Vera Home Automation Plugin (Emby Vera)

chef

techywarrior

Hm, I installed the plugin and I am not getting a client list on page load or by using the refresh device list. Tried in IE11 and Chrome 41.

chef

Hm, I installed the plugin and I am not getting a client list on page load or by using the refresh device list. Tried in IE11 and Chrome 41.

That's not good. Are you logged into the devices on your network?

techywarrior

That's not good. Are you logged into the devices on your network?

Yea, first time I was just logged in on the browser so when nothing showed up I launched MBC and tried again. Same issue. Refreshed the page too after MBC was launched and tried both browsers too.

chef

I can confirm.

On internet explorer it is broken. But chrome is working for me.

The configuration XML is updating properly in IE, but the list is not being populated.

Edited by chef

techywarrior

Strange. I will try chrome again and see if it works. The old test builds used to work for me in IE and Chrome (although there was that refresh issue) so I am a little surprised with the trouble right now. I also remember seeing the browser show up in the list previously so even with MBC not running I would expect to see something in the list in Chrome.

techywarrior

Oh, I see there is an update to .786. I was using .753. Updated and it is showing the browsers in Chrome (and after a refresh, FF). Still not in IE11.

Will start up MBC a bit later and configure it.

chef

I think the function to write the html to the select list is using javascript, perhaps IE doesn't like that particular script, I should try writing it with more jQuery and see if it helps.

It would seem that IE causes a lot of issues for web developers. Googling the phrase "Javascript broken in IE" will bring up an endless list of query items. Lol!

techywarrior

Depends on the version of IE. The latest versions are pretty much in line with the other browsers. There are a still some differences/quirks but not nearly as bad as <IE9.

The nice thing about the JS libraries, like jQuery, is that they handle all the browser quirks automatically so you just write a simple jQuery code and all the browsers behave the same.

chef

After some testing, I have figured out why we are having Refresh issues, and loading issues.

When the plugin loads (not the web page, but the actual .Net code initializes) we write to the configuration Xml.

If you navigate directly to the plugin configuration page while the background code is accessing the xml, then the UI code can't access the Xml because it is in use.

There is no error shown, it just doesn't access it. You need to refresh the browser, which will access the xml and write to the UI.

After waiting a minute in Internet Explorer, and then refreshing the web page, I was able to populate the list of devices from the Xml.

This is an interesting phenomenon actually, because technically (even though it would seem the plugin UI and code behind are acting off each other), the plugin configuration UI (jQuery/JavaScript) hasn't really got any ides of what is happening in the .Net code behind it.

techywarrior, are there any sort of Javascript/jQuery codes that check to see if a file is in use before accessing it?

We should check to see if the xml is in use first (?in a timed loop?), then when it is not in use by the code behind it - read the xml.

I wonder if other devs have had this issue? I haven't see anything in the Plugin repo code to suggest they have. But, the other plugins don't access the configuration xml as much as we do.

We access it to:  read, write, confirm events, and confirm devices, both from the UI page and the .Net code behind.  

Pretty interesting.

techywarrior

Saving scenes to a device in FF doesn't work. Chrome worked.

The Plugin Tile you are using for the library (the green tile that has the MB logo and Vera on it) is pretty large for what it is/does. I see a range of image sizes for the plugins in the library from ~450px to 1920px. If you are going to keep this at 1920x1080 why not make it a JPG to reduce it's size from 240K to 80K. Only bringing it up because every time I load my plugin catalog that image is consistently the last one to load.

Just saw your note Chef while I was typing this. There is no way in JS to know if a file is readable directly. You could have the JS call .NET and then .NET could wait till the file is readable before sending the response (not sure how well that would work. I suppose it would depend on how long the file is locked for).

chef

Yes! There was a major update just now. Scene editing was a real mess, but I just fixed it.

I finally understand the difference between "[]" and "{}" and "[{}]" and therefore I finally understand JSON too.

Light-bulb!

Edited by chef

chef

Holy geez,

If you guys could update to 1.0.0.834 please do. 

Last night I was messing around with the plugin on my iPhone while I was watching a movie, to see how good the configuration was.

Lets just say I got up at six o'clock  this morning to fix a bunch of stuff I found.

The configuration saves properly now. At least from Safari on my iPhone and Chrome on my PC.

Xzener

Chef,

Can you please add a log file, or tell me how I can troubleshoot random on/off issues Im having since using your plugin. My kids have told me about it, abd I finally have witnessed it... That is why I unplugged my controller and had the server issue (have you seen that yet?). I have since uninstalled the plugin until I/we can resolve the issue.

