Emby Server on Synology

rvmourik

Snapper

Is it possible to utilize the transcoding chip in the "play" versions with any of these packages?  I just bought a ds415play today and was curious if Emby will utilize the transcoding chip or not.

Angel1835

Okay, installed it on my DS511+

server is running and I installed 2 plugins. Now I get the message to restart the server to finish updating. But how do you do that?

I cannot find a restart button or something like that in the dashboard.

Probably a dumb question I guess.

I stopped the app on my synology but after doing that the app wouldn't restart so I had to reinstall again.

Edit 2: I stopped the MB app a 2nd time in package center and again it is impossible to get it up and running again. 

Remove the CoverArt DLL and restart again. 

If you use the original version from cytec CoverArt works after upgrading the mediabrowser sources

Edited by Angel1835

Angel1835

Is there any way to update to the last version of emby on a DS1512+ ?

i'm using the mediabrowser-cedarview-20150223-3.spk from cytec and its starting to get old, it's version 3.0.5530.19915.

​it's running ok except it sometime just stops or gets non responsive so i have to kill the process and restart it

I've installed the cytec version.

after that I stopped the mediabrowser

DL files https://github.com/MediaBrowser/MediaBrowser.Releases/raw/master/Server/MediaBrowser.Mono.zip

Upload the extracted files to /volume1/@appstore/mediabrowser/share/MBServer/

Start the server 

Worked for me!

hnelson

I've installed the cytec version.

after that I stopped the mediabrowser

DL files https://github.com/MediaBrowser/MediaBrowser.Releases/raw/master/Server/MediaBrowser.Mono.zip

Upload the extracted files to /volume1/@appstore/mediabrowser/share/MBServer/

Start the server 

Worked for me!

well did get the files copyed over too the nas in the right folder and now the emby server just stops right after i start it...

anyone have a clue to what i do wrong ???

Angel1835

@@hnelson

I think some logs would help.

In the folder "/volume1/@appstore/mediabrowser/var/logs/ " are the logs fom the synology-media-browser app

Angel1835

Updates from new version Version 3.0.5569.0 

Playback from Channels is now working.

Great Job 

you're missing the ImageMagick dependency. you need to install that.

What you're doing here is equivalent to the manual linux installation, so check the download page on the website and see the manual instructions. you need to make sure the required dependencies are installed.

Angel1835

I have this version of imagemagick installed http://cytec.us/spk/download/imagemagick_cedarview_6.9.0-1.spk 

and mono 3.10.0-4 the latest from synocommunity 

Still no go... the log-files look the same every time i try to start the server

looks like i just have too wait for the official release for synology too get the latest server version :-| 

I have no version from synocommunity of imagemagick. 

My shared object library is in /volume1/@appstore/mediabrowser/lib 

DiskStation> pwd
/volume1/@appstore/mediabrowser/lib
DiskStation> ll |grep libMagick
lrwxrwxrwx    1 1000     1000            26 Feb 23 20:06 libMagick++-6.Q16.so -> libMagick++-6.Q16.so.5.0.0
lrwxrwxrwx    1 1000     1000            26 Feb 23 20:06 libMagick++-6.Q16.so.5 -> libMagick++-6.Q16.so.5.0.0
-rwxr-xr-x    1 mediabro root        626408 Feb 23 20:32 libMagick++-6.Q16.so.5.0.0
lrwxrwxrwx    1 1000     1000            28 Feb 23 20:06 libMagickCore-6.Q16.so -> libMagickCore-6.Q16.so.2.0.0
lrwxrwxrwx    1 1000     1000            28 Feb 23 20:06 libMagickCore-6.Q16.so.2 -> libMagickCore-6.Q16.so.2.0.0
-rwxr-xr-x    1 mediabro root       4015992 Feb 23 20:32 libMagickCore-6.Q16.so.2.0.0
lrwxrwxrwx    1 1000     1000            28 Feb 23 20:06 libMagickWand-6.Q16.so -> libMagickWand-6.Q16.so.2.0.0
lrwxrwxrwx    1 1000     1000            28 Feb 23 20:06 libMagickWand-6.Q16.so.2 -> libMagickWand-6.Q16.so.2.0.0
-rwxr-xr-x    1 mediabro root       1286856 Feb 23 20:32 libMagickWand-6.Q16.so.2.0.0

if you're using Q16 you'll need to adjust the ImageMagickSharp.dll.config file inside the mono zip. it is pointing to Q8

• Like 1

hnelson

if you're using Q16 you'll need to adjust the ImageMagickSharp.dll.config file inside the mono zip. it is pointing to Q8

Thanks that did the trick,

now it's working

Gregoir3

Updates from new version Version 3.0.5569.0 

Playback from Channels is now working.

Great Job 

How did you do the update on your synology box?

simono5
For anyone whose still struggling I've managed to walk through the latest posts on this thread and work out how to get Embey Server working on my Synology.  The process I followed is summarised below.  Hopefully its helpful and people can get Embey Server running even without an offical Synology package.

Thanks to Luke, hnelson, Angel1835 for their helpful posts.

