Official Emby Logo Submission Thread

ebr

Heckler

Nice idea. But lose to much readability I think. Also kind of makes me think of when you turn on/off a TV how the image sort of collapses into a line and disappears (maybe just in cartoons).

Showing my age here... but older CRT  televisions did exactly that when you turned them off. I remember it happening back when I was a kid and when you turned on a TV it had to warm up before you got the best picture. Me and my brother had a TV in our bedroom when we were kids... Thought it was  so cool because it was such a rare thing back then.  In reality it was the old second hand black and white TV given to us by our grandparents... and was probably already 15yrs old when we got in the late 70's.

cshaun

Showing my age here... but older CRT  televisions did exactly that when you turned them off. I remember it happening back when I was a kid and when you turned on a TV it had to warm up before you got the best picture. Me and my brother had a TV in our bedroom when we were kids... Thought it was  so cool because it was such a rare thing back then.  In reality it was the old second hand black and white TV given to us by our grandparents... and was probably already 15yrs old when we got in the late 70's.

Yeah thought so. It was just so long ago can't remember exactly what it looked like... Probably over exaggerated in cartoons.

Not very obvious in this video.

Edited by cshaun

cshaun

5526522da7128_test1.jpg

#4 looks best to me. Could perhaps do with just a fraction more spacing, but not quite as much as 5.

Anyway addresses the thickness issues. And agree, not worth spending more time on it at this point. Good enough for deciding if it 'makes it to the next level'.

• Like 1

cshaun

32*32 and 16*16, still readable:

55265fde34be8_favicon.png 552660554c0eb_favicon_16.png

The font does not become too thin when shrunk. No chance of misreading it, by having a logo+name instead of merging the two. Emby, simple. Fresh, young, vibrant.

551b31dca3e71_competitors.jpg

It is slowly growing on me. My biggest issue is still just it's some sort of 3D box thing. Triangles = play buttons perhaps. Just a little weird.

Not getting any synergy - combining making more than sum of parts sort of a thing.

xnappo

I like that it is different.  And I think the idea of green == emerald is kinda something we can play with.

yardameus

I also like that it is an icon seperate from the word emby.  Imagine seeing it on your taskbar, or on your homescreen.  That's almost more important to me.

• Like 2

Angelblue05

It is slowly growing on me. My biggest issue is still just it's some sort of 3D box thing. Triangles = play buttons perhaps. Just a little weird.

Not getting any synergy - combining making more than sum of parts sort of a thing.

It's just a geometric shape/design. I pushed the colors to give that "gem" look with strong highlights. The box becomes a backdrop to the triangle when shrunk, which is great for readability at small size. The ratio of the icon is really 1:1. I pushed a stylized perspective where the top of the box is closer to you, to give it a dynamic look, because Emby feels dynamic. Even if Emby is much more than, it still starts with having your own media server (could be interpreted with the box). 

When I was studying in my graphic design art class, I really fell in love with art that plays with perspective. Depending on where you stand, it creates the image. These are great examples: http://weburbanist.com/2009/08/28/amazing-designer-plays-with-perspective-for-decades/

If the box is flatten where you'd see one side only, it would look like the first image. Then you turn the box at an angle/change perspective and it looks more interesting, even reminds of a play symbol:

55275004c8668_example.jpg 5527595d93437_playbox.jpg

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 3

yardameus

Does it flatten out too much if it was rotated clockwise so the right and left edges of the cube are vertical?  Still the same shading.  I like this more and more as I look at it, but I'm wondering if the "triangle" might look more like a play symbol, and thus more people might "get" it.

Angelblue05

Does it flatten out too much if it was rotated clockwise so the right and left edges of the cube are vertical?  Still the same shading.  I like this more and more as I look at it, but I'm wondering if the "triangle" might look more like a play symbol, and thus more people might "get" it.

Sure let me try it out! :)

• Like 1

Angelblue05

Original

552769362f3c8_playbox.jpg

First attempt: Too flat                Second attempt: A bit closer to the original, with the sides straight.

552767b3905ab_Emby_Playbox_flatter.jpg 55276925b3aa0_Emby_Playbox_flatter2.jpg

The box is created by eye, so it's not perfect. If the concept is chosen, I will take the time to make it perfect.

5527763c0471a_Banner_straight.jpg

Softer edge, flatter look. However, I like the highlights, it makes it look more "electric" or gives it a techy vibe:

55277bd77077a_Banner_straight2.jpg

Edit: Thanks @@yardameus for stirring me in this direction. :)

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 5

aspdend

Original

552769362f3c8_playbox.jpg

First attempt: Too flat                Second attempt: A bit closer to the original, with the sides straight.

552767b3905ab_Emby_Playbox_flatter.jpg 55276925b3aa0_Emby_Playbox_flatter2.jpg

The box is created by eye, so it's not perfect. If the concept is chosen, I will take the time to make it perfect.

5527763c0471a_Banner_straight.jpg

Softer edge, flatter look. However, I like the highlights, it makes it look more "electric" or gives it a techy vibe:

Edit: Thanks @@yardameus for stirring me in this direction. :)

I like this more now - to my mind, it has always represented a stylised play icon, which is part of the appeal.

I wonder, would it look good with a more transparent or ghost-like grey box, but keeping the opacity of the green?

• Like 2

Angelblue05

I wonder, would it look good with a more transparent or ghost-like grey box, but keeping the opacity of the green?

