Vera Home Automation Plugin (Emby Vera)

chef

chef

we need someone that doesn't have vera to try it out.

chef

unplugging it won't work, because you still have an account with MiCasaVerde.

I'm thinking we put the release in the catalog, and see what happens...

But, It might anger some devs who may have to pull it again... lol...

@@BrettM are you still waiting for your vera unit? is it possible that you are our saving grace here?!?

Edited by chef

Xzener

Might be a good idea to ask for help in the Server forum. Im sure there are plenty of users without Veras.

BrettM

Sorry Chef,

I have the Vera unit and already signed up I'm only waiting on new switches to work with the vera unit then will test,the switches are due wednesday this week.

Edited by BrettM

BrettM

One quick question though?

Will I be able to use the home Automation through the Chocolate theme i.e. if I press play to watch a movie from the chocolate theme will it still work (dim the lights) or do I have to use the vera lite directly from the web client ?

If the answer is no only through the web client, can it be reworked to also work through the themes as I rarely use the web client directly I go through the chocolate theme.

Edited by BrettM

Xzener

Even mobile device... Which means your not just lazy, but so lazy you can't even get up, walk over to your switch and turn it off while watching your show.

• Like 1

BrettM

Thanks Guys that's great news! Xzener you sound like my wife, she says "remotes are only for the lazy" lol 

I have not downloaded not downloaded any updates for the Vera plugin do I need to update it at all ? I noticed a dropbox file floating around ?

• Like 1

jmedemar

I downloaded the last .dll posted on page 9 (Version=1.0.0.1121) and restarted my server. I'm still getting the error: "Unhandled exception: Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

Nothing in the VeraHomeAutomation log except: "5/18/2015 9:12:11 AM - attempting to collect Vera information..."

Let me know if you need further testing with a different version.

Edited by jmedemar

chef

thanks for the tests guys! But I think that I have finally coded the thing.

It took a long time to code warnings for people who don't have a Vera Device.

Here is the latest version, which I hope hasn't gone side ways with all the new code.

You'll have to Verify that you have a Vera Device or nothing will work.

Sample1.png

Then you'll have to restart the Server.

sample2.png

The Server Restart button is  a work in progress. It isn't perfect, but I was trying to make it easier.

Right away you'll notice that it refreshes the main page too fast, and directs you out of the plugin (Sorry about that).

It will only need to be verifies once, so there's time to fix it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46151346/SampleProject/SampleProject/bin/Debug/Vera%20Smart%20Home%20Automation.dll

It's a little rough, but it should deter non-Vera users from crashing their servers, and bothering the main Development Team. lol!

jmedemar

I tested out the new version. Seems to work as you describe. The server does not crash now until I click the "Restart" button after clicking "Verify!". Sure wish there was a way to check for a Vera device without crashing the server though.

Now for my real problem. How are you checking to see if there is a Vera on the network? I have a Vera 3 that is on my local network and working fine, but your app has never detected it. 

Edited by jmedemar

chef

The plugin is searching the MiCasaVerde servers for your IP address.

Vera 3 may be hosted on different MiCasaVerde servers.

In that case I would really like to work further with you.

If you have time whenever... We haven't meet anyone with that particular Device yet, so it would be benifitial for the plugin development.

Which UI version are you running?

Currently we are only checking for UI 5 and 7.

jmedemar

I'm running UI7 1.7.583. I can provide more info if you would like. Just let me know what you need.

• Like 1

chef

Okay Finally something really simple.

First there is a button to activate the plugin:

sample3.png

If you try to activate it you get a popup message that lays it all out (emby's gonna crash if you don't have a Vera Device!)

sample4.png

Then you restart the Server:

sample5.png

Here is the download:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46151346/SampleProject/SampleProject/bin/Debug/Vera%20Smart%20Home%20Automation.dll

If it is good enough... for now, then we'll put it back into the catalog.

I am working on Vera 3 devices, I got in touch with one of the guys from MiCasaVerde. We'll hopefully have it all figured out this week.

try to avoid asking the user to restart. instead build your plugin so that it can stop and start it's components as well as respond to configuration changes. it's not always easy for users to restart the server.

• Like 1

I apologize if this is obvious - I haven't been following this whole situation - but can't you simply query for a device on start-up and, if not found, move along and do nothing?

This design of the user having to activate the plug-in after installing it is different from every other plug-in out there and I don't see why it would be necessary.

chef

Tell me about it.

The only way to query the device subnet address is to ask the MiCasaVerde servers if they recognize the IP address which is making the request, through a reverse lookup.

But, if the IP address isn't recognized then errors happen.

I tried wrapping the request in try and catch, errors still happen, I tried to ignore the information coming back and yet still errors happen.

My main problem is that the request is currently written inside a server entry point class.

So it happens everytime the server starts.

The request has to happen incase the device rotates its IP.

What an annoyance.

Edit: is it possible that the long running task is taking to long to return IP information when there isn't any to find.

Perhaps I need a cancellation token to end the task if nothing is returned.

I bet that is the problem. By the time the server starts the IP request hasn't finished because it is still looking for the address. The plugin isn't loaded and everything crashes.

Edited by chef

jmedemar

@@jmedemar

Would you mind clicking this link and letting me know if you get a json return of your Vera information?:

https://vera-us-oem-authd12.mios.com/locator/locator/locator

The returned data is attached below.

Vera 3 UI7 1.7.583.txt

I figured out why my Vera was not discovered originally. My VPN was masking my IP, so when your plugin was searching Vera's servers for my IP, it was looking for the wrong one. Once I disabled my VPN your plugin worked perfectly.

chef

The returned data is attached below.

Vera 3 UI7 1.7.583.txt

I figured out why my Vera was not discovered originally. My VPN was masking my IP, so when your plugin was searching Vera's servers for my IP, it was looking for the wrong one. Once I disabled my VPN your plugin worked perfectly.

Would you like me to add a text box for user input when using VPN? That way you could enter your own IP?

jmedemar

Would you like me to add a text box for user input when using VPN? That way you could enter your own IP?

I think this would be a good solution.

Edited by jmedemar
  • Like 1