Official Emby Logo Submission Thread

ebr

pir8radio

I am no graphics person.. Just throwing this out there to see if it sticks...     emby... em bee...  honey... hexagon...   

5536e20390dde_stab_icon.png

5536e2111defb_stab.png

• Like 4

Xzener

23 pages... Any end in sight? Seems as though this could go on forever. Do we have any candidates?

• Like 1

shaefurr

Well there was 81 pages just for the rename suggestion thread :P

Honestly I think this thread has the same problem as the rename thread. There will be a ton of suggestions that will be liked, but for some reason or other it just wont be what the core team is looking for. I mean you should have seen the rename thread, 80 pages of suggested names and they went with the original name anyway. I dunno what is is they're looking for, but I think there was plenty of professional looking logos in this thread(joostzilla) that would look great as a new logo. Maybe their expectations for the "perfect" logo are just too high.

Just my thoughts on the matter, seems to be a repeat of the previous thread :/

Edited by shaefurr
  • Like 5

hedgehogg

Y'kno noone said how great mine was (It was the 1st btw) ...............

/Hogg crawls back into a ball, rolls into the corner and sulks......................

• Like 1

chef

23 pages... Any end in sight? Seems as though this could go on forever. Do we have any candidates?

Xzener with your expertise, I didn't see (or I missed) your proposed logo.

• Like 1

jedninjaro

As a contributor to this post, i've been following its progress. Which lately has slowed down to a standstill.

I've been thinking a lot about what the logo should look like. But ran into a lot of problems.

sinds my latest logo design, i've done a lot of research and created a lot of logo's

none of which i've posted.

There are several reasons for that, of which i think other designers struggle with to.

Which mostly is that when we have created something we think back to this post. and think (well seeing the comments on others posts, they won't like this one.)

so to maybe help others, and help this thread forward, lets jump into my mind for a second (yes i know it's a weird and scary place)

I have not been creating logos with any play symbol reference, cause i don't think it tells the right story.

better yet in my emby setup. emby browses. and the playing is done by vlc, so it doesn't tell a half story, it tells the 1 thing Emby actually doesn't do itself.

i have been thinking of the control buttons on a remote, the 4 arrow keys, and the middle enter. It would tell the best story. and could even resemblance the keys on a gamecontroller.

but then i thought, Kodi has that hidden in it's logo openelec has it, so i can post this. but they wont like it because they would say others already have it.

which is also strange because a play symbol isn't a problem to many, which acctually has been done more often.

and as spock would say " a control logo is only logical". especialy because (and i said it before) every logo will remind you of something).

but the problem is that the love people and programmers have for Emby, they probably want something unique. which in this time is impossible.

I have been thinking about bees (yes as in em bee). And although many don't want a mascotte, and think its silly because of emby -embee.

I don't see an exact problem with it, as many also use animals in their logo's.

better yet of all animals and insects, emby has the most incommen with bees.

lets see the bee hive as the central harddrive, or nas. controlled by the mother bee (emby server) with workers (android, theather) which can move freelly around doing the work while

under control of the mother bee. there also natures explorers, which Emby is about. and so on, so i've created a cool bee logo, and some honycomb logo's.

but then my mind started remembering this thread, and the logo wouldn't be liked, cause we don't sell honey. or it wasnt cool enough.

Ive started thinking about a compass, because Emby is about exploring your media, but most logo's i've designed had sharp edges, and so wouldnt be liked. and you would have thought emby was a travel agency.

started thinking about the resemblance between controll buttons and a movie wheel, wich worked well, but any way i made it it didn't scale well enough to what you want.

i then made a logo with control buttons, that could also resemblance a group of people collaberating, o wait, its still controll buttons, so they probably wont like it.

so back to the letter e then, created a e in a flat but 3 dimensional looking box. and it had sharp edges so they probably won't like it. and then again, someone else was already busy with

the 3d box thingy, and i don't wanne piss him of thinking i'm stealing his ideas.

yes we work here as individuals, while a proffesional design team work much more toghether, also brainstorming about ideas.

creating many logo's which all look very the same, but with the same basic idea.

i started creating with hidden binary codes, but i will never scale well enough.

fire and water created a cloud, no ember refferance, popcorn, movie wheel, projector,curtains, not cool enough. and only tells one story, plus scalebillity.

generic shapes then, well it doen's say anything and i think above all, they want atleast some reference to emby.

well then an e that can also be an m, with a y in it, and the whole things looks like a b. it turn out to many sharp edges to farfetced, they won't like it although it does work.

and many logos are created in this way. but still no posting this one, they will think it looks silly, and yes at first it does.

so different letter e designs then. But can't help thinking they just want more meaning in the logo.

some design i created i like, but won't mean others like it, so designs i created, i don't like but won't mean others won't like it.

and many more designs crossed my mind.

It might just be my autistic brain thinking like this. but maybe someone has some use of it.

Has anyone thought about writing emby in script letters and using the script capital e (with the tail of the e maybe rotating to show a filmstrip) as the logo or icon for an app?  Just a suggestion

Yes have also concemplated this, but it only tells about the movie function, so in my mind it's not the right way to go (read in my mind). i could be wrong 

but i think where missing more of this.

many people look on this forum and think, i can't design so why bother.

whilst in fact with every idea posted this forum is stearing us into the direction of the actual logo.

A bad idea, is never bad, it's just something we can cross of the list of the many possibillities there are.

or use is some way or an other

so we need more people posting there ideas, there thought process.

