FreeNAS plugin

Luke

I'm running the latest stable build of latest version of freenas and upgraded from latest emby build to version 60 and it went smooth for me.. thanks again..

What build of freenas are you running?

Edited by Eddie

eraser8

I'm running the latest stable build of latest version of freenas and upgraded from latest emby build to version 60 and it went smooth for me.. thanks again..

What build of freenas are you running?

Glad it was smooth for you! I run the latest stable version too of freenas. I'm surprised to get an error... Normally, it is always smooth...

I'll retry tomorrow because tonight I have a Christmas party at my home. So, I don't want to risk emby crash during the retry. Currently, it works with 3.2.36. So, let's retry tomorrow!!

Do you have special procedure when you update?

Thanks

eraser8

So.... Let me give you some feedback. After take a closer look to the freenas jails, it seems that I had some program updated like python 3.6 instead of 2.7. This upgrade was the cause of my problem. I reinstall a fresh Emby plugin version and it installed great.

• Like 1

I have a question, or a problem really.

I've had upgraded my freenas from 9.3 to 9.11 about a month ago, and all went fine, I kept my existing jail which housed my emby (it was originally created via the plugin).  Emby has been running fine, no major issues.

However, I know there are some significant changes in the way jails are based from 9.3 to 9.11, so my intent was to create a new separate emby in a new jail from the plugin.  I have no problems starting from scratch to rebuild my emby setup within the new type jails in 9.11.  In fact, I'd like to start over because all this is WAY over my head. 

I've selected to install emby from the plugin, which in turn creates a brand new jail in my 9.11 freenas, and everything seems to be fine.  After the download it installs correctly, or at least tells me it has installed the plugin correctly and I can see the new jail and the plugin in the freenas gui. 

However, the plugin service is OFF after the install, and if I then try to turn in ON, it comes back after a long delay saying "some error has occurred"  (yep, quite helpful response).

Any helpful hints?

edit:  I should also add that the original emby jail is still working fine.  The issue is only when trying to do a new install via the 3.2.60 plugin into a new separate jail.  So I have emby_1 (the name of the jail created from 9.3 freenas) working fine but emby_2 (the new one Im trying to create) will never turn On.

EDIT:  ALL IS WELL!  I went ahead and deleted the install and tried it all again.  I did have to stop the jail (after the install succeeded, again) and then restart and after that I was able to start the plugin service.  Very odd, but I finally got it working.

Edited by gmacman

• 4 weeks later...
rodger.howard

Hi. Does anyone know who is responsible for the Freenas plugin?  Now that 3.2.70 is out I am wondering what the schedule is for an updated emby plugin for Freenas.  Do the good people at Freenas write the plugin or is that published from the emby team?

Is there a guide on how to patch / update a running emby server on Freenas 11.x?

When a newer emby plugin version is available what is the process - uninstall the old one and new instal the new one or is there an upgrade procedure guide (for the Freenas plugin) anywhere?

I will also ask the Freenas forum ;-)

Any guidance is most welcome!

Don't let the numbers fool you sometimes there are big number differences and it's only 1 release in difference...

Usually the emby plugin is a couple weeks behind the latest release

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby/releases

I was actually wondering if emby would consider ubuntus method of snap packaging in the future would be nice if freenas integrated that in the future

At some point we will look into a faster release process, although i'm not sure what approach will be used yet.

Baenwort

Hi. Does anyone know who is responsible for the Freenas plugin?  Now that 3.2.70 is out I am wondering what the schedule is for an updated emby plugin for Freenas.  Do the good people at Freenas write the plugin or is that published from the emby team?

Is there a guide on how to patch / update a running emby server on Freenas 11.x?

When a newer emby plugin version is available what is the process - uninstall the old one and new instal the new one or is there an upgrade procedure guide (for the Freenas plugin) anywhere?

I will also ask the Freenas forum ;-)

Any guidance is most welcome!

When a newer version is available for FreeNAS you will see an update button in the installed plug-ins window. Click the "ON" button in that window to turn the emby server off and then click the update button. It will then do all the work for you and when finished you just need to click the "OFF" button and the emby server will start up and be running the new version.

Technically just pushing update should do this all for you but I've encountered no problems in the past when I manually shut down the emby instance and then updated. However, I have had to reinstall emby twice in the last three years because of corrupted updates when I just pushed the update button.

• 2 weeks later...

I certainly appreciate the efforts of the current Emby plugin maintainer @josh4trunks

However, since FreeNAS latest supports "docker"-type distribution, should I give Emby "docker" install priority over the onboard FreeNAS plugin?

Background of this question is my "uneasiness" about the current plugin. I mean, trying to run Emby on FreeBSD based system is kind of a pain, isn't it? As a general rule of thumb. Please correct me if wrong.

Further, since upgrading to the latest (plugin) shipping (v.3.2.60.0) I've been facing issues even to connect to Emby. Back on previous versions under the same configuration, things were more stable.

Appreciated.

