Official Emby Logo Submission Thread

ebr

godbodian

Look how cool it looks as splash screen for an app.

552e2931e74eb_htc_one_mockup2.jpg

@@Joostzilla, I just had an amazing (well it's amazing to me) idea. If they were to pick your 'E' design, you could animate it showing an animation of various medias falling like snow in a snow globe, ie. symbols for each of the media types, platforms and possibly formats that EMBY actually does. Then the green "ribbon" peeks up from the bottom center right so the view can zoom out and you see the falling 'icons and media symbols' "contained" by that green ribbon spiraling in on itself, until it represents the actual logo only with those 'artifacts' falling inside. It should be clear it's a spiral, as opposed to the "flattened" 'E' design it is currently. Maintain this animation for a tenth of a second then flatten it into the actual EMBY logo and background (of course removing all the extra artifacts).

I think that would be awesome.

Hell, you could use that spiraling green 'ribbon', DNA like animation to symbolize "Loading..." animations as well. Again man excellent job.

Edited by godbodian
  • Like 2

freshj

Hi all,

Firstly my fav is the latest from Joostzilla (really like the font as well as logo, well resolved) followed by the last adaption by Angelblue05. Some good concepts by non-entity too. I prefer them over anything I could do but I did have a dabble and thought I'd post for the sake of ideas. Probably a bit amateur and boring but what the heck. I know the 'e' is lost somewhat in some which discounts them but I got attached to the idea of integrating logo and name.

552f1ad40cf4a_embylogo1.jpg

552f1c0968dfc_embylogo2.jpg

@@Abobader

Shouldn't  the official submission thread be updated? The last one was the 1st of April.

:D

Sorry buddy, update it now.

• Like 1

Okay everyone, I want to thank you again for your hard work, brainstorming and creative talents here.  Many of these submissions look good but I don't think we've hit "it" yet.  I know this is a very hard thing to do because you really have no idea what "it" is (because we can't really tell you).

So, please keep ideas coming if you have them and care to.  Since the deadline has passed, we are also exploring other avenues but I still think it would be awesome if our new look came from a community member.

• Like 1

Joostzilla

Too bad we couldn't convince you guys with one of the community designs but thanks for involving us in the process. 

It was great fun and i will try to come up with something new. Although i am personally convinced my last design would make a great emby logo.  :D;)

The Kodi logo was designed by a design studio. So apparently that's no guarantee for a great logo either.  ;)

• Like 5

shaefurr

Last one ill be doing, just wanted to throw something else in there :P

552fecb18e9e0_embylogo.jpg

552fecb9e19f3_embytaskbar1.jpg

552fecc030fe9_embyprev1.jpg

• Like 4

chef

Too bad we couldn't convince you guys with one of the community designs but thanks for involving us in the process.

It was great fun and i will try to come up with something new. Although i am personally convinced my last design would make a great emby logo. :D;)

The Kodi logo was designed by a design studio. So apparently that's no guarantee for a great logo either. ;)

I really like your last design. I was sold.

• Like 1

Angelblue05

I think the best thing to do is for the core team to select a few examples of logo they all like (like 2-3). It doesn't need to be media related, but at least, this way we can have an idea of what you guys are looking for in the design.

I do not like the guessing game, it usually always ends up wasting people's time hehe... We don't want that now, do we? :D

Also remember this as it is a difficult feat to accomplish - we have to please a team, not just a single person. A little direction will go a long way in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

pir8radio

I say @@Joostzilla 's  E design wins...       Get it out there promote the logo and it will be the "IT" logo...   Almost all of the famous internet logos start with the first letter of the brand name...   just a letter in a box and you know what it is...   Facebook, Blogger, Twitter, LinkedIn.  none of their letters in a box are amazing, its having that logo out there getting people familiar with it, and not changing it, is what makes it "IT".  in my opinion that means nothing that is.

• Like 3

thefirstofthe300

I say @@Joostzilla 's  E design wins...       Get it out there promote the logo and it will be the "IT" logo...   Almost all of the famous internet logos start with the first letter of the brand name...   just a letter in a box and you know what it is...   Facebook, Blogger, Twitter, LinkedIn.  none of their letters in a box are amazing, its having that logo out there getting people familiar with it, and not changing it, is what makes it "IT".  in my opinion that means nothing that is.

SOOOOO this.

• Like 2

yardameus

55308b2f70e17_icon.png

Here, just to open things up a little bit.  Yes?  Why.  No?  Why not?  Discuss...

godbodian

I think the reason, the community wasn't able to hit the mark is because there was no and/or seemingly little communication from the devs as to what they were looking to see. Even if it wasn't exact or the descriptions were abstract and conceptual, that would have helped greater. As of right now, the community was basically shooting in the dark, in hopes the devs would "see" something that would trigger their sense of "yes this is it".

