FreeNAS plugin

Luke

Thanks for the feedback! As for that last question, I guess we'd have to go over the specific example in detail. Thanks.

Eddie

@@Vidman

@@eraser8

in regards to my statement on June 15 that FN 11 was bad....im terribly sorry and completely out of date what i meant to say was FN10 didnt get good reviews i have no idea about FN11.. just wanted to clarify

PhilWhite

What message? I don't see anything. Thanks.

Sorry, wasn't showing up.  I'm going to try to put it in a regular jail and see how that works first.

PhilWhite

Sorry, wasn't showing up.  I'm going to try to put it in a regular jail and see how that works first.

Starting emby_server.                                                   

login class 'daemon' non-existent, using default                               

su: pam_start: system error                                                    

/usr/local/etc/rc.d/emby-server: WARNING: failed to start emby_server

Sorry, that was the message.  If I can get it to work in a standard jail, though, no problem.

Edited by PhilWhite

PhilWhite

Yeah, sorry, nevermind.  I just had to enable the avahi daemon.  Done.  Was able to use a regular plugin jail.  All good.  Sorry to bother.

• 1 month later...

I'm officially running emby in freenas via a ubuntu server VM with docker and portainer.  

Think this is going to be the way of the future.  No official docker support baked into freenas yet (that comes in FN 11.1), but it's pretty easy to set up in a VM.  

Was a PITA to get the container to auto-start with docker, but that's mostly my lack of understanding.  Hope with other apps it will be easier.  But with docker, you can stay with the latest and greatest version & have updates automated. It also feels faster, but I think that's bc my FN set-up got bloated over the years and over countless updates, there were db issues that never really got addressed.  

Anyway, if anyone is running the latest FN11 and wants some tips on setting up docker with emby, I can try to help. 

Edited by Hisma

josh4trunks

I'm officially running emby in freenas via a ubuntu server VM with docker and portainer.

Think this is going to be the way of the future. No official docker support baked into freenas yet (that comes in FN 11.1), but it's pretty easy to set up in a VM.

Was a PITA to get the container to auto-start with docker, but that's mostly my lack of understanding. Hope with other apps it will be easier. But with docker, you can stay with the latest and greatest version & have updates automated. It also feels faster, but I think that's bc my FN set-up got bloated over the years and over countless updates, there were db issues that never really got addressed.

Anyway, if anyone is running the latest FN11 and wants some tips on setting up docker with emby, I can try to help.

you could run emby in a jail on FreeNAS11 to get native ffmpeg performance

you could run emby in a jail on FreeNAS11 to get native ffmpeg performance

my understanding is that jails are eventually going away and docker will take over.  I didn't dabble with corral but from what I understood that was the eventual path.  For me transcoding is moot since I use shield TV & other high quality devices as clients.

Right now I have my jail and docker image both available.  I've stopped the plugin and am running docker exclusively to see if I notice any difference in quality/performance/quirks/etc.  So far, docker is running better, but I think that is primarily bc my plugin database is years old... probably 2-3 yrs old or more, and likely filled w/ some garbage & other things.  For one, in the plugin I had library folders that I would try to delete bc I no longer used them, but they'd always re-appear somehow.  Even deleting the folders from the jail emby would always re-add the libraries and try to scan them.  

Regardless, plugin is still a much user-friendly and easier option for now.  Getting docker up and running is command-line heavy and not straight forward at all.   I like messing w/ this stuff for fun so for me it was a cool experiment getting it all set up.  Docker is neat.

josh4trunks

my understanding is that jails are eventually going away and docker will take over. I didn't dabble with corral but from what I understood that was the eventual path. For me transcoding is moot since I use shield TV & other high quality devices as clients.

Right now I have my jail and docker image both available. I've stopped the plugin and am running docker exclusively to see if I notice any difference in quality/performance/quirks/etc. So far, docker is running better, but I think that is primarily bc my plugin database is years old... probably 2-3 yrs old or more, and likely filled w/ some garbage & other things. For one, in the plugin I had library folders that I would try to delete bc I no longer used them, but they'd always re-appear somehow. Even deleting the folders from the jail emby would always re-add the libraries and try to scan them.

Regardless, plugin is still a much user-friendly and easier option for now. Getting docker up and running is command-line heavy and not straight forward at all. I like messing w/ this stuff for fun so for me it was a cool experiment getting it all set up. Docker is neat.

FreeNAS 11 supports jails, that is not going away. it will even fully support a new plugin system iocage that is simpler and more reliable than the previous PBI system.

