FreeNAS plugin

Luke

We're here to help, but since you're not using an official install method that makes it difficult to troubleshoot. I would suggest installing from freebsd ports.

hjason7812

We're here to help, but since you're not using an official install method that makes it difficult to troubleshoot. I would suggest installing from freebsd ports.

Yeah there's a problem with that.. There is no official install for emby anymore.. This whole freebsd ports doesn't work provide a link to install that would make it so much easier on people and yourself..

soloam

I installed some months ago a version of the package to the freenas iocage jail that I got here! Installing from the Plugins list did not work! But now I don't get the updates! Can I install it from the Plugins or by the freebsd ports?

I'm running 3.6.0.75

Thank you

hjason7812

Why do you feel there's no official install?

Because an official install is from the plugins from freenas gui. Every time i install through shell from a pkg install it isn't official

hjason7812

Just read it nothing i didn't already know. It is about the beta..

I'm just going to install plex until you get your act together and make emby available on the plugins list again on freenas gui. i love emby but it keeps messing up and there's no official install on freenas it is going to hurt emby in the long run because plex has their latest update file on the plugins list.. no reason why you can't do the same..

Edited by hjason7812

That is not about the beta. Did you see this part?

The plugin version number still shows 3.5.3.0 in FreeNAS, that's why I wanted to go with manual install.  I just installed it and I see now that there's an update to 4.0 available.

hjason7812

That is not about the beta. Did you see this part?

Uh yes the whole page says beta all over it. And yes i know the plugin is old because you don't update it. I know this.

You need to update it because it makes it easier to install. It is a one click install. Who wouldn't want to have that? Smh

rjua22

4.1.0.12 is asking about whether you want to ignore a kernel mismatch (i'm running 11.2 U2.1)  - and after you go ahead the emby crashes and doesn't recover even if you revert to a previous version. The only fix so far was to delete the jail and recreate and reinstall emby 3.5.3.0 .

I second this. Yesterday I accidentally upgraded to emby 4.1.0.12 and noticed during package installation that it requires FreeBSD 12. It was already too late and I ended up with a broken installation. EmbyServer is still startable, but the process crashes as soon as it has to load pictures or it has to playback media files. According to the logs, anything related to ffmpeg ends with an error (ExitCode != 0) and probably some unexpected behaviour that crashed the whole process. It's still possible to navigate to the settings panel, because there are no dependancies to ffmpeg binaries.

What's the latest version of emby Pre-release that is compatible to FreeBSD 11.2? Where can I download the corresponding file, it seems only the latest version is available on GitHub.

• 3 weeks later...
lolzor

I second this. Yesterday I accidentally upgraded to emby 4.1.0.12 and noticed during package installation that it requires FreeBSD 12. It was already too late and I ended up with a broken installation. EmbyServer is still startable, but the process crashes as soon as it has to load pictures or it has to playback media files. According to the logs, anything related to ffmpeg ends with an error (ExitCode != 0) and probably some unexpected behaviour that crashed the whole process. It's still possible to navigate to the settings panel, because there are no dependancies to ffmpeg binaries.

What's the latest version of emby Pre-release that is compatible to FreeBSD 11.2? Where can I download the corresponding file, it seems only the latest version is available on GitHub.

I third this. Would it be possible to keep giving us all the fixes that we can install on the latest stable versions of FreeNAS? Or have a separate page from the freebsd page that lists the latest compatible version for FreeNAS 11.2.

adrianwi

FreeNAS is always going to be behind the curve when it comes to the release version of FreeBSD.

I don't know what the mix of users is between FreeBSD and FreeNAS, but it certainly makes sense for the emby developers to try and maintain a single version for both.

On that basis, and given that it's possible to run jails on previous, but not future, versions, surely it makes sense to build for the version of FreeBSD that FreeNAS is currently running, and not the latest version of FreeBSD?

