and the Server Channel Remote interface. We hope to be able to offer then same level of command execution to all the input methods and to extend the command functions available to allow complete control of all aspects of MBT (it might take a little while though), but remember the server remote api serves all clients, not just MBT

So the ultimate aim is to give application developers,remote developers and end users the abilities and facilities they needs create and customise  whatever level of remote command mangement they want or need.

What about the short term dev path

a. We should be able to normalize command support so all input methods offer the same commands

b. Extend the range of commands - i.e full screen toggle, goto a specific page, select/rotate subtitles, shuffle tracks, tv guide etc

e. KeyCode mapping customization

We need to do it in a way that will encourage developers (remotes, clients, etc) to make full use of the command set to build best user experience that is possible.

My view for what it is worth, is that I don't want 20 different iphone remotes apps to control my MB3, XMBC, Apple TV, Roku, Astone, WMC, Sonos, PlayStation, so I go for version (2) above that has the same key layout for all apps but delivers commands those apps in the appropriate method for each  (keystroke emulation, api, tcp/ip, web api, etc). What I want in the short term, is more control, more commands, but that is just my view, we need to support all the different use cases

Edited by Shaun
  • Like 1

AdrianW

Something strange seems to happen with some of my single season TV shows. (I have all my episodes inside "Season n" folders)

In MBT when I enter some single season shows I get the sections: Overview, Episodes, Cast, Similar, Gallery across the top - but usually I get Overview, Seasons, Cast, Similar, Gallery.

If I enter into "Episodes", I get a horizontally scrolling list of large episode thumbs with details below. 

If I enter into "Seasons" and then a specific season, I get the usual vertical list of small episode thumbs with the large thumb and details on the left.

What would cause the different views - I can't see any difference between between the contents of a show/season that displays one way with one that displays the other. 

(Note: all local metadata saved along with the videos).

Edited by AdrianW

Koleckai Silvestri

Just a quirk due to the flattening of single season shows. Hopefully in the future, it will inherit the specified view as I prefer the list view as well.

@@Ghostm

Media browser already supports commands that allow one client to instruct another to navigate to media, play it, and control playback (play/pause/skip/etc).

Start up MBT, then go to the web client, select some media and then click on "Remote" instead of "Play". You should be able to choose MBT from the list and MBT will start playing the media. I am not sure how much is implemented in the iOS and Android clients, but it works fine with the WP app.

This is something any client can implement, and isn't just an MBT feature. There is some documentation if you are interested.

There isn't any direct remote control API yet though.

Yea the bolded was basically what i was requesting, I am using the android app and its very nice (I am switching to apple devices soon though) , like xbmc app i can launch movies , stop movies, fast forward rewind, but what i cant do is remote control it like i could with a plain old remote and that I can do with xbmc app. 

I cant navigate on screen (up, down, left, right) i cant bring up the osd on screen, that type of remote control i would like to see implemented in the apps itself to streamline and make it easier for the user (along with clear api documentation so other applications can implement these commands, roomie remote basically will support your product as long as api is available and its very popular with us avsforum users), xbmc did a great job with that app, i left xbmc and prefer mb3 because of the simplified approach to accomplish what i want, the one thing that is not the case for is the simplicity of controlling my htpc. A remote control feature for htpc clients included in the apps would solve this issue. As mentioned with my friend one thing that impressed him as someone who does not even use htpc is how with xbmc all he had do was download the app and could control every aspect of it on screen (any command imaginable). Its just what I would like to see from mbt, i love what you did so far with launching of movies, and its great, I just want to see more of a remote control function added. 

@Ghostm

My intention is certainly to go along way down the path you are requesting. It might take a little time so let me address a number of your ideas and concerns

Support ipad/android full service remotes. This breaks down into 2 main groups

(1) remotes that support many different apps, have a sophisticated display, support many commands and mimic IR remote interface and  communicate to the windows app via emulating the keyboard/IR interface. There are a lot of these, some are very good, http://www.unifiedremote.com/ is an example.

(2) remotes that are a full blown implementation of XBMC/MBT/etc and are specifically designed for a single app. The XBMC IOS app is a fantastic example of this type. It talks to XBMC via a specific  api and can control 100% of the features. The MB3 IPhone client can be considered one of these apps.

There is a lot of flexibility in how you control the MBT client - you can control it via the keyboard, an IR Remote and the Server Channel Remote interface. We hope to be able to offer then same level of command execution to all the input methods and to extend the command functions available to allow complete control of all aspects of MBT (it might take a little while though), but remember the server remote api serves all clients, not just MBT

So the ultimate aim is to give application developers,remote developers and end users the abilities and facilities they needs create and customise  whatever level of remote command mangement they want or need.

What about the short term dev path

a. We should be able to normalize command support so all input methods offer the same commands

b. Extend the range of commands - i.e full screen toggle, goto a specific page, select/rotate subtitles, shuffle tracks, tv guide etc

e. KeyCode mapping customization

We need to do it in a way that will encourage developers (remotes, clients, etc) to make full use of the command set to build best user experience that is possible.