Install Mono (3.10) from the Syno Community.  You will need to add this to your Synology Package Centre.  The URL you need is;

Install Embey on you Synology manually.  I used this one;

But others are here;

Install ImageMagick on your Synology manually.  I used this one;

But others are here;

Nows a good a time as any to stop the Embey package from running on your Synology.  You can do this via the Package Centre.

Now download the latest stable release of Embey from here;

Next step is to update your Synology to the latest version of Embey.  I did this by installing WinSCP onto my laptop;

Once installed launch WinSCP and login by entering your server IP address, root as your username and your admin password.  Set file protocol as SCP.  Once logged in and in the right hand window navigate to;

/volume1/@appstore/mediabrowser/share/MBServer/ delete the contents of this folder.  Dont delete the folder (MBServer) itself.  Now copy and paste the Embey stable release you unzipped earlier into this folder.  You'll effectively replacing the old version with the latest stable release.

OK, we're nearly there.  Final step is to amend the ImageMagickSharp.dll.config file to point to Q16 and not Q08.  This file can be found here;

/Volume 1/@appstore/mediabrowser/share/MBSever/

Drag the ImageMagickSharp.dll.config file to your desktop and open it.  It should look like this;

<configuration>

<dllmap dll="CORE_RL_Wand_.dll" target="libMagickWand-6.Q08.so" os="linux"/>

<dllmap dll="CORE_RL_Wand_.dll" target="libMagickWand-6.so" os="freebsd,openbsd,netbsd"/>

<dllmap dll="CORE_RL_Wand_.dll" target="./MediaInfo/osx/libmediainfo.dylib" os="osx"/>

</configuration>

On the firs line change the Q08 to Q16 so it looks like this;

<dllmap dll="CORE_RL_Wand_.dll" target="libMagickWand-6.Q16.so" os="linux"/>

Save the file and copy it back to your Synology.

Close WinSCP and go back into your Synology Package Centre and restart Embey Server.

If you open a web browser and open page http://<Syno_IP_Address>:8096 you should get to the Embey Server config page.

Hopefully these instructions are accurate and you have some success.  Good luck!

Edited by simono5
  • Like 7

by the way if Q8 image magick is available you'll get better image processing performance. but either will work.

For power consumption & decluttering reasons, I've been thinking about buying a Synology NAS for a while & now that EMBY (great new name btw) is working, there are no reasons not to.  I'm considering a DS215J (the 4 bays seem poor value in comparison) but is it powerful enough?

I'd appreciate any feedback from anyone with experience.

Edited by 2010

Snapper

For power consumption & decluttering reasons, I've been thinking about buying a Synology NAS for a while & now that EMBY (great new name btw) is working, there are no reasons not to.  I'm considering a DS215J (the 4 bays seem poor value in comparison) but is it powerful enough?

I'd appreciate any feedback from anyone with experience.

The ds215j uses an ARM processor.  Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I don't believe there is a version of Emby to work with that version of linux.  I believe you will need a Diskstation with an x86 processor.  The cheapest Diskstation with an x86 processor is the ds214play model.

• Like 1

Emby can run on any architecture. You just have to figure out the dependencies.

• Like 1

PeteWhite67

For anyone whose still struggling I've managed to walk through the latest posts on this thread and work out how to get Embey Server working on my Synology.  The process I followed is summarised below.  Hopefully its helpful and people can get Embey Server running even without an offical Synology package.

<snip>

I've tried all the *.spk files for MediaBrowser on the Cytec site and none of the work on my DiskStation (DS414j with MINDSPEED Comcerto C2000 CPU @ 1.2GHz and 512MB RAM. DSM 5.1-5022 Update 4). Ay ideas?

Cheers,

Pete

Snapper

DS214play: ~60% CPU transcoding a movie in 720p to watch via webbrowser. 

Did the video stutter at all?  I get a fair amount of stuttering with a DS415play over a gige connection playing a dvd at 480p using webm.  It doesn't seem to matter if I have cpu throttling enabled or disabled.  It's unfortunate the transcoding processor isn't leveraged, because I can stream blu ray files just fine using video station at 1080p.

Pirlo1966

Remove the CoverArt DLL and restart again. 

If you use the original version from cytec CoverArt works after upgrading the mediabrowser sources

Reinstalled emby server a 3rd time on my NAS without installing coverart plugin and now all seems to be well.  What do you mean by 'upgrading the mediabrwoser sources'?

Yes, I think I use the original version from cytec. Anyway, it's there that I downloaded the x86 version of emby 

Pirlo1966

Once installed launch WinSCP and login by entering your server IP address, root as your username and your admin password.  Set file protocol as SCP.  Once logged in and in the right hand window navigate to;
/volume1/@appstore/mediabrowser/share/MBServer/ delete the contents of this folder.  Dont delete the folder (MBServer) itself.  Now copy and paste the Embey stable release you unzipped earlier into this folder.  You'll effectively replacing the old version with the latest stable release.

Thanks for this clear guide! When trying to delete the content of the MBServer folder I get a permission denied error message in WinSCP. In short, I cannot delete. I am the adminstrator of this NAS but it is clear I do not know what I am doing :-) Any ideas?

Edited by ehgeahrev