FreeNAS plugin

Luke

MRobi

To complicate things, and depending on the version of FreeBSD you are running, there are two ways to create a jail:

If there's one thing I've learned using FreeNAS for the past few years is that some people LOVE to complicate things.

I agree with you both that the best way to install Emby on FreeNAS at the moment is to do it manually using the new iocage jails. Anybody installing using the plugin will be left with emby running on a warden jail which will be obsolete come the next version of FreeNAS. Unfortunately, the manual method is more complicated and there really isn't a simple step by step guide for anyone to follow.

I should have recorded the steps I took, but I believe I used a method that combines what you both are saying. I manually created the jail, mounted the storage and used the latest version of emby such as @@makarai and I also re-installed ffmpeg from ports and re-compiled as suggested by @@adrianwi

MRobi

I definitely think one should be posted here as well.

Although i'm still not sure if your way would be the "simplest", and aside from the configuration of the ffmpeg which must be done, does it accomplish anything that a simple pkg update pkg upgrade would not? I ask this because I'm really not sure.

Makarai's is a little simpler for the FreeNAS rookie but seems to be  missing the step of compiling the ffmpeg and is lacking the explanation on what needs to be customized to fit the specific users install.

I think the 2 of you should put your heads together and make a definitive how-to guide :)

makarai

thats a nice write up. 

When i tried to install emby the last time with 

iocage create –name “<JAIL_NAME>” -r 11.1-RELEASE ip4_addr=”vnet0|<JAIL_IP>/24″ defaultrouter=”<IPV4_DEFAULT_GATEWAY>″ vnet=”on” allow_raw_sockets=”1″ boot=”on”

The jail would not acquire an ip and thus would not connect, i had to add the tuneables for it to work. Did you not have this problem?

Also somehow i believe the standard emby user has the UID of 986,  would it not make sense to change it to the one that owns the media datasets? I always had problems if i did not do this. :(

Edited by makarai

adrianwi

Thanks.

I've not had any problems creating iocage jails in 11.1-U4, although not sure if that's because I'd upgraded from 9.10.1 where I'd also created some iohyve/bhyve VMs.  I do have 3 tunables, but 2 were added for iohyve and one to suppress arp messages:

I'll add something in about permissions, as I forgot that.  I rebuilt my jail pointing to an existing 'user dataset' where the permissions were already set to emby:emby and I'd created an emby user in FreeNAS with a UID of 989.

MRobi

thats a nice write up.

When i tried to install emby the last time with

iocage create –name “<JAIL_NAME>” -r 11.1-RELEASE ip4_addr=”vnet0|<JAIL_IP>/24″ defaultrouter=”<IPV4_DEFAULT_GATEWAY>″ vnet=”on” allow_raw_sockets=”1″ boot=”on”
The jail would not acquire an ip and thus would not connect, i had to add the tuneables for it to work. Did you not have this problem?

Also somehow i believe the standard emby user has the UID of 986, would it not make sense to change it to the one that owns the media datasets? I always had problems if i did not do this. :(

I had to add tunables as well for vnet to work properly. It's a known bug right now for iocage jails using vnet.

I found for permissions the simplest method was to allow group access to your data, create a group named media, and then add the app's user into the group. That way, you don't need to mess with individual app uid's and changing which user the app runs under

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

makarai

I actually followed this guide to the letter it worked well. For me the easiest method was to use a UID for emby that had already data access.

pw useradd -n emby -u 1000 -d /nonexistent -s /usr/sbin/nologin
pw groupmod emby -n emby -g 1000 #1000 is my UID and GID
pw usermod emby -n emby -u 1000 -g 1000
chown -R emby:emby /var/db/emby-server
sysrc 'emby_server_user=emby'

PhilWhite

Just wondering, but why use vnet instead of the "shared ip" approach?  Does it provide a significant advantage or just complicate matters?

constrict

Just wondering, but why use vnet instead of the "shared ip" approach?  Does it provide a significant advantage or just complicate matters?

If your not running multiple copies of applications it doesn't really matter which you choose (unless you are tight on IP address reservations and need to limit how many you use). VNET allows you to have individualized IP addresses for each jail, so if you have the same application running twice the port in use will not cause a conflict. That's what I use it for anyways, but as I said it doesn't really matter otherwise.

• Like 1

PhilWhite

If your not running multiple copies of applications it doesn't really matter which you choose (unless you are tight on IP address reservations and need to limit how many you use). VNET allows you to have individualized IP addresses for each jail, so if you have the same application running twice the port in use will not cause a conflict. That's what I use it for anyways, but as I said it doesn't really matter otherwise.

Thank you.  Sounds like a good use; not something I need but it does sound somewhat powerful.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
makarai

@@Luke can we get a dedicated FreeNAS-Plugin_Beta Sticky and Stable Sticky so bug reports can be easily. Also it would be easy to find for other people, instead of going to page 32 to find beta 31 bugreports. Just as a suggestion

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, I've been running Emby and Plex on a FreeNAS box for a couple years now and have quite an elaborate setup including three HDhomerun tuners providing six tuners fed from a 100' TV tower and three large bowtie antennas at the top. I get around 50 OTA channels and also have my music library, blu ray movies and other media setup. I sure don't want to have to rebuild or have to uninstall the old warden type jails and setup from scratch. I've noticed that the "Plugins" page where Emby is listed stopped updating earlier this year. I'm reading that I should change over to IOCAGE and will have to update Emby via command line. I'm not a linux guru but can follow specific instructions such as I found here: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/58920-manually-upgrading-emby-on-freenas-or-freebsd/ 

My question is: how can I backup my existing installation of Emby and Plex (both use the same set of media folders) and setup this "iocage" and restore my setup? Is this possible? The plex installation I could live without but the Emby with the TV Guide data setup, Tuners etc. took many days to get right. Please let me know how I could do this, step by step, command line by command line. Thanks so much in advance, i'm hoping someone can help, 

If it matters, I have a paid Emby Premiere subscription. Does that entitle me to better support?  