I think what was missed is, technically this was done during the last branding change/update and the community was able to assist but it was only because the idea was more concrete. It was simply a vamp of what already was, not a new conceptualization of what is, what a new name means and how that new identity translates visually. While I'm sure a design studio will help, a design studio is going to simply do the same thing the community has done with exception to their NOT proceeding until they've nailed down some ideas or desires of those devs making the "call" creatively.

@@ebr, I understand the submission deadline is over and I don't know if your team would be incurring any additional and external costs to going with a design team but truthfully I've seen a few individuals here with designs on par, if not better than the average designer at any firm. My point to saying that is, I'm responding to your statement about still possibly wanting the logo to be designed by someone from within the community. I think that can still happen, if you provide the community with the creative concepts, thoughts, understandings, wants and "out of the question" items of the Devs involved in deciding.  Sorry, not to be assumptive just in reading all the posts in their entirety there just seem to be that disconnect with regard to communication. There was input, just more so of a reactionary or passive type, as opposed to a directed or driving energy of "this is where we want to be". No matter if that "be" was abstract and/or conceptual by itself as in saying, "we want to be green or vibrant, but not too dot.com-ish".

Or you could just utilize this as a proving ground and the Devs choose based off design principle and skill who best fits all of your vision and inform that person and give them a shot. If you'd be opposed to giving the entire community access to the meetings of the "inner sanctum". (Anyone else hear the theme of the Empire music from Star Wars? LOL)

Just a thought, as always.

Edited by godbodian
  • Like 5

yardameus

If nothing else, it'd be good to know what not to do.  Sometimes "failures" are the best way to learn.  I've seen lot's of good designs.  That doesn't mean the devs have to choose anything that's been done.  If I had to choose something to represent all my work, I'd be horribly picky.  Phase II begin......

• Like 1

Joostzilla

The problem with the "E" design is more of a legal character.

http://www.eberspaecher.com/

I can't imagine there would be any legal action against emby when using the E logo.

1. One cannot claim the exclusive rights to using an E as logo.

2.The style of the E is quite different and only resembles the EberSpraecher logo.

3. The 'Ribbon' style is a common design style and also cannot be claimed.

4. Even the name emby isn't exclusive so similarities in the logo shouldn't be a problem either

5. emby operates in a completely different type of business.

Problem solved. Just use the E logo  :D  :D

• Like 3

pir8radio

I can't imagine there would be any legal action against emby when using the E logo.

1. One cannot claim the exclusive rights to using an E as logo.

2.The style of the E is quite different and only resembles the EberSpraecher logo.

3. The 'Ribbon' style is a common design style and also cannot be claimed.

4. Even the name emby isn't exclusive so similarities in the logo shouldn't be a problem either

5. emby operates in a completely different type of business.

Problem solved. Just use the E logo  :D  :D

Yea, I agree...   there are Millions of global companies and no matter what logo is finally picked, I guarantee it will in some way shape or form resemble another logo.  Like i said in my previous post you must get it out there make it known, and DON'T CHANGE IT..   

Similar logos I found in just a few seconds:

5532e5a7bce8f_logos.png

So don't pick or dismiss a logo because it has some kind of similarity with another.  Especially if its geared toward a totally different audience.

Edited by pir8radio
  • Like 5

thefirstofthe300

Looking at those logos, I am surprised someone hasn't gotten sued...

I guess that illustrates your point pretty well. :)

Edited by DaBungalow

dark_slayer

+1. I knew this but didn't take the time to put forth the evidence. The first six look as if they all used the same design studio who let them pick from a book . . . and they all picked that one. Lesser knowns anyway. Sun and Columbia, now that's funny

josephasmith1

I'm surprised no one has pointed out how much this design looks like the Office for Mac icon. Its the 'w' turned 45 degrees.

Joostzilla

I'm surprised no one has pointed out how much this design looks like the Office for Mac icon. Its the 'w' turned 45 degrees.

Ah well, this will not be the logo so it doesn't really matter.

pir8radio

lol...  must not have seen post #443   

dnicks

Has anyone thought about writing emby in script letters and using the script capital e (with the tail of the e maybe rotating to show a filmstrip) as the logo or icon for an app?  Just a suggestion

chef

Has anyone thought about writing emby in script letters and using the script capital e (with the tail of the e maybe rotating to show a filmstrip) as the logo or icon for an app? Just a suggestion

Sounds classy.