Emby Theater

Luke

Koleckai Silvestri

The error is that the server didn't respond in enough time. This could be because the network interface on the HTPC hasn't been re-established after waking. One would think the socket would toss an error saying there is now connection. Though if you have your HTPC in a VM the system might not know there isn't a connection. Same if you have VPN running. Unfortunately, it will need programming changes to catch the error and display a retry dialog instead of failing.

Thanks for the response, dont have a vpn or virtual machine. I notice last night while testing i woke it a few times after sleep and it did not display the error.

I came home tonight again woke it, and the error was present. I will do more tests to see if i notice any sort of pattern.

Im noticing even on full pc restart mbt wants to go through setup guide  because my ethernet  is not ready for about 30 seconds after the reboot and i get that generic screen saying no server was detected, lets get started ect... . This is becoming quite frustrating, i suppose I could just enable a delay at launch but that wont help the sleep issue.

Is this a strange or rare problem on my end? I am surprised we dont see quite a few reports about this issue which makes me wonder if its something with my network adapter on my pc taking a long time to start up. Theirs nothing wrong with it, its rock solid I have no issues, it just takes time to startup from sleep or a reboot, but since i havent seen any complaints with the same issue, it makes me wonder if theirs a setting or something else i can change?

Edited by Ghostm

Koleckai Silvestri

Have you looked to see if there are driver updates for your Ethernet port? 30 seconds seems like a long time. Do you have a lot of startup items on your HTPC?

Have you tried to stop your network card from sleeping?  Go to your network adapter settings, then go to the power tab and uncheck the box that lets windows shut down your network card...

• Like 1

Koleckai Silvestri

Have you tried to stop your network card from sleeping?  Go to your network adapter settings, then go to the power tab and uncheck the box that lets windows shut down your network card...

Good tip. I had forgotton about this completely.

I might have exaggerated a bit on the 30 seconds, I counted when i got home and its around 20 seconds.

Dont have many startup items, mbt is launched and ready apparently before the network. This really just started happening and I havent touched my pc really other then to play movies. I havent even updated windows in the past few weeks (I do that manually).

Anyway I turned off allow pc to put network adapter to sleep.

Will see if that does the trick.

Does not look like turning off letting the network adapter sleep did any good, still mbt throwing out the same error after sleep.

It did appear to stop it from occurring on launch in a few tests i did, but still when the pc puts the computer to sleep after 45 minutes and when i wake it, mbt is active (Its an htpc so i never shutdown or close mbt its always open), it gives me that unhanded exception error about connecting to the remote server.

Edited by Ghostm

Did a bit more testing, my network card actually wakes up fairly quickly, i was testing through vnc, going right through the computer itself hooked up to a monitor it seems to have internet access fairly quickly.

What I am noticing is this error pops out the second i wake my pc. Before my tv even displays an image on screen it throws out unhandled exception like its a default error that is going to pop out whenever I wake my pc. 

@@Ghostm, I think I have the same issue. I never noticed it before because I run MBT from WMC and until yesterday never put my system to sleep while MBT was active. I woke it later and got the error. To be certain it was not a one off, I did some testing with short timespans in sleep mode and it didn't happen again. I decided to test it for a longer period and just woke it up just to find out I indeed got the error. I will do some more testing and post the results here (maybe a moderator can split this issue into it's own thread?)

Hey guys, I turned the theatre on today and had some interesting findings.

Audio play is very good, before it would sound as though the audio was playing under water. It was as though the movie was playing in a digital pool. But now it plays flawlessly.

But, video playback is acting weird. Audio starts when it should but the video is moving extremely slowly. Almost to the point that I didn't think video started at all.

Strange because video was flawless before.

Good news though, because mbt heater seems to be moving forward in a good direction!

Great job gang!

@@Ghostm, I think I have the same issue. I never noticed it before because I run MBT from WMC and until yesterday never put my system to sleep while MBT was active. I woke it later and got the error. To be certain it was not a one off, I did some testing with short timespans in sleep mode and it didn't happen again. I decided to test it for a longer period and just woke it up just to find out I indeed got the error. I will do some more testing and post the results here (maybe a moderator can split this issue into it's own thread?)

Yes Im noticing the same issues, if i put it to sleep and wake it say 20-30 minutes later, typically I dont have the issue, but if it sleeps for extended periods it produces that error.

Great to hear someone besides me has the issue and its not a problem with my system because i was running out of ideas what it would be on my end. 

• Like 1

I actually used to get this problem until about a month ago.  My PC never went to sleep, but the 'unhandled exception' error usually showed up if the PC was left idle for an extended period of time (typically overnight).  I'm not sure if that really helps, but I figured I'd share my experience.

Interesting thanks for the comment, hopefully the mbt is aware of the issue. So yours just went away?

Wouldnt be a big deal if its just an error, but the error closes down mbt, makes having to use a keyboard a necessity every time i wake it and not overly wife friendly. 

Koleckai Silvestri

There was a bug reported that the Windows Screensaver would cause a problem with MBT. Are any of you using a screensaver instead of blanking the monitor?

Think I will set up my laptop to try and recreate this over the weekend. We normally close MBT before setting it to hibernate when it isn't in use but I can set it up for sleep and run the theater for 48 hours.

I'm not running a screensaver and have disabled screen turn off. My system is set to go to S3 (S4 is disabled) after 30 minutes of inactivity, the problem occurs either way S3 is entered; manual (via media center remote) or due to inactivity.

I also noticed that on some occasions of this error MBT is still running, the mainmovie image and the backdrops still change and after confirming the error dialog the next error comes up stating mediabrowser.ui caused a unrecoverable error after which MBT closes. On other occasions MBT was already closed.

There was a bug reported that the Windows Screensaver would cause a problem with MBT. Are any of you using a screensaver instead of blanking the monitor?

Think I will set up my laptop to try and recreate this over the weekend. We normally close MBT before setting it to hibernate when it isn't in use but I can set it up for sleep and run the theater for 48 hours.

Im using Windows 7 x64 Ribbon Screen Saver which comes with windows.. I get zero issues with the screen saver and MBT

Edited by A8HTPC

Im using Windows 7 x64 Ribbon Screen Saver which comes with windows.. I get zero issues with the screen saver and MBT

Ya i think its a sleep idle issue, i have not noticed an issue with screen saver off or on, the error just pops up after waking from extended sleep. 

Koleckai Silvestri

Have you been able or had time to reproduce the problem yet wayne?

Just curious if it did not happen for you after sleep.

I have MBT installed on four computers and haven't experienced this yet. However MBT is not our HTPC. People just run it, watch a few things, close it, move to the web browser, etc... We only have one television in the house and it has a Roku for Media Browser.

Will set up my Laptop in the morning though and let it run for 48 hours on LAN and then 48 hours on Wireless. Waking it periodically.

Edited by Wayne Luke

I will have to try again with this latest release, but for some reason i think it might just be shutting down mbt after sleep now, before it displayed an error.

Will try again tomorrow though.

Thanks wayne!

If anyone using game browser could do me a huge favor yet though in post 471 above and check to see if you can toggle game systems in media browser theater version 3.0.5155.42825, i still cant do it and im unsure at this point if its my issue or a mb theater issue.