Ubuntu

Luke

running ubuntu server 15.10 - its a plain install with emby and a few other programs added (tv headend plus some others).   so I think this is systemd and not upstart?

hurricanehrndz

If systemd is the managing emby start and stop then restart should work flawlessly. It was the distribution used for all testing and development of the restart script

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

hurricanehrndz

How far did you get through the troubleshooting guide on the wiki?

dkalejta

I feel a bit dense for asking this, but are there any clear instructions anywhere for updating Emby server on Ubuntu?

Apt-get update - > apt-get upgrade emby-server appears to upgrade to the latest version, but then the emby service is not recognized. While it appears to be running on reboot,  I can't stop/start with 'service emby-server start/stop/restart' and its unavailable via :8096

Same results from running apt-get remove -> install via https://software.opensuse.org/download.html?project=home%3Aemby&package=emby-server

I don't want to waste anyone's time troubleshooting, but I also can't find a nice little bulletpoint list of 'How to update' to make sure I'm not doing something idiotic (I'm pretty new to Ubuntu Server/Linux in general). Thanks for any help you can provide.

hurricanehrndz

That is exactly how you upgrade, there seems that a bug has crept into our stable releases and we are trying to address it.

hurricanehrndz

Please post the logs, there should be a system log for emby startup /var/log as well. Also, could you please provide any info regarding which version you are coming from

Hi

I'm having some serious problems with my Emby install.

Was previously running an older version fine.

There are two of us who access the installation.

My friend tried to update Emby a couple of weeks ago and it failed so he left it. It was running fine though afterwards.

Today it wasn't running, so I took a look.

Basically I'm at a crossroads.
Running Ubuntu 14.04, I've installed the relevant latest Emby version but I cannot for the life of me get it running.
I go to http://ip:8096and just get "ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED" or "This web page is not available".
Occasionally I get a "No data received".

If I continually try to refresh I occasionally see the URL forward to http://ip:8096/web/index.htmlor http://ip:8096/web/wizardstart.html but then it dies again.

I've managed, with continual refreshes to get as far as a bit further in the wizard, even to the point of putting my Emby Connect username in, but then it dies again.

I do occasionally get a grey screen too.

I've searched and searched these forums, and I'm sure the answer is starting me in the face but I just can't find it.

I can start/stop/restart the service using :

service emby-server start|stop|restart (With and without sudo).

I've changed the user in /etc/emby-server.conf by adding the following line

EMBY_USER=root

Also tried adding the user root to the emby group

chowned the /var/lib/emby-server folder (not recursive) to root:root

The file at /var/log/upstart/emby-server.log just has multiple recurrences of 

+ echo Starting emby-server
Starting emby-server
+ set
+ logger -t /proc/self/fd/9 DEBUG: IFS='
'
OPTIND='1'
PATH='/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/bin'
PPID='1'
PS1='# '
PS2='> '
PS4='+ '
PWD='/'
TERM='linux'
UPSTART_INSTANCE=''
UPSTART_JOB='emby-server'
+ exec /usr/bin/emby-server start
Edited by j0nezy

hurricanehrndz

Hi

I'm having some serious problems with my Emby install.

Was previously running an older version fine.

There are two of us who access the installation.

My friend tried to update Emby a couple of weeks ago and it failed so he left it. It was running fine though afterwards.

Today it wasn't running, so I took a look.

Basically I'm at a crossroads.

Running Ubuntu 14.04, I've installed the relevant latest Emby version but I cannot for the life of me get it running.

I go to http://ip:8096and just get "ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED" or "This web page is not available".

Occasionally I get a "No data received".

If I continually try to refresh I occasionally see the URL forward to http://ip:8096/web/index.htmlor http://ip:8096/web/wizardstart.html but then it dies again.

I've managed, with continual refreshes to get as far as a bit further in the wizard, even to the point of putting my Emby Connect username in, but then it dies again.

I do occasionally get a grey screen too.

I've searched and searched these forums, and I'm sure the answer is starting me in the face but I just can't find it.

I can start/stop/restart the service using :

service emby-server start|stop|restart (With and without sudo).

