Emby Server on Synology

rvmourik

Snapper

I assume, though, at some point, an Emby install on the Synology will be as simple as a single executable that takes care of the backend files?  Just needs someone to compile it..?   

Well done packages will never be done that way.  Keeping the dependencies separate allows people to choose the versions of their choice.  It keeps things modular which is generally preferred.  Synology's DSM 5.2 beta supports Docker, and there is an Emby container for Docker available. You can review the instructions for that and see if it is more to your liking.

BTW, I installed the x64 package Luke linked to above, and it is working well.

Edited by Snapper

camielkb

Cool, thanks for the info! If you want to grab a server log and make note of the time you attempted to use the web interface, then maybe we can try and diagnose that issue. thanks.

I would like to and see if I can get that log, but unfortunatly after updating to the newest server (copy files from the mono release in the app folder on my Synolgy by using winscp) all the images dissapeared. Let's see if I can get a logfile. Will that work after restarting my server too?

Dhostetter1023

Which ImageMagick do I need to install for DS1515+, INTEL Atom C2538 processor? Really want to see if I can get this working.

I also assume I need to install the x64 modules for ffmpeg and emby. Just trying to verify so I can make sure I don't mess thing's up.

Thx

Which ImageMagick do I need to install for DS1515+, INTEL Atom C2538 processor? Really want to see if I can get this working.

I also assume I need to install the x64 modules for ffmpeg and emby. Just trying to verify so I can make sure I don't mess thing's up.

Thx

I would look at the manual linux install instructions on the website.

Snapper

Thx

You have an Avoton processor, but he doesn't have an Avoton arch type listed on his main repository.  He does however have an x64 ImageMagick package here.  If you were to unpack his x64 package, you would see that he lists "x86, avoton, cedarview, and bromolow" as supported arch types in that package.

BTW, you would have to really try to mess it up.  All of Cytek's packages have dependencies and supported arch types listed in the package, so one of two things will happen.  You will either get an error saying the arch type isn't supported or a particular dependency isn't installed, or it will work.

Edited by Snapper

hifiaudio2

Thanks for posting that ImageMagick link.   Cytek should update his instructions to point to that link for x64 installs.  The rest are accurate on the below copied post: 

i thought i'll give you a little update on this one:

1. I was able to compile ffmpeg with all neded libraries and yasm support for my 1513+ (x64)
  2. I created a PR for ImageMagick (which is also needed for emby to run)
  3. I created a PR for emby itself (which depends on ffmpeg ImageMagick and Mediainfo spk)

so... it looks pretty good for now :)
next step is to compile stuff for other arches and see if that works as well (hopefully) and then wait for the PR`s to be merged and the Packages to be published (which can take some time again)

if someone wants to test the whole thing:

1. Install Mono from SynoCommunity
  2. Install Mediainfo from SynoCommunity
  3. Install ImageMagick from my Repo https://cytec.us/spk/
  4. Download and Install ffmpeg from here: http://cytec.us/syno/test-spk/ffmpeg/
  5. Download and Install emby from here: http://cytec.us/syno/test-spk/emby/

hopefully that will work :)

NOTE: atm there are only x64 builds available for ffmpeg and emby but i'm currently compiling for some other arches too (which takes quite a long time for ffmpeg) which should pop up as soon as they are done :)

EDIT: @@rvmourik i just uploaded a build for armadaxp can you test it?

• Like 1

Thanks for posting that ImageMagick link.   Cytek should update his instructions to point to that link for x64 installs.  The rest are accurate on the below copied post: 

i thought i'll give you a little update on this one:

1. I was able to compile ffmpeg with all neded libraries and yasm support for my 1513+ (x64)
  2. I created a PR for ImageMagick (which is also needed for emby to run)
  3. I created a PR for emby itself (which depends on ffmpeg ImageMagick and Mediainfo spk)

so... it looks pretty good for now :)

next step is to compile stuff for other arches and see if that works as well (hopefully) and then wait for the PR`s to be merged and the Packages to be published (which can take some time again)

if someone wants to test the whole thing:

hopefully that will work :)

NOTE: atm there are only x64 builds available for ffmpeg and emby but i'm currently compiling for some other arches too (which takes quite a long time for ffmpeg) which should pop up as soon as they are done :)

EDIT: @@rvmourik i just uploaded a build for armadaxp can you test it?

Thank you!

Edomatic

Hi,

Since i am new to this thread, could anyone confirm to me if it would be worth installing Emby on synology DS415+ to handle the transcoding of the new HVEC (H265) 1080p file format?

1 stream would be enough :-)

Thanks for all your hard work and effort this is a great initiative ! :)

Snapper

Hi,

Since i am new to this thread, could anyone confirm to me if it would be worth installing Emby on synology DS415+ to handle the transcoding of the new HVEC (H265) 1080p file format?

1 stream would be enough :-)

Thanks for all your hard work and effort this is a great initiative ! :)

You may be able to go as high as 1080p/1mbps.  I had that unit for a couple weeks, and if I remember correctly that was the best I could get from it with H.264 files.  When it comes to transcoding, I think that unit suffers from lack of memory.  I have seen posts from people that have done a memory upgrade that have gotten better performance, like two simultaneous 1080p transcodes.  Unfortunately, Synology has made it so that a memory upgrade will void your warranty.  :(

Edited by Snapper

Dhostetter1023

Followed the steps above and everything installed ok.