• Like 1

I have been reading some of this topic and as someone who is new to FreeNAS, and new to Emby, can someone please explain (in simple terms) why the FreeNAS plugin does not seem to be updated and working? I was told (by Luke) that the problems I was having would be solved by 3.6 and that it would be ready very soon. But every time I look the official plugin has not been updated. I removed the old plugin and have been waiting for one that works.

Does it mean that I should just use Plex?

I don't know how to read the situation. FreeNAS is now my main file server and I don't want to mess it up by running shell commands etc. that may, or may not, be supported. Is Emby serious about the plugin or not? From what I have read in this topic I cannot tell.

It is not a criticism, it is just a question. I thought Emby looked better than Plex but everywhere on YouTube I see people using the Plex plugin and it just seems to work. Months after having problems with Emby it seems no further forward. Could someone please explain what the real situation is? Is it no longer supported? I'm at a loss as to why the plugin available from the FreeNAS system is still available when it doesn't work. What am I not understanding?

Is this because Emby has been updated for FreeBSD and FreeNAS is on a difference FreeBSD core? If that is the case, then how is Plex handling it?

makarai

I have been reading some of this topic and as someone who is new to FreeNAS, and new to Emby, can someone please explain (in simple terms) why the FreeNAS plugin does not seem to be updated and working? I was told (by Luke) that the problems I was having would be solved by 3.6 and that it would be ready very soon. But every time I look the official plugin has not been updated. I removed the old plugin and have been waiting for one that works.

Does it mean that I should just use Plex?

I don't know how to read the situation. FreeNAS is now my main file server and I don't want to mess it up by running shell commands etc. that may, or may not, be supported. Is Emby serious about the plugin or not? From what I have read in this topic I cannot tell.

It is not a criticism, it is just a question. I thought Emby looked better than Plex but everywhere on YouTube I see people using the Plex plugin and it just seems to work. Months after having problems with Emby it seems no further forward. Could someone please explain what the real situation is? Is it no longer supported? I'm at a loss as to why the plugin available from the FreeNAS system is still available when it doesn't work. What am I not understanding?

Is this because Emby has been updated for FreeBSD and FreeNAS is on a difference FreeBSD core? If that is the case, then how is Plex handling it?

To explain it quickly, the official FreeNAS plugin repository is maintained by the FreeNAS guys. The FreeNAS plugin repository has as its base Freshports, (https://www.freshports.org/multimedia/emby-server), Freshports is maintained by the Emby people, Freshports has been updated a long time ago, but the FreeNAS people have not updated their plugin repository. Right now its really up to the FreeNAS people to update on their end. 

To give you an example with the plex plugin. Plex Plugin version in FreeNAS  1.14.1.5488 last  updated in Feb,   Freshports Plexserver version 1.15.2.793 updated a couple of days ago. i.e. FreeNAS (as usual) takes some time to update their repositories.

Cheers

FreeNAS at its heart is of course a NAS system, the plugins and media services you get are not prioritized, what is prioritized is data safety for production server, and not media server quality.

Edited by makarai

gbarone123

DLD,

One thing I’ll add to what Makarai said is that you shouldn’t be making any shell commands on the base OS. Create a jail and run all your commands from the jail shell. It’s a sandbox, so nothing you do there will affect the base OS of FreeNAS. If you mess it up, delete the jail and try again.

There are several threads on this forum for doing a manual install in a newly created iocage jail.