I've changed the user in /etc/emby-server.conf by adding the following line

EMBY_USER=root

Also tried adding the user root to the emby group

chowned the /var/lib/emby-server folder (not recursive) to root:root

The file at /var/log/upstart/emby-server.log just has multiple recurrences of 

Please post the following files:

/var/log/emby-server.log

/etc/default/emby-server

/etc/emby-server

/etc/sudoers.d/emby

/var/log/emby-server.log : 01_var_log_emby-server.log.txt

/etc/default/emby-server : 02_etc_default_emby-server.txt

/etc/emby-server.conf : 03_etc_emby-server.conf.txt

/etc/sudoers.d/emby : 04_etc_sudoers.d_emby.txt

I assume the third was the .conf file? (/etc/emby-server does not exist without the .conf extension)

I've also added .txt extensions to the files to allow me to upload them as attachments.

hurricanehrndz

Well I believe your issue is in the first log:

Native stacktrace:

¦   /usr/bin/mono-sgen() [0x4b8028]
    ¦   /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0(+0x10340) [0x7f76b8744340]
    ¦   /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(gsignal+0x39) [0x7f76b83a5cc9]
    ¦   /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(abort+0x148) [0x7f76b83a90d8]
    ¦   /usr/bin/mono-sgen() [0x62d029]
    ¦   /usr/bin/mono-sgen() [0x62d22f]
    ¦   /usr/bin/mono-sgen() [0x62d376]
    ¦   /usr/bin/mono-sgen() [0x58b5ad]
    ¦   /usr/bin/mono-sgen() [0x58b710]
    ¦   /usr/bin/mono-sgen() [0x62729e]
    ¦   /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0(+0x8182) [0x7f76b873c182]
    ¦   /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(clone+0x6d) [0x7f76b846947d]
Corlib not in sync with this runtime: expected corlib version 117, found 138.
Loaded from: /usr/lib/mono/4.5/mscorlib.dll
Download a newer corlib or a newer runtime at http://www.mono-project.com/download.

Debug info from gdb:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/29988698/teamcity-nunitlauncher-running-on-linux-mono-gives-corlib-not-in-sync-with-th

This issue might be due to a plugin you have enabled. I would first try a purge of all mono packages and a re installation. If not perhaps try the solution at the bottom where the user talks about the raspberry pi. 

hurricanehrndz

You might also want to try backing up your emby data. And doing a clean reinstall and see if it loads. If it does then my bet is that it is a plugin that you have enabled that is causing issues.

Thank you :)
I've just tried the quickest solution (The raspberry pi post). No joy.
Will look at the other two solutions. No idea where to start!

Thanks again :)

Actually. I've just given the server a little reboot and now /var/log/emby-server.log is just showing this

nfo, Main, Emby
        Command line: /usr/lib/emby-server/bin/MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe -programdata /var/lib/emby-server -restartpath /usr/lib$
        Operating system: Unix 3.13.0.46
        Processor count: 8
        64-Bit OS: True
        64-Bit Process: True
        Program data path: /var/lib/emby-server
        Mono: 4.2.1 (Stable 4.2.1.102/6dd2d0d Thu Dec  3 04:04:55 UTC 2015)
        Application Path: /usr/lib/emby-server/bin/MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe
appHost.Init
Info, App, Application version: 3.0.5854.31461

Then I checked again 30 seconds later and it showed this

Command line: /usr/lib/emby-server/bin/MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe -programdata /var/lib/emby-server -restartpath /usr/lib$