• Like 1

FreeNAS 11 supports jails, that is not going away. it will even fully support a new plugin system iocage that is simpler and more reliable than the previous PBI system.

I see... I don't know why I read that docker was going to replace jails.  I have never had anything against pbi system personally... it's extremely convenient.  I just dislike that you have to rely on using native bsd ports, which are ports of more robustly supported *nix versions that tend to be missing features and on much earlier revisions.  So it all comes down to who is actually maintaining the port.  Josh, you are very active here and do a fantastic job managing the emby plugin, so I think it's not an issue with you and the emby app, fortunately.  

But I know for a fact, other plugins go literally years w/o updates, when the native app is constantly being updated, and that's annoying since features get missed & bugs don't get addressed.  Docker is a good way to mitigate all that.  But there's of course trade-offs since docker is virtualized (I read that even in 11.1, it won't be native bsd, it will likely be a linux VM in order to fully support all the full docker features).  

Any way, I'm not going to distract from the work you're doing here.  I'm glad you're so actively maintaining the plugin with regular updates.  Gives us all options.

If I decide to do a guide for emby on freenas via docker, I'll post about it in the dedicated docker thread, or make a separate dedicated thread.  

josh4trunks

I see... I don't know why I read that docker was going to replace jails. I have never had anything against pbi system personally... it's extremely convenient. I just dislike that you have to rely on using native bsd ports, which are ports of more robustly supported *nix versions that tend to be missing features and on much earlier revisions. So it all comes down to who is actually maintaining the port. Josh, you are very active here and do a fantastic job managing the emby plugin, so I think it's not an issue with you and the emby app, fortunately.

But I know for a fact, other plugins go literally years w/o updates, when the native app is constantly being updated, and that's annoying since features get missed & bugs don't get addressed. Docker is a good way to mitigate all that. But there's of course trade-offs since docker is virtualized (I read that even in 11.1, it won't be native bsd, it will likely be a linux VM in order to fully support all the full docker features).

Any way, I'm not going to distract from the work you're doing here. I'm glad you're so actively maintaining the plugin with regular updates. Gives us all options.

If I decide to do a guide for emby on freenas via docker, I'll post about it in the dedicated docker thread, or make a separate dedicated thread.

thats cause they were originally planning on just offering docker. but made a bunch of changes shortly after corale was released.

not sure if there's an official post on it, and i think there was sone drama.

Edited by josh4trunks

• 3 weeks later...
BigFrosty92

Hey, I just updated to the .28 version and had to change the IP address of the server to get it to work in FreeNAS. Now it is no longer scraping. All the metadata settings are the same as they were previously. What could the issue be?

Hey, I just updated to the .28 version and had to change the IP address of the server to get it to work in FreeNAS. Now it is no longer scraping. All the metadata settings are the same as they were previously. What could the issue be?

Hi there @@BigFrosty92, we're sorry to hear about this. Can we please look at an example? Please attach the information requested in how to report a problem. Thanks !

Hey, no worries. I've attached the log below. The most recent thing should be me attempting to scan for missing metadata on a movie file.

All outgoing http requests are failing with a name resolution error. have you configured a network connection for the jail? it looks like emby server is unable to access the internet.

dutchieray

Greetings all,

I am using Freenas 11 and the Emby plugin (version 3.2.28.0) and bought a Lifetime key for 119 euros.

I entered the key and Emby tells me : thank you for supporting and i see the coin image. But all the functions that need Premiere inside the server and also the app on my android keeps asking me if I have a key?

Does anyone know how to resolve this issue?

Thanks in advance,

Raimond Albers

Greetings all,

I am using Freenas 11 and the Emby plugin (version 3.2.28.0) and bought a Lifetime key for 119 euros.

I entered the key and Emby tells me : thank you for supporting and i see the coin image. But all the functions that need Premiere inside the server and also the app on my android keeps asking me if I have a key?

Does anyone know how to resolve this issue?

Thanks in advance,

Raimond Albers

Hi, do those a devices have an internet connection to perform their validation? Thanks !

Baenwort

I'm having problems since I updated to 3.2.30 as none of my plug ins can successfully update nor are any of my scheduled tasks completing. I've restarted the plug in and rebooted the jail.

All my plug ins where up to date before I updated to 3.2.30 from 3.2.28 and all scheduled tasks completed fine on the prior version.

What information would be most helpful to help figure out why the update is linked to this new behavior?