Official Emby Logo Submission Thread

ebr

If you look at almost all the big mainstream apps its a stylized first letter. Facebook, twitter, flipboard, tapatalk, shazam, PayPal....

I think that should have got more thought in the naming process. I'd have gone for something like Playd and stylized the "p" with a play button.... The app is all about playing your media so it's either a play icon somewhere or stylized first letter... Anything else is a fail

Angelblue05

For some reason, my brain associates the standalone letter "e" with "error" or "erreur" in French. This is why I went in the direction of working with shapes. Plus the stylized letter is so overdone, it feels more like a "social app".

Edited by Angelblue05

swhitmore

@@Abobader

Here's my two new entries. Thanks! I will let the design be. Always open to suggestions. Thanks everyone for your feedbacks!  ^_^

552798bf91e82_Forum_template_playboxv2.j   552798cd4f7f1_Forum_template_playboxv2_s

Love this, but prefer the other font.

• Like 1

Angelblue05

Love this, but prefer the other font.

Thanks for the feedback, what other font are you referring to? :)

Angelblue05

Ah ok! Yeah. I'm very picky about my fonts lol. It's not a bad font, except the "y" looks like a "v" which is unfortunate. Anyway, as I mentioned in an earlier post, the font is optional.

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

jedninjaro

Much has been said already about the namechange to Emby.

Some love it, some hate it.

And let me assure you i'm not here to challenge people's opinions.

everyone is entitled to there opinions. and theres no fault in any.

But there's much to be said for a name without any preconseptions.

As as preconcived name only works for software that does 1 thing only.

like imgburn for example. it burns. it would be a strange name if it would also be a texteditor.

And i know we all grew to love Media browser as a name, but xbmc is also a mediabrowser. so what do you mean when saying media browser.

Emby can be anything we want it to be. It's just a matter of a different mindset.

And i can't speak for all because of language barriers, but for my languague, Emby sounds like a happy name, something you enjoy.

So Enage your media with Emby, let it Enrich your media Experience, Let it Extend it to other devices. Explore your media with Ease. and Energize your Media. simply Enjoy it.

for any negative association to the e, or to Emby let us create a positive one.

whichever logo wins, i will love it! because from then on it will be Emby

Cause in the end just remember, Emby is still your media browser.

The name is Emby Embrace it.

i know i do.

• Like 1

Angel - I think there are two things that strike me about the cube that I'm not crazy about.  One is that it is a 3D design and that is just very old-school looking right now.  Everything is flat.  So, the 3D makes us look dated right out of the gate.  The other is the hard edges of the play triangle and the awkward shape of the icon itself (created by the 3D effect).

chef

I dunno but I kind like the three dimensional block with the green corner. The best one I though was the mirrored image underneath it, it made it look like it was sitting on its corner.

That was really cool.

Maybe there could be a way to combine the logo with the small "e" with the blue edge, and the three dimensional block.

You would then have a full logo option, or a choice between two specific types by splitting it up.

The words "emby" as one choice or just the block.

Each could be used independently when applicable.

Although, I also know we need to be concrete about advertising so it might be a bad idea.

Angelblue05

Ok... Well I'll see what I can come up with. Off to sleep.

What is irrelevant now will surely be relevant in the future. Trends cycle with a fresh approach everytime and that's exactly what I am doing. Just for fun, check the evolution of the windows logo. I also believe we can push the bounderies as we are in a technological/media field and that 3D is very approriate in this case.

In design, you usually want to separate from the pack, put your product out there. Be different means people remember you. Also consider this: 3D printing, 3D movies, oculus. Technology is very 3D now, it's not long before graphics follow suit. We could be pioneers.

Nonetheless l will still consider coming up with a second concept that is more "mainstream".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

xnappo

Agreed - as I said before, flat is not cool now, flat was cool two years ago.   Flat is being USED a lot now, because the non-cool people have caught up to it.

Edited by xnappo
  • Like 5

chef

Agreed - as I said before, flat is not cool now, flat was cool two years ago. Flat is being USED a lot now, because the non-cool people have caught up to it.

Lol! I love this statement! It should be on a t-shirt!

• Like 1

xnappo

:) Just another way of saying I think we should stand out from the crowd and not conform.  

• Like 1

yardameus

If it's simple and a good design, it never goes out of style.  If we try and be too "cool", that will go out of style.  One of the main reasons I'm drawn to the "cube" design, is that it isn't a text based design, still has flat colors, just has an illusory 3d effect.  If we could get more icons/logos, not variations of "emby", that would move this along more I think.

• Like 1

saitoh183

Angel - I think there are two things that strike me about the cube that I'm not crazy about.  One is that it is a 3D design and that is just very old-school looking right now.  Everything is flat.  So, the 3D makes us look dated right out of the gate.  The other is the hard edges of the play triangle and the awkward shape of the icon itself (created by the 3D effect).

Flat is on equal footing as the word Cloud and most new HTML5 websites templates...far from being unique. Angel's Logo is much like The new windows Logo it gives the illusion of being 3d but is still a flat logo. 

Edited by saitoh183
  • Like 1

jluce50

Were we ever given a deadline for this? It's starting to feel like there's no real goalpost...

techywarrior

Were we ever given a deadline for this? It's starting to feel like there's no real goalpost...

Ebr stated April 15

Here's my last entry.

I wanted this icon to look like a pyramid type of thing where the points of the triangles were opening up but I'm not good enough to do that. Maybe someone could make it look better. Could look good as a flat icon and as an animated image that way.

552bae18ab123_EMBY0.png

Angelblue05

How is the final decision about the winning design going to be reached? Is this put to the vote, decided by an elite group or what? :)