64-Bit Process: True
        Program data path: /var/lib/emby-server
        Mono: 4.2.1 (Stable 4.2.1.102/6dd2d0d Thu Dec  3 04:04:55 UTC 2015)
        Application Path: /usr/lib/emby-server/bin/MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe
appHost.Init
Info, App, Application version: 3.0.5854.31461
Info, App, Application configuration:
        {"EnableUPnP":true,"PublicPort":8096,"PublicHttpsPort":8920,"HttpServerPortNumber":8096,"HttpsPortNumber":8920,"EnableHttps$
Info, App, Loading MediaBrowser.Api, Version=3.0.5854.31450, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
Info, App, Loading MediaBrowser.WebDashboard, Version=3.0.5854.31445, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
Info, App, Loading MediaBrowser.Model, Version=3.0.5854.31439, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
Info, App, Loading MediaBrowser.Common, Version=3.0.5854.31440, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
Info, App, Loading MediaBrowser.Controller, Version=3.0.5854.31441, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
Info, App, Loading MediaBrowser.Providers, Version=3.0.5854.31442, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
Info, App, Loading MediaBrowser.Common.Implementations, Version=3.0.5854.31441, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
Info, App, Loading MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations, Version=3.0.5854.31443, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
Info, App, Loading MediaBrowser.MediaEncoding, Version=3.0.5854.31452, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
Info, App, Loading MediaBrowser.Dlna, Version=3.0.5854.31451, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
Info, App, Loading MediaBrowser.LocalMetadata, Version=3.0.5854.31452, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
Info, App, Loading MediaBrowser.XbmcMetadata, Version=3.0.5854.31452, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
Info, App, Loading MediaBrowser.IsoMounting.Linux, Version=1.0.5131.24779, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
Info, App, Loading MediaBrowser.Server.Mono, Version=3.0.5854.31461, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
Info, App, Loading MediaBrowser.Server.Startup.Common, Version=3.0.5854.31454, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
Info, SqliteUserRepository, Sqlite 3.8.2 opening /var/lib/emby-server/data/users.db
Info, SqliteFileOrganizationRepository, Sqlite 3.8.2 opening /var/lib/emby-server/data/fileorganization.db
Info, AuthenticationRepository, Sqlite 3.8.2 opening /var/lib/emby-server/data/authentication.db
Info, SyncRepository, Sqlite 3.8.2 opening /var/lib/emby-server/data/sync14.db
Info, ImageMagick, ImageMagick version: ImageMagick 6.9.2-8 Q8 x86_64 2015-12-21 [url=http://www.imagemagick.org]http://www.imagemagick.org[/url]
Info, ImageProcessor, ImageProcessor started with 8 max concurrent image processes
Info, App, FFMpeg: /var/lib/emby-server/ffmpeg/20150917/ffmpeg
Info, App, FFProbe: /var/lib/emby-server/ffmpeg/20150917/ffprobe
Info, SharingRepository, Sqlite 3.8.2 opening /var/lib/emby-server/data/shares.db
Info, ActivityRepository, Sqlite 3.8.2 opening /var/lib/emby-server/data/activitylog.db
Warn, App, ffmpeg is missing decoder h264_qsv
Info, SqliteDisplayPreferencesRepository, Sqlite 3.8.2 opening /var/lib/emby-server/data/displaypreferences.db
Warn, App, ffmpeg is missing decoder mpeg2_qsv
Info, SqliteItemRepository, Sqlite 3.8.2 opening /var/lib/emby-server/data/library.db
Warn, App, ffmpeg is missing decoder vc1_qsv
Info, SqliteProviderInfoRepository, Sqlite 3.8.2 opening /var/lib/emby-server/data/refreshinfo.db
Info, SqliteUserDataRepository, Sqlite 3.8.2 opening /var/lib/emby-server/data/userdata_v2.db
Info, SqliteNotificationsRepository, Sqlite 3.8.2 opening /var/lib/emby-server/data/notifications.db
Info, HttpServer, Calling ServiceStack AppHost.Init
Edited by j0nezy

I did manage to get in last night (Which I have done before).

Connected through port 8096, started the wizard and chose the language.

Then when choosing a username and opting to add my Emby Connect username, I put it in and it just wouldn't 'take it', kept throwing up errors asking me if I'd actually signed up for Emby Connect.

Removed the username and it still refused to proceed, instead giving a general error (I forget the actual text).

I *did* then manage to log into app.emby.media though and the server was listed on there and I could browse it's properties etc, although it was an empty server with no libraries and just one user.

Now this morning, none of it is working again. :(

hurricanehrndz

Please see if restarting the server works. I can not help you emby connect you will need to post to the appropriate forum for that.

Hi hh :)

Right, after messing about with the config files I decided to remove all traces of emby/emby-server from the server.

Deleted all files, everything.

Updated what libraries I could and then rebooted.

Reinstalled emby-server via apt-get. Still failed.

I did notice when having a look at var/log/emby-server.log (I usually use nano to browse logs), it was different every time I loaded it, so I realised it was wiping the log on each startup, thus showing that emby was loading, logging then quitting and restarting.

So running tail -f on /var/log/emby-server.log I watched it and found this interesting snippet recurring

Info, HttpServer, Adding HttpListener prefix https://+:8920/
Running startup tasks

(gnome-open:6038): GConf-WARNING **: Client failed to connect to the D-BUS daemon:
Unable to autolaunch a dbus-daemon without a $DISPLAY for X11
GConf Error: No D-BUS daemon running

