Official Emby Logo Submission Thread

ebr

shaefurr

I think it would look neat if the tail of the flame was disintegrating pixels instead. Big blocky pixels at that.

• Like 5

godbodian

I think becoming a green "fireball" is very limiting, when the whole point (if I'm understanding correctly) was not to be bound to a certain theme. It's also very retro arcade-ish. Like a Pac Man vibe which could be cool but is retro or antiquated really the feeling or theme "we" want to exhibit as a ever-evolving, best media server solution type?

Maybe the answer is as simple as designing something that is essentially just like the name and does the same thing the EMBY name does. The main point of the EMBY name is that the name is a homophone of MB... so maybe the logo should be an illusion, homage or some other graphical representation of similarity and a nod to the old MB logo?

Because nothing seems to fit, the community picks logos that don't match the core team and the core team likes logos that the community (speaking for myself and my interpretation of what I've observed) only marginally likes. So why not have a thread/contest/submission round where the community tries to re-envision what obviously already works?

Edited by godbodian

dark_slayer

I think it is fine taking your time with this selection process, speaking to the core team as if they were singular ;)

You really don't want to change the selection after it's made or it'll appear flippant and willing to change too often. Making the right selection from the beginning will help that a lot. I've no talent whatsoever in this area, but have liked a few designs from shaefurr, joostzilla, and angel_blue.

Nothing feels like it ties the whole package together for me yet, but maybe that's the wrong way to think of it. Think of some of our popular HTPC software icons: anydvd, kodi, plex, makemkv, trakt, even the windows logo. None of them encompass the whole of the software they represent, and not all of them even encompass the name nor fit anywhere within the name.

There are some popular icons in non-entity's picture below as well that have practically nothing to do with anything, like evernote and the Intel ME icons

552d05abbf25d_logomock38.jpg

I mean you can always fathom some small nod to why evernote uses an elephant since "elephants never forget" and it's a reminder/notes app. Intel's ME obviously resembles a motherboard, and the ME drivers control the onboard PCH. Nothing to do with names, but easily identifiable by anyone who moderately knows how to use a computer

All the examples are just me trying to point out that the icon doesn't need to be such an integral part of the logo, tell the whole provenance of the project, and look cool for it to become highly recognizable by everyone. It can go either way, but odds are better that a catchy icon is simply placed alongside emby in an appealing font like a few have done on the thread. Comparatively, very few other popular logos feature their icon as some letter within their name

I say this based on all the icons I just mentioned as well as a majority of the others I didn't mention like chrome, bittorrent sync, steam, YouTube, etc the list goes on.

I also say this, because when looking through and thinking of the "perfect" fit I had raised the bar so high in my mind that nothing could match the criteria. Creatively, I can dream up a few ideas as well as picture a few that have been submitted by others, and see any of them being a good fit and very recognizable for the project a year or two years down the road. Before I looked at other highly recognizable icons/logos I couldn't see anything being a good fit.

Finally, the primary intention of my ramblings is not to haphazardly preach to the core team, but instead to reinvigorate the talented creators by sharing what sparked new "approvals" in my mind (FWIW)

cshaun

Interesting...  I'm seeing flowing hair now though.  Like a cartoon character...  Maybe not all bad.

Yeah was thinking meteor / fireball. Kinda makes me think of a racing game logo. But moves away from the flame / ember issue. Top one not as good, but just trying something a little different, look of the 'flames' could be quite different.

Maybe someone can come up with something similar.

Here's super simple... I actually quite like it. Maybe slightly rounded corners on the square, and fiddle with the padding etc. But anyway just a quick mock up.

Doesn't have any weird associations, it's just a name and a logo... basically like the word Emby that doesn't mean anything.

553f9dcfe531f_emby21.png

chef

Slightly rounded corners on the square...

553fa6308f306_emby22.png

What is great about this entry, is what it is not. And that my friends is complicated.

Simply an "e" in a box. I think this is really smart.

You can easily change the color of the box to coincide with different apps.

ie: win phone = red, mce = green, etc.

Perhaps if you run with the whole " less is more " thing, a specific font in the "e" to make it a little more memorable is all this needs... And maybe not...

This brings me to my only critic, the logo is simple, but may not be as memorable to the user because of its simplicity.

This doesn't mean that it isn't a great idea.

Sometimes less is most definitely more.

This is coming from a chef...

Edited by chef

Good day,

Well done all, to my personal view, all the logos design here are winner, sure some designs stand from the rest, but that how thing should be.

Even if one of the core team "Luke" give his thought about a design he looking and like, but you all should not stop from that, keep them coming, design new idea, but sure will be more noticeable if the design will somehow as one of the core team suggest, then modify / enhanced from there.

Many thanks and well done, you all doing great.

My best

• Like 3

Joostzilla

Sorry but i still don't believe in 'separating' the 'e' from 'mby'.
At least not in this way.

No offense!

Edited by Joostzilla
  • Like 1

cshaun

Think I prefer the smaller square, but updated square size in line with top of "b". Inspired by Chef's post above.

5540e43017db2_emby23.png

5540e4d700f86_emby24.png

cshaun

No offense!

Agree with you, but only if it hurts readability of the word as a whole. I'd say something like this does/can, but it's on the lower end of the spectrum.

Angelblue05

I can't exactly say why, but I get breaking bad when looking at it, hehe :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

chef

No offense!

None taken :)

shaefurr

I understand simplicity is whats going on here. but to me its so simple its boring.

• Like 1

Koleckai Silvestri

Too bad there isn't an element with the E as its symbol. Toss its atomic weight in the upper left corner of a green square and become  the "Breaking Bad" of media players.

non-entity

Here's another quick mock which might spark somethign in someone else. Just using the 3 lines to represent an E. Left is 1 colour, right is 3 slightly different shades of green.

5541a3994011b_logomock39.jpg

• Like 5

godbodian

Here's another quick mock which might spark somethign in someone else. Just using the 3 lines to represent an E. Left is 1 colour, right is 3 slightly different shades of green.

I like this. I feel that this has the same strengths as Joostzilla's "E" design. Except this one has elements that tie it to the visual recognition of the graphic for "server". It's simple but stands alone easily.

chef

I like the style in the third row.

• Like 2

aspdend

After Chef's latest offering - I was thinking something very similar to what you have posted (albeit mine was very much less graphic) - I really like what you have done!

• Like 1

chef

Oh boy... someone let me install CS4 on my Win 8 machine... Probably the last person who should have it... lol!

the picture is supposed to represent "you" and the emby network.

logoApril30.png

Without the user...

newidea2.png

Edited by chef
  • Like 1