IRIDIUM: A NEW MBC THEME COMING SOON!!!

Cheesegeezer

Cheesegeezer

This may be a little slower getting out than I anticipated.... currently on my way to Qatar for work, so apologies if you don't hear any updates.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Cheesegeezer

Not had much time to play with Iridium nor have I had any internet until today, But got 90% of the Thumb View finish.  @@shaefurr has been such a great help with design and we are going to work on the Thumbstrip View next ;) This should be quite tastey too.

Anyway we thought it was about time for another teaser :D  Enjoy

z692l1C.png

• Like 1

techywarrior

That a pretty sexy view there. I may even try that instead of the basic list view that I prefer. I haven't seen anyone use the title art like that before. Is that what you are calling the "thumb" view?

Couple questions/comments. How can you tell which title you are viewing? I think it's obviously the one in the middle but maybe some visual indicator could be added to make it more obvious. Any chance that the titles could be moved closer together so more could be showed at once in the list? That's one of the nice things with most of the list views. They show a lot of titles on a "page" so if you have 1000 movies it doesn't take forever to scroll thru when you have no idea what you feel like watching :)

Cheesegeezer

That a pretty sexy view there. I may even try that instead of the basic list view that I prefer. I haven't seen anyone use the title art like that before. Is that what you are calling the "thumb" view?

Couple questions/comments. How can you tell which title you are viewing? I think it's obviously the one in the middle but maybe some visual indicator could be added to make it more obvious. Any chance that the titles could be moved closer together so more could be showed at once in the list? That's one of the nice things with most of the list views. They show a lot of titles on a "page" so if you have 1000 movies it doesn't take forever to scroll thru when you have no idea what you feel like watching :)

You could always look at the Poster Art ;).  Adding an option to show titles would not be difficult.  

I'm curious how you scroller thru your lists..... do you almost paginate i.e scroll to the top... read all the titles underneath then scroll so the last you just saw is at the top of the list.  I feel most people look at the focus item, if they want to jump the list they will use SKIPFWD on remote, if they have an idea of the title they can use triple tap or the jump in list (JIL Feature, blue button).  I feel that the space and real estate used for the Logo's are pretty spot on.

With regards to knowing which one you are at there is an animation which scales the logo's up to draw your attention to that.

I do appreciate your feedback, don't get me wrong. Cheers ;)

techywarrior

hehe, I know it's pretty obvious which one you are on but since you have a list on the left it just seems natural to expect an indication other then just that it's the middle one. Maybe just seeing it in motion will be enough. Hard to tell how it moves from a static image :P

EDIT: I just reread your post. So the title art is larger when you select it? I'd definitely have to see that in action. Since there is no standard size for that artwork it's very possible that one that isn't the focus is larger then one that is.

If I know what I want to watch I will typically use the Alpha selector to jump but more often then not my GF and I can't agree on what movie to watch so I will scroll thru the list. When doing this we'll look at a page and quickly read the titles and then press page up/down to go to the next one (one whole page at a time). Occasionally we may go to a specific title in the list if she can't remember what it was about or something like that.

Edited by techywarrior

I agree, a highlight of some sort on the current one makes sense.  This is especially important with graphical elements like that because the brain doesn't instantly clue in to what goes with what.  Plus, you need some indication of "focus" so that you know where you will end up when you go up or down.

That view looks really good though.

One thought on fitting more titles in would be to have the titles scale down the further from the center they are.  So you would see more of them and they would look like they are fading into the background and rolling around a 3-dimensional rolodex of sorts.

• Like 1

techywarrior

One thought on fitting more titles in would be to have the titles scale down the further from the center they are.  So you would see more of them and they would look like they are fading into the background and rolling around a 3-dimensional rolodex of sorts.

That could look pretty nice. Even just reducing spacing a bit would fit a sixth. But I like ebr's idea because it also helps highlight the one you are on (since it would be much larger then the others). But I still think having a focus background or something on the one in focus would help visually distinguish it.

Cheesegeezer

I agree, a highlight of some sort on the current one makes sense.  This is especially important with graphical elements like that because the brain doesn't instantly clue in to what goes with what.  Plus, you need some indication of "focus" so that you know where you will end up when you go up or down.

That view looks really good though.

Hahaha yeah cheers, the headache just to get that curve going killed me!!  I knew it was possible and ended up using the Helix example in the sample explorer and got that going.  I guess using the scale as a Vector3 could wouldn't be that hard to do now that i've done the hard work.

I can add Focus BG, not an issue, similiar to the one on the Details page.

Cheers for the feedback peeps

• Like 1

shaefurr

we've revised these views a lot already, but there already was a selected item bg in (one of) the designs. lol

54f8b7e69a9f3_Logoviewcurved.jpg

• Like 1

techywarrior

See Cheese, you didn't follow the design :P

That design actually seems to implement two of my "complaints". One, the background on the selected item (although I think it should be semi transparent, maybe 80% opacity or something, since your implementation shows the background thru that left side). Second the title art seems to be smaller. In the design there are 7 visible and in the screenshot Cheese posted there are only 5.

shaefurr

Cheese had too much coffee :)

Honestly though we've had I think 3 designs just for this page so I dunno what one hes using lol. I have to admit im terrible about keeping our dropbox folder updated :P

• Like 1

Cheesegeezer

Taken your pointers and made them happen.

