FreeNAS plugin

Luke

I'm having problems since I updated to 3.2.30 as none of my plug ins can successfully update nor are any of my scheduled tasks completing. I've restarted the plug in and rebooted the jail.

All my plug ins where up to date before I updated to 3.2.30 from 3.2.28 and all scheduled tasks completed fine on the prior version.

What information would be most helpful to help figure out why the update is linked to this new behavior?

Many plugins probably need updating. I would go into the plugin catalog and check to see if newer versions are available.  If you also provide your emby server log i can offer further guidance. you can learn how to do that here:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/739-how-to-report-a-problem/

thanks.

What you may want to do is head over to the plugin catalog and install the latest versions of some of these manually, such as auto-organize and anime for example.

For tvmaze you should just remove that for now. It requires an update. The developer has been notified about it.

the reason why you're not getting automatic updates is because your machine is unable to reach our domain for whatever reason:

2017-09-09 14:18:10.050 Error HttpClient: Error NameResolutionFailure getting response from https://www.mb3admin.com/admin/service/EmbyPackages.json
	*** Error Report ***
	Version: 3.2.30.0

You may need to configure the network connection for the jail to allow that.

Baenwort

removed TV maze and it did not help.

However, I rebooted the entire FreeNAS and when it started back up Emby was able to apply the outstanding updates and did not give the error messages except the mb3admin.com error is still in the logs (see attached).

I've added it to the exception area of my PiHole but it still isn't resolving.  The only other source of blocking would be the OpenDNS having it on the block list somehow. The Jail does have a network connection and has access to the internet so that it can grab metadata updates. These work fine. I've even punched a hole in my firewall for the Emby ports and can connect to the server remotely via the Windows Phone Emby app via the cellular connection.

server-63640833575.txt

yea i don't think it's OpenDNS or everyone here would be having a problem. Something has got to be blocking it though.

Baenwort

Any suggestions? I've got an Edgerouter that is caching DNS queries pulled from OpenDNS family and a PiHole that I've added mb3admin.com to the do not block list to prevent one of the filter black lists blocking it. Emby works fine remotely when I open the port it uses. I'm not sure where else on my end I can check.

I'll set up a every few minutes ping script if it would help.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello there!

I'm running the Emby server plugin on FreeNAS, but the server has just been updated to version 3.2.32 whereas the plugin hasn't (still version 3.2.30).

My questions are:

Who takes care of updating the FreeNAS plugin? FreeNAS community or Emby staff/community?

Is there a way to update the server manually?

If there is, would it be a good idea or I'd risk breaking it?

Thank you.

josh4trunks

Hello there!

I'm running the Emby server plugin on FreeNAS, but the server has just been updated to version 3.2.32 whereas the plugin hasn't (still version 3.2.30).

My questions are:

Who takes care of updating the FreeNAS plugin? FreeNAS community or Emby staff/community?

Is there a way to update the server manually?

If there is, would it be a good idea or I'd risk breaking it?

Thank you.

I update it. Im a member of both communities =]

There is no way to update the current freenas plugin without the updated PBI file that i build.

If you did want to manually manage emby updates on FreeNAS without relying on anyone else you could install emby in a jail from ports, and manually update and rebuild (compile) the port any time you want to update.

You could break your install if you didn't do this process correctly each time, but nothing you couldn't fix.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
funsalami

I update it. Im a member of both communities =]

Josh - network shares (on a different device) are visible in Emby, and appear in the library, but will not play. No issue with files on the FreeNAS system. Any thoughts?

josh4trunks

Josh - network shares (on a different device) are visible in Emby, and appear in the library, but will not play. No issue with files on the FreeNAS system. Any thoughts?

does the log give any hints?

josh4trunks

Sure do, here's a link.

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_donations&business=joshruehlig%40gmail%2ecom&item_name=JRuehlig%20Technologies

I see the emby plugin currently is a version behind. I have been busy replacing the floors in my house the last few weeks, havent had much time for anything else but will get to updating everything soon.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hoping someone can shed some light on a problem I'm having.

