Ubuntu

Luke

Where do we file bugs against the ubuntu install? I've found issues in the startup scripts, but I don't know where to report them.

Hi, welcome. You can create your own topic in this section of the forum.

Garmans

Hi is there currently an issue with the repo? 

running Ubuntu server 15.10

have added the key using 

wget http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:emby/xUbuntu_15.10/Release.key
sudo apt-key add - < Release.key

and added the repo with

sudo sh -c "echo 'deb http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/emby/xUbuntu_15.10/ /' >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/emby-server.list"

sudo apt-get update

however when I run the install nothing happens 

sudo apt-get install emby-server
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done

am I missing something? 

Thanks 

Hi,

I am having a similar issue reported in this thread in the Windows section:

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/32563-emby-server-locks-up-every-night/

Emby Server becomes unresponsive every night and all clients lose access to the server. I cannot even access the server through the web gui and I must restart it manually via command line for it to resume working properly. Seeing as this was reported in the Windows section, I was wondering if it is a known issue for Ubuntu users as well.

• 5 weeks later...
thefirstofthe300

Hurricane is working on a package for 16.04.  I don't know when he will have it done but it will probably be soon.

hurricanehrndz

Use 15.10. 16.04 is not up on obs yet. When it is there will be one

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Edited by hurricanehrndz

• 2 weeks later...
moein

hi

i'm new to emby...

so i decided to use emby in my ubuntu 14.04 laptop, i had installed it using tutorials in the official website

after that i tried sudo service emby-server command and it says : 'start: Job is already running: emby-server'

when i try to open http://localhost:8096 in my default browser it's not loading and 'unable to connect' message appears

hi

i'm new to emby...

so i decided to use emby in my ubuntu 14.04 laptop, i had installed it using tutorials in the official website

after that i tried sudo service emby-server command and it says : 'start: Job is already running: emby-server'

when i try to open http://localhost:8096 in my default browser it's not loading and 'unable to connect' message appears

Hi, welcome. Are you sure emby server is running? Perhaps try rebooting the machine. Let us know how it goes. Thanks.

hurricanehrndz

We are waiting for OpenSUSE to import the distro on obs. The 15.10 package should work fine

• Like 1

georgeberz

Installation Instructions

See http://emby.media/download

I installed fresh ubuntu 16.04 lts, then the link you provide

Can you please try it?

When emby installs, it cant even see a folder on its own boot hard disk.

I have posted this before and nobody seems to have an answer with the install dosent update permissions. you would think that it would update since this is an unmodified fresh install out of the box.

I think this goes to show the rudeness of the ubuntu community, as people post replies like I am supposed to know how to change permissions etc. I do not I am a retired person experienced with windows only.

Let me ask you all this should permissions not be set in the install? or if not and they are essential, why are instructions not clearly given. or was int instal designed to fail. ie abotoged by some command line coveting guru jealous of a gui interface thinking everyone should know terminal inside and out. MOST people in the world are not geeks.

Thank you for reading my ramble.

I ave installed 3x  reformatted etc. a virgin hard disk, etc. basic setup and install instructions are lacking. can anyone provide consistent information not a guess. try ity first in a virtual window or something, I have tried all the suggestions provided in other posts.

I especially like it when a hi level person asks you a question like they want to help then forget about you after you answer their questions that usually are demeaning.

George

hurricanehrndz

George,

Thank you for your response and insight.  This is going to sound like an excuse and so I am going to apologize prior to stating anything. Also, I'd like to mention that everyone here tries to help as much as possible. When we don't respond it is not out of malice. The issue is that since we are an opensource project most people around here are volunteers and lead busy lives. Now that the is out of the way...

Permission are a tough subject. For one since Linux is a security focused OS no matter the distribution permissions play integral part of that. We can not just circumvent security measures while we have root access to your system during installation. It would be highly irresponsible and who would trust the project? 

There is a great guide here about permissions that we hope helps our users get started.

Emby is packaged using best practice guidelines. Meaning since we are a system service we create a user and user group called emby upon installation. That user has limited access to your system. The reason for that is so that you the system administrator can further determine what access the service should have on your system.  We just can't upgrade your system to windows 10 because we want... 

Yes I'm a command line loving geek and no the package is not package to make your life harder, but rather to respect the trust you give me when my scripts and packages are being installed on your system. I don't think anyone in the community would respect me or even trust the packages if all of sudden I ran a search for all media files on your system and changed their permissions, on the contrary I would probably be crucified.

Anyhow, to help you...

Either the user emby needs to belong to additional groups that have read and write permissions to your media or you could change the user that executes the emby service.  The following information would go a long way to helping you...

