Kodi Beta version discussion thread

im85288

e123enitan

You mean the Titan skin submenu, I suppose ?

There's indeed some strange issue that the submenu won't work directly after a fresh reboot. If you opened up a section once it will work (and keep working)...

I'm still trying to figure out what causes this... will let you know as soon as I've found the solution.

I can confess to that, but I just add them manually work fine- great skin work fawless,

Marcel-My MB3 have genres according to -Action, Adventure, Comedy, Drama, Horros etc, could you possible add this option in your skin it will be nice :)

Thanks for the great work

Edited by e123enitan

shaefurr

Yeah I meant the titan skin :) Glad to know you're aware of it. At least the workaround is simple

e123enitan

CPU -ARMv7, Core 4
Kodi (14.0-RC2)
XBMB3 repo .9.726
Titan -Bita load quick and run smooth
CPU usage reduce compare to previous, not sure reason for the high usage,  
All the issues previously reported are gone, such as reloading menu twice, Erro scripte, URL server connection   
Noticed slight improvement in the loading page, not sure why but I noticed "Jason Parsing" something new
movies plays very fast - Waaaaaoooo
Awesome Job guys- you’ve make wife and kids very happy

shaefurr

One thing ive noticed is when first loading kodi, I cant scroll down to the submenus unless I first enter a movie/tv/music etc. collection first then back out to the homescreen. I have the submenus set to autohide.

marcelveldt

One thing ive noticed is when first loading kodi, I cant scroll down to the submenus unless I first enter a movie/tv/music etc. collection first then back out to the homescreen. I have the submenus set to autohide.

You mean the Titan skin submenu, I suppose ?

There's indeed some strange issue that the submenu won't work directly after a fresh reboot. If you opened up a section once it will work (and keep working)...

I'm still trying to figure out what causes this... will let you know as soon as I've found the solution.

marcelveldt

Yeah I meant the titan skin :) Glad to know you're aware of it. At least the workaround is simple

I finally managed to fix it. Will provide a new beta version later today

• Like 1

im85288

Can we try and keep this thread for the MediaBrowser addon issues in the beta repo rather than skin issues. Just keeps it cleaner for all concerned, thanks.

Edited by im85288
  • Like 1

e123enitan

I finally managed to fix it. Will provide a new beta version later today

I shall review when I get home  thanks for the great work

im85288

There's a new version available 0.9.728

This version adds the alternative play action (i.e. show the alternate info dialog) to the Random, Latest, Suggested and Playlist widgets. Excluded from this are the In Progress and Next Up widget items. 

shaefurr

Didn't have my logs turned on for this, but this is the second time now I went to load Kodi and it said it couldnt connect to host, after checking my settings in the MB plugin my server IP and username/password that I had entered manually were set back to the default values. Not a big deal to fix, ill try and catch a log on it next time.

EDIT: I didnt check what version I was running before/after I reloaded it, maybe its doing this after an update?

Edited by shaefurr

EnemyAce

Didn't have my logs turned on for this, but this is the second time now I went to load Kodi and it said it couldnt connect to host, after checking my settings in the MB plugin my server IP and username/password that I had entered manually were set back to the default values. Not a big deal to fix, ill try and catch a log on it next time.

EDIT: I didnt check what version I was running before/after I reloaded it, maybe its doing this after an update?

The same thing happened to me. Started with not being able to connect to host, and then the server settings were lost. Also the settings for default views wouldn't stick. Yesterday it got even worse. When I launched Kodi the 1080 skin I was using was completely gone as if I had uninstalled it. Using Kodi nightly from last week and the MediaBrowser beta repo and addon.

shaefurr

Yeah happened to me again, It wasn't even after an update, I was just browsing my movies then in the middle I got an unable to connect to host error, went and checked and all my settings were reset. Had happened the other day too so of course my log setting was reset and didnt catch it again.

EDIT: Think I caught it in the log this time, while fast browsing movies it just errors out and resets all the settings. https://www.mediafire.com/?9hj9t2i0hf6qccq

Edited by shaefurr

b0dyr0ck2006

They say a picture speaks a thousand words, so here is a video.....