For the past few weeks I've been trying to update from 3.2.30 plugin to the current one available (3.2.32).  But every time I try I get an error message "Error: Failed to download http://download.freenas.org/plugins/9/x64:"

I haven't made any changes to my FreeNAS rig nor have I made any router changes since my last upgrade which worked fine.  I even connected (via my desktop computer) to that plugin address and even download (again to my computer not the FreeNAS) the pbi file, so it can't be a router issue.  Also when I go to the Plugins tab on the FreeNAS it does connect and show all the available plugins.

I only get this message when I try to upgrade, so going to Installed tab within Plugins, turn off the Emby plugin within it's jail, then select the Update button.  And each time I've tried this for literally a couple of weeks now I get that failure to download message.

I'm a really stumped as to what the problem is.  If anyone can help it'd be appreciated.

I might be way off but.. what version of freenas are you running?

Stable 9.3 (FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201506292332 to be exact). 

Again, been updating the Emby plugin for literally years with this same setup.  Only the current update of 3.2.32 is having issues downloading.  It's really really really odd.

adrianwi

This could be a problem with the version of FreeBSD (9.3) that the jail (plugin) is running.  FreeBSD 9.3 went EOL at the end of 2016, and I started to encounter issues updating jails using pkg and ports shortly afterwards when I was still running FreeNAS 9.3.  Not specifically related to emby, but it could be the issue.

I'd strongly recommend updating FreeNAS to at least 9.10, which uses FreeBSD 10.3 (which isn't EOL until Apr 2018) although it's worth noting that VirtualBox isn't supported beyond 9.10.1-U4, which is the version I'm currently running.

FreeNAS version numbering is just plain crazy!

• Like 1

This could be a problem with the version of FreeBSD (9.3) that the jail (plugin) is running.  FreeBSD 9.3 went EOL at the end of 2016, and I started to encounter issues updating jails using pkg and ports shortly afterwards when I was still running FreeNAS 9.3.  Not specifically related to emby, but it could be the issue.

I'd strongly recommend updating FreeNAS to at least 9.10, which uses FreeBSD 10.3 (which isn't EOL until Apr 2018) although it's worth noting that VirtualBox isn't supported beyond 9.10.1-U4, which is the version I'm currently running.

FreeNAS version numbering is just plain crazy!

My FreeNAS is just for running an Emby server so it is actually fairly easy for me to try the upgrade even to 9.11.  Which seems like the right thing to do anyway.  The only reason I hadn't made any moves before was because this was just for emby and I really didn't need any of the improvements (not that I understand ANY of them anyway).

;)

But thanks, I will go ahead and go thru the recommended upgrade process and see if that fixes things.

adrianwi

I would recommended updating to 9.10 and then from there to 11.0, although you could try going straight to 11.

Either way, I don’t think that in itself will resolve the problem with the jail/plugin which won’t update and will still be based on the older version of FreeBSD. From my experience, after you’ve upgraded you’ll need to recreate the jail using the new template.

There shouldn’t be any reason why you can’t transfer the Emby user data between the jails to avoid loosing all the meta data, images, watched settings, etc. but you’d need to find where that’s saved when running the plugin and then SSH into FreeNAS to copy from the old to new jails. I actually have my Emby user data on a separate dataset and just mount it into the jail, although I’m using a manual jail and not the plugin.

Good luck....

I don't want to be a nag, but could we pretty please get the freenas plugin updated to the latest release?

Right now we have the .32 version which seems to lack the ability to disable the halloween theme and has the known overlay bug that got fixed in .35 ... the way things are, Emby is painful to use :(

I don't want to be a nag, but could we pretty please get the freenas plugin updated to the latest release?

Right now we have the .32 version which seems to lack the ability to disable the halloween theme and has the known overlay bug that got fixed in .35 ... the way things are, Emby is painful to use :(

In the meantime you can always use the online web app at

http://app.emby.media