1. Who owns the media right now? Please see the permission sticky.

2. What filesystem is the media being stored on?

I installed fresh ubuntu 16.04 lts, then the link you provide

Can you please try it?

When emby installs, it cant even see a folder on its own boot hard disk.

I have posted this before and nobody seems to have an answer with the install dosent update permissions. you would think that it would update since this is an unmodified fresh install out of the box.

I think this goes to show the rudeness of the ubuntu community, as people post replies like I am supposed to know how to change permissions etc. I do not I am a retired person experienced with windows only.

Let me ask you all this should permissions not be set in the install? or if not and they are essential, why are instructions not clearly given. or was int instal designed to fail. ie abotoged by some command line coveting guru jealous of a gui interface thinking everyone should know terminal inside and out. MOST people in the world are not geeks.

Thank you for reading my ramble.

I ave installed 3x  reformatted etc. a virgin hard disk, etc. basic setup and install instructions are lacking. can anyone provide consistent information not a guess. try ity first in a virtual window or something, I have tried all the suggestions provided in other posts.

I especially like it when a hi level person asks you a question like they want to help then forget about you after you answer their questions that usually are demeaning.

George

Edited by hurricanehrndz
  • Like 2

georgeberz

George,

Thank you for your response and insight.  This is going to sound like an excuse and so I am going to apologize prior to stating anything. Also, I'd like to mention that everyone here tries to help as much as possible. When we don't respond it is not out of malice. The issue is that since we are an opensource project most people around here are volunteers and lead busy lives. Now that the is out of the way...

Permission are a tough subject. For one since Linux is a security focused OS no matter the distribution permissions play integral part of that. We can not just circumvent security measures while we have root access to your system during installation. It would be highly irresponsible and who would trust the project? 

There is a great guide here about permissions that we hope helps our users get started.

Emby is packaged using best practice guidelines. Meaning since we are a system service we create a user and user group called emby upon installation. That user has limited access to your system. The reason for that is so that you the system administrator can further determine what access the service should have on your system.  We just can't upgrade your system to windows 10 because we want... 

Yes I'm a command line loving geek and no the package is not package to make your life harder, but rather to respect the trust you give me when my scripts and packages are being installed on your system. I don't think anyone in the community would respect me or even trust the packages if all of sudden I ran a search for all media files on your system and changed their permissions, on the contrary I would probably be crucified.

Anyhow, to help you...

Either the user emby needs to belong to additional groups that have read and write permissions to your media or you could change the user that executes the emby service.  The following information would go a long way to helping you...

1. Who owns the media right now? Please see the permission sticky.

2. What filesystem is the media being stored on?

I love ubuntu and I love emby that being said, I do appreciate all the work everyone puts into the program itself. I just think there is GEEK predijuce here. the GEEKS and I say that lovingly, as I feel I am a bit of a geek when it comes to windows.

Thank you for replying to the question.

All anyone had to say is the distro is does not work as is and you have to edit permissions. IE in the install instructions it should say now sudo this or that or group this or that.

I have tried NTFS, EXT4 NEITHER ONE WORKS It wont even work for a folder on the desktop on the boot hard disk! I have tried adding groups changing permissions all to no luck , wait a few days for answers and keep looking. this is total BS. I personally think it is defective.

Or simply saying what I have said, can you tell me how I should format a external usb drive for best performance, I am assuming ext4

then can you give me the steps I would need to do in order to change ownership of the drive change the group of the drive and change the permissions and or group of emby attached to bacause I CANT MAKE IT WORK I think current ubuntu/emby simply dose not work.

Please give all the permissions ie sholdnt it take like 2 mins to change permissions... I dont understand why it is all so complicated other that GEEKeese trying to intimidate and one up a common user or newbie.

Would you like to teamviewer into my machine?

I am not the only frustrated individual.

BOTTOM LINE

The installation instructions at below are misleading, over simplifying the process and not pointing it to how to fix.

https://software.opensuse.org/download.html?project=home%3Aemby&package=emby-server

ubuntu 16.04 I installed 15.10 instructions. even tried to install on ubuntu 15.10 same issue, no access to folders with videos in them, emby shows drive but not folders or files.

When someone make a distro, it should work if not you should have a file outlining EXACTLY What to do. do not make assumptions they know how to make permissions changes.

ie

install ubuntu with username = ubuntu and computer name ubuntuserver

install emby with username emby

then format a external usb3 hard disk via desktop in ubuntu format in ext4

etc.