I've removed the versions from the catalog for now just until this is resolved. Once you've worked it out just go ahead and push a new one.

chef

Yep.

I know about the on/off stuff.

@@Xzener are you transcoding to a device when the lights do the on/off thing?

It Only happens for me when I am transcoding.

I though it was because the stream gets broken into parts. So technically it raises events when one part stops and another starts.

I know where it is.

I will fix both issues later today :)

Edited by chef

fantaxp7

what firmware are you guys on for your vera? I've read bad things about the newer update. I ask because my device is weird...I can see it in my network but when I double click it I get 404 not found. But then when I strip the address down to just the IP and without the port number I can access it...I think this is why I cannot get this plugin to see my vera. But at the same time I am afraid to upgrade my firmware on the unit. 

techywarrior

what firmware are you guys on for your vera? I've read bad things about the newer update. I ask because my device is weird...I can see it in my network but when I double click it I get 404 not found. But then when I strip the address down to just the IP and without the port number I can access it...I think this is why I cannot get this plugin to see my vera. But at the same time I am afraid to upgrade my firmware on the unit. 

I am on UI5 and Chef is on UI7. UI6 was a complete disaster and should be avoided like the plague. I haven't used UI7 yet but I hear it's pretty good.

There isn't really support for the older versions (<UI5) so if you are on UI4 or something you should upgrade. But be really careful and make a backup jus tin case. I'd hate for you to have to rebuild your entire network due to an upgrade issue.

If you are on UI5 or UI7 then I am not sure why your port would be different. I don't remember there being an option in the Vera to select the port to use.

• Like 1

fantaxp7

I am on UI5 and Chef is on UI7. UI6 was a complete disaster and should be avoided like the plague. I haven't used UI7 yet but I hear it's pretty good.

There isn't really support for the older versions (<UI5) so if you are on UI4 or something you should upgrade. But be really careful and make a backup jus tin case. I'd hate for you to have to rebuild your entire network due to an upgrade issue.

If you are on UI5 or UI7 then I am not sure why your port would be different. I don't remember there being an option in the Vera to select the port to use.

Thanks techy,

I am on UI5. Perhaps updating to UI7 will help. Backing up now and will try to update. Good to know 6 was the bad one.

Thanks

chef

@@fantaxp7 Yeah strip the port number and use:

Ip_address/cmh/#dashboard

To access on Ui7

Don't use Ui6 as techy mentioned because they were testing their external severs at the time of that release and it was an absolute mess.

Also, you are correct in that click on the icon which shows up in your network devices will give a 404 error.

@@techywarrior @@Xzener and luke

I am sorry it is taking a long time to fix the null error for the plugin.

I had to narrow it down to scene info being null when the Vera is unplugged from the network.

It took along time.

Bottom line is that device info will always return from the Vera servers, but scene info is grabbed from the device itself. Just a mess.

The flashing of lights during emby playback has to do with how the original code was trying to calculate Paused and Unpaused information.

It was really hard to formulate, with only playback status (amount of ticks the movie is currently reporting).

The plugin image that xzener made is huge, and needs to be rescaled for a release.

So that isn't a real issue.

I was hoping to have it fixed last night but it just took to long to locate the null error.

I have to exit a bunch of long running tasks, requesting info from Vera, and exit the plugin gracefully, before any kind of release can be made public again.

Apparently, and unfortunately there is accually more testing to do before we can release it again.

Sorry about that fellas.

Edited by chef

fantaxp7

My vera is real flakey right now, I clicked firmware and it fails to connect to server. Then I tried again and the page for the vera froze. Hopefully there's a manual way to update. 

chef

Have you tried cp.mios.com

Or findvera.com

That should allow you to update to Ui7.

Are you using a Vera lite?

fantaxp7

Have you tried cp.mios.com

Or findvera.com

That should allow you to update to Ui7.

Are you using a Vera lite?

using a vera lite correct. I had to manually enter a different website. Followed directions from here and it worked http://getvera.com/vera-ui7-release-candidate/

Edit: So now I am on UI7 and still not detected by this plugin. Ideas?

Thanks 

Edited by fantaxp7

chef

@@fantaxp7

Which version of Ui7 is it,

1.7.569?

I am currently updating to the latest version.

Hopefully they haven't changed something that breaks the plugin already.

Edited by chef