When I view the info on a movie and return to the menu without watching it, the system just stops. I have to back out to the main menu screen first and then back into the movie sub folder before it will show me anything again. Each and every time I browse into a menu it builds the list, is there no way we can store this info on the Pi? I have an 8gb card sitting there with only the OS on, seems foolish not to utilise this space......

xnappo

It is cached to the card.  It is not the time to pull the info over the network, but rather the time to parse the cached data on the card into memory.  This has to be done using Python, and it is excruciatingly slow on the Pi.

I am working on a speed-up - but it is only a 2x speedup which is still really slow.  You can try 'fast movies' in the beta repo for a preview.

My advice:

- Use a tablet to browse and play-to the Pi

- Use native XBMC and just use Trakt to sync the two

- Buy a FireTV or NUC

Of course there is one more option: Port MBT to Linux :D

xnappo

Edited by xnappo
  • Like 1

b0dyr0ck2006

I understand that python has to parse the cached info, I'm very vague with javascript but is there anyway that the parsed data can be stored and pulled on demand or does it have to rebuild it each time?

Ive always been under the impression that javascript is a slow and resource hungry code, clearly not ideal for Pi. Would it not just be simpler to recode the system? something like this shouldn't take a handful of half decent coders long at all.

Unless the mediabrowser iOS app has been updated recently then this isnt an option. It just doesn't seem to work correctly at 'play-to'. 

Native XBMC didn't seem to like my network setup, I couldn't get it to view my shared folders right and then having to setup Trakt on top of the other stuff I have hosted just seemed plain stoopid all to give me the same functions that Mediabrowser does.

Linux isn't an option. Would mean setting up another pc in the network running as the server. We have too many machines here as it is.

This is an xmas present for my dad, and already bought. My PC is effectively running as the server for the house.

Ideally, if it was me, I would just have a full HTPC in the front room and there wouldn't be any issues but dad feels this makes too much noise and im not paying to upgrade to watercooled etc etc

His sony tv browses all my files perfectly and natively but the GUI is anything but usable. A 2 year old could design better, plus it does not track what has been watched or not etc

xnappo

I understand that python has to parse the cached info, I'm very vague with javascript but is there anyway that the parsed data can be stored and pulled on demand or does it have to rebuild it each time?

Yeah, that is the crux of the problem.  Any native system built to work with a remote database would read the number of items to be displayed, then display those, then query for 20 items, fill them in, then continue to background load/fill.

But with XBMC we are locked into the AddOn structure, which requires that you pass the complete directory listing - and that takes a long time to build on the Pi.

The only alternative would be some sort of 'more' entry, so like display 30 entries, then have a 'more' button.  But to me that is almost more annoying.

We have put a lot of time into investigating the Pi, but it us just not a good platform for this architecture.

If you have a 'handful of decent coders' at your disposal, go for it.  Not sure what you mean by 'recode the system' - rewrite XBMC lol?

xnappo

Edited by xnappo
  • Like 1

xnappo

That said - please test 'Fast Movies' and let me know if it is better for you.  I am getting close to having this an available option for user collections too.

Edited by xnappo
  • Like 1

b0dyr0ck2006

Why have XMBC left us in the ADD-On section? Competition? I assume XBMC is built on Python then? Seems an odd code to decide to use if you want an across the board user base.

OK so rolling with the Remote database line.... Your server machine is hosting xyz number of media files....your client pulls this database and caches the information.....each time XBMC requires this information it rebuilds the cached data to a python code and displays it.......

So my logic is thinking should it be more like:

Your server is hosting xyz number of media files.....your clients pulls this database (once a day or user defined period) and caches the information.....XMBC reads and recodes this list to a cached Python code.....each time you pull a menu Python just has to run this quick script to display

The database info only needs to be pulled rarely unless you are adding to it hourly. This whole process seems a bit long winded and would be beneficial to very system not just the Pi

I think you may be wrong about the Pi not being a good enough platform, it is in essance an ipad. The issue is the bloatware that has been built into XBMC. It is a brilliant bit of software, if you are running it on a pc. If I was using a PC I would use Mediabrowser instead. I currently have mediabrowser server on my machine supplying three clients around the house as it is.