That way a untrained person can try to debug his own configuration, ie whine whine whine my emby dosent work, well did you follow all the steps above,? no well I see you left your hard disk as NTFS, go back do what we said and see if the basic system works on your computer from a default position.

as a windows tech when in doubt format it out and start over. I know ubuntu is much more configurable etc... but for debugging and to be able to show someone that the software really does work, YOU HAVE TO BE ABLE TO EXPLAIN HOW TO MAKE IT WORK!

I still do not have ubuntu/emby working!

How do you want me to set up ubuntu user and system name and with emby, I am willing to do a fresh install with KNOWN parameters that will work.

George

hurricanehrndz

I will help you via teamviewer. Please pm me

hurricanehrndz

Fyi, I'm running Emby on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, No issues at all. 

Glad to hear. I believe users are. 

• 2 weeks later...
tallyman

Hopefully this is the correct place to post this...

First off I am a linux newbie, have been for over 13 years. Nothing sinks in. I just follow instruction and cut and paste. My wife is amazed by this for some reason.

Anyway I run a few headless linux boxes all running link mint 13(maya). One runs a few things (everything.exe/samba shares-for 3 kodi pi3's and an appletv/subsonic), but mostly emby, which I have really enjoyed fiddling with, even though on occasion I have wanted to throw the computer at all the people that have worked so hard making it...Sorry off-track again...

Ive been updating my emby server sporadically (Currently Version 3.0.5931.0) and just tried to update to the latest 3.0.5972 using xUbuntu 12.04 update which I have used in the past but there seems to be a problem as its not updating. 404 errors, duplicate sources, and the like. (full terminal copy/paste available upon request)

Will 12.04 be working soon?

Can I use a different xubuntu version? I believe mint 13 is based on ubuntu 12 which is why I havent tried a different version.

Please note: If I screw up this linux box I will never, ever be able to put humpty dumpty back together again...The main reason I have never changed from mint 13.

Thanks in advanced for any help.

sorry for sounding crazy/

• 2 weeks later...
jalonerhgan

Is there a comprehensive guide that details how to install Emby from the command prompt from a fresh Ubuntu install? I have seen bits and pieces but nothing from start to finish that actually works (I have limited knowledge of Ubuntu) and need something that does not "assume" steps. Would be willing to donate if such a guide is present. Thanks.

joe

• 2 weeks later...
Delphi

sudo sh -c "echo 'deb http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/emby/xUbuntu_15.10/ /' >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/emby-server.list"
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install emby-server
Edited by Delphi

• 2 weeks later...

For those using the dev and beta channels, we had some build issues over the last few days that prevented new updates from being published.

Thanks to help from @@fc7 we've tracked it down, and dev and beta updates have resumed as normal. The latest builds of Emby Server should be available shortly. 

The latest versions also include fixes for Mono 4.4. Please try it out and report your experience. Thanks.

bearfamily

I just moved my emby server to a new machine and though the application appears to be installed correctly, my library can't be played. Anything I try to play throws an error about "Video Error: There was an error playing the video". Not a super helpful error. In the logs I have a little more information, but not much. Do you guys have any ideas here?

2016-07-03 09:56:04.4625 Error HttpServer: Error processing request for /emby/Packages/Updates?PackageType=UserInstalled
    *** Error Report ***
    Version: 3.0.5973.0
    Command line: /usr/lib/emby-server/bin/MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe -programdata /var/lib/emby-server -restartpath /usr/lib/emby-server/restart.sh
    Operating system: Unix 4.4.0.24
    Processor count: 24
    64-Bit OS: True
    64-Bit Process: True
    Program data path: /var/lib/emby-server
    Mono: 4.4.0 (tarball Tue Jun 14 13:41:51 UTC 2016)
    Application Path: /usr/lib/emby-server/bin/MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe
    Error: NameResolutionFailure
    ServiceStack.HttpError
    No Stack Trace Available

Hi there, sorry to hear that. Can you please attach complete log files. All of these ones that were modified during that time. Thanks.

chattojimnow

Please move if this is the wrong spot. dipping my toe into ubuntu (ubuntu 16.4) and want to know how to enable the emby server to self start on startup. can do it manually and it asks for password but surely theres a way to do it automaticly.

TIA

Pixelpaule

Hey, i've tried to install Emby-Server on a fresh Ubuntu 16.04LTS system. I've tried the manual installation with the terminal and the package installation. But emby doesn't start. Do I have anything in addition to install?

Hey, i've tried to install Emby-Server on a fresh Ubuntu 16.04LTS system. I've tried the manual installation with the terminal and the package installation. But emby doesn't start. Do I have anything in addition to install?

Hi, welcome. can you please describe the error in more detail? thanks.