IRIDIUM: A NEW MBC THEME COMING SOON!!!

Cheesegeezer

yardameus

I wonder what it would be like (unless this is a huge rewrite/pain in the ass) if you only had recently added in the main window, but then when you went down to the second line, and went over resume, or next up, etc... that is all that showed in the main window?  I like being able to see all of that, and I wouldn't hate it as is, but I do like a little more simplicity.  That would also allow for more of each item to be shown. I could throw a mock-up together if my phrasing doesn't make sense.  Or if it's an easy change, making a simpler view an option in configuration.

Cheesegeezer

yes please do a mock, I think I understand you, but if I do, I don't fancy that idea.

techywarrior

Got some sweet looking new views in the works :)

Apparently I'm in the minority but I find it hard to browse my movie collection with posters or some of the other overly graphical views. Have you thought about how the list view is going to look? Any sneak peak at that one?

shaefurr

We haven't gotten to list view yet, but that's a good idea ill send some stuff over to Mr cheese and see what he thinks

sent from my lumia icon

Cheesegeezer

@@techywarrior do your issues occur with all themes.

Shaeff has a great idea that should sort your issues.

@@LiquidFX we(that means Shaeff) are working on the concepts for the rest of the views, and I'm coding them, so we'll get some more teasers up soon.

shaefurr

together we are captain planet!

edit:sorry im on high on pain meds

Edited by shaefurr
  • Like 3

techywarrior

Cheese, I guess my issues with the graphical view come down to a few things really.

First I find it hard to tell what some movies are based on their poster alone. 90% of posters are good but there is always that movie that has a really non-descript poster, or something that you can barely read. Since all the themes I have tried have posters without titles it makes it problematic. A larger problem for me is the speed. This could be bad user behavior from before we had the jump lists but I tend to scroll thru my movie list waiting for something to catch my eye that I want to (re)watch. The performance of poster based lists has always been terrible in my opinion. Even my current fave, Square, slows down in the list view as I am scrolling because it loads clearart, poster, and description. That brings me to the other issue, I like seeing a brief synopsis and runtime without having to enter each movie. Since I tend to scroll thru looking for something to watch I don't want to have to enter each movie to see if it will finish before I have to leave/work/sleep/etc.

Other people probably have much different priorities from me, they must since I know most people prefer the fancy graphical views :)

If you'd like my opinion on any mockups you've done I'd be more then happy to give them (not that you have to listen to them :) )

Cheesegeezer

@@techywarrior I'm not I've experienced your issues before on list views, are you viewing these over network or extender? That's the only way I can see you having the slow issues. But to be fair a UI without some eye candy would be pointless imo. Although providing a view for quick list scrolling does make sense. Xenon has a good list scroller that allows you to select, logo, clearart, poster thumb or just text to display and has runtime and end time. But I understand if the rest isnt your cup of tea.

we are going to do a list view which should suit you.

techywarrior

Sorry Cheese. I was describing issues with poster view, thumbnail view, (whatever that one that looks like the circlular scroller). Unless you meant when I describe Square's list being "slow". I probably shouldn't have talked about that after describing the other slow views since the list is so much faster. The slowness is that the artwork takes a time fill in.

I like the concept, can there be an option to display a synopsis? Not sure where it would be in the concept. Perhaps it would be below the poster but then the poster and title would have to be moved up (in line with the top line of the list). Or if the poster moved left or right the synopsis could fit next to it.

Any option for that (or similar)?

Cheesegeezer

well techy we already have made that choice regarding a slide out synopsis. ;)

techywarrior

Slide out?!?! So after a few seconds the synopsis will slide out on top of the poster or list? That could be pretty cool.

shaefurr

I think the idea was the poster would slide out and the synopsis would take its place, not sure if thats how it will actually end up though :)

Cheesegeezer

I was actually thinking if you press left or something would bring out more details.

techywarrior

That could work too. I'm used to using left/right on that type of view to get to the settings/top menu (since you obviously can't use up/down) but if you have another way to get back to the top nav menu then left could work.

I suppose the problem with it switching automatically after a few seconds would be when would it switch back (if ever)? Some people may not care as much about the text and want to see the poster. And if it switches back automatically would there be enough time for everyone to read all the text in the synopsis?

What about using a separate button to switch the poster/text? Not sure what buttons aren't being used for anything (*, etc.) but you may have to have instructions or something in small print otherwise people would never know how to do it.

Cheesegeezer

That could work too. I'm used to using left/right on that type of view to get to the settings/top menu (since you obviously can't use up/down) but if you have another way to get back to the top nav menu then left could work.

I suppose the problem with it switching automatically after a few seconds would be when would it switch back (if ever)? Some people may not care as much about the text and want to see the poster. And if it switches back automatically would there be enough time for everyone to read all the text in the synopsis?

What about using a separate button to switch the poster/text? Not sure what buttons aren't being used for anything (*, etc.) but you may have to have instructions or something in small print otherwise people would never know how to do it.

Well, currently Right takes you to the config panel.  left would put you in the overview mode,  in overview mode... up would then take you to the config panel and right would take you back to the list view.

I'm not keen on timers when it comes to viewing info, that's upto the user to decide, that's not my decision, it's ether all there or the user can select.

techywarrior

Well, currently Right takes you to the config panel.  left would put you in the overview mode,  in overview mode... up would then take you to the config panel and right would take you back to the list view.

Does that come with an instruction manual :P j/k I think that's how it works for most themes, or similar.

I'll definitely give this theme a shot when it's ready for testing.

Cheesegeezer

So here is concept to physical for list view, I've been working on some other views so haven't implemented the overview slide yet but you get the idea.

Need some of the Artwork @@shaefurr had in the original concept to complete but nearly there.

qMvTqav.jpg

Edited by Cheesegeezer
  • Like 1