Something like this, you mean? I'm not exactly sure I understood correctly. Anyway, I'm probably done for tonight. :P

552783ded977d_Banner_straight3.jpg

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

Steven

I like the softer look. What I like about that shape is the green section can also be seen as an inward slice seeing the inside: grey outer shell and solid green inside. :)

It may not be perfect but I like the overall image it gives combined with the font: Modern.

Edited by Steven
  • Like 1

Angelblue05

I like the softer look. What I like about that shape is the green section can also be seen as an inward slice seeing the inside: grey outer shell and solid green inside. :)

It may not be perfect but I like the overall image it gives combined with the font: Modern.

It's the beauty of working with perspective + geometry. Mind tricks. It makes it memorable I find, then again, I've been playing with the idea for few weeks so I might be buyist. Haha

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

aspdend

Something like this, you mean? I'm not exactly sure I understood correctly. Anyway, I'm probably done for tonight. :P

552783ded977d_Banner_straight3.jpg

Sort of - more like that, but without seeing the 'inside' of the cube...so making the two side faces and top more transparent...

Angelblue05

@@Abobader

Here's my two new entries. Thanks! I will let the design be. Always open to suggestions. Thanks everyone for your feedbacks!  ^_^

552798bf91e82_Forum_template_playboxv2.j   552798cd4f7f1_Forum_template_playboxv2_s

• Like 4

thefirstofthe300

Oooo.....I like the second one.

@@Abobader

Here's my two new entries. Thanks! I will let the design be. Always open to suggestions. Thanks everyone for your feedbacks!  ^_^

552798bf91e82_Forum_template_playboxv2.j   552798cd4f7f1_Forum_template_playboxv2_s

• Like 1

jedninjaro

it's stil a mockup so don't mind the rough edges. but i adjusted the font i used a little bit.

5527fd3b178a2_em2embufullsmall.jpg

A little funny you might think! but let me explain.

When trying to come up with a design i'm a little bit stumpt.

Because wat is Emby, how to visualise.

is it playing movies, yes but not only.

is it playing games, yes but not only.

i was tinking diversity, Emby is diverse, but other then a swiss pocket knife there's not much to do with that.

Plus it all tells a story about what is does, but not completely.

so not to tell what is does then, but what is Emby about. thats a lot to tell.

it's for when you ENJOY listening to music

ENJOY reading your favorite book, or enjoy watching a film.

it's to ENJOY having your favorite media everywhere you go

so what did i need to make emby ENJOY

apparently just these two things.

5527ff26cc0b4_archline.jpg

and make it like this

5527ff7e2249f_embywhitekl.jpg

So that's all there is to tell about this attempt, it works great for video intro's, marketing, and such and still clearly reads Emby

so startup Emby en simply ENJOY.

552801c67d36c_ezgifcomvideotogif1.gif

552801e9c756a_embyenjoyfull.jpg

just remember it's still a mockup, adjustments can be made, or won't if it's not to anyone's liking

• Like 1

techywarrior

I really like the emby -> en joy concept but I don't think that the little color on the logo makes sense without the transition. Whatever the winning logo is though I hope that we run with "emby, en joy" in some aspect though. Be it an intro to any official demo videos, the new tagline, etc.

jedninjaro

Just to clarify, i'm talking about the font, not the blue parts. they visiualise the posibilities for promotion, or intro.

it's the same font i used for my other logo, with this being the idea

552817f156240_eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.jpg

its just offers the possibilitie for a ufo to bump in to the logo and break somepart of, for the sf intro.

a wildwest shootout, and part breaks of. and seperate comedy etc intro, enjoy your movie.

or for marketing videos., you can use it highress with a broken shadow showing enjoy.

cshaun

Just to clarify, i'm talking about the font, not the blue parts. they visiualise the posibilities for promotion, or intro.

it's the same font i used for my other logo, with this being the idea

552817f156240_eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.jpg

its just offers the possibilitie for a ufo to bump in to the logo and break somepart of, for the sf intro.

a wildwest shootout, and part breaks of. and seperate comedy etc intro, enjoy your movie.

or for marketing videos., you can use it highress with a broken shadow showing enjoy.

I like the concept. I like the simplicity of Emby "enjoy". (Simple like Nike "Just do it" etc).

Though I think the "j" in the m makes it difficult to read Emby. So ends up detracting... clever though.

I think your concept works pretty well for any video or start up screen. emby transitioning to the work enjoy. Perhaps just a simple fade, or swipe transition. Could work quite well.

Not sure how much the clever transition really adds to things. But anyway cool none the less.

• Like 1

@@Abobader

I like the text and I like the color schemes you have going there but I just can't get into that geometric shape for an icon.  Do you have any other ideas for icons you could fit into this style of design?

• Like 2

Angelblue05

I like the text and I like the color schemes you have going there but I just can't get into that geometric shape for an icon.  Do you have any other ideas for icons you could fit into this style of design?

I'd have to seriously think about it. Thanks for the feedback @@ebr.

Did you have an idea of the direction you want to go in for the icon? Move away from geometric shapes or rather what's the matter with my current icon? Maybe it will help me understand why or more importantly how I can improve upon/create a new concept in a short few days.

Personally think angelblues design is light years ahead of anything else that's been offered so far...

Not all that keen on emby as a name tbh, seems like we're trying to copy kodi. But that's just my opinion...

• Like 1