Got some more views to share with you guys from Details, Thumb, Coverflow and Thumbstrip

Coverflow Main View

T4XH4k8.png

Coverflow Mirrored View

fAXthlB.png

Details have 3 available views -

Details Normal with Overview Hidden

7hFKR5R.png

Details Normal with Overview Shown

XEqblrS.png

Details Banner View

F02uvKE.png

Details Quicklist

Cxlc6lF.png

Thumb View

RDpEskI.png

Thumbstrip View

CzmMi3A.png

hYR2OzZ.png

• Like 1

Tester

Looking better and better, I really like the thumb view..  Looking forward to a release

Keep up the great work

• Like 1

buddyweiser

Taken your pointers and made them happen.

Got some more views to share with you guys from Details, Thumb, Coverflow and Thumbstrip

Coverflow Main View

T4XH4k8.png

Coverflow Mirrored View

fAXthlB.png

Details have 3 available views -

Details Normal with Overview Hidden

7hFKR5R.png

Details Normal with Overview Shown

XEqblrS.png

Details Banner View

F02uvKE.png

Details Quicklist

Cxlc6lF.png

Thumb View

RDpEskI.png

Thumbstrip View

CzmMi3A.png

hYR2OzZ.png

Fantastic looks! You guys have really outdone yourselves!

Sent using my G3

• Like 3

techywarrior

That's looking really good. I'm very tempted to use the thumb view instead of detail because it looks so nice in this theme.

One question about the detail view though. It is normally like the first screenshot of the detail view right, and then you click left arrow and it slides across to show the overview? Is that correct?

I'm not sure if it's an oversight or not but I'd recommend adding the rating to the detail list page (the first list without the overview) even if it's just a text rating so that people can quickly see the rating as they scroll thru the list in case they have a kid in the room or something. Otherwise you have to check the overview every time just in case. Also, and this is much less important, it's nice to see the end time listed next to the runtime so you don't have to calculate it. But like I said, much less important so if it doesn't fit in or look good no big deal.

• Like 1

yardameus

...Also, and this is much less important, it's nice to see the end time listed next to the runtime so you don't have to calculate it. But like I said, much less important so if it doesn't fit in or look good no big deal.

yes please...  (End time bandit strikes again, haa haa)

Cheesegeezer

That's looking really good. I'm very tempted to use the thumb view instead of detail because it looks so nice in this theme.

One question about the detail view though. It is normally like the first screenshot of the detail view right, and then you click left arrow and it slides across to show the overview? Is that correct?

Exactly like that on the detail view, like in the video posted previously in this thread.

I'm not sure if it's an oversight or not but I'd recommend adding the rating to the detail list page (the first list without the overview) even if it's just a text rating so that people can quickly see the rating as they scroll thru the list in case they have a kid in the room or something. Otherwise you have to check the overview every time just in case. Also, and this is much less important, it's nice to see the end time listed next to the runtime so you don't have to calculate it. But like I said, much less important so if it doesn't fit in or look good no big deal.

The way the rating work is you can chose what you want thru the options.  So you can have

Star Rating

IMDB Rating

Rotten Tomato Rating

IMDB & RT Rating

EDIT- I see you mean Parental Rating not rating rating. lol

I have plans to add the End time as an option for those that want it.  Just really been focusing on the layouts at the minute and I can add bells and whistles later :D

Cheers for your comments mate

Edited by Cheesegeezer

techywarrior

haha, yes, Parental Rating.

You know... we wouldn't ask so many silly questions if you'd let us play with it :)

• Like 1

Cheesegeezer

haha, yes, Parental Rating.

You know... we wouldn't ask so many silly questions if you'd let us play with it :)

lol, yeah, my next hurdle is to re-arrange the home page to make it a lot less busy, more uniform, and a better UI in general.  The good thing is, is that i've done all the hard work in the coding, it's just juggling the layout.

Oh and I need to finish off the poster view too, the one we have come up with is ok, but it just doesn't carry the same stunning visuals as the other views, so I think we need to revisit that one.

denethor

ophaPFv.jpg

I'm not Media Center guy anymore but man you reminded how good it was with this details page. Well done. 

Why we cannot have this tabbed view in Kodi movie detail page @@im85288   :wub:

Cheesegeezer

I'm not Media Center guy anymore but man you reminded how good it was with this details page. Well done. 

Why we cannot have this tabbed view in Kodi movie detail page @@im85288   :wub:

Its come a long way since then, I think that was the first iteration, maybe it might turn you back :lol: 

Cheers 

• Like 1