My view for what it is worth, is that I don't want 20 different iphone remotes apps to control my MB3, XMBC, Apple TV, Roku, Astone, WMC, Sonos, PlayStation, so I go for version (2) above that has the same key layout for all apps but delivers commands those apps in the appropriate method for each  (keystroke emulation, api, tcp/ip, web api, etc). What I want in the short term, is more control, more commands, but that is just my view, we need to support all the different use cases

I agree with your viewpoint as well about option number 2.

The bolded is basically what I would like to see and what im hoping for, i mainly just use mbt, but htpc clients are the most difficult imo to remote control and turns off some general users. I dont know how xmbc works and how it would be different since it does not use the server client method, maybe plex would be a better place to look, but from my experience with xbmc is that the remote control portion of their apps works on all platforms (apple tv, linux) and it basically is just one app to control everything you would ever need on any platform, they streamlined the app to control xbmc on any platform. I love that it includes wake on lan feature as well. Obviously i dont think some devices like apple tv need to use a wake on lan feature, but non the less xbmc included it in their app design for htpc users. I know thats a heavily discussed feature in the other forums since its basically a power button for us htpc users. I haven't seen the apps offer that simple functionality yet despite the requests.

To be honest for now id be extremely happy with a few simple remote control navigation options essential to media browser (especially mbt)......(up, down, left, right) the ability to go "Back", and an osd button, along with a wake on lan feature. The rest would simply be a bonus as the essentials are 99% right there. 

But basically i agree with your view and thats what I would like to see with option number 2, and was just hoping that it was being looked at since I have not seen any real discussion about it from the developers. I also agree about making it easy for developers, then they could easily add all the functionality easily to their apps (the android app, ios app, windows app) and even 3rd party apps like roomie remote who will add as many commands for us as you openly make available to them. 

Edited by Ghostm

Koleckai Silvestri

Yea the bolded was basically what i was requesting, I am using the android app and its very nice (I am switching to apple devices soon though) , like xbmc app i can launch movies , stop movies, fast forward rewind, but what i cant do is remote control it like i could with a plain old remote and that I can do with xbmc app. 

I cant navigate on screen (up, down, left, right) i cant bring up the osd on screen, that type of remote control i would like to see implemented in the apps itself to streamline and make it easier for the user (along with clear api documentation so other applications can implement these commands, roomie remote basically will support your product as long as api is available and its very popular with us avsforum users), xbmc did a great job with that app, i left xbmc and prefer mb3 because of the simplified approach to accomplish what i want, the one thing that is not the case for is the simplicity of controlling my htpc. A remote control feature for htpc clients included in the apps would solve this issue. As mentioned with my friend one thing that impressed him as someone who does not even use htpc is how with xbmc all he had do was download the app and could control every aspect of it on screen (any command imaginable). Its just what I would like to see from mbt, i love what you did so far with launching of movies, and its great, I just want to see more of a remote control function added. 

Most likely needs server support for best results. The mobile app would send the signal to the server and it would send it to the app.

The remote API which is built into the server can only handle a few high level commands (play item, queue playlist, etc). We can't really add remote control commands to it, because those commands are far too specific to one client or another. Even the basic four directions and enter does not make any sense to most other clients.

If we want to support emulating a remote control on a mobile device, it will only be useful if we expose the entire of MBTs command system. This would make it an MBT-specific API which the mobile clients may opt-in to supporting, but not something which is built into the server.

Redshirt

I could handle direction navigation in my client. It would be similar to how MBC handles navigation from ui element to ui element.

• Like 1

Koleckai Silvestri

Just noticed that the pause/unpause with spacebar push has been fixed. If Theater doesn't have focus, it doesn't have an effect anymore. Now, I can run video on one screen and work on the other without problems.

• Like 3

The remote API which is built into the server can only handle a few high level commands (play item, queue playlist, etc). We can't really add remote control commands to it, because those commands are far too specific to one client or another. Even the basic four directions and enter does not make any sense to most other clients.

If we want to support emulating a remote control on a mobile device, it will only be useful if we expose the entire of MBTs command system. This would make it an MBT-specific API which the mobile clients may opt-in to supporting, but not something which is built into the server.

I would be fine with this to, I am out of my element so this is just the opinion of an end user but when I thought about ways you guys could do it, I thought going through the server would be cool, but also thought of just special support for mbt clients.

I just started the htpc game about a year and half ago, and while everything that was frustrating about the setup with xbmc (for me anyway) mb3 has simplified everything and made me less scared about setting up another htpc. I used to dread thinking about setting up a 2nd xbmc htpc and redoing everything. The only realm that xbmc made this process easier was in the control area. I dont know how you guys feel about it, but the ability for an end user to install mb3, setup the server, and then feed all the clients really simplifies life for us newer htpc users. But to me the final step would be an xbmc type app where the user simply downloads an app, and the app itself can completely control the mbt system. Using a keyboard is not always practical (I did buy a 80 dollar wireless keyboard/mouse combo over christmas to operate mbt), and I have battled through my share of mce remotes along with config files and remote control mappping and I have tossed out 3 in the span of 6 months last year and it simply was not as powerful as touch screen solutions. The ability of mb apps on ios/android/windows to control mbt just would simplify the entire experience for some of us newer users.