Kelly

Edited by wkellyo
  • Like 1

I, too, would love to hear from somebody who has moved their emby setup to an iocage jail!

A detailed step-by-step tutorial would be awesome!

Guys, I've been running Emby and Plex on a FreeNAS box for a couple years now and have quite an elaborate setup including three HDhomerun tuners providing six tuners fed from a 100' TV tower and three large bowtie antennas at the top. I get around 50 OTA channels and also have my music library, blu ray movies and other media setup. I sure don't want to have to rebuild or have to uninstall the old warden type jails and setup from scratch. I've noticed that the "Plugins" page where Emby is listed stopped updating earlier this year. I'm reading that I should change over to IOCAGE and will have to update Emby via command line. I'm not a linux guru but can follow specific instructions such as I found here: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/58920-manually-upgrading-emby-on-freenas-or-freebsd/ 

My question is: how can I backup my existing installation of Emby and Plex (both use the same set of media folders) and setup this "iocage" and restore my setup? Is this possible? The plex installation I could live without but the Emby with the TV Guide data setup, Tuners etc. took many days to get right. Please let me know how I could do this, step by step, command line by command line. Thanks so much in advance, i'm hoping someone can help, 

If it matters, I have a paid Emby Premiere subscription. Does that entitle me to better support?  

Kelly

Hi, does this thread help answer about the jail?

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/63110-freenas-replicate-all-unique-emby-settings-metadata-to-new-jail/

Thanks !

I, too, would love to hear from somebody who has moved their emby setup to an iocage jail!

A detailed step-by-step tutorial would be awesome!

To my knowledge there's no simple way to upgrade or "move" warden jails to iocage jails. I believe the old warden jails need to be destroyed and new iocage jails created.

With that said, I've implemented a few things that make it very easy to destroy a jail and reload it without losing any of your settings.

Following the steps used in this thread

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/fn11-1-iocage-jails-plex-tautulli-sonarr-radarr-lidarr-jackett-ombi-transmission-organizr.58/

If you create a separate dataset outside of your jails to house your configs for all of your jails, you can easily mount and then reference to the mounted folder. This way if you destroy your jail for any reason and load a new one, you simply have to mount your config folder again and away you go.

In my specific case I have my emby configs housed at /mnt/MEDIA/apps/emby

So the first step is copying all the files inside your jail located at /var/db/emby-server to whatever you've created as a dataset to house your configs.

When creating the iocage jail I run the commands:

iocage fstab -a emby /mnt/MEDIA/apps/emby /config nullfs rw 0 0

iocage exec emby chown -R emby:emby /config

This points the /config folder inside my iocage jail to the emby config folder I have outside the jail and gives the emby user ownership of the linked folder.

Then I simply edit the rc.d file and change 

: ${emby_server_data_dir:="/var/db/emby-server"}

to

: ${emby_server_data_dir:="/config"}

This tells emby to pull it's config files from the /config folder (which links to your config files on your separate dataset) instead of it's default location.

You can do this with all of your apps so if you have any sort of failure in your jail you can quickly and easily reload all your configs

@@MRobi, thank you for sharing your jail management strategy!

I'd rather keep everything in one jail because I'm not so much into experimenting, but what you're suggesting totally makes sense.

I'm going to take a closer look at the steps you've described in detail. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

@@josh4trunks

I am using an Samsung android phone with the latest emby app 3.8.34 and it doesnt connect to the emby plugin on my freenas 11.1-U6 because its only on version 3.3.1.0

Josh when you get a chance can you please update the plugin for FreeNAS 11.1

I know FreeNAS 11.2 has new way of handling plugins but there is no way im upgrading to FreeNAS 11.2 until its fully baked and stable and they are only on RC 1 right now so hopefully this will be the last time you need to update the FreeNAS 11.1 plugin

Thanks in Advance.

Edited by Eddie

josh4trunks

@@josh4trunks

I am using an Samsung android phone with the latest emby app 3.8.34 and it doesnt connect to the emby plugin on my freenas 11.1-U6 because its only on version 3.3.1.0

Josh when you get a chance can you please update the plugin for FreeNAS 11.1

I know FreeNAS 11.2 has new way of handling plugins but there is no way im upgrading to FreeNAS 11.1 until its fully baked and stable and they are only on RC 1 right now so hopefully this will be the last time you need to update the FreeNAS 11.1 plugin

Thanks in Advance.

I'll try to get something built and updated this week.

So apparently the latest version of chrome Version 70.0.3538.77 (Official Build) (64-bit) on my Kubuntu machine doesnt even scroll the emby server 3.3.1.0 webpage anymore on my desktop... i have to use a firefox browser to access my media now... there must of been some huge change

I'm stuck with this version using emby on my freenas 11.1-u6... huge changes with freenas 11.2 still in Release Candidate and I most likely wont upgrade for a few months until 11.2 is rock solid so I'm kinda stuck for now...