Edited by gbarone123

makarai

To write another tutorial that works but is not as convieniet (go to the next post for the ez solution):

To Create Jail

• Open FreeNAS GUI
  • Click on Jails
  • Click on ADD
  • Type Jail-Name "e.g. Emby-server-Test-Jail" and Release 11.2
  • Click Next
  • Click DHCP and VNET
  • Click Next
  • Click Submit
  • Wait until Jail appears in Jail TAB
  • Click Jails
  • Click 3 dots on newley Created Emby Jail
  • Click in jail dropdown menu SHELL
  • Shell opens and should read root@Emby-server-Test-Jail
  • Install packages of your desire from that shell. (Sandbox system)

To Get Emby up and running

• Open Jail shell:

• type
    pkg update

• type
    pkg install nano

• type
    nano /etc/pkg/FreeBSD.conf
  • change the word "quarterly" to "latest" 

• type
    pkg update

• type
    pkg install emby-server
  • yes
  • wait
  • type 
    service emby-server onestart
  • open http://jailip:8096
  • profit

Done

Alternatively you can install an old plex version or wait until FreeNAS realizes that plugins are out of date!

Edited by makarai

makarai

The Second option is to disregard whatever i have written and use the script that still works perfectly fine:

Last tested today on FreeNAS-11.2-U3

Install LATEST STABLE (4.0.2.0)

Hit SHELL on the left side in the Navigation bar in FreeNAS: and type the following (it will do all the things from the previous post)

Type:

1. cd /tmp
  2. wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ma-karai/iocage-plugin-emby/master/emby-server.json
  3. iocage fetch -P dhcp=on vnet=on bpf=yes allow_raw_sockets=1 -n emby-server.json --branch 'master' 
Edited by makarai

Thank you. Now it makes sense. Is there anything I can do to get the FreeNAS guys to update or is it best to follow your instructions? It seems a real shame for both Emby and FreeNAS that it is not updated.

makarai

Thank you. Now it makes sense. Is there anything I can do to get the FreeNAS guys to update or is it best to follow your instructions? It seems a real shame for both Emby and FreeNAS that it is not updated.

Ha, i am equally active in both forums, bug tracker and so on. Not sure what we can do at this point, bnesides wait :D

Edited by makarai

makarai

Apparently there is also a GPL licensing issue, so we might not see emby as a plugin within freeNAS anytime soon. So the update is blocked from FreeNAS admins

Dont ask me what that means

https://redmine.ixsystems.com/issues/70842

https://web.archive.org/web/20181225073326/https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby/issues/3075

https://web.archive.org/web/20181212100152/https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby/issues/3479

Edited by makarai
  • Like 1

I erroneously had been putting my frustrations with Emby. The issue is Freenas.  The entire not updating while moving to 11.1 was ages.  Then now not updating due to license. It feels like over a year now there have been issues with not working on apps or kodi. Or not being able to play. Etc.  I give up on the plugin.  Unfortunately the last freenas update broke jails. So rolling back and can make a test jail and follow instructions on how to get around the team at freenas..  Really wish I went a different route than freenas and their jails and plugins..   Emby and Kodi are awesome. If i could just host a stable server that can be updated to keep up with all the players updates.

To write another tutorial that works but is not as convieniet (go to the next post for the ez solution):

To Create Jail

• Open FreeNAS GUI
  • Click on Jails
  • Click on ADD
  • Type Jail-Name "e.g. Emby-server-Test-Jail" and Release 11.2
  • Click Next
  • Click DHCP and VNET
  • Click Next
  • Click Submit
  • Wait until Jail appears in Jail TAB
  • Click Jails
  • Click 3 dots on newley Created Emby Jail
  • Click in jail dropdown menu SHELL
  • Shell opens and should read root@Emby-server-Test-Jail
  • Install packages of your desire from that shell. (Sandbox system)

To Get Emby up and running

• Open Jail shell:
  • type

pkg update
  • type

pkg install nano
  • type

nano /etc/pkg/FreeBSD.conf
  • change the word "quarterly" to "latest" 
  • type

pkg update
  • type

pkg install emby-server
  • yes
  • wait
  • type 

service emby-server onestart
  • open http://jailip:8096
  • profit

Done

Alternatively you can install an old plex version or wait until FreeNAS realizes that plugins are out of date!

Thanks for this. Well written and just worked... what do i have have to type in shell when the next release comes out?