Edited by fgs

I know it's not the best option but anytime i have slow down issues or playback issues ( only a couple times in the last few years) with emby I just nuke it and install from scratch and all the issues dissapear

Ideally from a FreeNAS user perspective would be for the plugin to run pristine, BUT... I'm inclined to take the "Docker" option for a spin after that many years with the plugin.

Ive always wondered how system resources are handled with a plugin vs docker... is ram handled differently for a plugin vs docker.. is 1 more efficient... I'm running the bare minimum 8 gigs so I wonder how that will affect me

• Like 1

josh4trunks

I certainly appreciate the efforts of the current Emby plugin maintainer @josh4trunks

However, since FreeNAS latest supports "docker"-type distribution, should I give Emby "docker" install priority over the onboard FreeNAS plugin?

Background of this question is my "uneasiness" about the current plugin. I mean, trying to run Emby on FreeBSD based system is kind of a pain, isn't it? As a general rule of thumb. Please correct me if wrong.

Further, since upgrading to the latest (plugin) shipping (v.3.2.60.0) I've been facing issues even to connect to Emby. Back on previous versions under the same configuration, things were more stable.

Appreciated.

I'm not sure what process is a pain, at least from a users perspective?

There is the extra pain since i need to package the plugin, where the docker image can be built once and ran anywhere.

Edited by josh4trunks
  • Like 1

josh4trunks

I know it's not the best option but anytime i have slow down issues or playback issues ( only a couple times in the last few years) with emby I just nuke it and install from scratch and all the issues dissapear

Im not sure why you are experiencing slowdown. maybe a larger/staler metadata database? but reinstalling the plugin doesnt change the application files, so your essentially just wiping /var/db/emby-server (your metadata) and restarting the service.

have you ever tried in the case of a slow down restarting the service on the Plugins > Installed tab.

• Like 1

josh4trunks

Ive always wondered how system resources are handled with a plugin vs docker... is ram handled differently for a plugin vs docker.. is 1 more efficient... I'm running the bare minimum 8 gigs so I wonder how that will affect me

The plugin runs directly on the FreeNAS kernel and is more efficient. Docker images nearly always (including the emby image) are packaged for linux, and go through an additional abstraction layer.
  • Like 1

I've been running emby happily for a few years and constantly use the upgrade plugin option on freenas... I remember 1 time I had issues playing certain movies which a fresh install fixed immediatley.... the other time I did a fresh install was because the system was loading painfully slow when searching for movies but movies played fine... each time i try restarting the plugin and the physical machine and it didn't help... I'm not much of a trouble shooter if a reboot doesn't fix something and I'm not getting an error I can post a simple nuke and pave works for me

Edited by Eddie

Okay @josh4trunks . Let's not dwell on my "perceptions" and stick to troubleshooting the latest plugin shipping (v.3.2.60.0) because just by hitting "update" to that, I've lost 1) Emby on the android client, 2) Emby web on my chromebox, being left with Emby web on my *nix systems (sorry, no other crap here, a.k.a MSFT). And that's pretty much where I can test on.

Where should we start? Quite a few " System.IO.IOException: The authentication or decryption has failed. ---> Mono.Security.Protocol.Tls.TlsException: The authentication or decryption has failed. " in my logs.

Edited by fgs

Okay @josh4trunks . Let's not dwell on my "perceptions" and stick to troubleshooting the latest plugin shipping (v.3.2.60.0) because just by hitting "update" to that, I've lost 1) Emby on the android client, 2) Emby web on my chromebox, being left with Emby web on my *nix systems (sorry, no other crap here, a.k.a MSFT). And that's pretty much where I can test on.

Where should we start? Quite a few " System.IO.IOException: The authentication or decryption has failed. ---> Mono.Security.Protocol.Tls.TlsException: The authentication or decryption has failed. " in my logs.

@@fgs please attach the complete emby server log. thanks.

I find it strange that accessing emby via the browser only works on a linux system and not the chromebox... I'm sure you have tried it but you didn't mention if you can ping the emby box with your chrome box and phone... are you accessing using hostnames or ip address?

Edited by Eddie

• 2 weeks later...
BigFrosty92

When I try to skip chapters in a video file, it takes me to the next item in the playlist (e.g. the next episode of a series). This is frustrating to me because I really don't like having to fast forward through recaps and theme songs and all that, and I went to painstaking effort of adding chapter markers to several of my files which lacked them specifically for that purpose. I don't know if this is an issue with Emby in general or with the plugin, but if you could point me to a fix I would greatly appreciate it.

When I try to skip chapters in a video file, it takes me to the next item in the playlist (e.g. the next episode of a series). This is frustrating to me because I really don't like having to fast forward through recaps and theme songs and all that, and I went to painstaking effort of adding chapter markers to several of my files which lacked them specifically for that purpose. I don't know if this is an issue with Emby in general or with the plugin, but if you could point me to a fix I would greatly appreciate it.

The button in the video player you're referring to is for next/previous track in the play queue.

• 4 weeks later...