I have quite a few friends who are xbmc users, and these people know next to nothing. They had someone setup xbmc on apple tv's or pi's or whatever, and the one common thing all of them use is the simple app to control all functions on their tv with the app. Without it i am positive the experience would fall apart for them and they wouldnt even bother. Maybe not the crowd mbt is targeting but the strength i see in mbt is the ease of use in every other aspect.

Edited by Ghostm
  • Like 1

Wayne just looking at the pictures here while im slacking at work,this is what i am basically asking for.

Would be nicer to see something like this integrated in mbt rather then having to switch apps and install additional host software, but this will do for the moment. It even has an OSD button, although im not sure if I see a wol, but thats 99% of what I would love to see included in mb apps for android/ios.  Thanks again for sharing. 

let me know if any of the command you need are not working with MediaPowerGrid - as it emulates a WMC remote, most controls should work

Koleckai Silvestri

@@Ghostm There is a workaround if you use Roccat's Powergrid app on your phone. There is a Media Browser grid available here: http://power-grid.roccat.org/en/Store/Grids/Programs/Windows/224/. I know it isn't exactly what you want and the grid may need to be updated for the latest version of MBT but it is a workaround. I've used it on my iPhone with great success.

Hopefully in the future playback and control will be more integrated into the apps or a standalone remote app will come into being.

And just to give an example in real world terms, i used the excellent android app to launch a movie (if i have guests i would prefer we all would be able to navigate on screen and choose something however which is why i would like navigation), but i launch a movie, i can play, pause stop, ect.. but then say i want to select a scene using the chapter extraction the server did, as far as i know I cannot do this and cant bring up the osd. Or say i need to go to settings, or just navigate on screen to do something like watch a trailer on the tv screen. This requires the extra use of a keyboard for me anyway and begins the juggling. 

I love the android app, it was money well spent, but i find myself just going to the keyboard instead and I really dont want to. Its much nicer using the app but it cant do certain functions. Navigation for mbt included would solve most of this. Along with an osd button of some kind. 

Edited by Ghostm
  • Like 1

@@Ghostm There is a workaround if you use Roccat's Powergrid app on your phone. There is a Media Browser grid available here: http://power-grid.roccat.org/en/Store/Grids/Programs/Windows/224/. I know it isn't exactly what you want and the grid may need to be updated for the latest version of MBT but it is a workaround. I've used it on my iPhone with great success.

Hopefully in the future playback and control will be more integrated into the apps or a standalone remote app will come into being.

I will give it a look, thanks. 

Wayne just looking at the pictures here while im slacking at work,this is what i am basically asking for.

Would be nicer to see something like this integrated in mbt rather then having to switch apps and install additional host software, but this will do for the moment. It even has an OSD button, although im not sure if I see a wol, but thats 99% of what I would love to see included in mb apps for android/ios.  Thanks again for sharing. 

Edited by Ghostm

That was some of Shaun's work.

I'm still doing some work in this area, so could all of you testers please

Give key code and remote navigation a solid thrashing and let me know if something is not right. 

(e.g I think these is still a bug with media player when the osd is up,  we lose some key strokes.)

I have logged all Input form keyboards and remotes with Debug, so if you turn on debug logging you can

see what we are catching.

• Like 1

i think the commands can be part of the generic api, we just have to make sure that clients have the ability to indicate things they don't support so that the remote control interface can adjust accordingly.

• Like 1

let me know if any of the command you need are not working with MediaPowerGrid - as it emulates a WMC remote, most controls should work

It seems to be working. In theory this is essentially what i am requesting so we can completely control mbt without needing extra keyboards or mce remotes, and have it included in the apps for ios/android/windows  phone apps so i can fully control mbt (while launching and browsing movies from those apps as well), that is basically what the xbmc app is...... what the current android and ios apps are for media browser, plus a remote control like this.

Just to show their layout, and how you can flip from your media on the phone/ipad seamlessly to the remote control when needed. This should probably be requested for the ios/android devs (redshirt) but the functionality to allow them to add commands to control mbt sounds like it needs to be added first. 

http://cdn2.cybernetnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/free-ios-xbmc-remote.jpg

Edited by Ghostm

Can the backdrop screensaver show more items?  Currently it repeats after perhaps 25 items or so?  Also be nice for the rotation on the home screen to go through more than 10 selections.

Mopar_Mudder

you can do it from the detail page. for now that's all that's been implemented.

Oh boy, 600+ movies that's not gona work. Was hoping to get everything squared away before putting MBC in, because MB2 & MBC can't live together correct?