Error showing url: Operation not supported
Info, App, Core startup complete
Info, SsdpHandler, MultiCast socket created
Cannot handle address family 58112
Stacktrace:

at <unknown> <0xffffffff>
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Net.Dns.GetHostByName_internal (string,string&,string[]&,string[]&) <0xffffffff>
  at System.Net.Dns.GetHostByName (string) <0x00047>
  at System.Net.ServicePoint.get_HostEntry () <0x00203>
  at System.Net.WebConnection.Connect (System.Net.HttpWebRequest) <0x001ab>
  at System.Net.WebConnection.InitConnection (object) <0x00293>
  at System.Net.WebConnection.<WebConnection>m__0 (object) <0x0001f>
  at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.WaitCallback_Context (object) <0x00048>
  at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal (System.Threading.ExecutionContext,System.Threading.ContextCallback,object,bool) <0x0016e>
  at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run (System.Threading.ExecutionContext,System.Threading.ContextCallback,object,bool) <0x00020>
  at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem () <0x00053>
  at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch () <0x001d6>
  at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallback () <0x00008>
  at (wrapper runtime-invoke) <Module>.runtime_invoke_bool (object,intptr,intptr,intptr) <0xffffffff>

Native stacktrace:

/usr/bin/mono-sgen() [0x4a1df8]
	/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0(+0x10340) [0x7fec172b0340]
	/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(gsignal+0x39) [0x7fec16f11cc9]
	/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(abort+0x148) [0x7fec16f150d8]
	/usr/bin/mono-sgen() [0x62bdc9]
	/usr/bin/mono-sgen() [0x62bfcf]
	/usr/bin/mono-sgen() [0x62c072]
	/usr/bin/mono-sgen() [0x626f15]
	/usr/bin/mono-sgen() [0x57a916]
	[0x40df98f7]

Debug info from gdb:

=================================================================
Got a SIGABRT while executing native code. This usually indicates
a fatal error in the mono runtime or one of the native libraries
used by your application.

tail: /var/log/emby-server.log: file truncated
Info, Main, Emby
	Command line: /usr/lib/emby-server/bin/MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe -programdata /var/lib/emby-server -restartpath /usr/lib/emby-server/restart.sh
It does repeat itself but the above is the section I believe is pertinent. Seems like it could be something to do with Mono as you mentioned above.

Running mono -V gives me a version of 4.21

Right, I've purged all packaged prefixed with mono via apt-get.

Reinstalled mono-complete as per the official mono site, and reinstalled emby-server.

Still starting up then quitting, giving the following error in the log

Running startup tasks
Info, App, Core startup complete
Info, SsdpHandler, MultiCast socket created

(gnome-open:2581): GConf-WARNING **: Client failed to connect to the D-BUS daemon:
Unable to autolaunch a dbus-daemon without a $DISPLAY for X11
GConf Error: No D-BUS daemon running

Error showing url: Operation not supported
Cannot handle address family 49920
Stacktrace:

at <unknown> <0xffffffff>
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Net.Dns.GetHostByName_internal (string,string&,string[]&,string[]&) <0xffffffff>
  at System.Net.Dns.GetHostByName (string) <0x00047>
  at System.Net.ServicePoint.get_HostEntry () <0x00203>
  at System.Net.WebConnection.Connect (System.Net.HttpWebRequest) <0x001ab>
  at System.Net.WebConnection.InitConnection (object) <0x00293>
  at System.Net.WebConnection.<WebConnection>m__0 (object) <0x0001f>
  at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.WaitCallback_Context (object) <0x00048>
  at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal (System.Threading.ExecutionContext,System.Threading.ContextCallback,object,bool) <0x0016e>
  at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run (System.Threading.ExecutionContext,System.Threading.ContextCallback,object,bool) <0x00020>
  at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem () <0x00053>
  at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch () <0x001d6>
  at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallback () <0x00008>
  at (wrapper runtime-invoke) <Module>.runtime_invoke_bool (object,intptr,intptr,intptr) <0xffffffff>

Native stacktrace:

/usr/bin/mono-sgen() [0x4a1df8]
	/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0(+0x10340) [0x7fe4dbe49340]
	/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(gsignal+0x39) [0x7fe4dbaaacc9]
	/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(abort+0x148) [0x7fe4dbaae0d8]
	/usr/bin/mono-sgen() [0x62bdc9]
	/usr/bin/mono-sgen() [0x62bfcf]
	/usr/bin/mono-sgen() [0x62c072]
	/usr/bin/mono-sgen() [0x626f15]
	/usr/bin/mono-sgen() [0x57a916]
	[0x4136b097]

Debug info from gdb:

Got a SIGABRT while executing native code. This usually indicates
a fatal error in the mono runtime or one of the native libraries
used by your application.

tail: /var/log/emby-server.log: file truncated
Info, Main, Emby
I'm at the end of the road now, no idea what else to try.

hurricanehrndz

What is the kernel version of your system? You might also want to create a separate thread to get others attention other than just posting here.