Do I have to add an account on the Diskstation to allow the media server to see my movies?

When I go to add the directory it says the path doesn't exsist but I can see and access it from my Windows PC.

I'm thinking its a priviledge issue.

Suggestions?

Edit: Also when I click network under "Select Path" my diskstation doesn't show.

Edit: Tried typing the path in manually and still get path doesn't exist.

Edit: Checked the logs and do see some errors. Here is a copy of the error log:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17522322/Errors.txt

Hopefully someone can help. I would love to get this up and running.

Edited by Dhostetter1023

Snapper

Your videos must be assigned at least read access to the "users" group before Emby will see the folders.  I have never had any luck using UNC paths with Emby installed on my Synology, so use the local path and then add path substitution for direct streaming.  I am not sure if it is me, something to do with Synology and DSM, or all linux installs.  I never took the time to look into it, since what I mentioned works just fine.

Edited by Snapper
  • Like 1

RobsterUK

I've been watching this thread with interest for a while. But as i only had a DS211 was hoping the server installation would work OK just to provide a backend for storing movies and metadata.

Thinking about requirements I have been playing with an XPEnology installation (synology DSM installed on Intel hardware) on an old PC i had lying around. (Core 2 Duo E7200 @ 2.5Ghz, 4 GB RAM)

I've been testing the cytec packages from above.

I'm happy to report that the installation went OK.
I have used the metadata manager to fetch images from multiple sources.

I have tested transcoding to the web client in Firefox and to an iOS device (internal wireless LAN).

Both worked OK, although I could only use 720p @ 1mbps when playing a couple of test movies MKV with H264 (sorry, not sure what file details are).

But transcoding worked ok, and processes quit when file stopped playing.

Mono seems to be RAM hungry, utilising around 240MB all of the time (which would be an issue on a DS211).

But thanks for all of the great work so far :)

Edited by RobsterUK

Dhostetter1023

Your videos must be assigned at least read access to the "users" group before Emby will see the folders.  I have never had any luck using UNC paths with Emby installed on my Synology, so use the local path and then add path substitution for direct streaming.  I am not sure if it is me, something to do with Synology and DSM, or all linux installs.  I never took the time to look into it, since what I mentioned works just fine.

That did the trick!

I see that there is a new server version available.

Do we need to wait for a version specific for our Synology units to be posted or is there a version that we can use?

Snapper

That did the trick!

I see that there is a new server version available.

Do we need to wait for a version specific for our Synology units to be posted or is there a version that we can use?

You can update using the latest mono release from github right away if you want to do it manually.  Otherwise, you need to wait if you want to update it using the standard Synology package update process. 

• Like 1

It could use an update to the latest version, but that's excellent.

rutsche

I tried to install emby server on my DS215j yesterday, but i was unable to find ImageMagick and ffmpeg for Armada375. Are there any plans for this cpu in the future?

Vlaves

@@Luke is it possible to hide those "@eaDir"-Directories on a Synology NAS? This is really annoying at times. That (and the missing Hardware Acceleration on a DS214play) would make Emby Server a really perfect peace of software :)

Thanks for all your effort here and all your support :)

Regards

Vlaves

Darkjeje

Hello,

I'm french, so sorry for my english.

I followed the topic for my DS214Play :

But I do not play my videos on my raspberry and not on firefox .
Whence could come the problem?

Thanks for your help

demon1300

It could use an update to the latest version, but that's excellent.

I concur.  Any chance of getting the cytec repo updated to the latest version?

@@Luke is it possible to hide those "@eaDir"-Directories on a Synology NAS? This is really annoying at times. That (and the missing Hardware Acceleration on a DS214play) would make Emby Server a really perfect peace of software :)

Regards

Vlaves

yes

Vlaves

Regards

Vlaves

yes

Thanks for the reply :) But I guess this "yes" was just for the "@eaDir"-Directories and probably not also for Hardware Acceleration on the DS214play?

Thanks for your great work here again :)

Vlaves

can you explain the eadir in more detail? as for hardware acceleration, i don't think Emby Server in particular needs to worry about it too much. Instead the best way will be to make sure it is available in the version of ffmpeg that is supplied on the command line.

Vlaves

can you explain the eadir in more detail? as for hardware acceleration, i don't think Emby Server in particular needs to worry about it too much. Instead the best way will be to make sure it is available in the version of ffmpeg that is supplied on the command line.

it is a directory which is used by the synoogy linux. in some dirs of my shared folders there are always directories called "@eaDir".

So it is a constelation like this

/volume1/Movies/

/volume1/Movies/@eaDir

/volume1/Movies/Avatar

/volume1/Movies/Batman Begins

/volume1/Movies/Batman Begins/@eaDir

/volume1/Movies/Bourne Identity

/volume1/Movies/Django Unchained

So those directories get displayed in the web interface and in the metadata manager. They are not in every directory or subdirectory as you see in the example above, but they should be ignored. And I don't know if it is safe to place inside the ".ignore"-File as I don't know exactly how this directory is used by synology.

Hope it explains it better now and you can support here :) Thanks again :)

Regrads

Vlaves

Edited by Vlaves