As for a handful of coders, this forum alone holds a plethoria of coders. Raspberry Pi forums again have more than you can imagine. The internet has millions. You laugh at the concept of rewriting XBMC but is it really that much of a bad idea? It is usually the limitations of a product that brings the dawn of some new amazing, groundbreaking concepts and technology. Look at torrents. Many many sites have been pulled in the last week and we are on the dawn of some new, amazing stuff about to emerge.

xnappo

Respectfully, please do some research into how XBMC works and what an AddOn is. 

If we were to put time into something, it would be porting MBT to Linux, not messing about with XBMC code.

In the meantime - please try 'Fast Movies' and report back.  Your description of an idea on how to speed things up is actually pretty close to what it does.

Note that I said the Pi is not good for this architecture.  That means using a script on top of a program meant to run on a full powered PC with a remote database.  If we wrote something from scratch for the Pi, yeah it would be just fine.   I estimate it would be 3 volunteer man years to do it though.

xnappo

Edited by xnappo
  • Like 1

b0dyr0ck2006

Respectfully, this is why we have forums. The Romans designed forums, and what is the reason for this? For discussing ideas and sharing information. We use these to enter into dialog with each other and use shared interests to achieve end goals. I'm sure I could gleam all the information i wanted from across various boards but I would be a lurker and not input anything. At least, here, discussing with you, Ideas are being passed and other have the chance to chip in.

Could you explain to me why porting to linux seems to be number one on your list? Is that because of the broad range of products linux can run on?

I Completely agree with you though, MBT/MBS should be oits own standalone system on every device and not rely on any thirdparty as a base, it is a powerful system with a massive following and has the ability to beat everything on the market

Again I will have to respectfully disagree with you on that one. 3 volunteer man years?? Perhaps with the number of developers here and the amount of freetime you guys have then yes but if you opened the development and pulled from everywhere you could I doubt it would take that long at all. One college student could build this system on his own in a year. Have you seen some of the amazing stuff these guys can do??

xnappo

You do realize the Pi is running Linux right?

Please try the 'Fast Movies' and let me know how much faster it is.

Feel free to prove me wrong.  Keep in mind the add-on so far has taken 3 volunteer man years.  Please - go recruit people to contribute.

xnappo

Edited by xnappo

shaefurr

Must have been a typo there.

Keep in mind the add-on so far has taken 1 college student year.

• Like 2

b0dyr0ck2006

I'm fully aware that Raspberry is running linux, or at least for this setup. I'm also aware that Pi can run any of these other languages too: C, C++, C#, Java, JavaScript, Python, Perl, Ruby, VB

Which opens up the spectrum for coding dramically, one could also build the whole thing in xcode if you so wished. I may not be a programmer but I am well versed in computers and what works.

Its not about 'proving you wrong' mate, its about putting our heads together and trying to find a viable way to make things work. Surely this is whole reason you became a programmer in the first place? The fun in trying to build and compile something to achieve a particular goal. Do you think Steve Jobs and Bill gates would have got where they are today if they had the attitude 'it will take too long and quite frankly I cant be bothered'? 

I will try 'Fast Movies' as this is now the third time you have suggested it to me and I will report back in the correct thread.

I will also mention here that it would be really helpful if we could have a sub forum for Raspberry Pi as finding information on this branch is nion impossible. The information os spread too thinly across too many threads/topics.

Any ideas as to why when coming out of 'Movie Info' it doesnt refresh the listings?

xnappo

Okay, I am not going to respond any more to the 'I am not a programmer, but if I was ...' line of this thread any more as it is not fruitful.

Movie Info doesn't refresh because it is a separate window from the listing window.  It is full screen though, so there is know way for the users to be able to tell that subtle difference.

xnappo