There are some great designers on this forum, Joostzilla, angelblue05 just to name two (there are many others).

who could benefit from others thoughtprocesses, because you would become there team.

Just because it doen't work in your mind, doesn't mean it doesn't work in theirs.

because right now, there's to little information to really work with.

But the expertise and ideas are available in the people on this forum.

lets use em, and combine them.

And yes, again a rambling post from that weird jedninjaro guy :) 

but if it only helps stearing this in the right direction for 0001% then we all should do some more rambling.

or you have an idea that just doesnt work in your head, well maybe a other designer has better luck with it.

it would be cool if i would be the one that created the eventual logo.

and to have a better change at that i would have to keep all ideas to myself.

Which i think is one of the problems here.

• Like 1

Angelblue05

The problem is we have the pickiest core team in the world and they are not willing to give us a direction to go on. It seems they don't even know what they want as a team. This is said with all the love and care in the world. :)

We went thru the same thing with the naming thread. I have no interest in coming up with a logo until the core team gives us a starting point. Infinity is not a starting point, but the utter lack of one. The team needs to find logos they actually like and share them with the rest of the class.

It is unfair to ask people to put their free time towards this when it's currently impossible to hit the mark. This is just my opinion. I do love Emby and I support it in any way I can, but as I said many times before, be more organized. We have limited time and resources, we can't go wasting people's time left and right. :)

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 2

Heck, besides Luke and Ebr i don't even know who is on the core team  :(

Good day,

Well regarding the core team:

Old core team:

Ebr, Luke, ScottIsAFool, swhitmore, and Redshirt.

Now core team:

Ebr, Luke, ScottIsAFool, and 7illusions

Hope this help regarding the core team matters.

My best

• Like 3

saitoh183

Good day,

Well regarding the core team:

Old core team:

Ebr, Luke, ScottIsAFool, swhitmore, and Redshirt.

Now core team:

Ebr, Luke, ScottIsAFool, and 7illusions

Hope this help regarding the core team matters.

My best

• Like 1

shaefurr

where did Redshirt go?

He left the community a while ago. He did generously turn over his code though so other devs can work on his apps/plugins.

• Like 1

godbodian

@@Joostzilla, if I shoot you an idea, you think you can put your polished spin on it?

(It's nothing really involved or something that should take long, just my contribution but I want to see it somewhat in the same realm as what your talents have put forth because it is so simple a concept.)

cshaun

Agree with the last few posts. Pretty difficult moving forward at this point. Have put in a fair bit of my time putting forward some concepts and trying to steer / help others.

Really do want a nice logo and all the best for Emby.

Regarding collaboration - I don't see too much of an issue "improving" on someone elses design or taking it in a new directly. Simply need to give credit. There have been plenty of designs presented that aren't polished or refined - often cause at that stage designer could see it was probably no good.

Anyway we really just want the best logo possible.

Perhaps at this stage if the core team could pick the top few logos and comment on them as to what they like or don't like about them. It'd help give some direction.

Joostzilla

@@Joostzilla, if I shoot you an idea, you think you can put your polished spin on it?

(It's nothing really involved or something that should take long, just my contribution but I want to see it somewhat in the same realm as what your talents have put forth because it is so simple a concept.)

Shoot [emoji106]

shaefurr

Any input from the core team here? Starting to feel like people wasted their time again just like the with other thread. Getting pretty tired of contributing to a black hole.

Been over a week with not a single post from anyone on the core team. And it's not like they're not posting elsewhere on the forum :P

Edited by shaefurr

Ebr did a few pages ago. We are considering all of these and we have a number of them that we like. Keep in mind we are also balancing this with regular ongoing development and just like everything else it has a priority level that determines how many hours in a day we're going to spend on it, and thus, how long it will take to complete. For example, we have a brand new app release that is in the process of getting published that you guys don't even know about yet. (You're going to like it :))  And then of course other projects that are ongoing as well. So it just takes time.

• Like 4

shaefurr

Okay everyone, I want to thank you again for your hard work, brainstorming and creative talents here.  Many of these submissions look good but I don't think we've hit "it" yet.  I know this is a very hard thing to do because you really have no idea what "it" is (because we can't really tell you).

So, please keep ideas coming if you have them and care to.  Since the deadline has passed, we are also exploring other avenues but I still think it would be awesome if our new look came from a community member.

I understand you guys delegate your time, my only issue was with what his post said.

If you're referring to this post, I basically took that as "none of these are what we're looking for, we will look elsewhere but feel free to submit more anyway".

"We are considering all of these and we have a number of them that we like." Maybe just saying that and mentioning which ones would give us a bit more to work on.

Well this is my favorite, we just need something other than a flame

550bcc3a784f2_logomock.jpg

It has a nice friendly font and only uses 2 colors (accent + black or white).

techywarrior

replace the fire with honey bees :P

Actually, that's not fire... it's honey.... dripping...... upside down? lol

chef

Heck, besides Luke and Ebr i don't even know who is on the core team :(

Don't forget Scott. ;)

pir8radio

i like the "fire" its not dumb looking, or outdated, flames, its an interesting flame design that wont get outdated.   Icons can be just the flame e    this one has always been one of my favorites too.

techywarrior

I don't think the problem was with the fire being outdated. I don't feel like going through the pages now but I think there was an issue with it being too similar to some other media software.